Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Enamoria > Daltina

Notices

Old October 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Evelyn Oroval
Citizen

Evelyn Oroval is a benevolent Adventurer
“Oh?” And that saucy little expression on her face simply added to the sarcasm dripping off Evey’s tone. Her slate-blue eyes danced a bit too, enjoying far too much knowing more than her mother at the last. Johanna’s constant mistake was her pride; she thought herself too intelligent, too deft, too subtle, and missed the mistakes she made along the way. The Marchioness of the House of Oroval hadn’t bred an idiot, after all, and as much as Evelyn hated to admit it, some of her mother’s genes did indeed run strongly in her, too.

But she’d only ever confess to that when it proved her right and her mother wrong.

Evey shook her head slyly from side to side, all the while keeping that pinched smile still intact. “I’d say he was more of a jackal than a lion’s cub at all,” she smoothed back, and let the feisty rebelliousness remained fastened on her face to hide the growing, nagging sense of worry that she felt chewing on the back of her mind. Maybe Johanna was right. Maybe Karsten did know something. Maybe rumors had flown, and maybe those suspicions she knew her all-too-aware mother harbored in her mind would begin to blossom into something far more full-fledged.

But Evelyn wouldn’t think of that now. There was still time enough to deal with the issue if it ever came to that, but there wasn’t much of a point of worrying when it wasn’t here yet. So instead she pursed her lips, planted both hands on either side of her a waist made painfully thin by the hidden constraints, and shook her head, again. “So you would prefer I play the part of the nun then, Mother, or would rather me the perfect, angelic little doll of a daughter that I’ve always been treated as?” The subtleties of what Johanna was suggesting escaped Evelyn entirely, consumed as she was with her own particular imaginings.

Then again, Evelyn had been raised as a princess in her private castle since birth, a fiction only encouraged when it became clear that there would be no further legitimate children born of her parents’ union. The image had been encouraged, not shattered, when she had moved to permanent residence in Medonia, too. The courts of the governor and the other esteemed nobles had proved fertile ground for her particular brand of seeds, and Evelyn Oroval had become the glittering jewel in Enamorian society, just as cherished there as she had been here.

That Enamoria was small in the scale of the world and Medonia even more impinged didn’t seem to have dawned across the young woman’s mind. What did it matter, anyway, when this was the only world she had ever known? Johanna would go on about things of a more imperial or even global scale, but Evey had very successfully managed to filter every single one of them out through her childhood, and had honed and kept the habit well into her adult eras.

She sighed, rolled her eyes slightly, and took on an air of abused exasperation. “If you so desire, Mother,” Evey replied patronizingly. While Johanna had schemes, Evelyn simply had desires—and the daughter found the latter to be far more entertaining than the former every single time.
Evelyn Oroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2013, 05:48 AM   #17
Roscarnis de Lylles
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Roscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious Superhero
Johanna rolled her eyes at Evelyn's continued attempts to draw the frowns and disapproval from her face, knowing full well that those were simply attempts to garner more attention. Attention that Johanna could not give now, because of Evelyn's own blunder that was distracting and of greater need of her guidance... or meddling.

Oh Johanna never fancied herself a creature of force and heavy-handedness. Those were the machinations of the lesser aristocracy. She much preferred to spin her influences from the shadow, and let it gain momentum and life of its own before ripping outwards from the source.

At Evelyn's sulks again, she merely cut in with a harsh tone, showing that she had had quite enough from her. The rivalry between mother and daughter was an interesting dynamic, and given how well they knew each other, each insult, each insinuation, each barb, each dripping drop of sarcasm would have a greater, more profound effect.

"Oh don't be daft, I've raised you better than that." There was a glint of exasperation in her eyes, the paragon of feminine nobility keeping that saintly expression amid her cruel admonition mixed with a degree of pitiful mockery in the knowledge that her daughter shall never be the woman she was.

It was a warped kind of love, certainly a radical form of parenting, if one were to be particularly lenient on Johanna and Maximillian's choice of upbringing.

And then Johanna's voice dropped to a whisper, forcing Evelyn to have to listen closely, or miss out on her mother's instructions.

"You will go down to the apothecary now, and personally." The apothecary was of course in the city center, and not at all near to the Oroval Manor; yet before Evelyn could protest or demand her elder's rationale in all these, she had spoken again.

"Look for the Baba Goirnia, and tell her Johanna of House Oroval requires her expertise." There was something in her tone that suggested that Baba Goirnia's expertise was not something that was regularly sought, and indeed, assistance from this one could be considered controversial.

