Old August 16, 2017, 05:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Starski is unknown and forgotten
[Nexus Prime] What does 'altruism' taste like?

OC: The setting for this thread is a tavern in Nexus Prime sometime in summer. Time of day is late evening/night. Anyone is welcome and if the set time doesn’t work for ya but you wanna post a reply just PM me. We can probably work something out. (Also if anything is terribly wrong about what I have written please inform me. This is my first thread!)

So this is what altruism earns you. The thought was almost as bitter as the cheap booze Starski guzzled to try to distract himself from the hollowness in his belly. Being a thief was tough on a good day but today the market square had offered no wallets safe enough to pilfer but one. He recalled the scruffy little kid in his ragged attire and the hefty little bag of coins that had been tied to his belt. The false Dorin sighed thinking himself a fool momentarily as his emerald eyes wandered out from under his dark hood aimlessly across the tavern before resting idly on a finely shaped bar wench as she swept the dirty floors. It would have been so easy to take. The sharpened steel of his father’s knife would have freed the purse from the boy without a sound or a tug to be noticed. Young kids are easily distracted too or -in the worst case scenario- manhandled even if they were observant. But what would his father say? No doubt the wise dracon would have been upset it was used to steal from anyone but how to justify stealing from a kid who looked like he might just be carrying his life savings in that little bag… there was no way to do so if he would ever have to. With a sigh Starski let his head fall with a soft thud against the wall behind his bench as he thumbed the dagger’s pommel with his right hand where it sat sheathed at his hip.

Uproarious laughter would break the thief away from his thoughts for a moment as he eyed the culprits-a jovial looking bunch of men sitting a few tables away. Loud pricks, he thought with an annoyed grimace as he lifted the mug to his lips once more. With a few hearty swigs it was empty. He set it down upon the battered table before him and grabbed his second, the last he had and could afford tonight. The first settled warmly into his empty belly and in little time a dull, unfocused tingle began to caress the back of his mind. At least there had enough coin from yesterday's pilfering to pay for these. A few stiff ones would help him sleep. With any luck they might also counter the warm night and harsh nightmares that seemed all too common as of late.

There Starski would continue to sit in the least conspicuous corner of the tavern content to sip in solitude and ever wary of the strangers around him. They all seemed busy either drinking or talking among themselves and that was fine by him. He was in no mood to entertain drunken fools.
Starski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus Navire is a dubious Denizen
A tavern was one of Maximus' favourite place to be in, but rarely in his Draconic form. The reason was simple. His human seeming was better known in the tavern.

In his human form, he pushed opened the door and as his usual practice, he looked around for obvious dracons, then he used a draconic ability known as 'the call'. He did not want another dracon to pierce his disguise. Such a practice would look unusual, but he had perfected it after a few eras. He looked around pretending to look for his friends and he pretended to whistle when using the call. The whistle had another use. If there were any friends around, they would notice him... Saving him the trouble to scan a second time for friends.

His actions rarely gave him any results, but this brightening proved to be different. His sense told him there was a dracon other than him, but who could it be? Maximus, better known as Marcaida in this tavern, walked right up to the bar. "Seems like my friends ain't here yet. A mug of mead then!"

As he spoke, he looked for anyone who did not seem to belong or still felt uncomfortable in their body. He was in his human seeming nearly 29 candlemarks for 9 brightenings per cycle for almost 10 eras now, and he still felt uncomfortable. As another wiser dracon said, one can never feel truly comfortable in another's body.
Old August 30, 2017, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

After a few minutes more of drinking and relaxing Starski was approaching the bottom of his final cup. With a breath the man would steel himself to finish what was left when a familiar sensation grazed his senses. ‘The Call’ was a an odd thing. For Starski the closest thing he could acquaint it to was the whisper of a chim on the wind. It was something far off and hidden yet present and impossible to ignore all at the same time. It indicated that there was another dracon nearby. Paused in mid sip, Starski would calmly cast his emerald gaze toward the entrance of the tavern. No scales as far as he could see. So whoever it was hid in another’s skin too. It wasn’t exactly a strange occurrence. Now and then the Call would whisper at him while he walked down a crowded street or past a bustling business. That didn’t mean it was welcome. While Starski had met many of the different races in his life it felt like the least he knew about were his own people. Besides his family the dracon/dorin could count the dracons he had met on one hand. This lack of knowledge paired with a warning on the malicious ways of some dracon issued by his father left Starski with little want to approach one of the few creatures that could tell what he really was.

The dark furred muzzle he wore made quick work of what remained in his meed glass before the lonesome thief set it upon the table and stood to leave. Moving across the tavern would prove easy enough until Starski unknowingly passed the other dracon-in-disguise. Right as he stepped past him a stranger drinking and loitering nearby would sway and stumble nearly right into the cloaked dracon/dorin. There was actually no danger of collision-the man would sweep an arm within an inch of Starski’s back before catching his balance and laughing off the clumsy maneuver. It was really the thief's reaction that might have been telling. As the near miss went by he would flinch and arch his back a little as if expecting the man to smack right into the wings he didn’t currently have. It was an old reflex accounting for a body shape that hadn’t been worn in more than a month and the sensation of it would leave Starski confused for a split second about why he had finished and why there was no collision. Upon figuring it out the man would shake his head a little irritated with himself and continue toward the exit.

Last edited by Starski; August 31, 2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old August 30, 2017, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Famous

Marcaida was lazily drinking his mead when he noticed something strange. He noticed a dorin displaying a habit he had spent eras to erase. He even purposefully shrunk his wings whenever he returned to his natural form at one point of time to help. That must be the dracon he was looking for, if not, he wouldn't mind getting to know a dorin.

He pushed himself through the crowds and once they were out of the tavern, he took out a piece of copper. "Hey! I think you dropped this." He shouted and jogged towards the dorin. It would give him a reasonable excuse to chase after the dorin and talk to him.

oocJust interaction or looking for some adventure?
Old August 31, 2017, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

The heat of mead had spread along the dark furred limbs Starski wore as he stepped out of the tavern and into a much quieter street. Heavy summer night air a bit less fragrant than that of the tavern’s greeted him and the dorin/dracon inhaled deeply. His eyes climbed the sharp silhouettes of the city around him and found an agreeable moon hanging above. It was beautiful but Starski wasn’t afforded long to admire before the sound of someone coming out of the tavern behind him was followed by words. He turned to regard the stranger: an average looking human with dark hair and blue eyes.

Without a moment’s hesitation Starski reached out and took the copper. There was no way in hell he had actually dropped it and that made him pause. Cautious emerald appraised the human for a moment as Starski held the copper in a fist between them. Who he was and what he intended impossible to tell. “Aweful kind,” Remarked Starski tossing the the coin up before catching it cooly in the same clawed hand. “But why not keep it?” He would watch the other’s gaze carefully after asking looking for anything to help him understand the other. Maybe he was really just trying to be a good person but Starski was far past assuming the best of strangers.
Old August 31, 2017, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Famous

Marcaida smiled and took to coin back. "Thanks kindly good Gotak LaraqularllNoble Dorin in Draconic."

He had purposefully added the draconic word in to test the dorin. If the dorin was a not a dracon, it might sound like elven or orcish to him. If he was, then further contact could be made.

"It's rare to see one of your kind. I am no hunter, just one looking for a friend within this place." He added with a friendly smile.
Old September 6, 2017, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

Questions were always asked with hope of an answer. When Starski asked ‘why not keep it?’ he expected to hear some load about doing the right thing or preserving self honor. Instead the coin was snatched from his grasp. It caught him a little off guard. The whole situation had, really, right up to the point where draconic fell from the stranger’s lips. Starski would cross his arms over his chest as he glanced around to be sure no one was nearby. “Wes dasiinik es?” He spoke the tongue of his people with a hushed tone to convey his understanding of the other’s intent. “Tell me, what gave me away?” The distrust was evident upon Starski’s face as he continued to scrutinize the other.

Last edited by Starski; September 6, 2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 6, 2017, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Marcaida nodded to signal he understood the need to be subtle.

"Your actions... I was actively looking for it and saw you tried to avoid knocking someone with something you did not have." He said, referring to the incident Starski had avoided another person although there was a lot of space. "I have the same problem for many eras. Now I found another problem of myself knocking things down without any thoughts in my own home."

"Anyway, I am called Marcaida right now. What brings you to this part of the world?" He asked with a smile.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: