Old February 9, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch is a famous HeroCarnasch is a famous Hero
Awkward Silences... (Niven)

TS: 24th of Imperos

Carnasch found himself back in Vortex, his horse Gus following docilely behind him. He had been here before when he had first started working for Dante, tracking Jade Alanon, a "criminal" that Dante thought needed to be stopped.

Admittedly, she killed seemingly random citizens, and for that many would consider her evil, but Carnasch didnt care so much that she killed, so long as she didnt try to kill him.

This was also where he had bought Gus, his massive Mellan stallion. That same horse that followed him now was his best friend, and had saved his life many times in the month and two cycles that they had known eachother. Carnasch thought that perhaps he would treat Gus to a stable tonight, with lots of oats and apples, despite his own discomfort with cities.

As they travelled through the crouded city streets, most people cleared out of the giants way, but some were not so fast on their feet, and although he did try to keep from jostling them, he was very large and it was almost impossible in the tight spaces. Many a man turned to curse him, but thier words faltered at the sight of a man that stood head and shoulders above them, with eyes of ice and a face like a storm cloud.

As he walked, he noticed a small elven woman that was near an alley way, she was pretty, for an elf, but in the shadows behind her there were movments, and Carnasch could make out at least two men sneaking nearer to her in the shadows. Even though Carnasch did not mind death, or crime if it was neccissary, he also liked to protect people. Mostly children, but compared to himself, most elves were about that size.

So, he changed his course to make a line across the street,, approaching the young elf. He reached her just before the cretins that would have taken her from behind, and seeing him, they paused and drew into the shadows a little more. Carnasch did not reveal to them that he knew they were there, for he could see now that there were actually four of them, and a confrontation would almost certainly lead to a fight. It always did.

Instead, he approached the elf, and said, "Serale my love. How have you been this fine brightening?" As he started this conversation, he gently but firmly put his arm around her to lead her away from the alley.

"I am a man in body and a beast in mind. I cannot coexist with either court of man or animal."
Carnasch is sometimes accompanied by his horse Gus, which will be specifically stated at the beginning of each thread.

Last edited by Carnasch; February 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous HeroNiven is a famous Hero

Loving to shop was one of Niven's weaknesses and she figured that one day it would be the end of her, though she hadn't thought it would be that way today. And it would have, completely unbeknownst to her, had the very very tall gentleman not joined her just a that moment, as she was trying to mentally track her funds and keep Juno from tearing off in every direction. He was and adorable puppy, but still had lots of training ahead of him.

She was coaxing Juno back when she felt an arm around her shoulders and a voice. Startled, Niven wondered who should could possibly know in Vortex, and looked up. Way up. Her eyes widened a bit at the height of the man and out of a lack of knowledge of what to do next she allowed him to lead her away from where she was. She furrowed her brow in confusion and then shrugged and went with it. Her facial expression cleared and she smiled at the man.

"Serale. I have been very well, how have you been?" She saw that Juno was lagging behind. "Come along Juno," she said, giving his leash a little tug. She turned back to the tall giant and raised an eyebrow, a slient question in her facial expression.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 9 + 3
Old February 10, 2009, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch was a bit surprized by the she-elfs willingness to be near him, and let him pull her off in some random direction. As she answered his query about her day he checked over his shoulder and noticed a very rat like being glaring around the corner at the two of them. He didnt mention it, but he had the feeling that the creature was going to try and look him up.

As he turned back to the girl, he noticed that she was looking at him with a raised eyebrow. He looked down at her for a moment, then checked over his shoulder again. As far as he could tell, none of her would-be assailants were in sight. After checking this second time, he felt it safe to explain himself. "There were men in the alleyway," he said it bluntly, because well, he was that sort of person, "They did not look to have decent intentions for you or your person, so I thought Id deal with the situation."

After that he just looked down at her for a few moments, waiting for her to speak. He was still a little surprized she had come with him so easily.

"I am a man in body and a beast in mind. I cannot coexist with either court of man or animal."
Carnasch is sometimes accompanied by his horse Gus, which will be specifically stated at the beginning of each thread.

Last edited by Carnasch; February 10, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old February 10, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

At the news that she was about to be jumped, Niven's eyes widened a bit in surprise. She glanced down at Juno and an idea came to her that she might be able to see for herself. Niven turned around to where Juno was following behind and crouched down to a squat in front of him, her wine-coloured dress splayed out around her, and started scratching his ears. She looked back toward the ally inconspicuously and saw that the giant was indeed correct. She saw a figure lurking in the allyway, in front of which she had just been standing. 'Some good you just were,' she thought, looking back at Juno. 'We'll have to work on that.' Niven gave the puppy one final scratch and stood back up beside the man.

"Thanks,"she said, looking up at him, giving him a smile and continuing to walk. "I had no idea they were there and probably wouldn't have had the best of luck had they caught me by surprise." She studied the taller man for a moment. For a giant he certainly wasn't bad looking and she surmised that he was probably well received wherever he went. He was a real gentleman and suspected that he would probably be able to charm the wings off a Fae. Yes, he was blunt, but Niven preferred that in a person. Why use fifteen words when you can say the same thing in eight and not have the meaning misread.

When she felt they were far enough out of sight from the allyway, Niven stuck out her hand. "I'm Niven Soleil. I am very pleased to make your aquaintence."

CIR | SoF

Old February 10, 2009, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch let her check the alley discreatly, and was thankful that she at least had sence enough for that, but he kept his thoughts about her being taken by surprize to himself. Robbery was the least of a womans problem, if she was kidnapped. Most men were content to steal all she had, and beat her so that she would be to scared to turn them in, but some had other wants. Rape was not an uncommon crime, especially in a place such as Vortex.

The city was one of the more corrupt of all those he had encountered in the empire, and this young elf was a beauty to behold, despite her small size, she was well developed and would almost certainly been taken advantage of if she had been caught by those men.

When she introduced herself, Carnasch chuckled a little at her pleasures in meeting him. He took her hand and shook it gently, although his own hand enveloped hers so completely that you couldnt see it except where her wrist extended from it. He chuckled again and said, "My name is Carnasch, and you would be one of the few who would be glad to see me. Now I am tempted to leave you so that your oppinion of me will not be ruined." He smiled a little, this time the smile did enter his eyes, although they were still hard chips of ice beneath the smile.

Either way, once Carnasch was finished introducing himself, he extended a hand to Gus, his horse, who obediantly walked forward to nuzzle it affectionatly. "This is Gus. He is my very best freind, more loyal than any dog and thrice as smart." He didnt mean this as an insult, but she might take it that way, most people would have, "He has saved my life many a time already despite the short time we have known eachother."

Old February 10, 2009, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

'Carnasch,' Niven thought, turning the name over in her head, as his hand enveloped hers. The name was quite unusual to her, but she liked it. 'Why would my opinion of him be ruined?' She wondered, but she saw the smile in his eyes, and pushed the thought from her mind.

Carnasch introduced her to Gus and the elf and her dog were certainly dwarfed by their companions. Niven had always wanted a horse and kept a special place in her heart for them. But this was the largest horse she had ever come into contact with. The horse was taller than the giant! Niven reached up as high as she could and patted the horses neck, just above his shoulders. "Hi Gus," Niven said smiling as she patted the horse. He was beautiful and she hoped Carnasch knew how lucky he was to have such a magnificent animal in his posession, but as he spoke about Gus, Niven was sure of his pride. "He's lovely," She said smiling up at the giant.

Turning to Juno, Niven picked the puppy up off the ground, presenting him to the man. "This is my dog, Juno. I've only had him a handful of cycles, but he's proved a good companion in my travels so far. I'm trying to teach him to track and hunt. It's a slow process, but I think in the end he'll be as good of an asset as he is a companion." She smiled as Juno licked her face and she returned the affection by scratching him behind the ears. The dog's tail was wagging a mile a minute.

Putting Juno back on the ground, Niven started walking again. "What brings you and Gus to Vortex, Carnasch?"

CIR | SoF

Old February 10, 2009, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch watched as Niven admired Gus, a grin of amusment across his face as he watched her try to pet his giant horse. Gus put his head down so she could pet his him more easily, and nickered softly when Carnasch scratched his ears. "He loves that." Carnasch commented as she picked up her puppy to show him.

Carnasch petted Juno gently before she put him down, such small animals worried him. He was afraid he might break them... Eitherway, he walked along with her, Gus nosing him to pet his ears again, but Carnasch ignored it for now, playfully pushing Gus's nose away.

"I am in Vortex to pass through. I never stay anywhere long. What of yourself? You seem to be new to the dangers of Telath, let alone Vortex. Why are you out and about from your parents?" He wasnt trying to be rude, but of course she couldnt tell that. He was just socially inept. Living in a forest most of your life did that.

Old February 10, 2009, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven laughed at Carnasch. "Parents? My parents are in the Syl'rosyan Valley. Well, techinically parent. My mum's there. My dad was killed before I was born. My mum lives with my Aunt and Uncle." Niven smiled. She wasn't saddened as she told her parental tale. She'd never known her father and therefore didn't miss him. She knew her mother did, but she felt she couldn't ever feel anything for someone she never knew.

"I, too, am just passing through. I don't know where or if I'll ever settle. I don't tend to stay in one place for more than a month. I haven't found the right place to put down roots yet, I guess." Niven kicked a rock with her shoe and watched as it skipped along the road. Juno ran after the rock and Niven gave him the slack on his leash to allow him his pursuit.

"And you? What of your family, Carnasch? Why do you wander?" She asked

CIR | SoF

Old February 10, 2009, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch only grunted at the loss of her father. As far as he was conserned, she was better off because of his early death. His own father had beaten him many a time, and his mother also, but he knew such was not the way of all families. He was glad for her that she treasured her mother and her memories of her.

He agreed that he was only passing through because he had not found the correct place to live and said so, "I aint found a place to 'old my 'eart either, and I doubt tha' I ever will. Many o' the 'civilized' folk don' appreciate my precence among them." He stepped around a young boy in the way. "Either way, I perfer the woods and the like to the cities."

At the mention of his parents, Carnasch grew distant and cold. The ice was full in his eyes once again, and his back straightened rigidly. His hand went to a spot in the small of his back, and he seemed lost in his own mind. His very being permeated an ara of hate and grief about him, almost visible it was so heavy a feeling. Even those few about him that were not in the conversation felt it, and stepped away from him, shooting glances of fear over their shoulders at him as they retreated.

After a while, he relaxed again, although not to his previous state, and stiffly said to her, "I left my family when I was nine Eras of age. I have not been back since, nor will I ever." He paused for a moment, then in a more gentle tone, "Since you are safe now, I ill take my leave and let you get on with your brightening." With that he turned and began to walk off.

(OOC: Dont actually let him leave ok? Its just one of his RP quirks...)

Old February 11, 2009, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

ooclol! Yeah, like I'd let you get away that easy. :)

Carnasch's mood seemed to change the instant his parents were mentioned. He became rigid and icy and proceeded to take his leave of her and it caught Niven completely off guard. "Wha- what? Wait!" Niven cried, confused. She ran after Carnasch, yanking Juno along with her, and grabbed his massive hand with both of her tiny ones and pulling on it. "No no no no no! Wait wait wait! Ok, ok, we'll skip that question. Just... just don't go... yet. Don't go. Ok? C'mon, please?" Niven looked up at him and gave him big green puppy-dog eyes, that were on the verge of welling up with tears. She really liked Carnasch and wanted to get to know him more. "Please?" She begged again.

CIR | SoF

Old February 11, 2009, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

If his response to her question to her off guard, then her reaction to him leaving nearly floored the giant. He was not used to people wishing to talk to him when he was being his ut-most polite, let alone chasing after him when he rather rudely excused himself.

"Er..." Her plead for him to stay confused him greatly, but he stopped for a minute so that he could think it through. He wasnt thinking so much on wether he would stay or not, but more of wether or not she had actually just asked him to. She looked up at him with big round eyes that glisenned with tears and said, "Please?" one more time and he found himself relaxing enough so that he was thinking again.

"Alright I can stay, I just... Im sorry for being rude, its just that my parents beat me as a child and I left home very young. Iv.. Iv never told anyone before." It felt wierd telling someone, and seemed even ludicrus that he was telling a complete stranger. He looked at the sun quickly to determine the candlemark, and decided that he needed to be finding lodging, as it would be getting dark soon. "Come on little Niven, we had best find someplace to stay or we shall find ourselves wandering around in the dark!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carnasch led Niven through the town to a Inn he knew had stables, and once he had Gus squared away in the stables, munching on a bag of oats and apple slices, the Vagar and Niven went with Juno to the common room itself.

Inside it was loud and crowded, but Carnasch used his large size and cleared a path for Niven as they sat at a round table near the bar. "So why did you leave your mother? You seemed fond of her when you spoke of her."

Old February 11, 2009, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Saddened by Carnasch's experiences with his parents, Niven squeezed the giant's hand. She gave him a sad smile, but said nothing. What could she say? She'd never known anyone with such a past and she was at a loss. So she kept silent and was just there in support. She nodded at his observations of the candlemark and allowed herself to be lead to the Inn. "That's good thinking." She looked around as they walked towards the inn and most of the merchants were shutting down for the darkening.

~~~~~

As the pair neared the stables, Niven scooped up Juno to make sure he didn't get underfoot. Once Gus was neatly tucked away, happily munching on his dinner, Carnasch let them into the Inn's common room and found them a table. Tieing Juno to her chair so he wouldn't get away, she gave the pup an affectionate pat and sat down to anchor the dog's teather. Niven put in an order for two Mead's and turned and smiled at Carnasch as he asked her why she left her family.

"I needed to get away. I love my mother very much, it's true, as well as my Aunt and Uncle. The three of them made an excellent parenting team. But My cousins where all growing up and leaving, making thier own ways in the Empire and I felt that I needed to as well. The Empire is so big and I want to see it all!" Niven got very animated as she spoke, her large green eyes taking a starry look to them. She hugged her stein of mead in her hands excitedly as she looked off into her future. Then a bit of sadness crept in, as she looked down into her mead. She looked back up at Carnash. "I miss them a lot sometimes. I wish I could write to them, but I haven't the space nor the funds to continually carry parchment and a pen. And even if I could, I move around so much, they could never reply and I long so deeply sometimes to know that they are all well and happy. But," Niven said, perking up, "I feel it in my soul that they are all fine and if I ever feel otherwise I should head home in an instant." She flashed a bright smile at Carnash and then took a sip of her drink.

CIR | SoF

Old February 11, 2009, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch also ordered a drink as he sat, and listened to her dream of the rest of Telath. He chuckled deep in his chest as he listened, "Most of the continent is much the same. The people may look different and there may be sand or snow or trees, but it is all the same in its dealings with those that are not careful." He caught himself now, because he was speaking of reality, and a cruel one at that, and he did not want to ruin her dream for her.

Instead, he offerd some insparation at her wishes to write her parents. "I oft have to make reports to my freind Dante who lives in Diana," he said, motioning with his hands as he was wont to do, "He and I have a system set up where if he wants to contact me, he sends a letter to a particular in in Acumin. It is near the center of the continent but is a smaller village so that things are less likely to be stolen. There I have parchment and ink and the like to write him if I need to report. I simply check into the tavern whenever I am nearby and send him anything I need to. You could do the same with your parents."

He watched her reaction and petted Juno under the table.

Old February 12, 2009, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Listening intently, Niven nodded as Carnasch spoke, the name "Dante" she'd heard before, but she couldn't place it. Thoughts of how she might set that up swirling around in her head.
"That seems like a good system," she started slowly, "And it works terrificly in your case. However, in order to make something like that work in my case, I'd have to go home. I can't count on a letter reaching them with all of those directions. And at the same time, I wouldn't want to send such a letter for fear that it might be intercepted and then where would you and your friend be, your system so intricately explained?" She smiled at him a little, and took a sip. "And what would happen if I gave them an idea of where I was going and I ended up changing my mind and they didn't hear from me because they would have no knowledge of my sudden change in plans. And then I would have a letter waiting for me somewhere I wasn't. And what if it contained important information? I would never get it! No, it was a good idea, and I thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think I'd want to risk putting your system in danger. I think I will rely on my inner guage of how the are. My cousins taught me how to survive and so I know that they don't worry about my well being. Though I suspect I need to learn a little more how to defend myself," Niven finished with a wink, referring to her near harm experience earlier in the brightening. "Or train this little guy how to protect me." Niven looked down at Juno, who happily looked back up at her, tail wagging. "Yes, a lot of good you would have done me today," She said to the puppy in a baby-talk voice. She scratched him under the chin and went back to her mead.

All at once, the name made sense to her. "Dante! Dante Asunder? The Dracon that owns the fishing business? He was in Paxia just at the end of spring, the beginning of summer, yes? Just about the same time I was there. Opening up another shop, I think." Niven sat back in her chair and looked at Carnasch. "Small world," she said with a smile.

CIR | SoF

Old February 12, 2009, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch chuckled at Niven's misunderstanding, and attempted to correct her, "No no no, see, you don't tell them where you are headed, thats not reliable. You only have one place where they send you letters, and you simply check it when you are near by. Tis not expected that you will reply soon, so they do not bother sending important information."

When she continued to turn his idea down, he simply shrugged and leaned back in his chair. As talk of her defending herself came up, he was more serious, with less giggling, but still amiable. "You just need to learn to keep an awareness of your surroundings. That awareness can never be aloud to slip, not even when sleeping. And your pup there might not have caught the men before they grabbed you, but I think that his barking might have attracted some attention."

"You know Dante do you? Haha! He was there before I knew him, but yes I beleive he has a fishing buisness there. But then, he has them just about everywhere. He is becoming quite rich and will soon abandon the rest of us to our poverty." Carnasch was of course, joking, but she might or might not have been able to tell.

Either way, it was soon getting late and all of them should have been feeling tired, Carnasch definatly was, and he haggled with the Inn keeper for two rooms and when he and Niven were ready, they headed to bed for the night.

OOC: Post once more and then go to the other thread plz.