Old June 27, 2017, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maximus Navire is unknown and forgotten
[Nexus Prime] Starting Out on his New Job

Early Winter Era: XXIV

In the recent years around Nexus Prime, Maximus rarely head out as his own Draconic self. He found himself so often in the guise of Marcaida the down on his luck middle aged human, that it felt more real to him than Maximus. He sighed to himself as he traveled to his new workplace, one of the weapon smith of Nexus Prime.

Maximus, or rather, Marcaida pushed open the smithy and smiled to himself. It was only two cycles ago when he was one of the many human wagoner who delivered material around the city. By the purest of chance, he overheard that a weapon smith needed new apprentices to meet the new orders and Maximus simply grabbed the chance. The interview had gone kinda of bad as he did not have a Visa (As Marcaida claimed he seemed to have lost it in one of the roadside brawling as a wagoner), but fate decided to play out a different path. One of the apprentices hammer flew out of his hand and was heading straight towards the mastersmith's head when Maximus jumped out and casted "Deflect". This action shocked both the mastersmith and the caster! Maximus had never did such impromptu casting before! It was also this action that the mastersmith trusted that Marcaida had truly lost his Visa and was really down on his luck... No school would have taught magic to a barbari! What's more, he had saved the smith from certain injury!

In the present, he looked around for his teacher, to begin his training on the art of making weapon.

Last edited by Maximus Navire; August 17, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
Maximus Navire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Luminary

Icefyre is a dubious Denizen

The dwarf weapon smith, Graxa Coalborn, known as just Graxa, was the type of dwarf you listen to, do as he said, or wait for a hammer to hit you in the side of the head. He didn't care if you were elf, human, Cether, goblin, or dwarf, if you didn't listen, and take heed then suffer his wrath you were going to do. He was quick to anger and even quicker to pick up a pair of tongs from the furnace, and whack you over the head with them. He was about average height for a dwarf, and about as stout as he was high, thus giving him a bowling ball perspective as he would hurry down the streets of Nexis. His hair, dark brown,was usually platted in a tail down his back, and his beard was usually tied, either over and around his neck, or tucked in his apron, to make sure that it didn't catch alight on any hot metal, or in the furnace, although there were times the beard would get caught by the odd spark, and much huffing and puffing would ensue, as he would try to put his pride and joy out. He had a gruf voice that sounded as sweet and musical as a violin being played with a lump of granite, that some found hard to understand, but if you were listening, then you would pick up most of what he said.

Graxa had needed a new apprentice, as his other one had just left to persue his own career. That had left a hole, and into that hole had fallen Maximus. To say Graxa was underwhelmed at the moment was an understatement, as he'd had a new order come through for some simple swords and daggers, and now he would have to get the new boy to start to work rather than throw damned tools around willy nilly. The other thing the Graxa didn't take to kindly to was magic, so user beware, "if ye wanna start a usin, that in 'ere, then ya gonna get a whack o' a tong cross ya arse!

The order needed to be made so it was about time that Graxa started the human form of Marcaider, and get to put him to work learning the basics of this here weaponsmith.

"Now then laddie get o'er by 'ere so I can get ya to do some work ya bag o bones, and maybe put some meat on ya torso for good measure. Now see this here pair of bellows? These are used to heat up the flames of this 'ere forge see. Now I'm going to give ya a job to do that will help ya self and me out. So first this bar here needs to be heated up till it's glowing red hot in the forge. So that means two things.

One: you do not hold the bar with ya mitts, or those hands a yours. When ever at the forge always use a pair of tongs. The metal may look dull and not hot, but I seen many a simple mistake of picking up a hot bar take a load of flesh and turn it into a blistered wreck that will ne'er work again. If I sees ya anywhere near 'ere without tongs in ya mitt I'll be throwing then straight at ya head, you got that?

Two: To get the bar warm ya gona need to pump them there bellows. The air will make the coals burn really hot and that's when ya go a need to keep an eye on the metal bar. Ya want it a bright red, just turning between red and a dull orange. When the bar is that colour, I'll be telling ya what to do next. Now get to it, lazy bones.

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please

Last edited by Icefyre; June 28, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

Marcaida quickly moved towards his new teacher, Graxa. "Yes! Reporting for training, Master Graxa Sir!"

He listened carefully to the explanation and nodded. "Never use hands and use the bellows to make the metal bar hot! Yes sir!"

He used the tongs to pick up the metal bar and placed it into the forge. He began pumping air with the bellow and he noticed with that the fire grew hotter. He smiled. The heat didn't really bother him. He was actually enjoying the furnace heat and watching the metal bar slowly changed its color! Soon, he felt his hand grew tired and he slowed down a little. After a short while, he noticed the bar remained in the dull orange color and not turning to a redder shade anymore. Instinctively, he began pumping harder...

"Master Grexa Sir! I have done it." Marcaida called to the dwarf when he finally noticed the metal bar turning red.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa watched as his young charge began his work. Th e bar was looking to be at the right temperature for a start to be made.

"Aye lad now keep pumping the coals a bit while explain the next part to ya! as Graxa had noticed the use of the bellows had eased off. " Now then lad, this is the interesting part see cause we now need to start forming this pice of metal into what we wants it to be. First, ya need to change that their pair of tongs," pointing at the tongs that Marcaida had used to hold the metal bar, " Ya need that there pair which are flat on both sides of the jaws. Use that to hold the metal. And ya better put a pair of these hide mitts on ya hands as well, as they will cussion some of the vibrations from the belting we go be giving this 'ere bar. Once you've change these we need to look at this here big shaped chunk of metal you be standing beside. This 'ere thing be called an anvil. You heard of these things? Well, if na then you need to know what each part he gona be used for. KEEP THEM Their bellows going or I'll be smack ya round the head. Now this flat bit on top is where we be placing the metal bar. We then need tools for job. We have some other areas on here though, this tapering cone end of the anvil will be where we can form the metal into curves, and you might be sharp eyed enough to notice a couple of holes in the flat? This are for use to put other toolie bits in that will help us. The circle hole there about a third in on the left side is called the Pritchel, and we use that if we need to punch a tool through the bar, or if we be welding bars together, I be showing that to ya later, the square hole be called the hardie hole, this be where we can insert other tools we made here to help form the metal. At the back end of the anvil, we have the upsetting block I be showing the use of that later as well.

Ok now then we need to be thinking on the hammer we go a use, blast it lad KEEP pumping them their bellows. Now we have a few hammers 'ere, you want one with a smooth flat surface, because we be wanting to hit this ere metal to draw it out. This be where we begin to make the bar stretch out longer than it is now see. So we be picking up hammer, use the flat end of that thing, not the rounded, and laying the heated end of metal bar on the flat of the anvil here and we are go a hit the bar, working from the start of the hot area, out towards the end of the bar. Then we turn the bar over and do the same the other side. The idea is we make bar longer and a little thinner in the process. Don't be too long about it though as the bar be cool before you know it. If you see all the heat going and it bit turning to a dull dark red, get the bar back int the forge and warm it back up again. We be lookin to draw the metal bar from its size now to about a couple of inches to it. If it becomes too thin it be no good to us though, so be careful on not too long at this moment anyways. I be watching ya as ya make progress so start er up and have a go. Remember we need precision hits - NOT maximum force ere, ok?"

oocAll terms in bold are real blacksmith terms. I will be using them regularly so pick up on them and use them back as you learn them, as this will help get some realism in the training ok. I'll throw a few terms I make up in there but that be just the dwarf having a rant or something:-)

Old June 29, 2017, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

Marcaida quickly put on a mitt when instructed and took over the tongs. He listened carefully to the explanation of the Anvil. He knew what an anvil was, of course! He had been a good student as a child! What he did not know was the various parts of the anvil. He had always though an anvil is simply a metal thingy to craft weapons and other metal tools. He had a long way to go...

He had stopped on his pumping while Grexa was explaining and suddenly jumped when the dwarf told him to continue his work with the bellow. "Oh! Yes! The Bellow!" Marcaida continued the pumping work as he listened on. There was so much to blacksmithing then he thought!

As instructed, Marcaida brought the cherry red metal out with his tongs and placed it on the flat of the anvil. He took a hammer and started pounding with a strength he knew he could continuing doing so for at least the next ten minutes without tiring. That saying, those were not weak strikes. Each still be strike would be strong enough to break some teeth! He knew that well, for in his stint as a wagoner, he had broken quite a few teeth street brawling.

Marcaida began to smile as he noticed the metal bar becoming flatter and longer. He turned the bar and continued his work. As time ticked on, the metal began to cool and soon it was quite dull in color. The human/dracon took the piece of metal, heat it up again and when it was back to the bright color, he pounded on it once more. When there was an obvious... almost... five inches increased in length, he stopped and looked at Grexa, seeking his approval. "Sir. Would this be a good length?"
Old June 29, 2017, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa watched as his new apprentice began to draw out the bar. The bar Graxa had given Marcaida was about 10" x 2" x 1/2" when it started. He watched as the bar was drawn for about 4.5" extra, until Marcaider responded that he had completed his first step. Graxa moved over and looked the work over so far. For a first attempt it wasn't so bad, Graxa had seen a lot worse, to the point that a slippery serpent would have seen straighter than some, but he was happy for Marcaider to continue.

"Ok lad, you're on the right track with this bar here, little bit untidy on the edges, but a swift run o're the grindstone later should sort that out. So far you've kept the bar reasonably straight though, which is good, we now need to think what a sword looks like. I hope ya knows what a sword looks like? Sometimes it was hard to tell if the gruff old dwarf was joking, and he never really gave time for rolling on the floor laughing, so he continued. So we now need to form the end into more of a point. This will be done is a couple of actions. So far ya drawn out the bar using just the two largest flat sides of the metal. Now we perform similar actions again but add in the two thin edges using the flat of the anvil, and the hammer as a press to move the metal, and thin it into a point. So now you actions will be in a cycle of a couple of taps on a flat side, turn that bar onto one edge, tap on the thin edge next. This should thin, but squash the bar a little, then turn onto the other flat side a couple of taps, and then the last turn to draw the bar to a thinner, more pointy bar. Don't go whacking the bar too hard or we be starting all over again, or the sword will turn out one weird snake. One more thing, ya need to decide what your sword be looking like. By that I mean ya need to decide now are you going to have a long flat blade with a short taper at the end, or is your sword gona be longer with a more gradual taper, cause this will decide how much of the bar ya going to need to beat, and how you are going to put the taper on the length you want. We are not making a round bar mind so always bare in mind you need to keep at least a noticeable difference in the sides of the bar, even 1/2" inch from the end there should be two longer edges with two short. You understand that lad? If you got questions ask em now, otherwise ya better get to work on the bellows gain, cause this be more precise work, and too hard a hit means we fold the metal and start gain, and a smack round ya head with that there big hammer. So don't make me get that alright?". Graxa looked Marcaider in the eye willing him to ask a question so he could either go get a rod to Put somewhere painful, or if it were a true question he would grumble away like he always did, but he would provide the answers if the question was a serious one.

Last edited by Icefyre; June 29, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old June 29, 2017, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

When Marcaida was asked if he knew what a sword looked like, he simply stared oddly at Graxa. Of course he knew. He grew up in a battlefield and owned a sword. That it hit him. The smith must be joking. Marcaida nodded. "Yes sir. I do know. My late father used a sword to fight last time."

After all the explanations, Marcaida noticed the edges was really jagged. He guessed he have to learn how to fix it somehow, with something called a grind. Then he shook his head. "No master smith sir. I understand what I must do for now. Make it hot again, make a point so that it can be used to stab and decide what kind of sword this will become. I will get to work."

He started on the bellow again and mused that he really spent a lot of time at the bellow. He saw it turned back to the cheerful red color and he began hammering and pressing. He knew how a sword looked like and he fixed the image in his head. He wanted to make a longsword, and thus it would have a gradual taper at the end.