Why else would Evelyn only hear of her until now? Even when she thought that Johanna would only associate herself with upstanding members of society for fear of their taint, she could still be surprised.

And now she could also be honored to know that Johanna was letting her in the know. Sure, she was moving as per her mother's marbled words, but then they were now, compared to never before, on the same team.

"You must do this yourself, without outside knowledge." She cautioned again, while that flawless, projected visage of triumph had already set upon her face. Perhaps what had irritated the Marchioness of Oroval so much was her penchant for perfection, and in that, she could not find the same in her very own flesh and blood that was so possessed of a will of her own that she would hear those words and lessons from her mother, but would never listen or obey.

"You can be discrete, can you not, my dear daughter?"

Her chin tilted towards the backdoor, urging for Evelyn to leave, and to leave now to do her bidding.
Old June 13, 2014, 12:12 AM   #18
Evelyn Oroval
Citizen

Daft was not a word she particularly liked, especially not when it came from her mother’s lips. Johanna had long slighted the girl’s intelligence over the stream of quickly-released tutors and failed schools in her childhood, but even then Evelyn had known that there was a begrudging acceptance that she had her wiles—and even some that Johanna appreciated. It had, after all, smoothed over Medonia society into little more than a fawning audience for Evelyn’s crowing grace, and if the rumors that Karsten had previously alluded to had travelled all the way here, so had those.

Perhaps there was a tint of a silver lining in this entire mess after all. Karsten may have been a bull pounding through a shop of china whose delicacy escaped his bestial nature and Evey might not have appreciated his thinly-veiled slights against her character, but at least in this she had a small shade of victory when her lady mother acknowledged her upbringing. It was a distant, extrapolated conclusion at best, but one that the starved daughter was both eager and open minded enough to take.

She smiled then, that saccharine-like expression that so poorly hid the darker nature underneath in its overwhelming thickness, and turned on her mother with a swish of her voluminous skirts. “Did you?” Evey asked, quirking a dark eyebrow with perfect posture and into the most elegant of arches: a process that Johanna Oroval, the Marchioness, would so easily recognize as a mimicry of hers. It was a childish prank that she had been utilizing since she was very young, but still amusing nonetheless.

Her mother’s sudden fall to a whisper and the conspiratorial sound in her tone caught her by genuine surprise, erasing the feigned nature and character of just moments before. Suddenly her pale expression grew confused. She drew downward toward her mother. Evelyn took a few steps closer too, but it didn’t help. For a moment, she wondered if this was truly her lady mother speaking, or rather some ghost or mystic’s illusion in her place with the intent of pulling their house down to disrepute.

“The apothecary?” she repeated, plainly lost. “Good gods, Mother, you can’t possibly think that I’m with child?” The accusation was sudden, pointed, and built entirely out of raw instinct, and so she had no ability to think through the words before they slipped past her lips. She scoffed at that, and loudly, and wove a hand in front of her mother’s face. “You must be insane. I am neither going to the apothecary myself as I am moving to Arakmat, particularly at this candlemark of the night.”

The rest of her dissent was silenced again with her mother’s further instructions, naming a woman that, try as she might, Evelyn could not recall from the recesses of her memory. “Baba Goirnia? Do you also want me to sup with the Sultan, Mother?” Evey asked incredulously. She couldn’t believe that such words were even slipping out of her mother’s porcelain mouth. Johanna, the Marchioness of Oroval, ordering her daughter to the apothecary late at night to see some presumable person with a name that no proper individual could ever pronounce? It was far too fanciful and imaginative to trust.

“I can be discreet,” the younger woman smoothed back, turning on the sarcastic tone once more, “if I actually understood what you wanted.” Her pale eyes rolled in their sockets and her red-painted lips pursed into a perfect circle. “Ioannes’ blood, Mother, you’re acting like the Rakrya’s returned. It was a rumor, Mother, and an unfounded one at that. Karsten was simply trying to unsettle me because he can’t stand that I rejected his proposal before. You cannot possibly believe that I would be stupid enough to be with child from a lover.”

Evelyn frowned. A dainty foot appeared underneath the bottom edge of her skirt and she folded both arms in front of the bodice of her gown in a very pointed expression of total stubbornness. “No,” she repeated. “You did raise me better than that, darling Mother, and I will not go out of this house unaccompanied based on the rumor of a jealous simpleton.”
Old June 16, 2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Roscarnis de Lylles
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Roscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious Superhero
Johanna scowled. It wasn't a pretty expression, and in truth it brought out her true age when she did. The wrinkles became harsher, and her thin mouth became all the more bloodless and frightening. There was much that one could tell with the way Johanna's lips were -- and she was not impressed at this very moment.

"Save your hysterics for one that may find it amusing." She uttered coldly. Never had she sounded so frigid -- the tension between mother and daughter had ever been fiery, passionate and scathing. Never crystalline as it were now.

"Though I must say I am relieved to hear you are not with child, otherwise I would have to rip that bastard out of your belly myself." Such a word, and coming from her mother's noble lips. This was quite novel, of course, but something only those closest to her could appreciate. The real Johanna rises out in these occasions, a side that only few had had the opportunity to witness.

Like a cruel, twisting serpent, her eyes were ever still, not a single twitch in her pupils as she continues.

"It is a potion that the good Baba brews. Tasteless and undetectable. Karsten thinks he can stride up to my home and act the king." She had quickly changed the subject regarding the reagent she sought Evelyn to procure, as though to prevent unnecessary questions. She was being cagey now it seemed, and a certain desperation gleamed in those still, dark eyes that were perfect portals to her innermost soul.

They were dark, murky and impregnable. They were certain.

"This is my home." She repeated again, slowly. One brow perked at Evelyn as though wondering if she truly understood the stakes. Perhaps she did not see it now, but a decade or two down the line, she would learn the taste of regret, and by then, it would be far too late to change anything.

"And I plan to live here for a very, very, long time." Disappointed eyes fell upon Evelyn again, as though there was some grand regret that Johanna reserved for her, some way that she had been found wanting, and thus can never fulfil the wishes she bore her own flesh and blood.

But cutting as her tongue was, Johanna herself knew that there were simply words that cannot be uttered, for fear of bridges burned. And so with fingers clenched beside her, she implored her daughter with her face, beseeching her to do this task she set upon her and at this very instance.
Old June 30, 2014, 04:17 PM   #20
Evelyn Oroval
Citizen

There were precious few people in all of mortal-bound Telath that could make Evelyn pause, but Johanna Oroval was most certainly one of them. The daughter’s blood froze at the sight of her mother’s frosted, piercing anger, all of which cut through to her very flesh like a knife. Her mother was furious. The marchioness had that elegant way about her of throwing about her temper, never descending into screams or stomps or the tantrums of lesser women, but rather channeling the searing heat and piercing fault into her very gaze and making even the strongest person wither underneath its weight.

And now it was Evelyn withering. She shrunk visibly, pulling her hands and arms inward as her head turned sideways and down to look away, as if fearing a physical slap across her cheek. “I was…no,” the younger woman muttered softly, still trying to judge the potential consequence of answering against not answering, and finding both particularly distasteful to her sense of self-preservation. Evey hid behind a mahogany curl that conveniently fell over her face and still avoided every trace of her mother’s gaze. “Of course not.” The words were forced from between her lips like vomit from the stomach—poisonous in taste and involuntary in their escape.

She breathed heavily then, feeling Johanna’s nearness and hating every second of it. Gods’ death, she was a grown woman. How was it that her mother still had this fearsome affect on her? Evey shrank again as Johanna described Baba’s particular skills, making it clear that a child was the least of the marchioness’s concerns as her attention had instead shifted to their most unwelcome of guests. “Karsten,” Evey inhaled. Of course. Her mother’s webs were instead slung toward that particular target, and most likely hastened as it had become evidently clear over the course of the night that whatever union Johanna had envisioned between her daughter and the heir of male primogeniture for their house was quickly falling apart.

“Mother?” The word was a name and a question and a fear all intermingled into one, as if even Evey herself couldn’t distinguish between all the emotions running through her at that moment. “What are you…” And then the younger removed the question as quickly as it had been spoken, and turned away again with both white hands pressed hard and firmly against the center of her chest and the heart that beat wildly and unpredictably there.

“Oh gods, mother,” she whispered. “Do you really want this?” Her mind was in dark recesses now, as Evelyn had learned long ago to put nothing and no measure past the reach of her mother’s ambition and protective streak. She was a woman born to a regal heritage, and never had Johanna shaken from doing whatever was necessary to protect that course. And now she… “Fine,” Evey spoke aloud, finally turning about while still keeping those pale slate eyes pointed away from her mother’s gaze. She dodged about the elder woman to make quick her escape toward the back pantry and out the door that stood there.

“I’ll go,” Evey explained, “but I do not want you telling me why.” That terribly sour look had now poisoned the entirety of her face, and Evey sped out of the kitchens without the barest look back, taking a maid’s cloak off of one of the hooks in the servants’ quarters and rushing, nearly sprinting, out of the house and into the darkness of the city outside.