Old July 20, 2017, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maximus Navire is a dubious Denizen
[Nexus Prime] New Personality, New Magic

Ioannes Era XXIV

Seoni, the new elven guise of Maximus the dracon. She wanted to create a personality for herself, a new ability to use. As Maximus, he had always wanted to be the master of the four elements, but he never found a reason to venture beyond his personality knowledge of sorcery. Now he did.

Maximus understood hedgemage were not really welcome in academies as they deemed it impure. He had to find a teacher in elementalism in other ways. As Marcaida the human blacksmith, he had listened to any rumours of tutors to elementalism. As Maximus, he had asked around if there was anyone interested to teach a dracon elementalism. He decided against using Seoni to search for anything or to learn. She would be kept as a secret.

Maximus travelled through the city, seeking for a teacher and at the same time, racking his brain if he had any information gathered from the past.
Old July 24, 2017, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

Icefyre is a dubious Denizen

oocAnd so the journey begins :-)

Maximus walked the streets wanting to try to find someone who would be willing to pass on their knowledge of elementism. Perhaps the university may not be willing but there were those that were willing to sell their services as mages for hire, as mercenaries, or as Stall holders in the market places. Perhaps Maximus should try to locate them first. So where to start the market, or a local tavern?

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus remembered an old conversation between his foster parents. His mother had demanded why they have to visit taverns in town to look for information. His father reply was, people tends to be more forthcoming when they have some mead in their stomach and it was hard to find the right kind of people in teahouses.

It was for this very reason Maximus went into a tavern. He looked around the tavern and 'called' to check for any dracons around before seeking a table and order himself a meal and a mug of mead.
Old July 24, 2017, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

The Serving girl took the order,(oocwhatever you want that would have been on a taverns menu? You decide :-), and then moved off. She returned with a mug of mead, and stated the food would be coming soon.

If Maximus looked around he would see that there were a couple of tables that had occupants around them.

The first table had a man, and woman, sitting opposite each other, every so often she would lean over a whisper something that seemed to have the male all bothered. He would guesture to either, his food, or the glass that was off to the side of his plate.

The second table that was occupied had a lone female. She was fashionably dressed, and as a serving maid, or waiter passed she would ask a question of them. They would shake their heads.

The third had a couple of men. They both wore light leather armour. The daggers at their sides, and the weapons placed close to their seats said more than they did, for all they did was bring their mugs to their faces every so often to take a mouthful of ale.

Lastly was a single older gentleman. He was dressed in a dark cloak about his shoulders, and he smoked a very long pipe. His beard was trimmed, but long, and the speckled nature of it showed he was not young. He sat drinking tea.

Was Maximus in the right place?

Old July 24, 2017, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus looked at the four tables. The first table had a couple, most likely the female was having the usual 'complains' about lousy food and drinks.

On the second table the female seemed to be waiting for someone special, but he was not one to judge at this moment.

The third table had had to be avoided. Most likely toughs

The fourth table had a tea drinking man. Drinking tea in a tavern? That was interesting.

Maximus took a drink from his mug and carried it over to the gentleman. "Serale. Can't help but notice you around here. Don't seem like the usual crowd around this area. Just wondering if you are here seeking help or finding people to help? Name's Maximus."
Old July 26, 2017, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

The man at the table was a people watcher. He was busy doing that when this one approached his table. His bushy brows raised as Maximus approached, and introduced himself. The man took an extremely long draw on his pipe, exhaled the smoke and indicated that Maximus should join him, in the seat opposite.

"Serale Maximus. In answer to your question I'm not doing either of those things. I'm busy watching people. I like to see how they react with each other, and then study them. It's just a past time of mine. Takes me out of the big school, where I teach and all. All that study, students throwing spells around the place... with this the man took another long draw on his pipe, blew a perfect smoke ring, and then watched that for a moment before continuing. well its just nice not to have to throw a guard up to protect myself. . With this he gave a small chuckle.
"So what are you doing in a place like this then, Maximus? Oh, by the way Professor Efibin, at you service. I teach Sorcery at the university."

Last edited by Icefyre; July 26, 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old July 26, 2017, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

"Nice to meet you, Profession Efibin." Maximus took the seat opposite of the professor. "I'm actually here to have a meal and contemplating on further learning..."

He took a long drink from his mug. "Actually, I was thinking to learn the secrets of ice and fire. It is still a pleasure to meet you, a sorcerer that attained the level of a professor, but..." Maximus left what he was obviously going to say hanging.

"By the way, Professor. I have heard of the term, Head-Mage. Are these mages who are really powerful? I was protected by a traveler who was able to heal my wounds by just laying his hands on me and then within a blink of an eye, bring me back into the safety of a nearby town. He called himself a Head-mage." Maximus had not encounter this himself, but he had heard it from another friend. He decided this story would be a good idea to check the local university ideas of training Hedgemages.
Old July 26, 2017, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hero

As Maximus spoke the teacher began to get, what could only be termed as flustered, or maybe outraged. Either way, the way the professor draw on his pipe, caused two things; one, the tobacco in his pipe was all used up in this draw, two, the professor took so much smoke in that it was too much, causing him to exhale the massive amount, and end in a racking cough. The cough went on for what seemed at least a candlemark, it didn't take that long, but it seemed like it. After regaining some composure he spoke again.

"Head Mage?.... Head Mage?... head? I hope you are not referring to what I think you are. Those are not worthy of mention in normal society. I would not even ask about such as those. They ruin and taint the planes, if you are talking about Head mages as you call them... . Another cough rent his body. The professor took a sip of his tea. "Do not mention that to anyone else, and not here again, or my code of ethics de damned I'll blow you out of this area. Now, fire, and Ice? The elements. Those are pure, and can be taught if you want to learn. I know another professor, who is of the same opinions as me. If you want to learn he would teach you. Come to the university when you are ready, or if you want to learn. Is there anything else you want to talk about? . The professor started to pull out his 'bacco storage pouch to refill his pipe.

Old July 26, 2017, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus watched the professor's reaction and knew his probing of hedgemages was the right decision. He allowed the professor to calm down and composed a curious look on his face. "I assume a head mage is no good?"

Then he took another drink from his mug. "Alas, a university. I wish I have the time for such a place of learning. As you can see," He brought up his claws, then shrugged. "Or cannot see, the calluses on my hand. I am making my ends meet working for a blacksmith, carrying things, working on pumps and the likes. I doubt I can find time to learn in a university setting or pay the fees for such establishment."

He sighed softly. "I will not disturb you on your smoke. I think my dinner is served. I should eat it fast and get back to work."

Maximus would return to his table, unless someone stopped him. He was hoping someone else in the tavern had heard his talk about hedgemagery and join him to, what did the professor say? Taint the planes together.
Old July 31, 2017, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hero

As Maximus returned to his seat the serving maid. Fought the food he had ordered and placed it on his table.

As Maximus would begin to eat he may now notice that the two males that had previously been uninterested in him, now seemed to be discussing something between themselves. The tones being used were quiet and subtle but they certainly seemed agitated about some thing. They kept looking back and forth to the main edit to the place, as if expecting someone else to come through the door. As if by arcana, another male came through the door. He was dressed the same as the other males, one of which moved over so that the new male could join them. There was another bout of discussions ND between the three males now, but at the end of it the new male got up and approached Maximus' table sitting down opposite Maximus, without any indication he needed to be invited.

"My men say that you be talking and asking the questions of the old man bout them head mages? Now if this is true, are you looking for one for the right reasons? Prey tell why you be looking for them?". With this his hand moved to his dagger just to make his point.

Last edited by Icefyre; July 31, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 31, 2017, 03:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

Things was getting interesting. A third man entered the room and he just walked towards his table. Maximus finished the last bite from his plate and took up his mug. His eyes went to the stranger's table as he finished his drink as well. If there was going to be trouble, he wanted to be filled.

"Yes. Head mages. You know of one?" Maximus asked politely. "I met with one before and hope to meet another one, especially if that head mage can use fire and ice."
Old August 1, 2017, 01:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hero

The newcomer on hearing the words from m Maximus became very more tense but didn't move yet.

"Yes we know of one. We've been hired by someone to make sure that he is, shall we say, put out of business. Now you say you want to find him? And by you attitude it seems as if you want to find him for the wrong reasons. I give you fair warning, and choose your answer carefully, I would suggest you leave this place now and get out of this city for you are not welcome here. None of your kind will be welcome here, for the other mages will not allow it. Leave, and look elsewhere, otherwise we will be given a new target. You are not our target at the moment so you are free to go. I suggest you do so!

The thugs at the other table now came and flanked the 'leader' of this group. All three had their hands on their weapons.

Old August 1, 2017, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Famous

The dracon smiled as the thug's leader needed additional support. There was no surprise there. He gathered these people were either around to protect the hedgemage or to kill him.

"Out of business you said? I owned a favor to someone to give this to him." He patted his longsword meaningfully. "But I need to get some information out of him first. Maybe you can tell me where he is and a few brightenings later, I can return to let you know where he was."

He leaned back on his seat, but his mind clenched, ready to cast any spell in a pinch.
Old August 1, 2017, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hero

The thug leader raised a hand to his chin, and thought things through. He hadn't been able to get close to the Mage because the Mage must have known he was coming and would either move on, or be out of the building, or just plain send a few spells his gangs way to trip him up. Perhaps this one could help ferret the Mage out, so that he could g tbto him, and then claim his dues from the others.

"Ok, here's the deal. You go to this old man, delivery your message, or sword, or whatever. But you have to get him out of his place to the open so we can, 'have words'. You do this and we will leave you alone, any sign of a double cross and you will be the person we chosen to be looking for. That understood?"

Old August 1, 2017, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Famous

"Deal." A feral grin appeared on the Dracon's face. "Just a warning. If my message is delivered properly, you may have to come into the building to clean everything up. Might take a few brightenings though, to gain his trust."

Maximus pushed his blade back into his sheath and leaned back. "So where do I find this person for my message."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: