Old August 10, 2017, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Bolthur is unknown and forgotten
[Nexus Prime] Colosseum Fights

Summer Era XXIV

Bolthun had finally arrived. His wanderings had brought him to Nexus Prime. More specifically, the giant had arrived at the granite and marble structure. The giant stood at the entrance for a moment, admiring the architecture of the building. Architecture wasn't what had brought him to the Colosseum, though. The giant had heard that fortunes could be made by fighting for the entertainment of his fellow citizens. The thought of earning a fortune caused Bolthur to nod to himself. It took a small fortune just to eat. He was fairly certain he would be able to best nearly anything that they could pit him against. With his mind made up, Bolthur turned to face the obnoxiously loud cether proclaiming the various prices of the seats. He bent down, hands upon his knees so he wasn't towering above the halfling quite so much.

"Hey, fella. Where do I sign up to fight?" Bolthur asked, not wasting any time on pleasantries.
Bolthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus Navire is a dubious Denizen
The Colosseum. A place Maximus had been walking past for eras, torn between the decision to enter for a fight or to watch a battle. The former, he did not have much combat ability except for a little bit of magic. The latter, he did not have the crowns to spare.

This brightening, he passed the Colosseum in again, and as usual, he entered the Colosseum to make a decision. Unlike the usual, he noticed a giant asking to sign up for a fight. That tipped Maximus' decision that brightening. If they could fight in a team battle or battle royale, he was pretty sure he could use the giant to help him win.

Maximus walked forward to the pair. "Hey!" He called out confidently while flexing his claws. "What's the plan in the Colosseum for this brightening?"
Old August 12, 2017, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

Darius Debuire is an upstanding Citizen
Darius gave a quick look around as he arrived in nexus prime the Colosseum seemed two different people were singing up for a fight a dracon and a giant. the half Vysstich took this as a sign he had always wanted to prove himself among those that were stronger to prove that strength was not always the deciding factor. "Sarel to you two going to do battle i see. perhaps i could join in the fun as well..." Darius stated with his usual smug smile.

looking for pepole to play with who are fun
Darius Debuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Son of Jorel

Aáster Fen'gári is unknown and forgotten
The dark hulking creature sat silently in his cage, shackled and bound, a slave to be pitted against the other gladiators of Nexus Prime. Oh the irony… It was only weeks ago that he was commanding his own slaves to fight in the arena on Minatos Island, how things have changed… He snorted in discontent…

'Bzzzzzz' a fly landed on his nose, The HORROR!!! He never thought he would miss Kora so, the priestess would have never aloud such an atrocity to happen… she was a good slave… He swatted the filthy creature with his shoulder "Come a little closer and I'll show you who is the top of the food chain." he whispered under his breath then, 'CHOMP' he eat the fly and spit it back out… he hated flies…

oocI hope it was okay to post like this let me know if it doesn't work and I can change it

Last edited by Aáster Fen'gári; August 12, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Aáster Fen'gári is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

oocJust a heads up, we're still waiting for a mod for this thread. So, replies may take a while.
Old August 17, 2017, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nobody's Hero

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Lyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious Superhero

OOChey peeps. =) So, in case anyone missed it, I'm going to be both participating and moderating the thread. In order to make it clearer, I'm going to split my posts into a top section where I'll be posting as Lyr and a bottom section which is going to be me with my peer-mod hat on. This also means that, aside from this turn - Karen and Felynriia, please do still join in! - I'm going to be posting *last* every round. Everyone should get in their post before me, otherwise you'll have lost a round and will be in danger of getting modded out of the thread. Two missed posting rounds in a row, and you're out, sorry. I'll indicate when I'm going to be posting next at the bottom of my posts

Lyr had been to Nexus Prime before, but not really to the Colosseum. Why he was there this brightening was a bit difficult to discern, and probably nobody really wanted to do that discerning to begin with - Lyr was possibly - probably - yes, indeed - drunk, and it wasn't so much that he'd wandered to the Colosseum so much as the Colosseum that had wandered at him.

In any case, he was there, and it was noisy, and Lyr decided (contrary to all reason, given his history with such things) that he was going to check it out. Never mind the fact that the last time he'd "checked out" something similar he'd ended up battling some evil chain-wielding chick called the Black Widow and... yeah. He'd killed her, but it had been a scarring experience nevertheless (or, perhaps, because of that?)

Anyway, Lyr wasn't the type to learn from experience, and he'd had just enough rum to consider that the same set of circumstances didn't absolutely positively have to lead to the same conclusion, so... here he was, standing behind a collection of very peculiar creatures indeed, and when the minotaur in front of you puts his mark on the paper, well then, you just have to do the same!

Because Borthanas forfend that you be shown up by a glorified cow, however impressive-looking its horns.

So, anyway, yes: Lyr signed his name, and only then got around to asking: "Sooo.... what's going on here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a rip-roaring brightening to be at the Colosseum: even Grendal, the head trainer and promoter of the fights, looked almost cheerful. At least he was grinning, and that grin got all the wider as he saw first a giant, then a few other fellows, and then a minotaur (what a coup!) come through his doorway.

"I've got good news for y'all!" The former gladiator smacked his hands together and spoke loudly so that all those assembled could hear. "Ye sign up right here -" he nodded up at Bolthur - "And then ye'll be entered for Mob Night - that's tonight! A special event -" Grendal thought quickly, calculating his entrants - "For interested amateurs only. That's you folks.". He glanced around the room. "Extra prizes, extra opportunities, extra fun!" It definitely took a former gladiator to look at the upcoming event as fun, but Grendal made even that sound fairly convincing.

Anyway, he'd proceed to quickly outline the rules (which, incidentally, he was also making up on the fly, all the while also calculating exactly how many urchins he'd need to nab and pay in order to best promote the new special event he'd just scheduled for that evening):

1) It was going to be a melee fight, every man for himself of course, though if two contestants wanted to work together there was, of course, nothing preventing them from doing so

2) As per the usual rules of combat at the Colosseum, a contestant lost once they hit the ground and stayed on the ground for at least ten seconds or if they raised the pinky of their left arm and/or yelled the safeword - the safeword for this fight was going to be "chicklet".

3) Contestants were strongly encouraged to avoid death blows, and there would be special trainers standing by to make sure that, once a contestant yelled out the safeword, he'd be protected from further blows. Beyond that rule about death blows, though, everything the contestants had skill-wise to bring to the table was fair game (so, indeed, magic is a-ok).

4) The last contestant standing was going to be the winner, but the last three would all get extra prize-money alongside the very modest entry fee that all contestants received.

5) Finally, the contestants would get their choice of weapons and armour, which they would have to choose from the Colosseum's stock.

And once he'd finished outlining those five rules.... "Capiche?" Grendal asked, looking about himself once again. "Questions?"

If there were none, he'd lead all the contestants back to the stock room where a large array of weaponry and armour of all types and sizes was kept for just this purpose. Each contestant could choose whateverwithin reason, please! Nothing too outlandish they wished from the stock; they'd also have a few hours to do so, as the fight had to be advertised and everything had to be prepared for the "bums in seats", so to speak.... and, unknown to the contestants, Grendal was also making a few adjustments - just in case he needed them. Just to spice things up, in case billing a minotaur and a giant was not going to be enough.

So the contestants would have some timeif you guys want to chat with each other - or make allies for the upcoming bout or whatever - nows the time! You're welcome to post multiple times in this round; after the fight starts you'll be limited to the normal one post per round to cool their heels before the show started.

Next moderation post is going to be next Thursday (24th) - or earlier if everyone has posted

OOC2I know I did a lot here, so I hope all that was clear and if anyone has any questions at all, please feel free to ask!

~Character Information Repository~
~Kevin Ostapenko Award 2005~

Last edited by Lyr Tlansson; August 17, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Lyr Tlansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Son of Jorel

The massive minotaur glared daringly at all the Aelyrians that placed their mark on the paper. His inhuman eyes where dark and ominous filled with a curios intelligence 'HHMMPPPFFF' he snorted and curled his lip. This would be easy! So far there seemed to a few people signing up; an elf, a dracon ,a drunkard, and a giant… His eyes fell heavily on the giant… He already knew how he would deal with him… He sized him up anyway…

If one did the same to him, which I'm sure they all did, they would see a whooping 9 foot tall, 11 if you include his horns, minotaur that was nearly half that in width and just rippled in muscles… short black fur covered his whole body and thickened slightly around his head and the lower half of his body. He was kept well groomed intel about a month ago he even still had a bit of a shine to his fur. A rather handsome creature by some standards…

He stretched as he listened to the announcer go over the rules… 'strongly encouraged to avoid death blows' A small laugh escaped his snout as he looked at all the puny people around him… They should just put their pinkies up now…

He peered around the stock room in awww… Another small laugh escaped him… It would take him a minute to browse.

Last edited by Aáster Fen'gári; August 18, 2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus nodded confidently and place his mark on the paper to sign himself in. The danger of getting injured was there, but the Colosseum's reputation was to ensure everyone to carry on living. Unless it was a deathmatch.

"No question."

The dracon sized up his opponents and was most worried about the giant and the minotaur. The pair would surely cause the most trouble and most likely to last till the end, unless someone decided to rally everyone else to gang up against them. It was likely, but the dracon was not optimistic about it. He decided he had to get himself to the top three.

Going through the stock, he picked a weapon he was most familiar with. The longsword. He had also took two daggers and donned on a easily removable leather armor. The armor, he was sure, would not help much against the two big dudes, but it would mask his other intentions in the beginning.

Maximus seek for some privacy, some paint and a mirror and spent some time there. He was glad for the many candlemarks before the battle as he needed time to change his scale color. Very slowly, he started changing the color of his scale to a darker tone. Black with a smattering of dark brown. He did not use any of the paint on face or body, but he did smear a bit of the paint on his claws and across the body of the borrowed blade. (Ensuring nothing touched the edge)

Once he was done, he took two more daggers and head to straight to the only man he knew. Darius. "Serale. What fun darkening we will have. We work well against a bear before, how about we work together to make it to the last three."

Then he offered the paint to Darius, checking if he want to use it.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

As Bolthur approached the Colosseum to inquire about how to participate in a fight, it seemed that a motley assortment of others had been drawn to the location as well. Was it because they'd seen a giant trying to sign up for a fight, or had it all been a coincidence? It didn't particularly matter. Bolthur just wanted to fight . . . and then drink. Grendal, the promoter of the fight quickly laid out the rules to the odd assortment of would-be gladiators. Although he wasn't particularly interested in the finer points of the rules, Bolthur paid attention nonetheless. One important fact stood out to the giant: there were to be no killing blows. With that statement made, Bolthur looked around at the other fighters. With the exception of the minotaur, he was doubtful that any of them had the physical ability to deal a killing blow to him. More importantly, though, how was he supposed to avoid killing them? One solid kick or punch would likely shatter every bone in their tiny bodies. Oh well. He was here to win, not pull his punches out of concern for people foolish enough to fight him.

The fighters had plenty of time to choose weapons and armor provided by the Colosseum. In that time, Bolthur surveyed the selection. He eventually settled on a set of leather armor, quietly lamenting the fact that they did not have a set of full plate for him to wear. Next, the giant perused the weapons, settling on a massive circular shield and a short handled war hammer.

With his weapons and armor chosen, Bolthur had nothing but time on his hands. The giant looked around at the various fighters. He held no animosity towards any of them. If anything the only thing he felt towards them was indifference. He'd be just as happy to share a drink with them under different circumstances . . . it just happened that they now found themselves in a situation in which they would be fighting each other for coin. Once again, Bolthur's gaze fell upon the minotaur. He really wanted to fight that creature. He turned the idea over in his head for a moment before approaching Aaster.

"Serale." Bolthur said. He wasn't much for small talk. He let the greeting hang in the air for a moment before throwing formalities to the wind. "Your the only fighter here that can challenge me. What do you say you and I make quick work of these others so we can make this a fight between you and me?" There. He'd said it. He'd wait for the cow's response, but he really hoped the two of them could agree that fighting each other would be the real show.
Old August 18, 2017, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

OOC: Ok two things here, one this is Karen I said I would be using my other pc. Two max you were in human form the last time we were together, so... now Darius has a reason to despise you even more plus i know your little secret but you don't know mine. since you said claws earlier and did not mention being in human guise I take it that means you are in dracon form so.

IC: Darius signed his name to the list the minotaur and the giant would probably pose the biggest threat then the dracon but he could use them to take each other out the human seemed like he wasn't even aware of what he signed up for. it could be a trick though he would have to keep an eye on him. Darius gave a look to the man holding the weapons they had came with "Loose any of my stuff and i will end you." he said with a very misleading smile. he placed his long sword, bow with 25 arrows, and his ten bear claw daggers down, then his back pack. he went over to the weapons rack and pulled a long sword and short sword still in scabbard on each side of his person. He saw some exotic weapons too like a sword with blades on each end.
he took this also and a light chest plate. For some reason the dracon seemed to know his name and spoke of a bear "By Jorel that means this dracon was the human who I had wanted to off back in vortex!" Darius thought angrily.
"well well then you must be max then. I have a better idea top two then who ever wins we split the prize money or we could go winner take all at that point to." Darius motioned over to a more private corner and lowered his voice. "We can discuss strategy over there. Once they were away from the others he continued. "The giant may not be as big a threat as the minotaur. All we have to do is a similar thing with him that we did with the bear to him, and we can use the giant to help get the minotaur out of the way. You hold the minotaur at bay and i will provoke the giant into smashing down at me when I am close enough to the minotaur you just trip him up and the giant will smash him. That way all that will be left is the human.

OOC2: I saw something similar on forged in fire so it is an authentic historical weapon.

Last edited by Darius Debuire; August 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old August 18, 2017, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Son of Jorel

After searching through the entire selection of wares he found a breast plate that fight as well as some iron arm and shin guards, he even found some horseshoes that fit quite nicely. 'Now to choose a weapon, he wasn't supposed to kill any of them... how would he do that?' he decided he didn't care and went for the giant great axe that sat in the back corner. He examined the somewhat blunted edge… he held it by the shaft… balanced it in his hands… swung it around… this would do.

He looked around at all the other would be gladiators. He wasn't stupid he knew they where all conspiring against him but he didn't care he thought so little of them he didn't even consider any of them a threat. The giant approached him as he was hammering his horseshoe on. He thought about his proposal for awhile, "Sure..." he finally grunted. This was a great opportunity, as soon as the giant was distracted he would take him out the rest of them didn't stand a chance after that.

There it was! The last piece… a giant horned helm… with a little finagling it fit snug, transforming him into a 4 horned iron clad behemoth strait out of Aeternia. 'HHHMMMMMP' he laughed and glared, axe in hand 'knob' to 'tow' it stood a few inches taller then him… it was time to put in some work.

Last edited by Aáster Fen'gári; August 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old August 19, 2017, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

Felynriia is unknown and forgotten
Felynriia held her breath for a moment as the quill rested just centimeters away from the colosseum waiver. She was desperate, but was she willing to hurt herself? She exhaled, and signed the paper with a solemn look. Riia scrutinized anyone and everyone walking into the massive building; a minotaur, a dracon, a giant, and an elven crossbreed, similar to herself, considering he too was part vysstichi, judging by his red eyes. She gave a tight-lipped "hmmpf" in thought. She'd prefer to take on one of the two larger competitors, considering the crossbreed could have skills similar to her own. As long as she didn't let the two beasts catch her, the odds could very well tip in her favor. That's only IF you don't let them catch you, she thought. The words of Grendan played over and over in her mind. She grinned at the prospect of wealth, no matter how small, that could be achieved through the arena, and set off to the weapon's stock.

Riia knew she had to go light, with everything. Although she knew her vysstichi blood gave her a little more strength than most elven women, she wasn't going to pit that against a minotaur and giant. Maybe the crossbreed if things got desperate, but she didn't count on it. As for the dracon, she knew it would be wise to use some sort of bludgeoning weapon, like a club or a warhammer, since using a blade would be foolish because of his armor-like scales. Plus he put armor on top of that. She silently prayed to Rak that he'd be taken care of by the giant or the minotaur, since Riia had no idea how to use a club or a warhammer. After much contemplation, she chose four daggers and a set of leather armor that wouldn't prohibit quick, sudden movement. Riia sat down and made sure the daggers were clean, looking around for any toxic... enhancements. True, the rules did say that killing another opponent was prohibited. However, if she could find perhaps a diluted venom that would only cause pain and not death, she might be able to get away with it. She battled with herself about it as she leaned against the wall, studying her one of her daggers. The rest she had concealed.

Last edited by Felynriia; August 19, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Felynriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

Darius saw the new comer another half vysstichi and a woman no less the only one who would be able to keep up with his speed most likely. perhaps it would be best to embarrasses the woman before he took her out. if having her clothes sliced off didn't embarrass her enough to quit. besides it might distract the others just had to not get distracted by the eye candy himself. Darius gave a nod to Maximus "She's mine i want to humiliate her,"

Old August 26, 2017, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Nobody's Hero

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Lyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious SuperheroLyr Tlansson is a glorious Superhero

OOCsorry guys, first time I tried to post my computer ate my post, and I hate redoing posts

Lyr was a bit less drunk by the time Grendal led everyone into the weapons' storeroom. This was good, on the one hand, because there were lots of very sharp and pointy things around; at the same time, he'd sobered enough to have taken a good look at the other combatants, and to have determined that none of the assorted sharp and pointy things - or blunt things, or massive things, or throwable things, etc. - was really going to balance the scales in a fight against, say, a giant. Or, say, a minotaur.

At least there was an entrance pay - even a small payout was more than what Lyr currently had in his pockets. Still, despite being a relatively large vagaran, who were after all a race known for their fighting skills, Lyr was not exactly the type to go all berserker and stuff. He had too much of a sense of self-preservation for that - and at the moment, all of the sensors that had been dulled by rum were now flashing red-alert.

But there was not much he could do about it now - he had much too much pride to back out of things (and, hey, he was just dumb and still drunk enough to think that maybe he'd get lucky - so he wandered over to a promising-looking set of leather armour and a longsword. He was out of practice, but it would do, and he could always fall back on his fists (Lyr's preferred methodology) when and if he had to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The contestants got a few candle marks to cool their heels, but all in all, the time seemed to pass quickly enough in the expectation of the fight. Everyone was able to acquire the weapons they had wanted, though Felynriia was not, in fact, able to find any vials of venom: poison wasn't really the sort of thing that made for good sport in the arena.

Anyway, everyone was probably getting a bit restive by the time the door was once again thrown open and Grendal reappeared, looking even more smug than before. The reason for that became apparent with the first words out of his mouth: "Good news boys - and girl - the stands are full!" Clearly, the head trainer's methods for publicizing the match had worked - though maybe that, too, had had to do with the liberal use of the words "giant" and "minotaur".

"Everyone ready? Right then!" Grendal didn't wait for a reply to the mostly rhetorical question, but motioned the contestants over to the opposite end of the room, were there were a set of doors. "Each one of you will go through one these doors into the tunnels, and that'll bring you up to the arena at your own entrance. Once you're in the arena the fight starts, so don't wait around!" Grendal motioned everyone over: as he did so the doors were opened from the inside, and each of the contestants was ushered through by one of the arena staff, leading them through the tunnels to the arena itself.

As they moved the noise of the crowd became audible and, when each of the contestants stepped out onto the sand of the arena itself, the roar became positively deafening. The first second they were all - especially those with vyssie blood among them - probably a bit deafened and overwhelmed by the light, such a powerful contrast to the darkness of the tunnels or the weapons' room in which they'd spent so much of their time.

Each of the gates through which they'd entered were spaced out along the edge of the circular arena. The area was large and clear, but for the sand that made for a bit of softer footing. It so happened that they were positioned thusly in the circle:

Aaster -- Lyr -- Darius -- Bolthur -- Felynriia -- Maximus, with Maximus and Master being close to one another too, of course.

So it was up to each contestant to decide who they would go for first and how they would position themselves as the trainers slammed the gates shut behind them.

Next post will be on Saturday, September 2nd (or earlier if everyone has posted)

ooc2from this point on, please keep it to one post per turn. Lets have fun!

~Character Information Repository~
~Kevin Ostapenko Award 2005~

Last edited by Lyr Tlansson; August 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Lyr Tlansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus agreed to Darius' request. He had no qualms to who he would target. "By all means, she's yours."

As he walked through the tunnel into the arena, he focused his wills and drew upon his vis. He was going to create a near invisible chest sized shield of force over his left arm. It had an advantage over normal shield that it did not hinder his movement, sap his strength when it was hit. The bad point was, it was only able to repel average-strength physical blows for about five minutes. He doubt the fight would last only five minutes.

The arena door slammed shut behind him and he released his spell. He looked around. Aaster and Felynriia was nearest to him. He waited where he stood, deciding to allow others to make their first move. If either Aaster or Bolthur came at him, he would play cat and mouse, that was, running away from them. As for the rest, he believed he could hold them off, one way or another.

He would keep to his promised though. If Darius decided to take on a target, he would slowly edge forward to attack Darius target from the back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: