Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > United Arium Directorate

Old September 29, 2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Rhystlin
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
[Nexus Prime] My Eyes are Open Now (Private)

Summer Era XXIII

Memories of midsummer trips to the market left the half elf in a bittersweet reverie as she trekked through the city streets. Nexus Prime had always been painted in happy memories, a landscape draped with the wafting smells of artisan breads, the murmurs of conversation melting one into the other, children squealing happily as they dipped through the crowds of wandering tourists gazing out at the mountains beyond.

It was strange how those memories, so carefully stored in their brightest luster, could fade so quickly as one's perspective began to change. How, as she sought out those in particular who did not see the picture as brightly as she, those memories began to crinkle and become worn around the edges. She could see what she had never seen as a twiggy-legged, doe-eyed girl with dirty knees - the parents who had lost their children to kidnappers, the shopkeepers extorted by local gangs, the beggars displaced by the destruction rained down by the xet invasion.

No... as a girl she had seen the mountains high, the prestigious colors worn by the nobility, the glorious rainbow towers with their magics being woven deep within. She had not seen the other things at all.

It was no wonder that she, as a child wide-eyed and agape with awe at the world, could not comprehend the weary look in her father's eyes even as he gazed upon the very same wonders. Now, having seen the fading eyes and smelled the stench of death, having now noticed the suffering she had made it her duty to swiftly change, that weary look had grown alongside the child, settling into her bones.

Gloved fingers rubbed at a piece of wood within her hand, the unfortunate victim of nervous etching with a pocket knife. She was not the woodworker her father was, but she had adopted his habits of whittling, rather than continue to bite her lip when she was deep in anxious thought. It was strange how changing the world had become such a large concern for her, how somehow her heart had declared that this was her dying duty. Was it because she felt she could? Or had she wronged the world so deeply with her mistakes that she felt it necessary to live her brightenings in servitude to the guilt?

She looked up, realizing that she should have been nearing her destination by now. Any soup kitchen or homeless shelter would do, and she had planned to stop at however many had been housed in the city proper. She didn't know if much would come of it, but she was wont to try.

She sighed and then entered the building, pocketing her abstract figurine into a belt settled at her waist. She was in leather armor, light and simple, hair relatively loose save for a braid or two. Informal but demanding some form of respect, she had hoped, for those she was seeking to speak with.

Only time would tell if her hopes held weight.

Last edited by Rhystlin; September 29, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Rhystlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Nimh
Rattttt

Nimh has disabled reputation
In the more downtrodden parts of the city, that's where a dappling of places that acted as 'sanctuaries' for the homeless had sprung up. Largely these were abandoned or broken structures that the poor and the vagrant had come to occupy, forming a loose band of people that weren't quite associated with one another. As such, there were no signs to direct Rhystlin that one building or another stood for one thing or another. Most did their best to avoid the poor, the filthy, the diseased, the downtrodden but there were those who had dedicated themselves to the care for the poor.

A pair of Cardonolet priests were in evidence as Rhystlin walked the streets. They were making no attempts to conceal themselves or their motives as they meandered along. One of them pulled a rickety push cart behind them, large ceramic covered pots and wooden boxes secured within it. They were pausing at each pathetic individual as they moved, handing out stale bread and small cups of what was likely a terribly watered down broth to wash it down with. The pair wore stained white robes belted about the waist with a thick, battered leather belt to which were secured several large leather pouches. The emblem of their order was emblazoned upon the chest: a triangle threaded with gold and a blue teardrop dripping from the top into the center of the pointed shape. They were both human, one a middle-aged man with a greatly receding widow's peak, his graying brown hair otherwise kept closely trimmed, the other a young man with long black hair neatly braided and bound up into a club at the nap of his neck.

They stopped alongside of a youthful man with lank, dirty hair and a worn clothing. He gripped a crutch and had his leg extended for the youngest of the two disciples knelt down to peel the bandages off and lay a fresh poultice, while the eldest stood back and said a prayer to banish the woes of war and the wounds they brought with them.

"Maybe next time you'll kill the Xet, huh?" A woman with solid, broad shoulders jostled Crutchy's shoulder, grinning a smile that lacked some teeth and boasted a few rotten others. Her gray-threaded red hair hung disheveled around a scarred face. "No one's gonna want to hire a gimp."

Crunchy winced as the fresh poultice burned his skin. "No one's going to hire an old hag who won't shut up," he snapped, agitated.

"By the grace of Ioannes, may you never have to fight again, my children." The older priest made the sign of Ioannes before his chest.

"If you gave yourself time to rest, this would be healed by now..." the younger priest murmured, shaking his head. "The festering should ease by the end of the cycle, if we keep up with the bandaging. Don't make me have to hunt you down tomorrow or you may well be a gimp."

"Brother Agris means to say that the healing grace of Ioannes cannot enter through you if you do not submit yourself to treatment as requested." The elder was more temperate, it seemed. He passed a bowl of broth and some bread to the older woman. "Be here again tomorrow. We will continue to pray for you." They bobbed their heads and continued to move onwards.

There were many poor to treat and feed along the road and all of them, it seemed, had come out with hands extended. A variety of them were apparent: young, old, families, loners, scarred, dirty, battered...
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Rhystlin
Hero

Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
Rhystlin had seen the priest types before. If only their hopes for no more fighting could be an attainable goal, but now more than ever she knew there was no point for such hopes. Still, her heart ached at the sight of what others had sacrificed to protect and to serve, at how those few who were capable and willing to do so had so much suffering to undertake as a result of it. And here they were, cared for only by the priests willing to step near them, abandoned by all the rest.

She frowned. This was not the state she would have liked to see veterans in. She had expected it, surely - had known just by the nature of the places she was looking. But to be in the face with the reality, well.... It was a lot to take in.

As the priests faded from view, the half elf inched her way closer to the pair, taking in the sight of the others around her. If only she had coin for all of them, but she knew better than to flash the glint of anything in the midst of such wanting masses, even for a few.

"I've never been much for resting either," she said with a light smile, pausing nearby without attempting to stifle what little space they had. In the meantime she eyed the stature of the red-haired woman, and tried to gauge the state of the other's wound. The woman was not unfit for work, at least by the looks of her. The man, however, seemed to be in a sorry state - and by the sounds of the previous conversation, had not been healing adequately. Still, she continued, "No luck finding work, I take it? I would direct you to the guilds needing labor just outside of the city, but..."

She cast a sympathetic glance in the young man's direction, wishing she knew more in terms of healing. Perhaps Jerik would have some luck with him, but what her medic could do that the priests could not, she couldn't really be sure.

Still, it was something to consider. She regretted not bringing him along.
Old November 14, 2016, 09:52 AM   #4
Nimh
Rattttt

Cautious eyes tipped a look up towards Rhystlin as she meandered into their space, talked to them rather than moved past them, avoiding eye-contact. The young man's left leg was bound with bandage from calf to thigh, a little damp in the center from where the fresh poultice had been laid. He leaned into his crutch, supporting his weight on the left side, trying not to show his discomfort with a wince. The shape of his leg looked normal beneath the bandages, not mangled, not disfigured.

"But what?" Crutchy demanded with a narrowing of his eyes, his mouth tightening at the corners, daring Rhystlin just to say it.

The redhead smirked. "But they won't take a gimp." She snorted laughter as Crutchy turned his glare her way. But there was a rawness in that glare, a sort of helplessness. seeping into the edges of his agitation. This is not what he had wanted in his life. This was a man who fought, not suffered. Aside from the wound, he was a bit smaller than the woman with well-developed shoulders. His brown hair was long, untidily drawn away from his face into a haphazard tail down his back. He had a scar on his cheek from another wound, this one having healed without complication.

"I'm not gonna lose it. It's getting better," he grumbled, skin paling a little. There was the fear, the truth behind the anger and the worry. Fear that he'd lose a leg.

"Good as new, I'm sure," she fired back lightly, grinning broadly. The sort of woman who was determined to tease a good friend, to make light of something that really wasn't very funny at all...trying to oddly buoy his spirits?

The woman turned her attention to look Rhystlin over better. Like Rhystlin, this woman was dressed in leathers...but where Rhystlin's were well-kept and oiled, this woman's were worn and frayed, lacking the sheen of someone who took good care of what had been armor once protecting her. "Come down this way to gloat, did you?"
Old December 11, 2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Rhystlin
Hero

It was not surprising that she was met with suspicion. She had expected as much, but it was uncomfortable all the same. Still, she offered the man a tight-lipped smile when he challenged her to complete her sentence. She knew that he was well aware what she was alluding to, and to answer his question would only tempt his need for anger.

Not that he didn't have a reason for it. But sympathy was likely less welcome than an answer to his problems.

Her brow softened when she directed her gaze instead towards the redhead. This one reminded her of Freydis, maybe even Ylva, and this threatened to warm her to the woman almost instantly. The redhead's attempts at easing her companion's fears was commendable, a good trait that worked well in a unit.

"I suppose it would seem that way, wouldn't it?" Rhystlin responded sadly to the woman, knowing the defensive tone came from the experience of having to withstand said gloating. "But no, I assure you that's far from my intention. I am, in fact, here to inquire about your experience. If you are still looking for work, I'd be happy to make you a deal. A meal for an interview. If you aren't, then I'll move along. Simple as that."

She gestured towards the path amidst the rest of the unfortunate souls beyond, ready to continue along it if the two found her offer unwelcome.
Old December 21, 2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Nimh
Rattttt

There was a heavy silence in response to Rhystlin's offer.

Crutchy looked down at his leg, then slanted a look up towards the half-elf. His body language was defeated--his arms pressed forward against his knees, his back arched in surrender. He ran a hand through his hair and looked away again from the mercenary, huffing out a small sigh as he shook his head. Not towards her but the situation--although this might not have been terribly clear to Rhystlin.

The woman drew in a breath and straightened, patting Crutchy on the back stoutly. "Have a lot of positions open for the gimpy, do you?" She made a small gesture, meant to placate Rhystlin into quiet so she could continue speaking. "I can work but it seems sort of cruel, offering him work when he can barely get around. Are you joking with us? Or is it that you feel so bad and you have the money to toss around, why not let a cripple on the payroll?"

The "cripple" in question rubbed his leg, face flushed red. He didn't look at either woman but his posture was stiff, ashamed. A flash of anger on his face. He didn't like hearing what the other woman had to say, not one bit. "It's getting better. I'll be able to work."
Old January 1, 2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Rhystlin
Hero

Brown eyes shifted back to the man's leg as it was, once again, called into question. "I could not pay you for work you can't perform, no," she said in earnest. The woman, after all, was blunt - and simple courtesy dictated that Rhys be forthright with them in return. "And I am not offering him work right away. But, the fact that either of you fought the xet at all is why I'm here. I'm looking for people with conviction. I will not lie; I had hoped that by offering you basic care and food, it would predispose you to my ideals... that perhaps it would drive you to consider, when you are well again, whether you'd like to contribute to our efforts to help maintain whatever way of life you helped to fight for. Even if you aren't fit to fight again, perhaps you would consider somehow helping with the efforts to restore and rebuild some of the towns in Arium, or with lending your knowledge to those who are able to fight."

She frowned at the thought of the bandits that continued to plague the roads, at the chaos that had swolen in the wake of the invasion and how much there was left to do. People still lived in fear and the xet could always return again. It was not the time to sit and lick wounds and move on with life as it was before. It was the time to rise up, to patch things, to grow stronger than before. She needed the people capable of doing that, the people capable of building a stronger tomorrow. Even this man, injured as he was, had some potential to contribute to that, if he wanted. He certainly seemed to want it. And that was something she could not train. If he had a hope of getting better, of joining her cause, then her efforts might well be worth something.

"I had wanted to make my offer to veterans, of all people. The displacement you've experienced as a result of your efforts is sobering. I had hoped to offer you a chance to make this province your home, something it should already be, given your efforts to save it. I don't say that to grovel, I say it because I believe it."

Of course, she was taking a gamble. Perhaps he would not heal, and perhaps he wasn't even that great of a combatant. But the gods knew that Rhys could be an unreasonable idealist sometimes, and she couldn't deny that she was hoping they could both benefit from this gesture of goodwill.

Perhaps it would turn out that she didn't have the eye for talent as her commander did. She would try not to make a habit of rehabilitating and hiring only the wounded and crippled veterans she could find, as much as she wished she could do so.

"I have a medic who can take a look at your injury, and a place you can rest as it heals. It's warm, at least, if not filled with crass humor and occasional complaining. Consider it, at least," she said at last. "If it doesn't appeal to you, well... I can admit that my instincts don't always steer me in the right direction."

Last edited by Rhystlin; January 1, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old January 8, 2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Nimh
Rattttt

"Hire on with someone whose instincts steer 'em wrong?" The question, spoken in a sly manner, was accompanied nonetheless with a bit of a humor-filled smirk. She rolled her eyes, arms tight against her chest as she rocked back, rolled a little in her seated stance. Her look settled on the crutched man and his eyes settled on her.

They shared a look.

Finally, the redhead cleared her throat, gave a shrug of her shoulders. A look said a lot but not everything. "We'll talk about it." Then she leaned forward, unfolded her arms, stuck a hand out. "I'm Shannon. This here's Trey. An interview for a meal, you said? Where d' we meet you, if we decide we're interested?" Still there was wariness between the two of them. Rhystlin had sold some high words, certainly, but the two before her were grounded fairly heavily in the reality of their lives. They were skeptical, it seemed.

Around them, there were others watching with curiosity--a mix of interest, some wariness, uncertainty...speculation. No one wandered close, though.
Old January 25, 2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Rhystlin
Hero

Rhys shrugged at the remark, knowing all too well that she over-admitted to her failings. She liked to think they kept her grounded, approachable. Not everyone was perfect all of the time. Still the woman's humored remark bit into her more than she expected. She had made some mistakes in the past she had paid for. The doubt of her own position as a leader was felt so keenly in that moment.

She swept it aside by taking the woman's hand and giving it a firm shake. She bobbed her head at the introductions, returning them with a simple "Rhystlin Farsteel." As for where to meet, she considered. Best not to force them too far.

"I stay at the Lingerer's Inn quite a bit when I'm in town. I'll be there all cycle if you feel like taking me up on the meal. If you don't see me when you enter, just give the barkeep my name. He's used to my meetings there."

She looked around, noticing the eyes on her. She sighed, almost willing to give in to the fleeting but powerful sensation of defeat on their behalf. She might have been wrong to think she was doing these people a favor, spewing idealist hogwash in their direction hoping they who spring to a cause. Regardless of what the governor had done for the province's recovery, the willingness to do what they could to help had likely been beaten out of them long ago. She could not blame them for that.

It was a shame that she had not considered that while the experience might be here, the willingness might be wanting.

She would move on if she needed to, seeking out others who seemed able and familiar with a weapon.
Old February 12, 2017, 06:53 PM   #10
Nimh
Rattttt

The two nodded, filing the information away for later use. They just sat there then, watching her, expectant of her moving on. They didn't offer up any other names or suggestions, hoarding the knowledge that she was offering jobs to themselves...for now.

That left Rhystlin free to move on and do as she wanted. If she wished to poke about for others potentially looking for a job, she certainly could. There was no shortage of individuals along that particular roadway, most of them clearly begging and taking advantage of the priesthood that was walking along, offering prayers and healing.

Some were obviously battered, others simply looked scarred in the face, some looked not scarred at all. They were of varying ages too: young, old, middle-aged; the war had touched all in Arium. Men and women, both.

Of note was a rather large lionoid with tawny fur that looked scarred or flea-bitten. There was a distinct lack of a mane and the slant of the eyes and curve of the ears gave the impression of a rather sharp-eyed lioness. Worn burlaps were the garb of course around a still well-muscled chest and a sword was strapped at her waist, which looked well taken care of. She was moving between a few others, offering help or assistance where she saw fit. She seemed to fit...and yet not quiet...a little removed.

A little further down the way was a young weed of a teen with raven black hair drawn back to show a long scar running down the length of his tanned face. He was darker than most mainlanders and had a wide, white smile suggesting a jovial good nature despite the scar that had ruined what had previously been dashing good looks. He spoke with an islander accent, perhaps Ieffreonian in origin...but it could have just as easily been Olympian. He was entertaining a pair of young men with wide hand gestures as he told an animated story.
Old February 20, 2017, 12:43 PM   #11
Rhystlin
Hero

The half elf moved on. Her eyes grazed the figures of those stricken by hardship, her heart sinking at just how many of them there were. She kept her eyes on the lionid and the man telling the story, considering them both quietly for several moments. The lionid seemed willing to help the people around her, which Rhystlin could not help but admire, given the situation the katta surely was in herself. And the boy... obviously had a way with people. She found herself shuffling up to the crowd of young men, trying to tune in to the storyteller's words. Surely she appeared out of place among them, but she hoped that they would ignore her and continue on. She was interested in what the man was saying.

oocSorry, short and crappy, just trying to catch up. :(
Old February 22, 2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Nimh
Rattttt

"You have not seen women until you have been to Eunesia. Beautiful, all of them, and none of them afraid to show skin. On account of it being warm, you know? Not like this place." He shivered, even though it was the middle of summer. "I swear, it's almost cold as ice here, I don't care what you say." He flashed a white grin at his companions, playing to his crowd, his jovial attitude doing more for him than the actual content for his story.

"But as I was saying... The women. Teleiotitia, my friends. Absolutely perfection. If you get a chance to visit Secyclion--and I know a man that can get you there, for the right coin..." There was a groan and a laugh shared between them, given their current circumstances lacking coin. "I'm sure I can get you a deal, my friends." He winked. "But Secyclion, you must see the Karnaball Apo Secyclionia. That is our carnival--lots of drinking, lots of parties, lots of very free women. As I said, teleiotitia, yes?" His hands gestured in the air, shaping out a fairly curvaceous woman for the men to nod and appreciate.

"Two eras ago, I think it was, this one woman we were dancing. Too much to drink, you know. I was struggling to make her keep her clothes on, my friends. She was trying so hard and we were on the beach, all these people around us. I don't mind an audience, of course, but hundreds of people watching is maybe a little much, you know?"

That was maybe when he caught Rhystlin watching and he paused in his storytelling, bouncing her a bright grin, seemingly unashamed of his story. "Yassas, omorfi! I don't think we've seen you around these parts before. Maybe there's something I can help you with?" The two young men with him had also shifted to regard Rhystlin, one of them fairly red in the face with embarrassment, the other clearly assessing the whole of her. At least the Eunesian could keep his eyes where they belonged--her face.
Old February 28, 2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Rhystlin
Hero

Hah. So he was banding people together over the talk of ample bosoms and flowing hair. She couldn't say why she had expected glorious journeys across the seas or dashing vigilantes. No, he was just going on about "perfect" women. The half elf tried not to roll her eyes, even though they danced with some amusement. She couldn't say some of her own men had not gathered for similar conversation.

She waited with her arms crossed as he continued with his story.

At being addressed, however, the half elf looked around, feeling that she couldn't go anywhere and just melt into a crowd. She lifted a hand, waving it dismissively at them, hoping the group's attentions would fall back onto the charismatic teen. She seemed unperturbed by the story itself, despite the one man's blushing, and pointedly ignored the fellow who had made it a point to inspect her figure.

Instead, she turned her attentions on the Eunesian, bobbing a few fingers toward him.

"Sure," she answered casually, tilting her head slightly as she spoke. "Quite an attractive scar you have there. I'd like to hear that story. Have you told it already today?" She could have missed it, after all. Her voice was laced with a genuine curiosity, however, at how such a young-looking man might have acquired that mark of struggle.
Old March 2, 2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Nimh
Rattttt

The Eunesian grinned at Rhystlin and lifted a shoulder at her question. Eyes darted towards his companions who hadn't anything to say about the question one way or another. "Of course, omorfi!" He cleared his throat, shifting his stance--as if this was his 'serious story time' stance, much different clearly from his 'lady parts story time' stance.

"I had heard about the Xet invading the lands south of my island home, where we of course were safe and not bothered by the hordes. I was in the navy at the time, serving on a ship that scouted for people who would trespass on our seas. Or pirates." He flashed a white grin at her. "The days when there were pirates were always good days, omorfi."

He cleared his throat and went on, "So I left Eunesia to come south to Arium, to join the fight! It was in the final push to get them to leave these shores that we came against a squad of their feline slaves. They have great claws, do katta. One sliced me here, nearly took my eye. Over just a little bit more and he would have taken it." The weedy teenager shifted from one foot to another, tossing his head so that his black hair flopped out of his face. For someone so young he sure seemed confident. "A good mark, though. I take it as a mark of honor, to have fought against such wild beasts."
Old March 18, 2017, 01:14 PM   #15
Rhystlin
Hero

A sailor. She wasn't sure if that was much use to her, but perhaps he was not the sort to care whether he was stationed by land or sea. He seemed to have a thirst for adventure. She listened to his story with more interest than she had the last, albeit with a little hesitance to believe it. He was young - and if he had truly survived the xet invasion, he was a lucky, if not promising one.

She nodded her head. "Would you do it again, then? Fight the xet?" He seemed very interested in his stories, but she was digging for the honorable intentions that might be buried there. Perhaps there were none; perhaps he only thirsted for adventure. She wondered if it truly mattered, in the end.

The others though, she wasn't sure if they looked like fighters to her. This teen, though, seemed to have some spunk in him. Perhaps she would wait until his stories had died away and speak with him a little more solemnly on the promise of work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: