Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Crown Province of Prime

Old November 25, 2019, 04:07 AM   #76
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Fire truly was quite the dangerous thing. Even just a little spark could become a great conflagration, so it was rather important to be careful with it. In a controlled environment like this, with a professor on hand to assist if things went awry? It was a good place to practice, to be sure. Hopefully the application in the real world would be similarly unsullied.

This time the concept was something that the initiate managed to grasp without any issue. Perhaps she had more of a knack for fire? A fiery plume seemed to erupt from the campfire, slamming into the shield in an impressive display. Enough to leave a scorch mark on the wall, and to have nicely cracked through the earthen shield that Nir'Mmei had previously created.

Nice job, yeah? Try not to burn down your own house, though.

Now, perhaps they could go with something simple and practical. It was extremely useful to be able to create one's own source of light. The professor would leave this as an exercise for the student: with the talents she knew she had, how might she craft a spell capable of producing light for herself?

She could discuss the theory with the professor first, or just leap right into making her spell. There were some unlit logs around the campfire - the pool of water - the open windows producing a breeze - and an assortment of rocks.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 09:10 PM   #77
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Nir'Mmei is an upstanding Citizen
Nir'Mmei, of course, knew the easy way, why that was simply to make a floating flame. That would thus create a light but she wanted to try her hand at water since she had manipulated all the other elements first. Though the air was apparently a mistake it still counted right? Well, it did in her mind anyway and that was what was important.

Nir'Mmei thought about the ways water could make light and slowly a smile came to her face as she decided to try it. Water was of course technically a Tripple threat being that of Water, Ice and of course Steam. Of the three only two seemed to make like, Water and of course Ice. Nir'Mmei walked over to the pile of rocks and simply picked one up and then took a seat with the rock over one hand.

As she sat she meditated one the spell she was constructing in her mind. She knew that like fire Water could "burn" though cold. It sure felt like it and people did call food frozen for a few months burned by ice. So if Ice could burn then it could also make a type of flame and thus light.

Nir'Mmei then thought about the form her light should take and remembered her Second mothers' mirror in her grooming kit. So Nir'Mmei began by using her Vis to form the form of a compact on top of the rock and frozen onto it then the open-top she would make a slightly curved mirror like the ones for signaling at long range. In the bottom part, she would make what would look like a gem of ice and that Gem would be the fule source for the blue flame of the frost-fire that was simply pure elemental cold made to look and act like is sister the flame. These were the concepts she worked at one at a time as she formed her Vis construct till finally she pushed it out and tied it with the water element in her attempt to make a small Beacon lantern from well Water and ice. "Frost Light" She spoke as she used the words to help set her will into the vis stronger and the elemental energies that she hoped would make her light.
Old November 27, 2019, 02:19 AM   #78
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Nir'Mmei didn't lack imagination when it came to her spells, certainly. That creativity did have its drawbacks, however. A floating flame was a easy way to do it, both in terms of concept and actual execution. What the katta was attempting to do was a little more complicated in both aspects as well.

The idea was certainly there. Shaping it how Nir'Mmei wanted, however, proved to be more of a challenge. Manipulating water and ice, while trying to make it take the form of fire as well? It was a little sloppier than the katta would have wanted, considering how wildly and erratically true flames moved.

The concept was there. But it was more like an icy slurry was oozing out of the rock, occasionally erupting in a stream or gout of ice. Like a mirror, it was capable of reflecting the light around it into something of a light source, but the wild shape made it a little less effective.

Perhaps - the professor had some suggestions - Nir'Mmei could go with simply using the "base" she had built as the source of luminescence? In other words, not having the "frost-fire" aspect of it and instead going for a simple, glowing orb of reflective ice. Of course, water and ice in and of itself held no actual light, so unlike fire, this would be unlikely to work in pitch darkness. But in low light conditions, she could perhaps harness enough of the latent light around her to make things a little easier on herself.

Old November 27, 2019, 04:50 AM   #79
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei sighed as she looked at the attempt. she had to admit that it was complex and apparently too much for her fledgling abilities which is why she had used the rock as a safety barrier between her own hand and the spell. She bet she would probably have been severely injured.

She then described exactly what she had tried to do to the teacher so that he might help her with the failure. She also said that the mirror was only to focus the light forward. the true source should have been the water flame.
Old November 28, 2019, 02:06 AM   #80
Indefinite
Foreboden!

The professor didn't necessarily have much advice for Nir'Mmei if she wanted to try and make the water flame work. It was admittedly quite the difficult task, and he wasn't sure if an initiate was really up to that kind of finesse. Still, it would definitely make for a good project for her to continue to take a crack at if she wished.

"In the end, the only thing that really behaves like fire is fire," was the best advice he could provide. Instead of trying to emulate one element with another, why not take what was unique to water/ice and utilize that instead?

Well, maybe the professor was stifling Nir'Mmei's creativity. But there were still limits to how far imagination could go, and that was the thing about school, you did what the teacher taught you.

Old November 28, 2019, 10:16 PM   #81
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei sighed and nodded her head and said. "The Easy way then." She then looked over to the campfire that was lit and still cheerily burning away as she tossed the rock back on the pile of stones after removing her own tenuous connection to the vis their in not really sure yet how to cancel the spell and wondering if that would work since, in theory, it should work. but might require a bit more like removing her vis entirely.

Then she thought of the form of the fast winged bird that sipped the water from the flowers back on the farm it was an amazing bird in that it could hover, fly forwards or backwards and its wings were so fast they hummed. She then used this concept for the Vis as she placed it a bit in front of her just in case something went wrong and leaving a strand leading back to her so she could use her own Vis as a fuel source since fire always needed to eat. She then merged and compressed the fire essence with her vis making a hummingbird out of the fire. "Fire Flitter" she spoke as she called hummingbirds flitters since they flitted about so with the words spoken and making her intent manifest in her mind she looked at the hopefully little bird made of fire that would fly around according to her will.
Old November 29, 2019, 09:22 PM   #82
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Spells innately could last over a period of time, but if the duration went on too long, the spell required more vis in order to power. In that sense, the katta merely needed to sever the connection as she had done, in order to not fuel it any longer than she wanted.

Once more, Nir'Mmei was committed to going beyond what the professor wanted. This time, the result was better than before, however. The form that was created was very much reminiscent of a bird, although the wings didn't really seem to be flapping so much as there was just a stretch of fire around where the wings could have flapped - a compromise, given how fast a hummingbird's wings flapped.

But it was definitely a bird and it was definitely made of fire. Except...

...fire didn't really fly innately, now, did it? Some birds just couldn't fly, alas. This was a landborne bird.

Old December 2, 2019, 07:09 PM   #83
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei was at least still happy with the result as it looked nice which was mostly what she wanted she could work on mobility for it later. Still, she played around with it a bit seeing if she could get it to move with that thread of Vis that was mostly for controlling it.

Once she was done she looked at the Professor. "Its a Light source needs a bit more work but its main purpose is served."

She wondered how to get it to fly and figured that might be a bit beyond her yet. She then looked at the Professor. "So If I could get it to fly it would be perfect, still till that point what is next?"
Old December 3, 2019, 04:08 AM   #84
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Without some manner of alteration to the spell, it didn't seem like it was going to be going anywhere anytime soon. It was one thing to cause a flame to leap from a source like a pike - it was a little more complicated to maintain sustained motion.

To do that, she'd likely need to manipulate two elements at once: fire as the base of the spell, and air to perhaps move it around. It was, indeed, complicated. The simplest way of going about it was to make the flight pattern as simple as possible. For instance, quite literally a straight line. The more maneuverability, the more complicated it became.

What next? Well, they were done for today. Nir'Mmei had used up her three spells, from the successful fire spike to the two tries to get the light source working. That would be all for now!

oocI have one more exercise to briefly go over for Nir'Mmei, after which we can conclude the thread without playing out the totality of the term

Old December 3, 2019, 07:19 PM   #85
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei was once more exhausted and after getting her professors' advice and leave she headed to the cafeteria ate and then went to the library for a bit of light reading before heading to bed after supper.

The next morning She was bright and chipper and eager for more studies. She wondered what would be upon today's agenda perhaps making a wand or staff. She somehow doubted that.
Old December 4, 2019, 02:28 AM   #86
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Nir'Mmei found that much of the next few days would be spent re-hashing the fundamentals. If she had any questions on the material that had been covered prior, now would be the time to ask. Of course, with so much having been covered, it was probably hard to even remember what had been discussed.

Well, with any luck, she'd better get it with time. The fundamentals were there when it came to elementalism and spellcasting. She had three initiate level spells per day - her spells [url=http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121743&]had to make sense within the spell categories of elementalism[/thread] - more complicated spells took longer to form and had a higher risk of failure - and so on and so forth.

Practical sessions were mostly a matter of going through the basics again and again, until Nir'Mmei felt like she could form a fire pike in her sleep. She'd find in later sessions that the chances of an initiate miscasting a spell were surprisingly high, and so it was important to become as familiar and comfortable with the process as possible. Fudging a spell in a lab was fine - what if she was facing down a bandit trying to slice her open?

Finally, further along in the term, there was a bit of variety. The usual professor for the lab was out sick, and so a substitute had come in. Today, they were going to try something a little different. Why not have a little fun today?

The substitute brandished a ribbon in her hand. Today, they would do some experiments with air currents. How long did Nir'Mmei think she could keep the ribbon off of the ground? She handed it over to the katta to try.

Old December 5, 2019, 02:56 PM   #87
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

The young Katta looked at the ribbon and then the teacher. and simply replied. "Not that long I think." Then she looked about the room for a place she might get the ribbon to land at that was "off the ground" Most likely not quite what the professor had in mind but she did say to have a bit of fun eh?.

She decided to try and put the ribbon on the mantle. so she made her vis into a tube and imagined it blowing at a slow but steady rate strong enough to lift and propel the ribbon effectively a stiff breeze but not quite a light wind. She then angeled the tube of wind so that it would blow up and forward at the same time all along the course so that the ribbon would hopefully land on the mantle. she also left her Vis attached to herself just to make sure that if needed she could add a bit more duration. then she pushed the vis out and merged it with the air elements from the air itself. "Flutter" she intoned imparting a stronger sense of her will into the spell as she moved her hand into the breeze with a tad bit of hope.
Old December 6, 2019, 02:40 PM   #88
Indefinite
Foreboden!

The problem, Nir'Mmei found, was a matter of finesse.

It was easy enough to imagine something like a simple breeze, but how did the air interact with the object? Even the slightest or most subtle shift in a gust caused changes in motion, and the katta found it was significantly less straightforward than she thought - even if it was just a matter of moving along something as simple as a ribbon.

Well, that was the entire point of the exercise. To use the element of air was simple if brute forcing it. Once you really got into the details and tried to exert a level of control over it, however, that's when things got complicated.

In general, of course, the ribbon moved. The overall concept of her spell worked as intended - but it was the accuracy that seemed to be lacking, as the ribbon fluttered off in a completely unexpected direction. One imagined that this was good practice if she ever wanted to get something to fly.

"This is just something that's going to take a lot of time to get used to," the substitute noted. It was good practice, of course. With time, Nir'Mmei would get better, understanding the subtleties of how air moved, and how she could bend that to her will.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #89
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei nodded to the substitute. "Yes, It is very hard to prognosticate the path of the ribbon through the air." She, of course, gave it a second try but this time she just did a general sustained upwards breeze in the whole room or at least a large area she hoped as she spread her vis like a net linking it into the air in the room and then tried to make the ribbon float a bit longer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: