Go Back   Aelyria > World > Worldforge

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2016, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

[Game Mechanic] Measuring favour with the Gods (Discussion)

I'm currently involved in a couple of threads where PC are seeking favour with various Gods or Planetars, and it occurred to me that, whilst we assiduously record experience and skill development, we don't do the same for standing with the Gods. Given our active pantheon and the number of people seeking favour, I'm wondering whether this might be something we could add as a game mechanic?

As with skills, the moderator of a thread would award a +1 favour point (or even a -1 favour point) with a particular deity as a result of a character's actions, if they warranted it. We could have a wiki guide indicating what sort of things found favour, or disfavour, with particular deities.

To take an example, working hard and taking risks in order to rescue animals, preserve green space, making significant offerings to her church etc, might all win favour with Carmelya. Raizing a forest to build a factory would earn disfavour. Obviously killing priests and defiling places of worship earns disfavour.

I imagine that favour and disfavour points would be harder to earn than experience points for a skill, or alternately more of them would be required to progress a level in favour. Any level progression would require moderation, but it could provide a more structured pathway for those wishing to become Champions of the Gods.

Levels of favour could then be used by mods to work out how likely a prayer is to be answered, whereas disfavour could bring about bad luck associated with that God's sphere of influence.

Thoughts?
Old November 21, 2016, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

So something like the brand system?
Old November 21, 2016, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

So there's a few problems with the idea of trying to track favor (or lack there of).

1. A lot of us admins would do away with experience points entirely, if we could figure out the best fair system to replace it...but we can't. The idea of adding another number system on top of one we don't already necessarily even like makes me at least a little twitchy.

2. The pantheon is a really complex thing. We have Aetheria, we have Aeternia but we have other deities beyond those, too. We have old gods coming back plus planetars. There's a ton of gods within each system and some of their areas overlap. There's a lot going on. Deciding what actions necessarily impact what favor (or disfavor) is not a black and white system. Just because someone razes a forest doesn't mean that Xenar (or Carmelya) will smack you with a disfavor point. Just because you did something honorable doesn't mean Aslan is going to give you a thumbs up. There's a wide range of what interests or angers a deity and I feel that the point system sort of detracts from the complexity of the issue.

3. A lot of people think we do things a little willy nilly with the gods because they can't visually see their progress in some neatly bundled pack of steps. But we do keep track of these things--in characters' individual SOFs and in a Godex we keep behind the scenes. It's a very small group responding to PMD tickets so it's very easy for us to track people's movements and actions in the "god world." But breaking into the god world isn't easy, which is why favor and disfavor aren't very straightforward. It takes a LOT to get the notice of a god--something big, something that a god would have a hard time ignoring. Which is why we start small and people take a long time to make progress and headway.

As someone with a branded character, things can take time. But as long as the character is obvious in their devotion, rewards do come down the pipeline! They just probably won't be in the form of favor points

(But, yes, Jeffrey posted something I was going to post as well - our brand system \o/)
Old November 21, 2016, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Kavelle is unknown and forgotten
I'm mostly neutral about this, but leaning towards the status quo.

Reaching a higher level brand depends on the whims of a god; leveling up a skill requires experience, deliberate practice, and experimentation. You simply can't be an expert alchemist without actually doing a lot of alchemy, so it makes sense to use XP for that. But it is at least theoretically possible for a god to give away all their powers to their worst enemy if they wanted to. A character's past record is just one factor that a god would take into consideration, and so tracking that isn't quite as important as for skill development.

Tracking it like XP could also create the false expectation that a PC deserves to be a champion or get some divine favor simply because they have the XP. This probably already happens with the current system but I imagine this idea would make it more prevalent. Also, gods like Aslan are for more liberal in handing out rewards to followers than other ones like Orod or Ioannes, and then there are ones like poor Srennius who, at least for the foreseeable future, probably can't award championships or other divine favors even if he/she wanted to.
Old November 21, 2016, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Moranor Andares is a benevolent AdventurerMoranor Andares is a benevolent Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

The brand system is probably the closest to what I'm thinking of, I couldn't find that page in the Guides when I wanted it, so thanks Indefinite!

The point about the whims of Gods and what impresses them being less obvious and step-wise than a skill progression is a very good one.

Nimh, I thkn that what you've said about what goes on behind the scenes probably covers the rest of what I was thinking. I guess with the whole peer-mod thing I was under the impression that everything that was going on was where we could see it; I should have known better!

I think then between the Brand system and the behind-the-scenes tracking, everything I'm trying to cover has been covered, which is great.

As you were!
Old November 23, 2016, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Aerys Nardaquilli is a glorious SuperheroAerys Nardaquilli is a glorious SuperheroAerys Nardaquilli is a glorious SuperheroAerys Nardaquilli is a glorious Superhero

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion/question, not meant to offend or discourage anyone from both the players and especially the mods.

With the current moderation being 95% peermod, is it perhaps not possible for staff to warn certain peermod when they do a thread with someone that could lead to a brand or favor?

Because as you said, there's indeed the SoF and the Godex, but peermods can't access or look at any of those and are thus unaware of a character's progress in certain obscure fields.

Now I know it isn't easy for the handful of staff to deal with basically everything for like 100 players, but a heads up may always be an option (that is if it isn't already done).

Though in a way I also admit that I am starting to feel a bit of disdain towards threads that seem to be solely geared for the purpose of getting a god, deity, whatev's favor/brand, especially when as a peermod you're requested to do a lot of those but have no idea if there's any impact at all (not to mention at some point you start becoming repetitive with your thread-plots xD )
Old November 23, 2016, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aim To Misbehave...

Maddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious Superhero

We can and have. I've walked through several Peer Mods that it's a possibility in the events that they're doing and provided information from the SoF/Goddex based upon what's taken place in the past and where the PC is most likely headed.

Cheers, Maddyn
Old November 23, 2016, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Closing up \o/
Closed Thread