Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Special Events > Xet Invasion: The Final Battle

Notices

Old October 14, 2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Theldor couldn't find anything that seemed to be an easy way to shut things down. No big flashy buttons, no ostentatious switches, no obvious circuitry to fiddle with. There wasn't anything just lying around, either, that the elementalist might use to smash the machinery.

Luckily, there was Quilantes.

Unlucky, Quilantes was.

On the one hand, it sort of worked. The particular machine that the dark elf decided to plunge his staff into was definitely not working anymore after the fact. On the other hand, Quilantes would suddenly find electricity coursing all throughout his body as the machine discharged the energy that had been running through it. Luckily nobody else had been close enough to be caught in the field, but Quilantes would find that he wouldn't have to speak in the tongue of Vysstichi for just a while longer. Hard to say anything, really, while in the midst of being shocked.

On the plus side, the machine didn't seem to be working anymore, and a section of machinery near it seemed to have powered off as well. But Quilantes had fallen onto the ground unceremoniously, his entire body wracked with pain, burns running along his arms and sides of his torso. Nothing fatal, nothing even particularly serious, but it certainly did hurt quite a bit. Not to mention he wouldn't be able to move at all for a few moments. Lessons were learned.

In the meantime, Silverannia would head towards the exit. Peering through it would reveal that the chamber next to it was filled with machinery and circuits as well, only on a much larger scale. She couldn't even see the wall on the other side, there was too much in the way.

Old October 14, 2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Theldor
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Theldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious Superhero
Theldor instinctively jumped back when he heard the Vysstichi snarling with the evident intention to hit something. The result was even worse than expected: the machine backfired with the power of lightning, sending the surgeon to the floor, prey of terrible pains. Needles to say, there were more efficient ways to destroy that machine, even with magic.

Theldor knelt beside him, unsure if he would have to intervene. "Quill, are you OK?", he whispered. He would not leave the room until he had made sure Quilantes could walk by himself.

Roasted hill rider au chocolat Status: Retired
SoF - House (Arconis)
Old October 14, 2014, 10:49 PM   #18
Quilantes Zil'aven
Hero

Quilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious SuperheroQuilantes Zil'aven is a glorious Superhero
Quill hissed as the electricity coursed through his body, driving him to his knees in an unceremonious thud as his muscles spasmed. Gritting his teeth, he counted himself lucky that he hadn't bitten his own tongue clean off as his jaw tightened to the point of aching. A moment later, and the pain subsided enough for him to notice Theldor staring at him worriedly.
"I'm the healer, you dolt" he snapped, hauling himself back to his feet with the aid of his staff, "Worry about tearing this place down around their heads and I'll keep us alive!"

Turning to Ein, he pointed to the offending machine and glared at them both as though its outburst was somehow their fault.
"The machines are imbued with electricity. Electricity that is constantly being accumulated and stored in preparation for use. We find the stores, channel the power it contains and use it to destroy the station" he snapped, before storming off after Silverianna to see what she had discovered. And all the gods in Aerysia wouldn't be enough to save those who would harm her.

"...You Rank, Gray-Skinned Codpiece! You sniveling, tear-streaked, coattail-grasping, orc-face!
You lumpish, cabbit-brained, daydream bully! You straw-limbed, gutless, sparkle-finger-wavin' Straylor!
-igrainne
(Silly girl, she's just jealous that he's getting more action than her)
Old October 15, 2014, 12:19 AM   #19
Ein'nasar Mythranthil
Hero

Ein'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious Superhero
Ein smirked to Theldor as Quil stormed off to catch off to his ex-apprentice slash maybe-kinda-still-lover person. "Ahh, poor Quil. So nervous in front of his woman. I have to say though, while smashing alien machinery with just a staff is not such a bad idea for showing off in front of your woman, getting electrocuted afterwards kind of bring the opposite effect." He chuckled.

"So it seems that there's a lot of electricity stored in these machines, and if Quil is right then there's a main storage somewhere. Are you able to trace the electricity back to where the biggest concentration is?" Ever since the flux in arcana happened at the start of the season, mages lost the ability to perceive the various essences that makes up the world in Clara.

However, it's not that they lost all ability to perceive essences. They're now capable of interacting with pure essences related to their sphere that is present on the Material Plane, drawing it inside themselves to power their spells. Using the same sense they use to perceive and draw in those essences, could they expand on it to sense the existence of essences of their craft in the surroundings? He wasn't sure, but it looked like it was worth a try.

oocmight need another reply from Theldor?

Character Sheet | Secrets of Foresight
Blue = Spoken Words | Green = Inner Thoughts

Currently preferring Sword XP over Sorcery XP when possible. Also looking for XP for my Minor Magic when applicable.
Old October 15, 2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Silverianna
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Silverianna is a benevolent Adventurer
Hearing what had happened to Quil, Silverianna hid her doupts on the success of this mission behind a falcade of stiocism. She looked over the vast room with it strange metal boxes, tubes, and the spider web of varying thick threads strung all over the place.

She wished she had a mace or a strong club. She moved deeper into the room, keeping the doorway she passed through insight. She tore loose the smaller strands of threads and smashed what tubing she could break. If a lever could be moved, she moved it to a new position. A valve that could be turned, she turned it till it wouldn't move anymore.

Anything small that could be moved, she tore it from it's place and tossed it deeper into the tangle web of the threads and tubings.

She glanced back at the doorway and seeing Quil with his hair sticking straight out, she couldn't help smile at the sight. She looked for the other two.

~~personal thoughts~~
Old October 16, 2014, 12:37 PM   #21
Theldor
Mythic

Theldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious SuperheroTheldor is a glorious Superhero
Theldor opened his mouth as though he were about to reply to Quilnates' words, but suddenly Ein interrupted. The sorcerer was right, all must be said: it was evident that the surgeon was acting in a distinct manner than his usual friendliness. The presence of his girlfriend and the raw disclosure of their relationship had put him in a tense state.

"I'm not sure", he said, "There's no air inside. I can control the air to make lightning, but I'm not sure I can scry through the electricity. However, I can ask this metal thread", he said, pointing (from a safe distance) to the open cable that had almost killed his friend.

Focusing on the Elemental Plane, Theldor drew nine quanta of his vis and mixed it with the essence of Earth in order to create a control spell that would send a command - along the power lines - to the energy cell that was on the other side. The command to issue was "explode". Provided that the power lines were made of a manifestation of the element of Earth known as metalcopper? (formerly classified as subessence) and that the energy cell was probably solid too or, at least, had some earthen components, it was likely that the power lines would issue the message and the energy cell would obey. The explosion, understood as a abrupt change of shape and position (outwards) of many parts of the solid parts of the power cell, was also within the scope of elementalism.

SoF - House (Arconis)
Old October 16, 2014, 01:27 PM   #22
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Quilantes would find his body still just a bit shaky from the jolt he'd received. It'd take a lot longer for him to fully recover. Everything still ached, but at the very least he could walk over and see what Silverannia was doing. Messing around with the rest of the machinery, it seemed. Well, maybe there was a reason they were together. It was easy enough to smash some tubes and pull some levers, but she'd try to tear loose some cabling, only to receive a strong zap that would knock her onto her back. It didn't hurt or anything, but she was a bit dazed now. Her hair was all frizzly, too.

In the meantime, Theldor would find that as an elementalist he didn't actually have any capability to send 'commands' through anything, and that his spell would simply fizzle.

Old October 17, 2014, 10:33 AM   #23
Theldor
Mythic

Theldor stood silent for a while, waiting for a distant explosion or some clue that his spell had worked.

Nothing. After staring at the machine in resentment, Theldor replied to Ein'nasar "Nothing. I think I'm going to reserve my remaining eighteen quanta of vis for an earthquake to destroy the towers and a storm to kill the soldiers in the city", he said, resolutely. "And for both things I need to find an exit of this building", he added, following the couple to the next room.

Following his own words, Theldor would look around in both rooms and in the corridor between them (if there was such a corridor) in order to find a door, window or similar that might give them access to the street.

Remaining vis: 18/27

SoF - House (Arconis)
Old October 18, 2014, 03:07 PM   #24
Silverianna
Notable

Silverianna stood up a bit shaky. Unsure now what to do. But it was fun to watch the colored lights on the metal boxes change when she pulled a lever or turned a valve. Pulling at the threads wasn't a good idea as she was shocked by them.

"Mage," she muttered as she moved to rejoin the others. She could use her sword to cut the threads. At least the hilt with its leather bindings would offer some protection. She drew her sword and slashed at the thinner threads hopefully to cut through them with each swing.

~~personal thoughts~~
Old October 20, 2014, 02:28 PM   #25
Ein'nasar Mythranthil
Hero

Ein'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious SuperheroEin'nasar Mythranthil is a glorious Superhero
Too bad, it seemed that they have no choice but to go manually. For now, while Theldor searched for the exit, Ein would trace the cables or pipes or what would seem like the vessel on which the electricity ran through, and just follow it back from the machines manually to find the source.

Currently preferring Sword XP over Sorcery XP when possible. Also looking for XP for my Minor Magic when applicable.
Old October 21, 2014, 11:39 PM   #26
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Using her sword was still dangerous, the wires often sparking heavily as she cut them, but at least Silverannia wouldn't be shocked anymore. Her hand tingled a little bit, though, and would grow a bit numb as she continued on. It was hard to tell if she was actually doing anything, though.

Ein'nasar would find it nearly impossible to follow the complicated circuitry. The systems used by the Xet were completely foreign and too advanced for him to really understand. Was this machine the source? A conduit? Were those even concepts that the sorceror understood? Everything looked like everything else, all mechanical. He would wind up just a bit lost and coincidentally manage to stumble upon Theldor.

There was no corridor, Theldor would find. It was simply a doorway between one room and the next. There were no windows or anything to the outside, and the only door in the smaller room would be to the larger one. It would take some time wandering around, but eventually the elementalist would eventually find another door.

It didn't go into the street. Both he and Ein'nasar would discover that easily enough. Instead, they would be staring at one seemed to be like a pretty big, shiny, important looking thing. A massive glass tube in the center, two metal pillars within it, and a large, sparking flowing orb floating in between. Well, that looked special!

Old October 24, 2014, 11:27 AM   #27
Silverianna
Notable

Getting bolder with her antics, she contionued to explore as she left a trail of cut threads, broken glass tubes and what ever levers she could find in a new position. Valves were turned to their stops and left there. Even if she came across them again, she would shift them.

She discovered on some of the boxes there were little switches and levers also. She switched them to new settings. Spun the dial knobs and used her sword hilt to smash them from the boxes.

~~personal thoughts~~
Old October 24, 2014, 12:33 PM   #28
Theldor
Mythic

Theldor looked at the massive glass. After what he had witnessed in the first room, he did not feel like striking directly it. He could, of course, use Arcana to destroy it but, if he did so, he would not be able to cast the two massive spells he was planning to cast. There must be another way to break the shiny thing inside the tube.

So he took his broadsword by its tip and threw it against the glass tube. His intention was to make the hilt hit the glass and break it. Then he would recover his broadsword and inspect the flowing orb, keeping himself appart from the metal pillars.

SoF - House (Arconis)
Old October 25, 2014, 11:18 AM   #29
Ein'nasar Mythranthil
Hero

Machines, machines. He should've paid more attention to those strange contraptions the gadgeteers made, but in the end it looks like the Xetan designs were too foreign that it wouldn't have helped anyways.

But where knowledge failed, luck prevailed.

After all those work, they managed to finally stumble upon what definitely looked like a power-source thingy. And... for now he'd duck and cover. Smashing power sources, even just the glass seem quite risky! If nothing bad happens though, he'd then observe the thing together with Theldor.

Instead of attempting to blow it up, Ein would attempt to cast a teleportation-class spell on it, opening a pocket dimension, swallowing and storing the energy ball inside it. Who knows, it might be useful later. Two birds with one stone!

Old October 26, 2014, 03:39 PM   #30
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Silverannia would continue doing what she was doing. It was hard to tell how big of an effect she was having, though. It didn't seem like what she was doing was really having anything more than a miniscule impact on her surroundings.

In the meantime, it was lucky for Theldor that Ein'nasar was there. Throwing the sword would indeed shatter the glass, although now that the orb was exposed a wave of heat would hit the both of them, instantly drenching them with sweat. The sorceror's pocket dimension would swallow it up, but at his level the dimension wouldn't last long. The orb seemed to make it even more unstable, and would soon break free - if they wanted to do something with it, they would need to think quickly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: