Old June 1, 2017, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Blacken is a malevolent Minion
[Arium Highlands] Hermits & Hoodlums

Early Spring of XXIV

"I have some friends, some honest friends,
And honest friends are few;
My pipe of briar, my open fire,
A book that's not too new..."

A black knight, in black armor, under a black cloak, cowering down next to a black horse.
Black hair, black eyes, and a heart, blacker than the very sun at this black hour.

Black gloves, black flint, black steel, and a black fire - because lighting it with frozen fingers has so far, led to black.

After two, three years inside a lightless cave near Mileswick - Blacken is back!

Jump in, whoever likes, ladies and gentlemen! Let's have some fun!

Last edited by Blacken; June 1, 2017 at 03:58 AM.
Blacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Icefyre is a dubious Denizen

The young initiate had walked, mostly during the dusk, and early darkening from the main city, and out into the surrounding countrysides. He wasn't afraid, and was his luck, for the most part he had kept himself to himself not interacting with anyone, mainly because where he went the paths were not well trodden. The heralds of spring were constant in the air with the smell of fresh new growth assaulting the nostrils of all that were able to smell it. This ranckled the young man as he preferred the smell of fresh laid sod upon the graves he tended in the graveyard. The sounds of Animals in the forests and woods were not unnerving but he knew well they could be a threat so he kept his wits about him as he moved. He rested when he could but sleep was a thing that he didn't need much of, and as long as he was able to find berries or the odd fowl, or other animals to catch he kept himself fed and watered.

His travels brought him to the highlands, if he had originally thought of his purpose in this particular excursion, he may well have found himself elsewhere, but just going where his will, or whim took him, had led him to this place. He moved with ease but still trying to sense if anything nasty was either ahead, laying in wait, or following, getting ready to pounce. As he progressed he found the glade, area where there sat the dark knight. It was hard to tell from where he was if the knight had noticed him or not but he had tried to be silent as he moved not to alert strangers, or enemies, to his presence. He stooped where he was and watched and waited to see if he had been spotted. No point in raising a problem, if the problem didn't exist, was there?

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

From afar, what Blacken did might have resembled stoic meditiation.

From close by, it became clear that he was simply freezing, and miserably so,

When he spotted the newcomer, his hands went to his sword, as he had been trained. But given how cold he was, and how badly he was trembling, he did not manage to get the sword out of the scabbard, nor to even grip it well.

In fact, from afar, it might well have looked as if he was waving with the sheathed sword, so the visitor would come near.
Old June 24, 2017, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

[ooc]this is the one [/ooc]

Did that Dark knight just wave?

Daffydd had watched, and there seemed to be a motion as if to bring him forward. Well... it was a chance he was willing to take. He had not had much interaction with anyone around this region. Was this region known for bandits? Daffydd didn't know. But he was willing to take the risk.

He stood.

He raised his hands in front of him in the universal signal for showing was not armed.

Daffydd then moved closer to the knight. He stopped the other side of the small fire that the knight was crouching at. And then spoke in his soft tones.

Serale, I am Daffydd. I am just walking, and noticed you crouching here. If I am interrupting your meditations I will move on.

Last edited by Icefyre; June 24, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old June 25, 2017, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

Blacken lowered - as well as he just could - his sword, and nodded - cramped and twitched - towards the new arrival.

"M-m-m-m-matches", was all he could push out between his clenched teeth.
Old June 26, 2017, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

Matches?

Daffydd hadn't realised that the whole of this knight was cold, and the fireplace was set but not alight. Luckily he had a few of the fire starters left so he stooped down and lit the various tinder that was available in the area the knight had assigned to being the fire. As the knight seemed to be so cold he was having trouble moving, Daffydd took on the responsibility of getting the fire to the point where some generous heat could flow towards the knight. Daffydd wondered why the knight had not had chance to even get something going in the way of a flame, but didn't ask out loud, he just kept a little pile of twigs, and larger pieces of dried wood he could see close by, and kept feeding the fire.

After, what seemed like a candlemark had passed, but in actual fact was only a few minutes Daffydd looked across from the fire to see how the knight fared. There were two ways this could go, one, the knight could gain his movement back after warming through and he could then repay Daffydd's help with absolute disdain, or two, Daffydd could have helped someone in need, and this could lead to good, or maybe, not so bad things. Only time would tell. One thing was for certain, if the knight didn't have matches, then it was also likely that he may not have had much in the way of any rations either. Daffydd took his rucksack, and rummaged around finding some dried beef he had been saving for his meal, it wasn't much but if this was going to be a start, he might try to be friendly, even if it went against his natural instincts.

"So you need something to eat? You didn't mention your name, but you are welcome to share this dried meat. "

He extended his hand meat included to the knight, perhaps he was warm enough to be able to move now, and if so the meat was available.

Old June 30, 2017, 03:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus Navire is a dubious Denizen
Maximus was in his rare form, that was, his draconic form this very brightening. It was his off brightening from work and had decided that it was a good time to simply stretch his tail. Something he rare for he prefer to stay in his human guise.

He soon chanced upon two men in a distance and he wondered if they were friendly. Regardless, he still decided to approach them. He had his trusty sword with him, he had claws and teeth, and the worst case scenario, he could simply teleport home... hopefully it doesn't comes to that.

The dracon walked casually over. "Serale. I noticed the two of you by the fire. You need any help or ..." He suddenly noticed Daffydd offering food to the crouching guy. "Lacking of food are you? That is not unusual. I do have some dried jerky and if you want it, a bit of liquor in my waterskin."

He would give the food and pass the waterskin if he was asked. The liquor within the waterskin was strong, tasted very much like moonshine. In winter, Maximus took some of his moonshine, froze it in the snow and poured the unfrozen liquid into his waterskin. It was definitely strong.
Maximus Navire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hero

Daffydd noticed the new individual before he go too close. Again he was wary of newcomers, but as this new guy came closer he seemed to be reasonable. That being said, that could just be a ruse, so he kept his guard ready. The knight was either still coming round for being so cold, or was just plain taking a while to respond.
The new guy offered the knight food as well, but also offered something even more interesting. Daffydd has water himself, but the idea of something a little more warming, for all.
"After the knight has finished I will partake of you skin there, thanks for the offer. How comes you're around these parts? not many others have crossed paths with us here. I'm Daffydd by the way. Daffydd didn't extend his hand but just nodded his acceptance of the newcomer to the fire.

Old July 1, 2017, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus nodded at Daffyyd and did not hesitate to pass the jerky and the wineskin to the pair. "Maximus here. What is wrong with him? I hope its nothing contagious."

The dracon was not being mean, but he had seen a human contagion before... even though it did not affect dracon... it was nasty to look at. It did not look like Blacken was sick, so he shrugged and continued speaking to Daffydd. "But I think he's just cold. Much like those those I see in my stint soldiering. Forgetting to set up camp, thinking the warm weather would hold through the dark, and this happened. He should drink a little of that in the wineskin and maybe move closer to the fire."
Old July 2, 2017, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

I am apparently the worst secret agent man in the history of the profession.

Despite the cold, Blacken's cheek blushed from the shame.

Despite his black clothing, despite his inability to light a fire, and despite the fact that it was NIGHT - by all the gods of the underworld! - these two rather harmless-looking peasants had found him out between the trees and hillocks. - His old master, the thief Lone, would have sent him back to train with the beginners class.

The obvious embarassment brought back his life spirits, though, which maybe had just what he needed:

He lowered the still-sheathed sword, and got to his feet. A tired smile involuntarily hushed over his half-frozen face; if these two had been bearing him any ill will, they would have killed him. Easily.

"Serale, strangers! I'm Sir Blacken of Khemit. I fought for House Osteyricjh during the Great War. Yet, so, it seems I am unable to start this bug-damned fire! If you can help me out, I promise to share what is left of my supplies with you. Some company, and some good tale along the way!"

Blacken had to take a step back, and coughed bitterly. He felt a bit wobbly, maybe he had caught a cold, even, during his ill-fated journey into the cold night.

"I am traveling for Estelgorod. - You?"

Oh, and of course, Blacken would accept the wine, if offered. Of course, and with visible pleasure!
Old July 2, 2017, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

Daffydd smiled as the knight before him came around, perhaps the fire had done the trick, or more likely the offer of the liqueur brought the knight to life. The introductions were now in full swing so Daffydd thought it was time offer his credentials, just as the knight had done.
" I was out exploring this countryside area. I am studying at the university for arcane practise, in Aelyria Prime. I also work part time, tending the graves at a local cemetery. I don't know if it was blind luck, or if the gods wanted us to meet but you were on my route through this area, and so here we are. "

Daffydd kept his subject of study mysterious, as some would balk at the fact that he was studying necromancy. He wasn't ashamed of it, it's just some people were against such practise, and didn't need to change the level of trust that was this starting point.

Old July 3, 2017, 05:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Famous

Maximus grinned and gave his wineskin to Blacken. "I hail from Nexus and this brightening happened to be my rest time. I was simply walking around, stretching my legs and breathing in the fresh air of nature."

"So Sir Blacken of Khemit, what made you travel through the night without shelter and how can we help?"
Old July 4, 2017, 04:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

Blacken stretched, took the wineskin, drank --- and, in response to the man from Nexus, simply shrugged:

"Bravery."

If we want to do some adventuring over the coming weeks, should I ask for a Mod now? - Like, it might take a while until we find one.

Blacken removed his hood that, half-frozen, had stuck to his damp hair.

"A promenader and an apprentice magician who just so happens to work at any necromancer's fantasy playground."

He laughed, hoarsely.

"I doubt it was the Gods - or, rather, the Gods of Light - that brought you to me, wanderers. - But would we even mind, I wonder? - I travel East, to reunite with my former liege, the disgraced princeling, Alexis. If you choose to accompany me, I promise riches. ...And some chance to test your arts."
Old July 4, 2017, 05:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Famous

Bravery... Maximus snorted at the idea of the word.

His mother was brave, find the time to keep him safe during an attack of his childhood home, only to be killed in her prime.

His foster father was brave, fighting in and around Port Alyx against the random bandits and the xets, keeping Maximus out of harm's way, but ended up being killed in his prime.

He was brave... once... protecting his friends from a bully, only to end up with a bloody nose and his friends laughing at his foolishness.

... Bravery...

Maximus folded his arms and...

... turned his head towards the readers. I think it is a good idea to get a Mod now...

... started laughing with Blacken the Knight. "It does sound like the start of a crude joke, no?"

"I am always up to tasks that promise riches. How long would your journey to your liege be? I have asked for two brightening of absences from work, but I have suggested that I may need up to five or nine. I doubt my employer would like me to disappear any longer." Maximus asked. "Worry not about my return time from anywhere within the Empire. I have a favour that I could redeem. It would allow me to return to Nexus within a brightening."
Old July 5, 2017, 01:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

Daffydd listened to the comments by the two. Riches? When it came down to it coin was just a necessity to help survive. But the chance to gain knowledge, or use the arts he had already learned, these were things that he was interested in. If coin came his way he would not refuse though.

Daffydd took a bite of some of his rations, The darknening was turning into an interesting one. He hadn't expected to meet anyone and yet here they were a mixed up group, skilled at? Daffydd didn't know, but then again if they were to fall upon a problem, there would be a way to learn, to try, possibly to die. There was no fear of death, for that was a race that, no matter what, any being was running, just some got there sooner than others. His thoughts were moody for some reason, but Daffydd kept them to himself. He was still wary for he didn't reall know these others. Perhap, from his viewpoint though, sometimes the best could be brought forward from those that would not normally mix.

Still the darkening was in its infancy, the candlemarks were available for chat or adventure of sorts. It really depended upon the godsif a Mod would like to jump in and take us on a riot, or a casual stroll, then let the fun begin as to how the candlemarks progressed.

Daffydd was ready if anything was to happen "So what should we do next? It would seem a little cliche, I suppose, but the odd scary tale around the camp fire might be fun, at least could pass a candlemark or two?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: