Go Back   Aelyria > World > Worldforge

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2015, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

[Wiki Article] Air'riela (Second Draft)

Nomadic barbarian gypsies travelling throughout Telath.

[top]Abstract

Air'riela gypsies are nomads travelling in kumpania (groups) of vardos (caravans) bound by ties of blood or family allegiances, they are scattered across Aelyria. Air'riela are humans, although there are stories of some non-humans being adopted by individuals within a kumpania. Each kumpania varies in size, but it would be highly unusual for there to be more than one hundred and fifty individuals in one. Most will be around sixty to eighty people. Because of their nomadic lifestyle it is not known exactly how many Air'riela there are, but their numbers are small. They are barbari and are usually treated with suspicion wherever they go. There have been kumpania sighted wherever there is land, from the outskirts of Aslangrad to Demios and Port Alyxandrya.

[top]Appearance

Air'riela tend to be of average height, with dark toned skin and dark hair. Eye colour varies as it does across all humans. The clothing worn by Air'riela tends towards bright colours and flamboyant styles. Accessories are very important; many Airíriela show their wealth by their jewelry. Things such as coins worn in the hair or made into belts can denote places travelled and provide the individual with a means of barter. Women often wear scarves as belts and accessories to clothing, a tradition across kumpanias which stems from the traditional Airíriela female weapon, the talvia.

Males tend to wear loose and comfortable slacks with bright shirts and colourful waistcoats. Women traditionally wear long, brightly coloured skirts or very loose trousers with bright blouses and tops. It is not uncommon for females to wear strings of bells on their wrists, waists or ankles as these harmonise together in traditional Air'riela dance.

[top]Culture

It should be noted that each kumpania has many of its own traditions, superstitions, beliefs and laws, so in many ways the culture of the Air'riela is as varied as the number of kumpania. Often, they have an individual dialect of the Air'riela language, with some kumpanias speaking an entirely unique language. While there are likely to be many similarities in terms of the culture and traditions between two kumpania of Air'riela, it would be usual for there to be as many differences.

[top]Lifestyle

The lifestyle of the Airíriela is a travelling one. They value freedom and believe that as Airíriela they have been given the five greatest gifts of all those who walk Telath. Those gifts are freedom, faith, family, craftsmanship and honour. The lifestyle that they live differs in each kumpania but all of them have a baro, or female head of the kumpania. Families have strong ties and an insult to one member of a family will often get a response from all of them. They tend to have little care for the rules of the empire and disagree with notions of Ďowningí land and so on.

The campfire is an important aspect of Air'riela lifestyle. Nights tend to be spend singing, dancing and storytelling around campfires which allows for the passing down of stories and traditions. This is vital as the Air'riela write very little down and their histories and traditions tend to be verbal.

[top]Gender Roles

Any Air'riela will trace their bloodline through their female ancestors; it is their belief that this is the only way to be sure of bloodline as there is never a guarantee of who someone's father actually is. It is for this reason that Air'riela are matriarchal. The fact that women bear children is central to their culture with the status of a family within a kumpania determined by the number of children they have. Since their married women tend to experience many pregnancies, men have the role of protectors and warriors. Most Air'riela men will learn to fight with a bladed weapon, whereas women are discouraged from such and more commonly would learn the talvia.

Within these confines, however, there are no gender restrictions on jobs or roles within the kumpania and everyone is expected to work in some way to benefit the group.
Further Reading:A Primer to Combat; Exotic Weapons; Talvia

[top]Religion

The Airíriela are a deeply superstitious people, prone to strange customs and traditions. As a widely dispersed group, those superstitions differ from one kumpania to another. Examples of such superstitions range from requiring a sacrifice of salt on dry earth at certain phases of the moons or a specific herb tied and hung above the bed to bring about fertility.

All Airíriela believe that they are descended from the original Airíriela, named Aireriel, whose name they revere as an almost-goddess. Their religion states that Aireriel gave birth to twelve children yet she had never laid with a man. These twelve children are the foundation of modern Air'riela society and the founders of the 'first kumpanias'. Thus, the Airíriela are considered to worship false gods.

Many Airíriela practice the arts of divination. Some individual practitioners believe that they have a genuine gift for such and if their kumpania believe it also these people are revered as having Ďthe sightí. Others use these arts and the suspicions that most have of the Airíriela to swindle money from non-Airíriela, who they call gaje. The most common tool for divination to the Air'riela is the Tarot but there are many others also.

The Air'riela believe that there are five elements, with spirit being the fifth. They claim that each child is 'touched' by one of these elements which will shape them in their life. Each element gives one of the five gifts to the Air'riela and they have five digits on each hand to remind them of those five gifts. Two hands remind them that in everything there is duality, man and woman, light and dark. Only Aireriel was able to bring forth children without such duality and so they are reminded twice of their gifts.

[top]Credits

Avrie Eventide Drega and Hay'aan Malinconico

Last edited by Hay'aan Malinconico; August 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Adding in first draft links.
Old August 11, 2015, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adventurer

Kebra Negast is an upstanding Citizen

it may be a dialect issue, so I'l start by asking do you recognise a difference between Spend and Spent? (Nimh)?

so:
Nights tend to be spend singing, dancing and storytelling
vs
Nights tend to be spent singing, dancing and storytelling

Otherwise nice article. My only other thing would be to suggest that the 5 elements - two hands thing be moved up, maybe to the Culture section or at least the first paragraph in Religion. It seems important and its a shame to leave it right to the end.
Old August 11, 2015, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Oh totally - that should be "spent" - missed that one. Thank you muchly!

I take your point on the five elements thing - certainly for my pc that's very important - but I put it last in order to sort of end with some punch.

I do take your point though - I'll go with the majority!
Old August 14, 2015, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Ylva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious Superhero

Quote:
Often, they have an individual dialect of the Air'riela language, with some kumpanias speaking an entirely unique language.
Not a huge fan of the 'Often' sentence starter -> maybe more "They often have" instead??

I'd drop the paragraph about the superstitions, it is unnecessary to me as all cultures have superstitions that vary from one place to the other -> it's not special to them (which is making me think I should just delete it from another write-up I'd tossed it in, too...really, of course everyone has superstitions...what's new or different there?)

Quote:
Thus, the Air’riela are considered to worship false gods.
I'd just erase this sentence

Quote:
Some individual practitioners believe that they have a genuine gift for such and if their kumpania believe it also these people are revered as having ‘the sight’.
I'm having a hard time tracking this sentence. It reads as a run on for me.

"Like, I have this gift to divine stuff and our kumpania believes it but also they have the sight.' <- that's how it's reading in my head

Quote:
The most common tool for divination to the Air'riela is the Tarot but there are many others also.
the 'but there are many others also' is a little clunky for me.

Quote:
The Air'riela believe that there are five elements, with spirit being the fifth.
In this case, I know it seems "obvious", but since we have spirit listed, let's note the other four

Re: Order of the paragraphs in Religion
I'd nix superstitions, put the paragraph about Aireriel first, then the elements, then divination

And I thought about deleting this and reposting as Nimh but... >.> Can't be bothered \o/
Old August 17, 2015, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation

New draft: [Wiki Article] Air'riela (Third Draft)
Closed Thread