Old August 12, 2017, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maahes is an upstanding Citizen
(Nexus Prime) Forging a Blade a New [Maximus]

The Blade of Righteous Fury

Timstamp: Mid Summer Era XXIV (Continued from Here)

Maahes had met the aspiring blacksmith out side of Sancta Nova. After getting to know one another Maahes decided to go with him back to the city to meet his master and get his sword reforged. As an aspiring Neophyte of the order of the Paladi the young katta would attempt to imbue his sword during the process, in a sense mimicking the trials that await him in Prime.

Are we there yet? The young katta asked rather annoyingly as he started to trail behind. He had never been to the 'big city' and was taken aback by the sights… the people… the noise… the stench…

ooc Fill free to set the scene and lead the way to your shop. I'll look for a mod for us

Maahes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

Maximus Navire is unknown and forgotten
Maximus had wanted to teleport home, but he had not learned how to teleport with a companion... yet. So they walked.

They soon reached Nexus Prime and that was when he had a dilemma. Graxa, the owner of the smithy and his trainer knew Maximus as Marcaida the human. There was no way the dracon was going to reveal his secret identity to anyone.

"It is not early now and I doubt the great smith would like to be disturbed. We could stay at my place and first thing tomorrow, I will seek out his permission to use his forge." Maximus said, thinking of how he could repair the blade without his master knowing he was a dracon.

If Maahes agreed to follow him to his place, they would arrive in a small house. It was quite a standard house in Nexus Prime. A bedroom and a general room for eating, cooking and other things. Otherwise, he would bring Maahes to a relatively cheap and clean inn.

Whichever the case, once they were seated, he would ask a few questions about hte blade. "So, is your blade sentimental to you? A shaky handle and the chips can be fixed, but it would surely weaken the metal. The handle must be replaced of course. Any idea what is the handle material or I could replace the handle with something else?"

oocWaiting for my training thread completion. We could talk a bit first, then I see if we can either get a mod or I will try to get permission for a collab. mod
Old August 25, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

oocIt's okay take your time. I understand how things go. Also Maahes is a good honest lionoid that would keep Maximus secret if he asked him to

"Your place is fine" The young katta replied. He was in no particular hurry although he was a bit anxious too see how the whole reforging process worked.

"you got a nice place here Maximus." He said as he looked around the small house "I can sleep on the floor." He was used to it by now.

"Yeah sort of," he answered the dracons question "It was a gift from my good friend Will during the war." He cringed at the sound of his sword being weaker. "Why is that? Can you add a little bit of metal to make it stronger?" he would ask. And finally he looked at the handle carefully "I don't know what it is, bone maybe. It's old so what ever they used back in the day is probably what it is." He handed the blade over to the dracon for further inspection.

"Is there any way I could watch while you fix it. I would like to try and Imbue during the reforging?" he asked subtly. If not he could always imbue it after the fact but that wasn't really what he wanted.

"Oh and make sure to get a price from the smithy for me."
Old September 16, 2017, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

oocAfter a long wait. Just need the sign off for my thread and we can officially repair your blade

Maximus took the blade and looked at it closer. The blade should be very well made, the core did not seem to be broken and there was no obvious cracks. A few minor chipping here and there and a loose handle. He just needed a grind stone and a whetstone and a other few materials and it would be good to go. The only problem he foresee was heading to his master's shop to do the repair. His master would not recognise his current form.

He pondered for a moment, pretending to look over the blade again and on Maahes question. "I am not familiar with magical imbuing and I doubt we want to risk breaking it. A sudden magical contamination while I'm working may make me jump and break the sword accidentally. Anyway, don't see any core damage. I could show you how to repair the chipping and if there's is time, maybe you can watch me forge a new blade."
Old September 16, 2017, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

oocNo problem, thanks for continuing this with me

The dracon took his sword and looked over its blade. It was of old make and well made, though neglected over the years. Although the child katta had tried to sharpen it he really didn't know what he was doing and probably caused more harm then good.

After a long moment the dracon spoke. It made sense that he would not want a complex imbuement ritual going on while he was working. What a shame... Oh well, Maximus said his sword had no core damage and had offered to let him help reforge it and teach him a thing or two. Maybe he could even watch the weaponsmith forge a new blade. That would be cool besides he could always imbue the sword later.

"I understand" he said coolie then looked up at the dracon "Yeah that sounds good!" The childs tail wagged about excitedly "I will pay you for your services of course." He paused for a moment then continued, "Will we head over there in the brightening?" He asked with a slight glint in his big golden eyes. They had spent all day swimming and was now very Hungry! He was totally willing to help do whatever he needed to get some food going, draw some water, wash some dishes, start a fire.
Old September 18, 2017, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

"Would just need you to pay for any material fee and maybe share the cost of the forge." Maximus said. He had heard of a blacksmith that rented out his forge every now and then to other smith. He could use that.

There was nothing much the katta need to do. There were two covered buckets of well water in one corner, some dried jerkies in the pantry and a five brightening old piece of bread that still looked good enough to eat. "Nothing much to eat here, unless you want to head out to the nearby tavern? The food there is not that too tasty, but it is cheap and filling."

Whether Maahes decided to visit the tavern or just share the loaf of bread and the few beef jerkies, there were a few things he wanted to ask. "Likely going to change the handle. What sort of material would you like? Leather, wood, scales or anything you fancy, and what sort of color?"
Old September 19, 2017, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

"Okay no problem" Was the kattas response to the payment in question. Once they where all done I'm sure Maxamus would quote him a fair price and of course Maahes being an honest katta would pay the due costs respectfully.

"Lets head to the tavern. I would hate to eat the last of you food." He replied as he looked questioningly at the two buckets of stagnant water. After a few sniffs he dared to drink it. He ladled some into a glass for both him and his host, he downed his and ladled himself a second glass. "Thank you." He said kindly, meaning no disrespect by his actions.

On their way out Maximus asked about the handle "I don't know," He said in response "I haven't given it much thought." The handle was in pretty bad shape.

He didn't know much about swords. "I want it to be strong and light with a good grip." he said as he gripped the sword "Something that will keep its balance as well… Scales hu?" now that sounded cool "I was thinking wood or bone but scales, that sounds interesting." He looked back at the dracon "Your the expert, what do you think would work nice." he asked for another opinion, "as for the color, red or green would be nice."

Once at the tavern the hungry lioniod would order what ever the cook was serving as well as a pitcher of water.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

The tavern provided the pair with brightening old thick meat stew, some bread, a pitcher of water and a mug of ale. There was little doubt why the food was cheap. The stew barely had any meat, the bread was tough and the ale was watered down, but the portion was generous and it wasn't blend. "I will think what I can find."

The next brightening, Maximus was already awake when Maahes woke up. The dracon was used to waking very early and he had a special reason to. "Whenever you are ready, let us go."

Once Maahes was ready, Maximus led the way to the forge he had rented. The fire had already started, there was a piece of metal bar on the anvil, and to one corner was a cupboard of handle materials. "Right. Just to let you know the price first. Half the rental, the material cost, that leads to..." Maximus informed a cost will within the area known as reasonable.

Once Maahes agreed, he sat at the grinder and asked the katta for his longsword. "The chip is not that bad, so we will just grind the blade equally first to remove the chip and at the same time, sharpen it."
Old September 19, 2017, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

The food, though a bit tough and lacking in protein, filled the empty void in the lions belly. He was thankful and polite to the barmaid and tipped what he could (which wasn't much especially since he still had to pay the dracon)

The kattas nightmares had changed ever since they went swimming and he had cast aside his feelings towards the war and moved forward. So instead of the normal deathly fog and Xetian insectoid slaughter type nightmare he normally had he dreamed of the dead, specifically walking talking dead. It was weird…

When he awoke the next brightening the dracon was already awake. His panicked looked soon changed to one of relief as he acclimated to the waking world. After a quick prayer he would be ready. "Good brightening Maximus," he said, "I'm ready," . It was nice to see that his hired blacksmith was so eager to get the job done for him, and at such a reasonable price.

He paid the dracon and handed him his precious longsword, the thought of making it nice and new made his eyes and ears perk up and his tail waged about excitedly. "There you go" He said kindly obviously excited to watch the man work.

"That makes sense" he said with a nod as Maxamus explained what was going on. He gazed up at all the different handle materials to see what the blacksmith had to work with. A lionhead pummel would be cool! Especially a gold colored one!!
Old September 19, 2017, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

Maximus took the sword and looked at Maahes. It would be cool if he could create a pommel with a lion head on it, but he carving ability was near that level.

He sat on the grinder and spoke to the katta. "I pedal here and the grinder will start turning. The faster I go, the faster it turns. As you know, even the best sword would get chips and notches in combat, unless you are using really good metal. Those are very expensive... But less talking, more work."

Sparks began flying fast in the beginning and Maximus slowed it down. He did not want to thinned the blade too much. Once he noticed chips were off the blade, he showed it to Maahes. "There we go. We can continue sharpening with the grinder, but a little accident is going to ruin the sword temper."

He got off the grinder and went over to the table with a block of wood, a file, some kind of stone and a can of oil. Laying the sword on the table, he prop it up with a block of wood. "We are sharpening it here. Watch carefully." In even, measure stroke of 30 degree angle, the file slid across the entire length of the blade edge, from the hilt to the tip. He counted 30 strokes, flipped the blade and started sharpening the other side using the same method. He did the process again for the other side of the blade. At the end, the sword was not as refined as it was in the beginning.

"Looks a bit rough ya? Don't worry about that. We have the next step. I am sure you know what a whetstone is?" He asked

After Maahes answered, he would still explain nonetheless. "This is a fine-grained stone used for sharpening cutting tools. First you apply a thin film of oil on to the surface, then we pass the blade over the stone at 30 degree angle. You will notice blacksmithing is all about steady and uniformed pacing."

Maximus began with one side of the blade, but unlike the filing, he pushed the blade firmly back and forth across the stone, about 30 times, then he turned the blade and do the same. There was still the other side to finish, but he decided to hand the blade over to Maahes. "Sword maintenance is always good after every fight. So some practical work here is good. Try it... Be careful though."
Old September 20, 2017, 05:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

Maahes listened with a nod as the dracon explained how the grinder worked "I see." he would say after the last spark hit the ground. It seemed easy enough to take the chips and dings out with that sort of tool as long as you don't have an 'accident' and ruin the temper of the sword.

He paid close attention to the angle the dracon used as he slide the file gracefully across the blade, roughing it up a bit. After many strokes on both sides he switched to the wet-stone. Maahes was kind of familiar with that tool, Will had shown him how to sharpen his sword with one of those before they left the Black Forest. "What kind of oil do you use?" he would ask. Surly there where many deferent grains of stone each requiring a different type of oil but he didn't really know he might as well ask.

Maximus pressed the the blade firmly back and forth across the stone at the same angle he used the file. Once the one side was done he handed it to Maahes to do the other side. He accepted with a smile ready to get his hands dirty. He mimicked the dracons motions pressing down firmly as he moved it back and forth yet his angle was a bit ascue especially as he got towards the tip or point of the sword. "like this?" he would ask Maximus as he worked.
Old September 20, 2017, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

"For the whetstone? I was taught to use any oil human use on a baby, though water could be used as well, but when using water, bear in mind to keep the whetstone wet as the stone tend to dry up very quickly." Maximus informed.

He watched Maahes worked with the whetstone. "That's the way! Make sure you stroke it about 30 times at each side. Once they looked equally polished and the edge are exposed, we are done here."

The dracon checked the blade after Maahes had finished, took a piece of rough cloth to shine and nodded. Now for the handle.

"I am thinking of using this red dyed maple burlgoogle 'burl' to see the design scale. What do you think" He asked, holding up two pieces of red colored wood with circular design on it.
Old September 20, 2017, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

So you could use baby oil or water for the wetstone. He nodded in understanding.

He sharpened each side 30 times each before flipping it over and starting the on the other side. He did this until both sides looked equally polished and the blade was exposed as instructed. It looked sharp! "There we go." he said when he was finally done and handed the sword back to the blacksmith for further inspection.

He took the two peices of wood and examined them "Wow, that is nice!" he said with a proud grin "There hard too, I wont be breaking that anytime soon." Maahes was impress with Maximus's choice of wood. The maple scaled burl would be both fissionable and functional at the same time, he liked it. "Yeah that will work nicely" he replied and handed the material back to the dracon.

He was excited to see the next step. Shoot, now he was going to have to buy a scabbard and belt to match his 'new' sword.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Notable

Maximus smiled at the compliment. Shapeshifting grant him a lot of knowledge on colors and patterns. He hammered out the connecting pins from the handle and slowly pried open the material binding the handle. He used a solvent to rub away the glue remnants.

Then the process was reversed. He measured the two pieces of wood over the handle and cut out any excess. He measured again and found it satisfactory. "Alright, gluing time" He said more to himself than to Maahes.

He liberally brushed glue over the back sides of the wood and stick them on to the handle. He took it to a clamp and clamp them tightly together. "Have to wait for the glue to dry before we set the pin back and file the wood. In the meantime, how about learning a little about blade smithing?"
Old September 20, 2017, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

Maahes watched the next step. The blacksmith disassembled the handle and used some sort of liquid solvent to dissipate the residual glue "Where do you get that stuff?" he asked about the solvent. He wondered if it was some sort of alcohol spirit, it seemed to work well. Then there was the glueing itself. Surely the smith contracted an alchemist of sorts to make all there chemicals, that or they made it themselves.

He watched as the dracon applied the glue and clamped the handle down. "Thats it hu?" he said more then asked in a rather impressed tone. "Seems easy enough."

Then the smith asked if he wanted to learn more about smithing. "I'd love to!" was his response with a smile and a wage of his tail. "What did you have in mind?" he asked, wondering curiously what it is they where going to work on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: