Go Back   Aelyria > World > Worldforge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2015, 06:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Steel
Ulfgar Wulfson is a famous HeroUlfgar Wulfson is a famous Hero

I only mention it as GM Timothy created or at least significantly developed the VE so imagine this would be as close to the original organization of the VE as you might find?
Old November 17, 2015, 06:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Aim To Misbehave...

Maddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious Superhero

It's very, very safe to say that the Veldar are not as numerous as they were in previous iterations. They were one of the forces that fought at Primus Gaudeo during the Xet Invasion along with the Daelgian forces of the Marquis Ironfist (*Not* the Dwarves King, they didn't honour the agreements to the Imperium/Governor) who was subsequently Exiled.

Just something to keep in mind given this is recent IC history, and it's not like Dwarves are a super populous race for re-filling the ranks.

Cheers, Maddyn
Maddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 06:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Abelard Paek is an upstanding Citizen
Maddyn, do you by chance have a thread link for where the Veldar elite was fighting the Xet Invasion?
Abe's CIR // Plot Hooks, Interests, & Reward Suggestions (Updated 13 Dec 15)
Abelard Paek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 07:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Aim To Misbehave...

Maddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious SuperheroMaddyn is a glorious Superhero

[Xet Invasion] Donít Get Lost In Heaven
Maddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015, 08:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Luminary

Calaban is a famous HeroCalaban is a famous Hero

Quote:
I'll respond to this using 100% canon based resources to provide context to the primarily dwarven nature of the the VE.
Guess I am guilty of being away for 10 years. That info wasn't canon before, I can only guess that someone re-wrote it to fit the vision they had for the Veldar. I didn't see that when I was pulling out information for you or else I wouldn't have bothered mentioning the flawed premise of calling the Veldar a Dwarven army.

I know that the origins of the Veldar were covered rather extensively in the Children of Jorel quest which pre-date these boards. Between the Children of Jorel quest and the work done by Timothy, that is the basis for most of what I know about the Veldar. Unfortunately, the COJ quest predates these boards and so it appears that makes it non-canon in nature.

Since someone has already gone through the trouble of creating a history for the Veldar It would seem to make sense to just focus your attention on the Veldar going forward.

I think everyone telling you the VE is greatly diminished is probably on the correct path. There seems to be plenty of IC information that would lead to that same conclusion.

That would also give a great place for PC's to join and help build up the ranks again. A decimated unit should have ample opportunites for advancement for PC's that interested.

In any event you appear to be well off on this project, and I look forward to seeing your draft write up.

Keep up the good work Abe.

Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015, 08:56 AM   #36 (permalink)
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Guess I am guilty of being away for 10 years. That info wasn't canon before, I can only guess that someone re-wrote it to fit the vision they had for the Veldar. I didn't see that when I was pulling out information for you or else I wouldn't have bothered mentioning the flawed premise of calling the Veldar a Dwarven army.
If it makes you feel any better, if you search for "Veldar Elite" spanning all boards currently recorded, you are the FIRST post to mention them after the ALL3RIA/Nu-ALL3RIA boards.

Quote:
I know that the origins of the Veldar were covered rather extensively in the Children of Jorel quest which pre-date these boards. Between the Children of Jorel quest and the work done by Timothy, that is the basis for most of what I know about the Veldar. Unfortunately, the COJ quest predates these boards and so it appears that makes it non-canon in nature.

Since someone has already gone through the trouble of creating a history for the Veldar It would seem to make sense to just focus your attention on the Veldar going forward.
Yeah, there was an aweful lot of good material lost in the various board crashes. Hopefully that never happens again. As for a history being written, several people have written about several drastically different histories. Its basically impossible to pick one.

Quote:
I think everyone telling you the VE is greatly diminished is probably on the correct path. There seems to be plenty of IC information that would lead to that same conclusion.

That would also give a great place for PC's to join and help build up the ranks again. A decimated unit should have ample opportunites for advancement for PC's that interested.
The more I read of the various threads/sources you guys have all linked to (and I'm ready them ALL) the more and more I feel you are right. At this point I would expect the VE to be only slightly more capable in terms of manpower than a typical city guard. Initially when I pictured them I saw them as being fairly large, but the sources which indicate they are a large force (legion+ sized) are far outweighed by the sources which indicate they are not that big and they've been all but destroyed on several occasions in recent times.

That being said, hopefully by getting a decent wiki article it can spawn some interest in PCs to RP out a resurgence of the VE. I know Ulfgar and Abe are likely heading in that direction.

Quote:
In any event you appear to be well off on this project, and I look forward to seeing your draft write up.

Keep up the good work Abe.
Thanks, its a lot of reading and jotting notes and comparing sources, but I hope to have a draft article up within a week or so.
Old November 18, 2015, 09:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

Okay. Here's the thing about histories: they may or may not be true! Regardless of who wrote them when, where or why

History has the funny habit of being something that can be twisted and bent depending on how it is looked at, who is writing it and what the intention is.

Don't get hung up on things.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015, 11:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Floating Skull of Ebil

Shalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious SuperheroShalafi is a glorious Superhero

history tends to be written by, and tends to shine fondly upon the victors. That is a severe paraphrase of some quote by somebody, but yah... Hi"story".
Shalafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015, 11:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
Down the Rabbit Hole

Mimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious SuperheroMimesis is a glorious Superhero

By the way, up until basically this era/the Xet invasion the Veldar Elite were a legion in the Aelyrian legions. That is, they were part of the imperial army. It is only now (post Xet invasion) that the Veldar are their own paramilitary group. This is part of a larger restructuring, and downsizing, of the imperial army that is going on currently.

What this may mean, should you choose to opt for this route, is that you're less beholden to history than you may think: while in the past the Veldar would have had to follow the chain of imperial command, and would have looked in principle a lot like any other legion, now they can structure themselves any way they think is best. This frees up your hands a bit to do new stuff (if you want to).

I'd also suggest that what you really need to think about first here is what the Veldar are supposed to do. What is their purpose? Are they a traditional standing army (not sure how this makes much sense, given their location smack dab in the middle of the Empire...)? Do they take care of city defence and policing? Do they patrol the region? If so, what region do they patrol? Do they conduct missions on behalf of the imperial army in other parts of the empire? Etc., etc. The answers to these questions should then let you define how the Veldar should be structured in order to best accomplish their mission(s).

Check my Office for Carrots and Updates!
Thanks to Chary for the bunny! (x2)
Mimesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015, 09:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Notable

Gowg is an upstanding Citizen

I've been really enjoying this discussion and though I never knew much about the Veldar Elite I had started doing research on them just days before this came up since there are now a couple of PCs at least that are related to the VE I wanted to know something so I could perhaps peer-mod an adventure if you guys needed it or something, and just because I like the lore here.

With their numbers the way they are do they still try to support all of the Dwarflands?
Are their only bases in Zerdargia or elsewhere?
Do they patrol all of the dwarflands or would they only send units when requested and with reason?

Sorry not much in the way of answers from me, and sorry if I missed it. I read a lot of this thread while I was still ill so... :\
Old November 23, 2015, 09:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
Famous

Ulfgar Wulfson is a famous HeroUlfgar Wulfson is a famous Hero

As far as I know - and have RPed accordingly - the Veldar are still rebyielding so don't have the same presence on Centripax or the wider Empire. I imagine they'd be focusing on Zerdargia first then expanding outwards as they grow in strength.
Old November 24, 2015, 05:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
Adventurer

I would imagine the sections of the VE which have been used to protect and enforce the law in Zerdargia are probably at or near capacity. They've had quite a few years to rebuild that after the undead war. The Xet invasion; however, would have wiped out a significant portion of their standing army, reducing their ability to fight a major conflict significantly (and almost completely). I suspect their ability to maitain security in the Dwarflands is rather poor right now, but they'll likely be sending out sporadic patrols into the area to weed out any brigands and at least maintain a visible presence as a deterrent to thieves.