Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Principality of Moonstone

Old July 7, 2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Rhystlin
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
[Wilds] Exterminators (Private)

Summer Era XXII

It was not long after having returned from a scouting job outside of Zinn'sunn that the half elf had noticed the call for help clearing out the city. From what she had seen of the city from afar, the task would no doubt be an unforgiving one, fraught with dangers she might not have ever encountered before. Part of her wondered if she was ready for a job like this, but part of her knew that it needed to be done.

And besides, she and Ylva had come here together, and the mercenary stood a bit taller knowing that her companion was there to watch her back. The two of them had also hunted their fair share of "monsters" during the time they had known one another, and she would trust few others with her life.

The mercenary had been unable to hear much back from those who were looking to work under her employ, so she had taken the job and instead put out a notice for a few others to complete the party. She waited in an area near the city gates, close to where the group had met prior to heading towards the Jade Mines some time before.

She was equipped in her usual arsenal, and had prepared a mount a candlemark before. She waited patiently for those who had answered, eager to get moving while ample daylight remained.
Rhystlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Molokai
Adventurer

Molokai is an upstanding Citizen
I'm so fecking far from the sea, Molokai thought to himself. He had gotten to this gods forsaken place by first trudging through some inhospitable woodland. There, at the end of the forest, and at the end of his rope, he had found passage on a small river ship that headed up toward what the minotaur would come to know as the Basin. From there it was up another river, until he finally came a shore just a mile or two from where he now stood.

Looking down over the embankment he saw her standing there, and assumed she was the fool with the fool's errand. To clear out an entire city of what ever creatures and scum might be holding up inside. But who was the bigger fool, the one who led them into that insanity, or the fools that followed?

"I am here." Molokai said simply. His voice was a deep bass, and booming. What else would one expect from a ten and a half foot tall minotaur? He stomped down the small hill, and approached Rhystlin.

"Is this it?"
he asked, hoping there would be others to join them. Otherwise, it was likely a suicide mission...

If you ask me again, I will SHOW you where the beef is!
Molokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Ylva Cherhc
Hero

Ylva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious Superhero
The small Rhagrhnd woman rounded an awkwardly shaped boulder, pulling at her trousers as she glanced between Dragon and the strange-looking creature that had somehow joined the half-elf since Ylva had wandered off to relieve her bladder. "It is like cow but not so much like cow, yes?" Ylva's nose scrunched as she eyed the horned creature, her hands tying up the laces of her trousers. It had spoken. She was fairly certain, anyway, that it had spoken. She could not be entirely sure, having come out right as the rumble of noise escaping it had faded away.

She reached out, taking the reins of her horse from Dragon once she had finished tying up the laces of her trousers, making sure that they were snug around her hips and not prone to slipping any further than was absolutely necessary. "This is one?" she asked the half-elf, giving her pants another tug before smoothing out her shirt and giving a small shake of her head. It served to shift the white strands of her hair out of her face, braids bouncing about her cheeks as she settled herself against the neck of the Trhaksiino-Plainsbred horse that was Trygve. "What is it?"

Ylva, not really intending to be rude, turned to her horse and adjusted the makeshift saddle draped over the white and red horse's back, seeing to its comfort as she prepared for the trip ahead, deeper into the territory Rhystlin had spoken of. The proposal had intrigued the Rharghnd woman, not so much because she enjoyed the unknown (she did) but because she was itching to set her blade to do something other than idle away in her scabbard. Restless, always ready to do something, Ylva had not hesitated to stand at the side of a familiar and comfortable companion.

For her part, the Rhargrhnd woman looked as if she was not entirely comfortable that day. It was warm, summer in the lowlands not entirely to Ylva's liking. Of the necessity for protection, Ylva wore a leather vest over her chest and had ripped the cloth from the sleeves of her blue roughspun shirt, leaving most of her arms bare. Brown leather pants hugged the curve of her hips, the shortsword at her hip and the quiver, made of snow leopard fur, of mixed arrows standing out against the hug of the snug material. The only other apparent weapon was the dagger sheathed at her outer left thigh. Scars knit the skin of her forehead and her cheeks, deliberate markings that only the barbarians of her own tribe knew of.
Old July 8, 2015, 03:29 AM   #4
Shiro Shimizu
Famous

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Shiro Shimizu is a benevolent AdventurerShiro Shimizu is a benevolent Adventurer
On some level, it amused Shiro Shimizu that he was ostensibly working in the employ of the very man he had tried to unseat in front of the gates of Aelyria Prime. It wasn’t intentional, of course; the boy’s travels had simply led him to Ziel Aerca under the rumor that the fat necromancer and the annoying priest-child were some of its residents, and so he’d presumed that they would have a roof and something to eat. Dire circumstances were the only sort that would have ever driven him to seek out their company, after all—but it had to be better than his former accommodations in the ruins of Enamoria.

But that had proven to be nothing more than a lie, it seemed, and the young half-Kemite had taken to wandering the “Free City’s” streets and tossing a few globs of mud in the direction of anything that reminded him of that flouncy girl-man-elf. It wasn’t too much longer before a new rumor found his olive-skinned ears, that that same long-haired flower-wearing fool was offering money and reward for cleaning out some threat somewhere with some people.

It was good enough to pique Shiro’s interest, and so he was here.

The boy stood a half-head shorter than the half-elf and at eye-level with the blonde one—a fact that surprised him and he wore unabashedly on his tanned face. Still, he said nothing as he approached the appointed site, a horse trailing on loose reins behind him and the edges of his hooded cloak fluttering with each step. A brass star-shaped guard and its braided hilt peeked over his shoulder and the clank of steel at each of his hips hinted at more blades, but he wore no visible armor outside of the hardened leather and thick clothing. His hair, a blinding blanched white, was unflinchingly revealed, and his bright green eyes flicked once, then twice, back at the talking cow without the slightest look of shame.

He frowned slightly, the corner of his lips twitching, but he continued to keep to his silence. He stopped in front of Rhystlin and inclined his head ever so slightly, then slipped around the side of his mount and pretended to busy himself with its saddle strap.

[CIR] [SOF]

Shiro Shimizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
And so they assembled.

The only thing being provided for them was a goal: clear Zinn'Sunn of whatever the problem was. Anything else, well, that was up to them.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Rhystlin
Hero

Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
The half elf gave the large minotaur a small smile in response to his question, which was prompty answered by Ylva making her presence known. She offered the barbari the reins to her horse, turning her gaze back to the minotaur in what appeared to be an unapologetic manner. In truth, she was accustomed to Ylva's way of speech, her nonchalant demeanor... knew that the Ragrhnd meant little offense... most of the time. By now she had to think twice to realize the small woman might be offending those listening to her way of speech.

"He's not a cow," Rhystlin murmured to her friend. The minotaur's size was not foreign to her; she had met a few giants in her day. Still, she had never met a minotaur specifically and his race was something she did not understand.

"Perhaps he would be willing to tell you?" she offered aloud with a grin, knowing that she might only look the fool attempting to explain a people she knew very little about. In the meantime she checked the integrity of her saddle and made sure her supplies were in order.

As the last figure arrived, she returned his nod, surprised at his apparent age but knowing better than to question the abilities he might have to offer. He would be the last one they had been waiting on, though, so she'd finish up with what she was doing and turn to address the others.

"My name is Rhystlin Farsteel," the young mercenary announced. "The last time Ylva and I passed near Zinn'sunn we encountered Xetan thralls, so hopefully you're aware of the dangers we might face and are prepared accordingly. If anyone has any strategic suggestions before we head out, I'd be open to discussing them. If not, and everyone's ready, we should head out."

She swung up onto her horse as she waited for the others to make any introductions or suggestions. Should there be nothing to discuss, they'd exit the gates toward Zinn'sunn. If they made it so far as the city, they'd likely have time to discuss methods of entering and clearing the city then as well.
Old July 9, 2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Molokai
Adventurer

Molokai gave the barbari woman a menacing glance. Then suddenly he put his hand to his crotch.

"I'd prove it, girl, but I'd likely knock you over with it."
he said, then spat in disgust. While he watched the pair about the horses, he caught sight of the stranger who had also joined them.

We're dead, he thought to himself. The minotaur grunted in displeasure, then turned to look toward the abandoned city.

"I am Molokai." he offered flatly. Molokai had no ride. There were few animals in the empire that could hold him. The beast then simply turned from the lot, and prepared to head out.

"Rhystlin, my Hammer thirsts for blood. Lead on."

Old July 9, 2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Shiro Shimizu
Famous

Shiro Shimizu is a benevolent AdventurerShiro Shimizu is a benevolent Adventurer
There were more than a few questioning looks tossed in the hairy horns’ way as Shiro saw to readjusting his mount’s tack, but he offered nothing that could even be mistaken for a greeting. There was curiosity, certainly, and the expression was painted over with a rather thick helping of disgust, but the soured, hardened look on his tanned face never once flinched or softened. How did it breathe? How did it eat? Shiro couldn’t make out anything that looked even remotely normal underneath its layers of stinking hair. At least he should be thankful it wasn’t wet; then the already-rotted stench would be even worse.

His frown twitched again. He tapped a hand against his eyes, wishing it was just that easy to wipe away the ugly mug that his mind was now seared with, and moved off to the horse’s side. One heavy pull had the diminutive boy up on its back and straddled across it, blades clinking with agreement. A few tugs on the reins and some nudging with his thighs brought the animal off to the front of their small group and urged it on, walking slowly down the path toward Zinn’Sunn even while Rhystlin was trying to make introductions and plans.

It wasn’t like either of those things really interested Shiro Shimizu anyway.

Onward they plodded across the landscape of desertion, and still Shiro kept to his silence and said not a thing. His gaze moved from horizon to the shadows nearby to each of his companions in turn, alert for danger both in and outward. But any attempts to drag him into conversation would continue to be futile, as the boy ignored all of them and simply led his mount onward toward the city gates.

And that included questions, and plans, and suggestions, and whatever other nonsense that idiot girl kept chattering about. She talked nearly as much as Iori, though at least she wasn’t half as annoying—yet.

[CIR] [SOF]

Old July 9, 2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Ylva Cherhc
Hero

Ylva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious SuperheroYlva Cherhc is a glorious Superhero
"Not a cow." The words came out slowly and the look she sent the beast was doubtful. A bull maybe? What other words did the lowlanders have the things they eventually slaughtered and ate? At any rate, Ylva certainly knew who they'd all be killing if somehow they ran out of food and needed a source. It looked like cow. Likely it tasted like cow.

Ylva made a small noise of mutual revulsion at the cow-creature's words. She wanted to suggest he keep it for the other cows but she bit her tongue with a look towards Dragon that suggested Ylva was doing her best to be polite, sorry about that. How was she to know there were walking, talking cow-people? She'd never seen one before...!

"Not two for many words, yes?" she remarked quietly to her friend, a wide grin splitting her lips as she climbed up into the saddle of the Plainsbred-Trhaksiino horse, its red-dappled white hair twitching as she did. "This will be good ride, yes? Such good company." She winked at Dragon and joined in on ambling on towards the city ahead of them.

For Ylva's part, she already knew her strategy. Get in, check out the place, see what the problem was...and don't get killed.
Old July 10, 2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
The trip towards Zinn'Sunn itself was rather uneventful. Word had spread of the presence of the perils that lay in that area, and most people were quite happy to avoid it completely. Those who hung around that area tended not to come back anyway, so it was a problem that solved itself, for the most part. No bandits or brigands or anything of the sort to delay their approach to the once-city.

They could tell when they were approaching the Pit of Zinn from the swirling plumes of black smog that seemed to be roiling off of it into the sky above. The black fog that had once covered the entirety of both Lauryl and Arakmat had mostly faded away, but its density caused it to sink, and considering that there was a giant hole in the ground where Zinn'Sunn had once been, well, it wasn't surprising to find that the black fog still existed there. Still, it was nowhere near as thick as it had once been. Venturing into it would still be dangerous, but it was certainly survivable.

Soon enough they were getting close to the Pit to actually see it. Reports had come back that the place was crawling with Xet, so perhaps just charging in wouldn't be a good idea. Game plan time?

Old July 11, 2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Rhystlin
Hero

The trip was uneventful and somewhat quiet, save for Ylva's friendly bantering. Given the white-haired lad's penchant for silence, the half elf could not help but wonder if he would be open to discussing their plans for infiltrating Zinn'sunn. She frowned, hoping he wouldn't decide to run off on his own, but outsourcing the team was the best she could have done under the circumstances. Hopefully such a decision wouldn't be the death of her and the others. At least the minotaur seemed to thirst for the opportunity to get something done.

Although she didn't consider herself the leader of this group so much as the one who had simply gathered them together, she figured it was as good a time as any to initiate some discussion on their plans as the city came into sight. She reigned in her horse and dismounted, gazing at the blackened crater beyond. There was no telling what was waiting for them in that smoking pit, and they would probably not be able to take their mounts with them. Given that there were only four of them, they'd also need to be smart about their approach - otherwise this would surely become a suicide foray.

She glanced over at the minotaur, seriously doubting their capability of stealth so long as he was stomping about.

"What do you think about one or two of us scouting ahead?" she asked Ylva. "I had hoped we could use some of the ruins to our advantage, maybe have Molokai dislodge some of the rubble, but it looks like there's nothing left but a hole." She sighed. "Still, we'll need to determine what our advantages are, what we're up against... and whether we might be able to draw them out. Traps might be an option if we can find the means to set them."

Her eyes shifted to the others, hoping they had particular skills to present that might benefit the group in such a delicate situation. Did they have experience with the things they might encounter? And if they did, would they even say so?

She supposed she'd find out soon enough.

Secrets :

Last edited by Rhystlin; July 11, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old July 11, 2015, 05:52 PM   #12
Shiro Shimizu
Famous

Too much talking.

He had managed to avoid the entire thing for their trip to the border of what had used to be the city of Zinn'Sunn, and Shiro was still less than inclined to start it again now. Instead, at the sight of the dense black fog he merely frowned and jumped down in one heavy thud from his horse. He remembered, of course, what had happened the last time he had tried to venture into the same darkness, chasing a few of his loosely-named "companions" to a deserted ziggurat. And he remembered what changes had been done in him as a result.

That had been a mistake. For a second he felt the points of his teeth laying pressure on his lips and bringing blood to their surface. His hand clenched, and he hated it--memory, himself, and everything in between.

So lost was he in his own past that Shiro didn't even notice that the girl was talking again. Instead he wheeled fast on his heel and, with one quick, even motion had a dagger out and slicing through the leather straps that held the supply bags to his horse's sides. Once relieved, the boy pointed the animal in the direction of the worst of the blackness and then slapped it hard on the rump, sending it flying and lurching forward.

He turned a quick look in the two women's direction and shrugged, then began bounding in after the horse some good distance back. His hand was over his shoulder and removing sword from sheathe already as he darted looks from one side to forward to behind to another, watching, roving.

Waiting around never solved anything.

[CIR] [SOF]

Old July 11, 2015, 06:45 PM   #13
Molokai
Adventurer

The heat was unbearable. Molokai didn't know if it was the time of year, the area of the gods forsaken realm they were in, or both. Eventually they slowed, allowing the jogging minotaur to slacken to a walk. As he wiped his brow, and looked over at the black mist, the young woman began to talk about plans again.

Molokai was not a planner. He was muscle, he was anger, he was vengeance in bull form. He swung his weapon, and tried to destroy all that stood in the way. He was not a planner. So when Rhystlin made her suggestion, Molokai merely nodded, and waited for those who were the scouts to leave. He was content to wait.

He did not like part of her plan all that well. The idea of destroying rubble, while a good distraction, was not the best thing to do until they returned. If his hammering made enough noise he would certainly draw out opponents when they were separated, and that would not be good.

"I will wait until you return."
he said simply. Then, unfortunately, the odd fellow with long eye teeth cut his horse loose and sent it into the pit of fog.

"Feckin' Fool."
The minotaur said in a graveled whisper. He then watched the fellow follow his ride into the black death...

And then there were three
, he thought to himself, as he turned to look at Rhystlin and the barbari woman.

"What now?"
he asked.

Old July 13, 2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Ylva Cherhc
Hero

Ylva surveyed the landscape with uncertainty. A great big pit fluttering with smoke. She remembered it, the fog. It had, for a time, separated her from the higher peaks of the mountain where her family was. She was seeing it again now and was decidedly very wary about approaching.

Yet Ylva had never been a coward. She had never held herself back.

Apparently neither had one of the others in the group.

The mountain woman started as the bags were cut and the horse was slapped...as the boy ran off. Not a planner. She didn't blame him. Ylva was itchy to get into the pit, to take a peek around. The Rhagrhnd turned towards Dragon, lifting a shoulder. "It is maybe we will find thing for trap, for idea, the closer we go, hm? Maybe it is not best for one to go this way, the other way way. I think we go close, go to the edge, walk the edge. We cannot know what to do until we see, yes?"

She kept to her horse and advanced towards the pit that was Zinn'Sunn.
Old July 13, 2015, 03:57 PM   #15
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Shiro

He went forward, dashing right into a patch of fog that obscured his vision. The air around him was stale and dead, but survivable. Shiro could breathe it. The fog was not so dense as to be fatal. There was a distinct lack of Xet anywhere around him, although the fog did rather limit his vision. As it was, he managed to reach the very edge of the pit without any difficulty. Peering down into it, well, it seemed like a sheer drop down into the darkness, fog vapors billowing up from whatever was down there.

Jump? JUST DO IT-no wait there were thin paths carved into the side of the pit. A perilous journey downwards, certainly, but still probably a better alternative to jumping. Shiro could descend down them if he wished it, but it would have to be on foot, as the horse was too wide to fit upon the paths.

Rhystlin/Molokai/Ylva

Well! It probably wasn't all that surprising that the group of four had become a group of three. Potentially two, if the others decided not to follow Ylva as she spurred her horse onwards (albeit perhaps more cautiously and slower than Shiro had). Rhystlin and Molokai could, of course, just sit around and hash out a better plan if they wanted.

Splitting up was always the best plan.

Ylva, at the very least, slowly approached the massive pit. Despite the reports that had come in of the Xet presence around the area, thus far she couldn't really see any dangers. In fact, as she got closer to the pit, when Ylva finally managed to see something, it definitely wasn't Xet. An entourage of rather heavily armed and armored humans, Kemites from the look of it, situated right at the edge of the pit. They had a few archers with them, and while some nocked their arrows, none of them were drawn and none were pointed at Ylva.

"You there!" called out a man to Ylva (and potential companions). He was dressed in thick armor, a combination of heavy leather and metal plating. A ridiculous six swords, three on each side, hung from his hips. The helmet upon his head sporting an excessively large crescent moon, and an eyepatch covered his right eye.

"You are not Xet. Identify yourselves!"

Last edited by Indefinite; July 15, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: