Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Principality of Moonstone

Old June 6, 2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
[Ziel Aerca] Taken [Rhystlin, Vireylda]

Era XXII Post Fractum

There were always places for people to go when they wanted a job or errand done, and there were always people who hung around those places waiting for jobs to do so that they could be paid. In one of these places, then, a notice for a job went up.

Can anyone help me? It's been a while since I've heard from my fiancee. Last I saw him, he was bragging about how rich he was about to become, and how he was going to create a better life for the two of us. Whatever he was up to, I bet it got him into trouble. Please, someone, find my fiancee."

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Rhystlin
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
It was typical for Rhys the browse job notice boards when she passed through any city, as her travels often exhausted her savings and required her to take on new jobs whenever possible. The notice boards were often more trustworthy than taking a job from a shifty-eyed figure in the tavern hoping to bypass the city guard. Just the same, the city guard was often stretched too thin to care for every issue that arose, and looking to the notice boards often meant she was able to help someone who had exhausted other options.

The missing persons notice caught her eye, not merely because she was sympathetic to the message, but also because she had not pursued a job like this one before. She pondered for a moment, determining that it would be worthwhile to exercise the skills required to track down a missing person. It would certainly be different than tracking animals in the wild, but people were most typically the subject of bounties and she would benefit from widening her skill base.

For this reason she looked further down, hoping to find a way of contacting the person who had written the note.
Rhystlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Vireylda Saharn is an infamous Villain
It was atypical for Vireylda to be here. She didn't usually have much use for the sign post, with it's wealth of mercenary jobs. Mostly because the majority of them were simple affairs, go kill this, go retrieve that. An ogre could do that, and they were so dim she doubted they could even read the bloody sign. Her intuitive mind sought challenge, excitement!

To the reason that brought her here today? Sheer coincidence. She'd been out on her day off, and had the idea to check the boards. Who knew, maybe they might have something interesting for once? She'd come up behind the woman in front of the board, moving to the side to get a better look. "Missing persons, interesting." She'd murmur, considering the job. "Well this is certainly better than the usual hack and slash they usually tack on the board." Her blue eyes fell on the woman, who appeared to be reading the notice. "I take it you were drawn in by the aberration as well? Not something they normally put up here."

In the pursuit of knowledge, nothing is forbidden.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Voted Best Neutral PC in the Aelyria Awards 2016
Posting status: Catching up (apologies for the delay)
Vireylda Saharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Scrawled upon the notice was the contact information for the woman who had put it up, staying in a tenement building somewhere in Malian Kame.

Old June 9, 2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Rhystlin
Hero

Rhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious SuperheroRhystlin is a glorious Superhero
The mercenary was making note of the contact details when she heard the woman next to her speaking. Her gaze shifted towards the voice, her brows lifting thoughtfully as she processed what had been said.

"Hm? Oh! Yes, I suppose so." She tapped absentmindedly on the hilt of her sword as she considered whether to pursue the job or not. "Seems an interesting change of pace, I think. Were you looking to inquire?"

Rhys didn't typically take jobs alone, so it might be nice to work with another, so long as this woman had applicable skills to offer.

Whatever the case, the mercenary had made up her own mind by now. "Seems I'm headed to Malian Kame," she said, her gaze one of interest as she waited to see if her new acquaintance might come along.
Old June 10, 2015, 12:15 AM   #6
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

While the woman was standing there considering her options, Vree's analytical mind had been categorizing the various things about her into a deductive conclusion. She's wearing armor, and sees comfortable in it. To say that was a understatement, the light armor seemed to be less a piece of clothing, and more a second skin. Her observations of how the woman moved in it revealing the comfort she had, possibly even forgetting it was there.

Well, she couldn't really begin to consider how that felt. Vree didn't wear armor, it was a bit cumborsome for her, at least right now. The ability to flee from a battle was more important to her than being able to survive one. Mostly, because she'd rather live by avoiding a fight, than living through it.

Her thoughts turned to the weapons the woman carried. Dagger, sword. Resting comfortably against the hip, seem to have been there before. Throwing daggers on the thigh. Could mean incredible paranoia, to carry so many weapons, or hardened veteran experieance. From the stance, guessing the latter.

The woman's manner could be described as battle ready. There was an air about her, in a way that made Vree feel like the woman could easily slide from social and charitable to deadly and precise. She made a vow to try not and provoke that. She could probably survive it, but it wouldn't end well.

Her observations had just ended by the time the woman turned around and spoke to her. Vireylda smiled widely. "I am actually. The idea of a contract from here that doesn't involve mindlessly hitting things is absolutely thrilling!" Excitement colored her tone, her voice rising as her fervor grew. Vree coughed after she was done, realizing that might have come off a bit wrong. "Not that mindlessly hitting things is a bad thing, just one that I'm not that interested in partaking in."

Vree had made up her mind a few seconds after she'd learned about the job. THe idea of doing something that required the brain, not the muscles was too much of a lure to ignore. "Looks like I am as well, I don't suppose you'd mind a traveling companion?"

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 10, 2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Rhystlin
Hero

At first the half elf raised a brow at the woman as she mentioned "mindlessly hitting things". It wasn't that she was offended, but rather, was considering what the woman might have expected from a job board that typically attracted mercenary types. The excitement in the woman's tone made Rhystlin wonder if she was "green" to this type of work, and if she might be hopeful of breaking into the field and escaping the drudgery of her home life. Isn't that what Rhystlin had done mere months ago?

But then the woman seemed to be concerned with her choice of words, and when the mercenary realized why the woman was correcting herself, she could not help but laugh.

"I don't blame you," came her response, "The actual act of hitting can become a bit monotonous at times." In actuality, combat was far from a mindless exercise, but she could see where the girl was coming from.

She made a gesture for the woman to come along if it pleased her, turning on her heel and heading in the direction of Malian Kame. She kept her pace deliberate to allow her new companion the opportunity to fall in stride. She considered that if this woman was more of a thinker than a combatant, her mind would be an asset during a job like this one.

"I'm Rhystlin Farsteel, by the way," she offered. "Are you a freelancer then? Or just looking for a bit of extra coin?"
Old June 12, 2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

For her part, Vireylda was in the middle of feeling like a complete idiot. The woman had clearly been some kind of mercenary, she'd figured that out herself before even speaking to the woman. And what do Mercenaries usually do? THEY MINDLESSLY HIT THINGS MOST OF THE TIME. Outwardly, she still appeared to be the same emotional state as she had been earlier, giving no indication of the mental storm ensuing behind her blue eyes.

The laugh stopped it, thankfully. The mental winds losing energy, and slowly calming back down until her mind was quiet again. Vireylda nodded, her thin lips spreading out into a pleasant grin. “It's not so much the hitting I mind. Granted, most of the melee combat I've been in, involved me constantly cursing within the confines of my head as I flailed to avoid getting hit.” She shrugged slightly. “So perhaps I've just not been able to enjoy the appeal, but I tend to lean the other way regardless.” She finished that statement, walking with Rhystlin, and keeping pace before she spoke again, turning to her new companion. “What about you? You seem to be more of a seasoned warrior than myself. Do you consider it mindless?” She pointed at her somewhat frail looking body. “I'm biased in a way, so I'm always looking for new viewpoints.”

At the name, she spoke clearly, a habit she'd never quite broken from her time in the dark elf city. “I'm Vireylda, Vireylda Saharn. So far a pleasure to meet you.” In regards to the other statement, her manner loosened noticeably. “I'm actually just bored to be honest. I don't work today, so I didn't really have anything else to do. The coin is a bonus though.” Nothing else to do other than go through that incredibly long experiment that is going to likely make me exhausted for the next few days, definitely going to be putting that off for a while. I mean, where would I even acquire such a large being? That regardless, she focused back on the conversation. “As I said before, I'm really excited about it. It's different than my normal job as a nurse in the Apothecarion.”

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 14, 2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Reaching the tenement building without too much of an issue, the two of them would have to ascend to about the third floor or so before stopping outside of the apartment of the person who had put up the notice.

Old June 15, 2015, 04:12 PM   #10
Rhystlin
Hero

It seemed the woman had opted to come along. The mercenary listened to what the woman had to share in regards to her preferences of mental rather than physical methods of dealing with a situation, and nodded her head. As combative in nature as the half elf was, she thoroughly respected those who were capable of doing what they needed to do without raising a weapon. There was a need for people like this woman, and Rhys wished she had more of her sort in her company.

The mercenary shrugged slightly at the woman's question. "There are many different ways to approach a situation, I find. If I can avoid the hitting, I will. But sometimes... it's been necessary to defend and to act. The best way I know how is with this." she patted her short sword sheath. "I find that prowess of the mind can be a different sort of thing than prowess in battle. Both take effort, skill, practice. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I think of combat as less of a mindless thing, and more of a thing that exercises a different part of the mind."

When the woman introduced herself and revealed her intentions, the mercenary grew quiet for a moment or two. Interesting to think that Vireylda was taking on a potentially dangerous task out of boredom. She seemed intelligent, though, and for that reason Rhystlin assumed she was aware of the risks this job entailed. She made no effort to patronize the woman by asking about it. She was an adult, after all.

"A nurse, hm? A respectable job. But I can definitely see the need for some variety." she said as they reached the tenement building and ascended the stairs. When they reached the third floor apartment of the woman who had posted the bounty, the half elf knocked on the door.

"So have you been here long?" she asked as they waited. "I'm afraid this is my first time in the city, and I'm hoping you're more familiar with it than I am."
Old June 18, 2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Well that certainly was an interesting way to put it. The shadow elf quieted as she processed her companion's statements. To her chagrin, she couldn't deny that she'd considered mental acuity far superior to actual combat. There was just so much you could do with the mind that you were limited with concerning the physical form. It wasn't any slight against Rhystlin, just what she'd always believed. Could she have been mistaken though? The very thought of that caused her nose to wrinkle, as if in disgust. Incorrect calculations are unacceptable! Her mind screamed it's discontent with the current state of things, but she chose to ignore it.

Instead, she focused on dissecting Rhystlin's statement. Turning it around in her mind, while trying to glean whatever information she could from it. The idea of exercising a different part of the mind was interesting, to say the least. She considered it briefly, thinking back to the mental exercises that she always went through as the day went on. Was it not possible, probable even that physical combat could be compared to that? While she used her ability to think, and come up with complex formula's and experiments, Rhystlin could have been using her knowledge of tactics, of movement and reflexes. Where to hit, how hard to hit. Watching how the variables conflicted with each other, before coming together in a raucous climax of sensory overload.

The realization slammed into her like a charging bull.

My gods, it's just a physical experiment, rather than mental. How could I not see it before!?

Vireylda's blinked rapidly as images swam into her mind, possibilities rolling over themselves to create new, better ones. They glided through her head like a fish in a river, igniting her imagination before finally making their presence known via a large grin on her face. She turned to her companion, excited. “So what you're saying, is that it could be seen as a physical experiment, just with different variables than the mental ones? Using physical force and agility, rather than willpower and thought?” The words spilled forth from her mouth as the excitement of a possible new realization spread through her mind like a wildfire. Her grin widened. “It's interesting how one doesn't realize they believe the same thing just in different sides of the equation.” She put a thin finger on her temple. “Variables, Cause and Effect, Reactions.” Then she pointed to Rhystlin's sword. “Variables, Cause and Effect, Reactions.” Her grin turned sheepish, cheeks aflame as she lowered her voice. “I can't believe I didn't catch that before.”

She had been so interested in figuring out the latter part of the woman's comment, that she realized she'd completely neglected the former. Vireylda took less time to respond to that part, but did so with just as much passion and enthusiasm. “I wish there were more that shared your views.” She sighed, slumping just slightly. “There are so many people in this world that believe that the solution to a problem is on the edge of a blade, or arrow.” She frowned, considering what she'd just said. “Of course, it's true that it's usually the quickest way, but sometimes not the best way.” She cast about for an example, coming up dry. “I can't think of an applicable example right now, but the sentiment is there. It's good to know that there are some that consider all the options, before throwing themselves into a fight.” She didn't say anything about the defending portion, that would trigger memories that she didn't want to think about.

When they reached the door, she shrugged. “It pays the bills, and meeting new people is always enjoyable. Still, only so many times you can set someone's bones before it becomes routine.” As to her question about the city, she shook her head sadly. “Unfortunately, I've not been here long enough to really get out. I don't really to be honest, get out that is. Mostly It's just work and sleep, and some training if I'm lucky.” She laughed self deprecatingly. “Not really the answer you were hoping for, I imagine.” Let's think on the positives. I can still experience everything for the first time, can't I? Vireylda paused at that thought, and then at the one that came afterward. I could invite my new friend here to experience it with me? She didn't know how well that would go. Generally, Vireylda was somewhat awkward when it came to new people. New experiences, new experiments. Weren't you the one who said you were open to new things? She wouldn't let her fear control her, and opened her mouth as Rhystlin knocked on the door. “Once we finish this, we could go tour the town if you like. I figure it would be more enjoyable with another person, than on one's own.” She didn't know if that part was true or not. Well, to be more specific, she didn't know if that part applied to both of them, or it just applied to her. She'd have to wait and see, she supposed.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 20, 2015, 02:34 PM   #12
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Soon enough the door would open, and a relatively young woman stood at the door. "Are you two responding to my notice?" she'd ask, and invited the both of them inside afterwards. It was a very small and cramped place, only a single room in fact. Kitchen, bedroom, everything all rolled up into a single space - and for two people no less. Still, it was all a lot of people in Malian Kame could afford, and there were plenty who couldn't even get something like this.

"It's more or less as the notice said," the young woman said rather quietly. She was just out of her teens, by the look of it. The clothes she had weren't quite rags, but it was obvious that this was not an individual who was well-off. "It's been a few days since I last heard from my fiance, and I just know he's probably gotten into trouble. If you can find him and perhaps help him out of whatever problem he's gotten himself into, I'd be much obliged. There's not really all that much I can offer as a reward but, well, I'll try to scrounge together what I can."

"I think he's been hanging out with one of the gangs as of late. The Fourteen Stars Group? Starting with them might be good."

Old June 23, 2015, 04:08 PM   #13
Rhystlin
Hero

Although the half elf hadn't immediately caught the excitement in her companion's voice, she could sense that the woman seemed to be coming upon some sort of realization. She nodded her head thoughtfully. "Well, yes... I would say so," she affirmed about combat being a physical experiment. "Everything we do is often an experiment whether we realize it or not, isn't it? I mean, we never do everything perfect the first time. But each time we do something imperfectly, we learn and improve until it becomes second nature, and then we move on to more challenging things. In that respect, the body improves just as well as the mind."

She smiled a little when the woman pointed to her blade, speaking about variables, cause and effect, and so on. Although Rhystlin didn't usually associate her actions with such technical terms, what Vireylda spoke of had always seemed like a fact of life, whether one was fighting, cooking, or crafting.

As the woman went on, Rhystlin nodded but remained quiet, choosing to simply observe the woman's voiced opinions and beliefs. It was true that Rhystlin didn't think the way many sellswords she had encountered did. Myach had taught her that the blade was not the only weapon in any given situation, and she was grateful for how many times that advice had saved her life.

She smiled again, noting some similarities in Vireylda's story to her own beginnings. Training, focusing on one's work, an interest in doing something a little more exciting. Although she knew little about the woman next to her, there seemed to be something of a kindred spirit there. For that reason, Rhystlin nodded in acceptance of the invitation extended to her.

"I don't see why not. If time allows, it would be a good idea to explore the city a bit.".

As the door opened and the woman asked about their presence there, the half elf nodded again. She stepped in when they were invited past the door. The place appeared even smaller than the home she and Myach had shared as she was growing up, but it appeared rather typical of the apartments in crowded city spaces.

The information the woman had to offer made Rhystlin wonder if the fiance had been killed or run out of town. It would not be easy to find him if he was in the midst of gang activity.

"Do you know where your fiance typically goes to hang out with this gang, then?" she asked. The woman must have known something to draw her to the conclusion of which group her fiance was mixed up with. "Are familiar with the Fourteen Stars Group at all?"

More sympathetically, her voice softened. "What's your fiance's name?"
Old June 24, 2015, 04:40 PM   #14
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

She'd been nodding to herself as Rhystlin spoke, before she'd said that one word. Perfect. Vireylda's face shifted into a grimace as she considered the word. Though she did wait until her companion was done speaking. “It is, and honestly, perfection is over rated.” She put special emphasis into that word, her grimace darkening as she said it. It was clear this was why Vireylda had reacted the way she had. She continued. “All living things evolve. It's the way of life. They grow, they learn, they live, they die.” She pointed to a bug on the ground, placing her foot above it to make the little creature scurry away from the massive death shadow suddenly threatening it's existence. “Evolution and learning.” She stated again, before moving her foot back. “But when you are perfect, there is no evolution. There is no learning. You are stagnate, you can never move. Up or down, you are immobile.” She smiled as she contiuned talking. “It's why I enjoy my failures just as much as my successes, because that is how one learns. Once perfection is achieved, there is nothing else to learn, and that thought is appalling to me.” She chuckled slightly, in regards to herself and her statement. “Apologies, I can get a little long winded on that subject.” She smiled sheepishly.

She'd fully been expecting Rhystlin to turn her down when she made the offer, but then the woman had surprised her.

She accepted? Well, that's a new one. She hadn't been expecting the woman to agree to tour the city. Generally, Vireylda didn't have many friends. It wasn't that she didn't want them, just that she rarely had the opportunity to make them. The life of research and knowledge didn't allow for much socialization when you were perusing tomes and melting things to see what happened. That aside, now that she'd accepted Vree was thrown somewhat off kilter. She'd have to see what happened in regards to that.

When the door opened, Vree was uncomfortably reminded of her own one room hovel. The one with th fornicating rats. Though, now that she thought about it her new home seemed to suffer from that as well, so maybe it wasn't much of a difference regarding that. On other things though, she had counted herself incredibly fortunate to find that Sliucha was such a generous employer. Her new home suited her far better, rats aside.

So when she stepped inside, she couldn't help herself from examining the room. It was cursory at best, small things adding to the whole about this woman. She was young, and she lived in a small house. Obviously she wasn't well to do on money. So that left her to wonder who provided the income. Was it her? Was it her husband? The the husband was involved with a gang made the picture come into bit more focus. Late on payments, possibly?

She decided to ask.

“This gang you speak of. What was your husbands relationship to them? Does he owe them money?” It was an important question. People generally got somewhat more vicious when currency was involved. Briefly, the fact that she was giving a horrible manner to the woman crossed across her mind ,and she struggled to add some humanity in her factual, deductive tone. “Were you two married long? Happy?”

It wasn't quite there, but it was better than nothing.

She'd consider herself a work in progress.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 25, 2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Indefinite
Foreboden!

"FiancÚ," she clarified, when Vireylda asked how long they had been married. They had been engaged for a few months now, and had known each other for a number of years as well. Their life had been tough, but she had liked to think that they were quite happy with each other. She didn't really know much about what her husband got up to with the Fourteen Stars group, didn't know what his relationship with them was or what money he might have owed them.

He had told her bits and pieces of things; that was how she knew he was hanging out with them. There was a little cafe in town that it seemed he frequented, playing cards and rolling dice with some of the gang members. She didn't know anything else besides that, unfortunately.

"His name is Ned," she'd tell Rhystlin. Human, tall, lanky. Messy black hair, wore a pair of spectacles. A basic description was provided.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: