Go Back   Aelyria > World > Worldforge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Abelard Paek is an upstanding Citizen
[Wiki Article] VELDAR ELITE (Discussion)

The purpose of this thread is to collect information already RPed regarding the Zerdargia based mostly dwarven military organization called the:

VELDAR ELITE

Eventually, I could like to take some existing information, some new information/creativity, and turn it into a wiki article giving an overview of the VE.

The goals of this thread are as follows:

1) Collection of information: If anyone has any relevant information regarding the history, composition, organization, members, customs/tradition, etc, please post it with a link to the corresponding source of information. I will maintain a list of threads with information at the top of this thread.

2) Discussion: I expect there will be some differing points of view regarding the VE. I highly promote discussion and the expression of opinion regarding anything to do with the VE. It is likely not everything will end up in the final article, and that some things in the final draft will not line up perfectly with all existing RP for the VE, but this will hopefully spurr some interest in the VE and promote growth within the PC ranks for the organization.

3) Compile draft: After sufficient quality information has been gained/discussed in steps 1/2, I will compile a draft wiki article in a format consistent with the existing theme in the wiki. Once complete, this draft will be posted in a separate thread linked to this one in accordance with the preferred creative process for the Worldforge.

Feel free to post thoughts and ideas, even if there are no existing sources for them.
Abe's CIR // Plot Hooks, Interests, & Reward Suggestions (Updated 13 Dec 15)
Abelard Paek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adventurer

Information collection

Current as of the edit date/time listed below.

INFORMATION:
Zerdargian Codex --- NON-CANON --- Lists some organizational structure, composition, and ranks --- Realmcraft, 6 yrs old.
A Primer to the Military --- CANON --- General overview of Aelyrian Military types.
History of Early Centripax --- CANON --- Some history of Zerdargia, Veldar, and the previous kingdom of dwarves.

ACTIVE CURRENT MEMBERS:
- Ulfgar Wulson
- Abelard Paek

ACTIVE FORMER MEMBERS:
- Calaban

INACTIVE MEMBERS:
-

Last edited by Abelard Paek; November 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Updating
Old November 16, 2015, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Draft writeups

Wiki Draft Information based on discussion

ABSTRACT
--------------------
General overview of the location, purpose/function, etc of the VE.
Draft? "The Veldar Elite are likely a small to mid-sized local paramilitary force based out of Zerdargia whos reach, influence, and protection would be felt to varrying degrees throughout the north, east, and south-southeast Centripax. They are frequently called upon by the Imperial Army to assist with the protection of Centripax from internal militant threats. Their "Elite" status, is moreso an homage to their military heritage, but also represents their focus on very rigorous training standards as well as their discipline and ferocity in battle."

HISTORY
--------------------
TBD, include who Veldar is, when the VE was founded and by whom? Progression and significant events up to and including the undead war in Zerdargia and the Xet Invasion.
- Starts no earlier than era ~9300 when Veldar came into the picture.
- 1x paragraph very early VE
- 1x paragraph history of how it became the organization it is now
- 1x paragraph the effect of the undead war and the Xet invasion.

SOLDIERS
--------------------
Infantry - Brief statement regarding standard VE infantry
Cavalry/Mounted - Brief statement regarding standard VE cavalry (limited numbers of cavalry I could assume?)
Scouts/Intelligence - Brief statement regarding standard VE scout/recce troops (some mounted some not?)
Artillery - Brief statement regarding standard VE artillery and their machines of war (small but effective, strong capability due to the knowledge and expertise of dwarven smiths/engineers, primarily defensively oriented in line with the lack of Aelyrian "conquest" style armies.)
Security Service - Brief statement regarding standard VE security service.
Administration & Support - Brief statement regarding standard VE service & support (Includes medical, engineers, tradespersons.)

Brief statement on likely training received over the course of their career. Along the lines of "The training given to Veldar Elite members is among the best in the empire, consisting of both weapons training, group fighting, leadership, and trade skills as required by their position. This training never ceases through the career of the soldier, meaning the Veldar Elite veterans end out some of the most capable fighters and trades-persons in all of Aelyria."

LIFE/CAREER OF VE SOLDIER
--------------------
1-2 Paragraphs regarding the expected tasks for the average VE soldier. Every soldier, including administrative/support cycle through the expected combat taskings to ensure all VE soldiers are experienced battle hardened fighters.

COMPOSITION
--------------------
Description of the breakdown of troops (eg section, platoon, company, etc). Also lists how the ranks fit into each group type. List equal opportunity for either gender and any race, though dwarves/cethers dominate make up the majority with humans, and giants filling in some positions.

CONTRIBUTORS
-------------------
Names of the major contributors.

Last edited by Abelard Paek; November 18, 2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

So my initial thoughts regarding the VE portion of the Zerdargian Codex, is its a good start. I feel though it would be much better for the creative fantasy environment of Aelyria to have differing rank names from those you would expect to see in a modern military. Also, as a military man myself, and one who has studied military history, I feel the officer ranks and enlisted ranks should be a little more separated versus a natural progression.

To put it in perspective, the likelihood of a junior officer (ex. Lieutenant) being equally skilled at combat than a senior enlisted man (ex Master Sergeant) is almost zero. In that writeup, they both have a requirement of level 2 (professional) weapon/job skill.

Finally, the VE is a MILITARY force at its core. Like any military force, its members must be trained to fight at a minimum at the most basic level. Having a senior officer (ex Commander) with zero combat skill having achieved rank solely through a trade skill is simply not realistic for any military force.

Here are some suggested ranks in order, and their minimum skill requirements. Time based requirements may be waived in exceptional circumstances; usually in the form of battlefield promotions or promotions due to exceptional actions and display of skill well above and beyond the current rank:

COMBAT ENLISTED
Whelp: Unskilled, untrained
The rank held by recruits currently undergoing basic training for the VE. Promoted upon completion.

Trooper: Novice combat skill, VE Basic Training (Lore)
New members, inexperienced, with only limited training.

Zealot: Novice combat skill, 1 combat expedition/event, 4 months experience.
Still limited training; however, the zealot has proven themselves in battle on at least one occasion where they performed honourably. This promotion is an acknowledgement of their valour.

Shieldmate/Shieldmaiden: Professional combat skill, VE Advanced Training. Proven himself during at least 2 separate expeditions, during which at least one must have resulted in combat, 4 months of experience at the Zealot rank.
The Shieldmate has proven his abilities and professionalism.

Guardsman: Professional combat skill, 2 incidents of combat, 6 months of experience at the Shieldmate rank, basic leadership qualification (lore)

Dragoon: Veteran combat skill, 3 incidents of combat, 6 months of experience at the Guardsman rank, Intermediate Leadership Qualification (lore)

TRADESMAN ENLISTED
Whelp: Unskilled, untrained
The rank held by recruits currently undergoing basic training for the VE. Promoted upon completion.

Sapper: Novice combat skill, VE Basic Training (Lore)
New members, inexperienced, with only limited training. Has only begun to learn the trade, or their skill is still being assessed by the senior enlisted.

Apprentice: Novice combat skill, Novice trade skill
Still limited training; however, the zealot has proven themselves to have a baseline skill above the average citizen at their chosen trade. This promotion is an acknowledgement of their valour.

Craftsman: Novice combat skill, Professional trade skill, VE Advanced Training.
The Craftsman has proven his trade skill abilities and professionalism. He can not act independently and oversee the work of an apprentice.

Artisan: Novice combat skill, Professional trade skill, basic leadership qualification (lore)

Chief Artisan: Professional combat skill, Artisan trade skill, Intermediate Leadership Qualification (lore)

COMBAT OFFICER
Cadet Whelp: Unskilled, untrained

Cadet: Novice combat skill, VE Basic Officer Training, Basic military tactics (Lore)
The cadet serves under a Vanguard, their main purpose being to learn from the example of the Vanguard. This is an important stage for any direct entry officer, as it is where the enlisted men gain confidence in their future leaders and their abilities.

Vanguard: Professional combat skill, basic leadership qualification (lore)
Still limited training; however, the Vanguard has proven their ability to lead small groups of troops in battle on at least one occasion where they performed well. This promotion is an acknowledgement of their valour. An enlisted Guardsman who gains their commission automatically attains the rank of Vanguard upon completion of basic military tactics course.

Commander: Professional combat skill, intermediate leadership & intermediate military tactics (lore)
Proven himself as a leader of at least 2 separate expeditions at the platoon level, during which at least one must have resulted in combat. A Dragoon may be promoted immediately to this Commander after having completed intermediate military tactics in addition to acting as the platoon 2IC during at least one combat operation.

TRADESMAN OFFICER
Cadet Whelp: Unskilled, untrained

Cadet: Novice combat skill, Professional trade skill, VE Basic Officer Training, Basic management (Lore)(Lore)
The cadet serves under a Curator, their main purpose being to learn from the example of the Curator. This is an important stage for any direct entry officer, as it is where they learn how to enforce standards of work for the enlisted men.

Curator: Professional combat skill, Professional trade skill, basic leadership qualification & intermediate management (lore)
The Curator is in charge of the day to day management of a platoon of tradesmen. Oversees quality control, production efficiency, supply logistics, and training for their troops.

Master Curator: Professional combat skill, Artisan trade skill, VE Advanced Training.
The Master Curator has the same duties as the Curator, except at the company level. Additionally, is is expected the Master Curator will have a focus on the professional development of those under his command in order to improve the skill trades. This can include limited research and development activities.

SENIOR OFFICER

These ranks are shared between combat and trades. They are the strategic leadership ranks of the VE.

Warbrand

Greybeard

Marshall

Grand Marshall

In terms of simple military organizational structure:

Combat
Patrol/Section - 8 members, commanded by a Shieldmate
Squadron/Platoon - 32 mbrs, commanded by a Vanguard with Cadet 2IC (4 sections)
Company - 130 mbrs, commanded by a Commander (4 platoons, plus 2 leadership staff
Battallion - 526 mbrs, commanded by a Warbrand (4 companies, plus 6 leadership staff and their personal support staff)
Brigade - 2110 mbrs, commanded by a Greybeard (4 Battallions, plus 6 leadership staff and their personal support staff)
Legion - 4230 mbrs, commanded by a Marshall (2 Brigades, plus 10 leadership staff and their personal support staff)

The two regular force legions, plus the entire reserve force commanded by the one Grand Marshall.

Each combat Battallion will have 4 combat companies and 1 trades company attached to each. This means from the battallion level up, add 25% to the above numbers for tradespersons, and another 10% for administrative and logistics staff. This would make the VE regular force a total of approximately 11634 members or about 7.75% of the population of Zerdargia. This is in line with as an example, the Roman military in real life.

A trades company consists of a platoon for each of, medical, blacksmiths, cooks, engineers.

I'm tired, so I'm going to bed now. I think this is a good start, what do you all think?

Last edited by Abelard Paek; November 16, 2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

VE Pay Scale(per month):

ENLISTED
Trooper/Sapper - 300 cr
Zealot/Apprentice - 400 cr
Shieldmate/Craftsman - 475 cr
Guardsman/Artisan - 600 cr
Dragoon/Chief Artisan - 800 cr

OFFICERS
Cadet - 375 cr
Vanguard/Curator - 650 cr
Commander/Master Curator - 1100 cr
Warbrand - 1500 cr
Greybeard - 2200 cr
Marshall - 3000 cr
Grand Marshall - 7000 cr
Old November 16, 2015, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Heya very quick comment, but the specific pay thing wouldn't happen with the wealth ratings - no need for that level of detail! Keep it at steel, bronze, copper etc x
Old November 16, 2015, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Luminary

Wealth Tier: Steel
Calaban is a famous HeroCalaban is a famous Hero

This is a great idea Abe, I will see if I can string together some information to aid with your research.

I seem to recall this was attempted years ago with mixed results. It seemed people were more interested in creating a Veldar Elite in their own image, rather than trying to piece together the actual unit as it had been played out on the boards.

Heres hoping you have much better success.

Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Ulfgar Wulfson is a famous HeroUlfgar Wulfson is a famous Hero

I'm on my phone so I’ll keep this succinct.

Regarding the ranks perhaps keeping the same number as I don’t really see the need for more unless there is a genuine RP reason that I’m missing?

Perhaps make rank names more dwarf-centric as the Veldar is dominated by dwarves and located in Zerdargia? For instance Zealot reminds me of a frothing religious mad man and Dragoons are/were cavalry.

Longbeard, greybeard, shieldbearer, housecarl/huscarl, hearthguard, forgeguard, hammerbearer, clansman, Valkyrie, berserker are some that could be used. But i play Ulfgar as a Nordic/Scandinavian dwarf and not a Warcraft Scot Dwarf.

Last edited by Ulfgar Wulfson; November 17, 2015 at 01:28 AM.
Ulfgar Wulfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

Sheng Kaldres is a benevolent Adventurer

Serale!

Dropping in after a long break and this caught my attention.

The Veldar Elite....that is an interesting topic. Not sure what is the status of the Legions and such. There is also the question of Imperial, Provincial and city scale thing. At one point, the Veldar Elite was an Imperial Legion thing and then switch to provincial and then to city. So that is that.

The link to the old Imperial Legion is below.

The Imperial Army (6th Draft)
Old November 17, 2015, 04:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Adventurer

My understanding of the VE is they are technically a independent city military which provides security and protection for the entirety of the Dwarflands which accounts for a little over half the total land area of Centripax. This makes their size more akin to a provincial military than a city guard. I'd expect they occupy Midpoint Fortress (on a separate note, did this survive the Xet invasion? Or at least survive enough the dwarven engineers would be able to repair/reconstruct? Or is it a ruin?).

I see somewhat of a division between Dargis and Primus Gaudeo. The responsibility for protecting PG would be on the shoulders of the Empire, not the VE, as PG itself does not fall in the Dwarflands. Many of the mines which support the PG economy; however, are in the Dwarflands and therefore the routes to and from as well as the mine areas themselves would be under VE protection.

I think it would also be good to have a section on daily duties and the perhaps modify it to include some basic law training as well to reflect their nature as law enforcement as well as military.
Old November 17, 2015, 07:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Okay. Please disregard Sheng's link to the Army draft. It's irrelevant.

Instead, please read up on this link, which will ultimately guide you to write-ups for the Army & Navy: A Primer to the Military - Aelyria

Please take note of the write-ups' formats. We are no longer playing the number game in Aelyria. As such, there will be no mention of crowns for salaries or the down-to-the-number quantity of soldiers. Nope. Not happening!

11634 members just sort of makes me want to faceplant

Please use those write-ups as a guide for yours!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Adventurer

For whatever reason why I first looked I only saw Sheng's post.... Now I discuss the rest lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay'aan Malinconico View Post
Heya very quick comment, but the specific pay thing wouldn't happen with the wealth ratings - no need for that level of detail! Keep it at steel, bronze, copper etc x
I pondered this as well. Initiatally I was thinking of it being written moreso as an IC book, but I think you are right. For the sake of keeping things consistent, easy to relate into actual RP, I think you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
This is a great idea Abe, I will see if I can string together some information to aid with your research.

I seem to recall this was attempted years ago with mixed results. It seemed people were more interested in creating a Veldar Elite in their own image, rather than trying to piece together the actual unit as it had been played out on the boards.

Heres hoping you have much better success.
Yeah, I'd like to use as much from already RPed sources as possible, while also hammering out some of the 'realities' of operating a military force. The only real thing that irks me about some of the existing RP is the use of standard modern western nation military ranks in a fantasy environment. I feel having a fantasy themed rank structure would help to make the VE unique and distinguish it from real life as well as the imperial army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfgar Wulfson View Post
I'm on my phone so Iíll keep this succinct.

Regarding the ranks perhaps keeping the same number as I donít really see the need for more unless there is a genuine RP reason that Iím missing?

Perhaps make rank names more dwarf-centric as the Veldar is dominated by dwarves and located in Zerdargia? For instance Zealot reminds me of a frothing religious mad man and Dragoons are/were cavalry.

Longbeard, greybeard, shieldbearer, housecarl/huscarl, hearthguard, forgeguard, hammerbearer, clansman, Valkyrie, berserker are some that could be used. But i play Ulfgar as a Nordic/Scandinavian dwarf and not a Warcraft Scot Dwarf.
Yeah, I had some difficulty coming up with the actual rank names. I guess what we'd need to decide on is whether the foundation for the VE (and in effect dwarven culture in general) is more the Nordic variety or the Fantasy (Warcraft, LotR, Warhammer, etc). I personally see it as a combination of the two as it allowed PCs/Mods to RP out either side based on their personal preferences.

If we look at the names from the codex, Clan Burk, Clan Derisson, Clan Goldbrick, and Clan Weatherstone, two use the more nordic and two use the more fantasy naming schemes which supports to blended theory.

As for the number of ranks, there is a functional reason for the increase. Simply put, there was not enough rank distribution for the size of the army. Going back as far as the Roman legion (which was one of the primary military cultures that developed the foundation for quasi-modern military tactics (as opposed to just my 1000 men charge your 1000 men and fight in single combat until one side is dead) the smallest individual unit was a section of 8 persons. This number was key because with 8 persons you can make:
Code:
xxx
x x
xxx
formation, aka the hollow square or all around defense. With any smaller size than that, it would detract from the capability of the all around defense. Additionally, it allows easy organization of pairs, where 2 pers = a pair, 2 pairs = a squad, 2 squads = a section. If you have a group of 10, you will always have odd men out which don't necessarily fit into and easily divided plan.

If you factor that each 8 person section requires a leader, and within the section you will have a relatively even breakdown of experienced soldiers to inexperienced "fresh meat", that means at the most basic level, this 8 person group will have something in line of 1x leader (sgt), 3-4x experienced, 3-4x inexperience troops. The (using modern formation named) overall command of group size escalation would be:

Section - 8 pers - Sgt
Platoon - 32 pers - Lt
Company - 128+ pers - Capt
Battallion - 512+ pers - Col
Brigade - 2048+ Cmdr
Legio - 4096+ ???
Entire VE - ~24576+(2x Reg force Legions, 3-5x reserve legions) ???

Meaning we have two full rank levels unaccounted for using only 4 officer ranks. We also need to have a 'command' level enlisted rank to account for the growing responsibility as the senior enlisted appointment for larger formation sizes.

Now one option would be to escalate the size of the formations significantly faster, eg instead of having 4x platoons in a company, have 8 (256+ pers), then instead of 4x companies in a battallion have 8 (2048+ pers) but then you have the issue of maneuverability of resources. They are the Veldar ELITE, not Veldar Regulars. History has shown time and time again since warfare has been recorded, that smaller, more mobile, groups will be more effective than larger groups that lack maneuverability. To put it in context, compare the military tactics of the Romans vs the Greek (Macedonian) Phalanx. The phalanx was defeated by the romans because the romans were more mobile. The phalanx was a forward facing spiked brick, but due to the extremely dense immobile nature of the formation, they were vulnerable to attack from the sides as they could not effectively turn the formation to face a new direction without leaving themselves vulnerable to the foes they were already fighting. Further along in time, the Carthagineans (sp?) won major victories by out maneuvering the Romans, and the uprising of Sparticus used very small guerilla style attacks to outmaneuver and eventually defeat numerous Roman legions before they were ultimately destroyed. (FYI they were destroyed only when they stupidly abbandoned their small party tactics and tried to defeat the Romans in open large scale warfare.)

I know that's alot to take in, but I think it explains in reasonable terms where a few more ranks are required when you are talking about a force as large as the VE.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Okay. Please disregard Sheng's link to the Army draft. It's irrelevant.

Instead, please read up on this link, which will ultimately guide you to write-ups for the Army & Navy: A Primer to the Military - Aelyria

Please take note of the write-ups' formats. We are no longer playing the number game in Aelyria. As such, there will be no mention of crowns for salaries or the down-to-the-number quantity of soldiers. Nope. Not happening!

11634 members just sort of makes me want to faceplant

Please use those write-ups as a guide for yours!
Understood. I think more-so discussion of the realistic numbers is important to determine how many tiers of ranks/formations would be required rather than to have the actual numbers in the article. At most, my intent was to put a general statement of the total number (eg. The VE consists of roughly 10000 regular force and 15000 reserve force personnel).

Also, with that wiki article in mind, contrary to my previous the VE would not be used to protect Midpoint Fortress, but based off existing RP would likely be patrolling the area as it is within the Dwarflands.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelard Paek View Post
VE Pay Scale(per month):

ENLISTED
Trooper/Sapper - 300 cr
Zealot/Apprentice - 400 cr
Shieldmate/Craftsman - 475 cr
Guardsman/Artisan - 600 cr
Dragoon/Chief Artisan - 800 cr

OFFICERS
Cadet - 375 cr
Vanguard/Curator - 650 cr
Commander/Master Curator - 1100 cr
Warbrand - 1500 cr
Greybeard - 2200 cr
Marshall - 3000 cr
Grand Marshall - 7000 cr
The above is scrapped in favour of:

VE Pay Scale (by Wealth Tier):

ENLISTED
Trooper/Sapper - Bronze(or Sterling)
Zealot/Apprentice - Sterling
Shieldmate/Craftsman - Sterling
Guardsman/Artisan - Steel(or Sterling)
Dragoon/Chief Artisan - Steel

OFFICERS
Cadet - Sterling
Vanguard/Curator - Steel(or Sterling)
Commander/Master Curator - Steel
Warbrand - Ardentium(or Steel)
Greybeard - Ardentium
Marshall - Ardentium
Grand Marshall - Adamantite

Thoughts?

Last edited by Abelard Paek; November 17, 2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

If I'm honest, I don't even really see the point of including the pay scale at all. It's minutiae that ought to be easily discerned by reading the wealth guide. We don't have pay scales included in other write-ups.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote