Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Enamoria > Daltina

Notices

Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #16
Elanara Al'lende
Champion

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Elanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious Superhero
late night post is better than never? lol I will scan for horrendous grammar tomorrow

Tiyribi was trapped, and she raged as any trapped creature would. Elanara hardened her heart against all this- the sharpness of her own cruel words, the icy furor of the woman whom the world and its circumstances had ever made her opponent, and the accusations whose veracity lent them the strength to pierce straight to her damaged soul. Yet Elanara clung to her inner knowledge that what she was doing was necessary and right, and that all would be revealed in due time. A plan had been set in motion before her arrival here. To follow its convoluted path had been a difficult decision to make; expressing open sympathy would make it no easier on any of them.

That she had not drank to her own false toast was of little comfort to her conscience; Elanara was acutely aware that each of her carefully delivered lies, both in words and actions, contained enough truth to make it all wholly believable. Tiyribi believed the worst of her because the worst was entirely possible. There was within the recesses of her soul the wish to do these people great harm for all the grief they had knowingly and unknowingly visited upon her, and it was frightening to Elanara to find that she had the capacity for such malignancy. Half a century ago, she had been content in her studies of law and lorekeeping, and her dreams had centered upon the knowledge of the past; what, then, had taken her from her quiet brightenings among the trees, and thrust her into the politics of palaces and the malicious intrigues of these present eras?

Vysstichi. It had always been the vysstichi to whom the greatest evils of the world could be traced. It was their constant warring upon her peace-loving*cough*delusion is awesome *cough* lol people that had drawn her out of the Silrosian valley, following her sister's righteous raiding against them. It was the evils wrought upon Enamoria by the vysstichi of the Dark Alliance that had brought her south. And it was Faust Kitrye'veresi's brutal crimes here that had brought her to Daltina now. She had been right to scoff at Serion each time he proclaimed that he and his ilk sought to unite the elven peoples in a peace they had never known. She had once thought that Faust truly believed his lord's lies, but now she questioned whether he had been far more devious than she had ever thought possible. These vysstichi wanted nothing but destruction, and violence, and lawless disorder.

And here was a most tired story, of an esh'lahier unable to recognize the treachery of a heartless vysstichi who had betrayed her in such a vicious manner. Any could see Tiyribi's ploy for what it was: a woman shielding the man she loved, and thinking she could reason against the madness that was House Maeve. It was clear Tiyribi thought to martyr herself for love, for a an unworthy man so base and cowardly that he would abandon his wife to be tried for his own atrocious crimes.

No matter what the other lady had claimed to Prefect Liliana, Elanara did not believe Tiyribi had any hand in or prior knowledge of the murders— but in that moment of seeing the esh'lahier's deep torment and bared rage, of feeling the intensity of the anger and accusation heaped upon her- she could have believed it. Tiyribi's biting curse froze the blood in her veins and shook her more than she had thought possible.

There was no pleasure found in the harsh offense that had sent Tiyribi from their company. Elanara's original purpose in coming here had been lost to her the moment she had realized her vis was gone, but there were other opportunities that she did not waste.

"A small formality of the trial, of which I would speak to you," Elanara answered Freya's question. How well the Maeve woman played to her perfectly innocent looks! But these cloying manners had little effect upon the elven lady, who had long since learned that appearances were only that. She responded similarly, speaking with all due respect while evading answering in full.

When they had settled themselves once more and she was invited to speak further, Elanara would elaborate.

"Your Graces, I must confess that I had been concerned for the way in which Governor Andares was kept," she said, speaking carefully. It was true that she was relieved not to find the Lady Andares thoughtlessly cast into a prison cell. "Coming here has assured me that Her Excellency is accorded the hospitality due a lady of her rank, and for this, you have my thanks."

"I understand she has confessed to conceiving of this plot herself- but though no one gives credence to her claim, Prefect Liliana was rather insistent that Governor Andares seeks to 'subvert the law' by protecting her husband in this way. I am concerned, therefore, that she be made aware of the serious nature of this trial, and of her rights and responsibilities under the law."

(we get what we deserve)

lady al'lende | secrets | posting on 2/19 and 2/20, sorry! :)
Old April 4, 2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Roscarnis de Lylles
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Roscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious Superhero
"Kept?"

Freya's smile froze on her lips as she held the stem of her crystal in mute shock. They had retired to the drawing room with the state of Pracenda unable to be salvaged, and Elanara herself would find himself in another room draped in finery, of richness and decadence like that of an Imperial Throneroom. Perhaps this had been where dignitaries and emissaries had been granted audiences before the great Kings and Queens of Maeve, it was that grand.

It was clear that there was something in her words that the Maeve did not like. Once again, she had been the more loquacious of the pair while Bertrand seemed not to mind the arrangement one bit, enjoying his cigars as he watched the two women -- Elanara more than his supposed wife.

"Her Excellency and Grace is our guest, she is here by choice, and her wishes are accorded with utmost importance." There was no weakness in her voice, rather there was a puff of offence at the implication that the Andares could be a prisoner to the Maeve, and that concept itself, at least to Freya, appeared utterly abhorrent.

Then again, there had been nothing demonstrated this darkening that proved Tiyribi was here against her will, other than the draining of the vis -- which in itself was not as uncommon as Elanara might think -- after all, if this was indeed the old stronghold from which the Maeve conducted their businesses, then it was natural for them to take some precautions against their enemies that wished harmed upon them.

The Regia Palace of Prime bore anti-magic wards too until recently when the magic finally unravelled upon itself.

Still, unlike the woman they now spoke of, Freya was far the superior diplomat, and was tempered enough to contain herself even if she was displeased. The language of rhetoric and politics seemed well understood by her, and she too, gave her own answers in a manner to suggest that this one was far more schooled than Liliana Maeve ever was.

"Liliana is an adherent of the old law. Rigid and inflexible, but she is not wrong." It was a lamentable tone that Freya used now, as though hoping to seek Elanara's understanding and sympathy in that matter, followed by an apologetic one as though able to see how the interaction between Governor and Prefect would not have been particularly a pleasant one, knowing her relative.

In an indulgent tone, as though she would play along as long as Elanara sought to, Freya continued in the same tone, her features now somber. How animated this one was, able to convey every emotion through her face like a most perfect portrait befitting any emotion and thought.

There was something about Freya though, that would likely unsettle Elanara, if she could pick it out -- that underneath that sincerity, that gentle questioning and a face that bore the paragon of gentile aristocracy, there was a surging confidence that was unshakable. This one did not think, did not doubt. This one knew.

She was sure.

What she was sure of, however, was unknown for now, but then every attempt at appearing worry or anxious was so betrayed by that glowering sense of being so perfectly self-contained.

"Yet Your Excellency would understand that the blind pursue of justice alone, in this case, would wrought catastrophic results." Her lips broke into an understanding, sympathetic smile. It was clear that whatever Elanara thought, Freya seemed to implicitly feel a connection with, or at least that was the impression she sought to create.

"Though your concern is admirable, Excellency, I assure you, she understands exactly the severity of the matter, and understands the law as well as you and I." A careful turn of her head towards Bertrand, as though seeking his opinion and validation on that matter. The man, for his part, gave an acquiescent wave of his hand, agreeing with what had been said.

Taking a careful sip of her digestif, Freya found she had one last question, one that had plagued her since the Governor's entrance here at the Basilica, and one that the esh'ahier had asked, but the high elf had not answered; not completely at least.

"If you would indulge me, however, Excellency, what is your true purpose is being here? Certainly there is more you seek than to antagonize the already distraught lady. And in truth, it matters naught if the Baroness was involved in the crime, as she claims. Her implication is deemed by the Articles by her familial ties to the accused. Such is the law." Her tone was mildly chastizing, especially when referring to the commotion she had undoubtedly caused, but then grew somber at the finality of the entire matter altogether, a certain helplessness to it all.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Elanara Al'lende
Champion

Elanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious SuperheroElanara Al'lende is a glorious Superhero
:-\

Elanara let her confusion play across her features, although she suspected Freya of purposefully, willfully misunderstanding her statement. Perhaps all these Maeves thought that questioning every last word she uttered, interpreting opposite meanings, accusing her of things she had not said, becoming angry when she agreed to the very things they had asked of her, and so on would cause her to trip upon her own skirts. Certainly this particular characteristic had been displayed by every Maeve she had met thus far, and so seemed a family trait.

It was no matter. Elanara was clear on the things she did and said, and to whom, and for what purpose. She had every reason to suspect Tiyribi of being an actual prisoner, given Liliana's words, actions, and threats, and her own knowledge of the law- yet Elanara had neither said nor indicated anything of the sort, and now only watched in feigned confusion as Freya made a wild, grasping leap to her contrived conclusion.

Elanara continued to find it suspicious and unusual that they had drained her vis upon her arrival, because information she did not have access to as well as the thoughts of other people were both hidden from her and thus could not possibly directly affect what she said, did, and believed.

"Yes, of course," she answered, and as to what question or part, that was left to Freya's excellent imagination. She ignored the following insult as if it had not been spoken.

"How glad I am that Her Excellency enjoys your hospitality," she repeated a variation on her same statement, "while Justicar Wulfrum and Prefect Maeve attend to their business." Perhaps this guest would find better hospitality here than the guests her husband had murdered.

"I am here to express my sympathy and to lend the aid which the Justicar and Prefect have requested," she kindly explained once again. After such a terrible crime- and given all the interprovincial risks inherent in such a trial- it would have been remiss of her not to personally attend to these matters. "I understand that the family wishes for this to be settled in a quick and private manner. I pray you find the justice you deserve."

(we get what we deserve)

Old April 9, 2013, 08:46 AM   #19
Roscarnis de Lylles
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Roscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious SuperheroRoscarnis de Lylles is a glorious Superhero
If it had been Freya's intention to insult Elanara, she did not show it. Rather the high elf's appearance of confusion appeared to be mirrored upon Freya's features, a brow perking up in mild bemusement. Her fingers were pulled and set upon her abdomen as she sighed softly, as though she had done nothing but do her best to accommodate their strange and latest development in the series of events.

"I trust she will, or I would have been found wanting as a hostess." She glimmered slightly, her eyes then of course dilating as though surprised by the answer. Still, her question had not been answered. No matter. It truly was inconsequential in the grander scheme of things -- the esh'lahier woman was here, and if her husband had indeed loved her, then her sacrifice may not be in vain after all.

"Thank you," She murmured thoughtfully, accepting her words with a practiced poise, though that sentiment may well be as empty as some of the words spoken this darkening already. She was growing bored, listless even, and was simply going through the motions at this point, perhaps not very much different from Elanara herself.

"I am confident the laws of the Sacred Three will be upheld, and on behalf of my family, offer our gratitude in your swift action undertaken to apprehend the criminal." The words were polished, erudite, but then there was no trace of mirth behind them, only a quiet tone of benign approval, making it hard to tell if she truly meant the words that fell from those perfectly formed lips.

"Is this all, Excellency?" Freya asked with the same tone of indulgence, her eyes half shut as though she was forever ethereal -- the very posture of a good spirit herself, radiant and glowing.

As for Bertrand?

He said nothing. He only continued staring in that uncomfortable manner he had utilized the moment he set eyes upon the high elf, blowing rings of smoke into the still, terse air.
Old April 12, 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Elanara Al'lende
Champion

too tired to fill this in more, but better than nothing! >.<

After five centuries, Elanara at least had the wit not to confuse physical beauty with inherent goodness; her palace had plenty of mirrors, after all, and she was well aware of the sorry state of her own soul.

They had long since come to an impasse. With so very little accomplished here, and with nothing left to say or do this darkening, it was well past time to depart.

"I will do all I can," she answered agreeably, "-though perhaps no more can be done this darkening."

She stood then and offered a slight curtsy to both, and with the recitation of appropriate departing words all around, would graciously take her leave.

(we get what we deserve)

Closed Thread