If the bar turned to a dull orange, he will return to the forge once again and he felt that slowly, but surely, the sword was taking shape... He would continue until his master stopped him or he felt it was in the right shape and size.
Old June 30, 2017, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa watched as Marcaida continued his work, heating, tapping the bar to make th over all shape of the sword that he wanted to make. The Master weaponsmith kept an eye, pretending to go towards the hammer every so often just to keep his chrge on his toes. When the blade was finished in Marcaida's eyes, Graxa stepped up. He took the blade in his tongs and made a point of holding the blade up so that he could check if the apprentice had made a blade that was straight. As a first attempt it wasn't too bad, a little skewed, right at the tip but that could be adjusted.

"Well that's passable me lad, just need a quick adjustment, at the tip but not bad. Now once ya corrected the end we need to look at the other end of the blade. Now do ya know the name of the other end of the sword boy?" It was retorical question, because Graxa was going to tell him, even if he did. "Right boy, you now need to switch the bar around, and start forming the Hilt, or grip area. Now we are going to try to make the bar go from being rectangular, to being Drawn to a thin tube, but with a smooth finish, if we can. The tube may grow too long but we can cut off the excess, once you have decided how long a grip you are going to need, do not do the cutting yet, cause we need some excess, to make the Pommel. So we go through the same process of drawing, but we are now going to need to change how we hit the bar, because we want a tube so we need mor hits on thethinner edgers, to bring the metal closer to being square, once we have a square bar we then tap along the edges of the square to make one of them there 8 sided things, think they call it a Octiegone, or something like that, anyways once we've got the octie-whatsit, we then hit the edges again, to make the edges rounder, doing this until we get the tube. Once you got that done boy wait and we'll discuss the end of the hilt, and adding the pommel. So get to it lad, or ya getting tired? No room for slackers here, boy, so get to it." Again the dwarf moved off grumbling something about not being able to hire the staff he needed under his breath. Graxa must be in a good mood though cause by now his first ever Apprentice had been knocked out on the floor with the hammer left beside him...

Old June 30, 2017, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

Marcaida was nervous the whole time he was hammering. Grexa kept looking for fault! He had to draw on the strength of Maximus to keep working. He had a short musing. While in Marcaida form, he was quite servitude, friendly and so wanting to please... But in his original form, he was still friendly, but a lot more confident, reactive and definitely nastier.

"It is the H..." Marcaida began, but he was cut short.

After all the instructions, he guessed it was bellowing time again, unless Graxa stopped him. He began hammering the other side to create the hilt. He hammered steadily, until it grew to there was, he estimated, space for about 3 hands to grip it nicely. After that, the instruction was a bit hazy, but Marcaida did not dare to ask. He simply did what he was told.

He continued the processing of drawing so that he could make the Pommel. Taking in mind that he needed to form a 8 sided thingy this time, he flatted one side, turned the bar a little and flatted the other side. He was glad the moment he saw the 8 sides... It was time to hammer the edges in, but he was careful not to use so much strength that it will be flatten. He remembered he wanted a round tube. No point banging the edges and return with 8 sides again.

When he was done, he showed his piece.
Old July 2, 2017, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa watched as the hilt began to form. There was going to be excess material, but the sword was beginning to look to be forming into something more swordlike. Once Marcaida had gone as far as he needed to Graxa returned. Again he made a great show of taking the metal, now nearly formed enough to call it a sword, and to check it for it's straightness, and all other aspects of the bar, come sword, that would mean the piece would be usable, and more importantly, could be sold.

"Well lad it's not too bad, a little wobble 'ere and there, but we can cure that can't we. So you need to decide now if this here weapon you are making is fit for more that one mit to hold? Bare in mind boy, that the longer the hilt the balance of the weapon will change so we need to think this trough. A one handed sword will have a balance point about ere', just past centre, that point will move closer for a one and half, or two handed sword. Also we can think now what sort of top to the hilt you be wanting. We can go for a circular pommel, but these take a lot of time, and precision, a bit out of your league just yet lad. I'd suggest we go for a flat oval pommel, easier to do, and we can use that to help with defining the balance. Or you can just have a very plain, flatten square pommel. Very easy to do, no real issues, again helping balance the sword. So lad, what do ya want the pommel to be, decide this after knowing how many hands be holding this thing though.

Old July 2, 2017, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

Marcaida watched the piece of metal bar turning to what looked like a sword and felt pleased with himself. After Graxa commented a wee bit negatively, he didn't mind. In fact, he felt happier. After such a short stint with the smith, he believed Graxa was one that rarely compliment.

"I want it to be a primary used as a one handed sword." Marcaida decided. "And a flat oval pommel will be better. It is my first blade, and I think it will not be a good idea to go for easiest?"

If Graxa asked him to start working, he would follow the instructions to the letter.
Old July 3, 2017, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa nodded as his apprentice didn't take the easiest route, but preferred the flat oval as the swords top of the hilt.
"Aye lad ye chose a good top for ya first one, as ya gets better then the ornate work can be put in order. So we need to lose a few inches of the bar. So what's ya need is that there big chisel. Ya warm the bar up bright orange this time, bring it over so that the hilt is on the flat, I'll hold the chisel in place then, when I nod me head, you hit it. I mean you hit the chisel, ya take a cheap shot at me head and I'll insert this chisel sideways where it'll hurt ya hear. So get to warming up the bar. I'll place the chisel when ready, ya might need two hits, ya bloody humans can't hit for burnt sugar, but we will see"

So Marcaida will need to make sure his aim is true or the dwarf has something nasty planned for that there chisel.

oocyou can assume that when you have placed the sword hilt Graxa will position the chisel so you can hit it.

Old July 3, 2017, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

Marcaida was right! Pumping the bellow was a main part of smithing! And off he goes, back to making the metal bar hot, but luckily, he just needed it to be bright orange. It will be faster this time. When he was done, he position the sword hilt and watched Graxa placed the chisel. In the future, he got to do it himself.

As Graxa explained the process, Marcaida wondered how many times his headI spent 3 minutes RL laughing myself silly was struck at before the dwarf had to make such a disclaimer. Was there so many silly people out there? "Yes Master Graxa Sir. Aim at the chisel, not you." He said earnestly.

Marcaida prepared himself. Although he was a human in looks, his muscles were pure dracon, a race crafted by the dark god for war. Furthermore, he had spent many an era freighting heavy materials all over the city. He aimed carefully, and struck the top of the chisel with half his maximum strength... A strength he knew would usually knock another wagoner silly.

If that strike was not hard enough, Marcaida would look disappointed and make a second strike with similar strength.
Old July 3, 2017, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Luminary

Graxa waited for the chisel to be struck, with a good hit that was enough to break the bar and remove the unwanted. Graxa nodded again, and then realised what he had done, he jumped a step backwards just in case the human thought he was supposed to hit his head this time.

nott to bad lad, I'll give ya that. Ok, so now all that left for the first part of swordmaking is the pommel. What ya need to do now is get the hilt end red hot and then laying the sword agin on the flat, ya leave the hilt over the edge. You will then tap the end so that the tube of the hilt end will begin to bulge. Make the bulge as big as you think would make the sword comfortable to hold, and then, after another warming, form the bulge by bringing it onto the flat and tapping it to form the flat end, and the smooth rounded, oval of the pommel. Ya think ya do that without me holding ya hand boy? If so get to it. I'm gonna have a drink of water, use presise hits to form the oval mind otherwise you be wasted all the candlemark you just used up.

Old July 3, 2017, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

"I understand Master Graxa Sir." Marcaida replied.

Once again to the bellow Marcaida went. After it was heated to the cheery red he wanted, he took it out and tap on the end of the hilt, until the bulge was as big as his own longsword. That had always been comfortable to hold for him, so he see no reason to use any other sizes.

Once it was done, it was the bellow once again. This time when he took it out, he brought it to the flat and made the flat end, and the oval of the pommel, keeping in mind to use precision rather than strength. When all was well and done, he looked up to look for his teacher.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: