Go Back   Aelyria > World > Worldforge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2017, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

[Wiki Articles] Esh'lahieri Language (Discussion)

I'm wondering whether anyone has done any work on Esh'lahieri language? Or is adding more species languages simply a level of complexity that we don't need?

I know that the terms Esh'lahieri and Esh'lahien are used as possessives.

Moranor greets people with the term 'Ver'dara' which is meant to be similar but different to the Elvan 'Ve'dui'.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Moranor Andares; January 1, 2017 at 01:33 AM.
Moranor Andares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2017, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

To be honest, we've kind of gotten away from creating entire languages for the different races. I know that we still have a huge amount of work that past collaborators (Mimesis comes to mind) did, but I don't think it's a thing that's actively sought out.

That said, if it's your niche and something you're interested in, then go for it!
Old January 1, 2017, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

That's fair enough.

I was originally thinking of doing Eshie culture in a series of short and sweet articles on different aspects. Then I found your write-up and figured it had already been done.

I guess I'd like to do some Eshie stuff, but I'm not sure what else would be helpful. I'm open to suggestions.
Old January 1, 2017, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Esh'lahier have always been a bit of a quandary given that upon arriving on the Medonian continent, they almost instantly dispersed. It's been discussed that the language of Ethgan'tor, for instance, would probably most resemble that spoken in K'Terak and thus shared with the Vysstichi there--so may be somewhat intelligible to Vysstichi. Esh'lahier who settled other places would probably have begun to amalgamate the local language and made their own dialects that would, in turn, be unintelligible to those in Ethgan'tor. This would probably apply to culture and local customs too--where every settlement would be unique and vary based on geographical location.

Ethgan'tor the city is in a bit of a flux, at the moment. The entire world thinks the city was destroyed in the Fog that beset Lauryl, but in actuality they survived due to a massive political upheaval amongst the noble houses. However, Faust Kitrye'veresi is using the chaos to sow his own, so the future state of the city (and therefore culture, etc.) is really questionable at the moment.

Years ago I was working through the history of the city via their monarchial histories (see http://www.aelyria.com/wiki/Aledat_of_Ethgantor) but I didn't get very far.

Last edited by Charybdis; January 1, 2017 at 04:20 AM.
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2017, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Just keep in mind we're not going terribly crazy with the cultural articles any more. I can see language having a short blurb in a cultural article but I wouldn't do a whole wiki article in language. As Malia said, we've moved away from that. People have spent too much time diving into the minutiae which, while not terrible, is nonetheless a lot of work that no one (or rather very few) people actually use. It would be nice instead to see updated articles on Ethgantor, that sort of thing.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

Fair enough.

How about some short and snappy overviews of different aspects of Esh'lahieri culture, without going into too much detail? After all, it is ultimately cultural differences that make the races interesting, otherwise we're all just funny-looking humans that age differently.

Last I heard Ethgan'tor had disappeared, so I'm not really sure what's happened with that. Perhaps it's something I'd be better off investigating ICly, and then writing up? I know that Moranor would love to find out what happened to it.
Old January 6, 2017, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Well, the thing with culture is that a lot of it tends to be determined by location. Even a whole race has variations according to location. Ethgantor eshies are different from empire eshies. So enveloping an entire culture over a whole race can get a little tricky. We had intended to integrate culture based by location articles rather than into racial articles but that got a little slowed down.

Hence why I suggested maybe focusing on Eth rather than anything else. Malia's sort of the gatekeeper on that well of knowledge!

It never hurts to go check things out IC and see what the current status is!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

The culture article you linked earlier is Ethgan'torian only, indeed, so that's relatively coveted.. The current state of Ethgan'tor is a very limited IC-only secret. As far as anyone in the empire knows, it was destroyed with the rest of Lauryl due to the Fog. Only a very few handful know differently and only one knows what it's actual current state is (which as mentioned before, is still very much in flux due to big events still being RPed).