Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Matchmaker

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 2007, 02:28 AM   #16
Susan
Former Staff

Susan is an upstanding Citizen
The short answer - yes you can create Kavene's family.

The long answer - Well, let's put it this way - Kavene's gotta have family somewhere, right? It's fine for PCs to create and NPC their immediate family - parents, brothers and sisters - as long as this is for storytelling purposes only and not to benefit your PC in any way, unless there is GM approval of such. So, for example, a lot of PCs have started off with the back story of title deed to a home being given to them by a family member. That's fine, if the home is worth 1000 crowns, as that's what's allowed for starting characters. But it would require GM approval if you NPC'd a parent or sibling giving your PC anything beyond what is allowed for starting characters.

Also, if your NPC family have skills such as professional basket weaving, or were particularly wealthy, or influential, or held noble titles, such would also require approval. Basically, talk to your local GM about your ideas.

The guidelines for NPCing relatives with skills is that they cannot be used to benefit your PC without the usual approval being given. For example, say Kavene's father was an elite swordsman, if Kavene wanted to learn how to wield a sword from him then before the level up thread was started, a quick nod from the local GM would be needed for the use of this NPC for this purpose (as is always the case when before starting a level up thread). But if the NPCing of relatives is purely for social interaction, then that's fine.

If you are wanting any relatives to be original PCs, then all you have to do is sketch out the family tree, put it somewhere in your CIR, and then start looking for other players who might be interested in taking up those characters as new PCs. Any player can do this, and there are no restrictions on how long you've been playing Aelyria.

After that, you can make a thread in this forum advertising your family to the community following the template guidelines!

Lots of information there. If I haven't been clear, nudge me again

EDIT: I missed the bit about Katteria! I'll need to do a bit of research on the likelihood of living relatives having come from Katteria as contact with that nation was cut off a while back in history. However delegates from Katteria arrived in Aelyria Prime an era and a half ago, so contact has been reestablished, although it's not been played out much. I think the likelihood of having relatives in Katteria is pretty slim - but I'll get back to you on this *puts on her research hat*

Last edited by Susan; November 30, 2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old November 30, 2007, 02:54 AM   #17
Kavene Darklight
Hero

Kavene Darklight is an upstanding Citizen
Lol, thanks much! It shall come in handy, oh and if i create a family NCP, like a cousin... i would have control over it right? not the GM? wouldn't that kinda be like having a second PC, or would i only be able to use him if he is talked to? Fin- love your little visuals

Secrets of Foresight | CIR of Kavene | Kavene's golems

Back! I hope...
Old November 30, 2007, 03:09 AM   #18
Susan
Former Staff

Again, this tends to be on a case-by-case basis for family NPCs. You wouldn't usually be allowed to start threads with this NPC unless they are interacting with your PC as otherwise, as you rightly say, this would be like having a second PC. So if you were NPCing this cousin as in developing their own story in Aelyria in separate threads, that wouldn't be allowed. Remember that you are the star of your story and NPCs are there to help develop your plotlines as extras.

Therefore you can control this NPC in threads where they are interacting with you, bearing in mind the guidelines that they should not be benefiting you in any way unless with GM approval beforehand, and if the cousin has assets and skills, these will require approval. Basically, when in doubt, talk this over with your local GM.

A GM can control them too, but it's usual for the GM to talk this over with you beforehand, just so you know what's going on. In the past, having a GM control a family member is a way of letting a plot develop which is a surprise/challenge for your PC - and sometimes GMs may decide to have an unknown relative pop out of the woodwork to surprise you. Again, they will likely PM you first to get an idea of what your family's history is like so that it all fits in with developed ideas.

You can, of course, ask a mod to NPC your family too. That way there is interaction and plots to which you are not privvy to - and often a story is more fun when the PC doesn't hold all the cards.
Old November 30, 2007, 03:48 AM   #19
Susan
Former Staff

Quote:
I want to know if i could create a family and start having it expand in a way where some cousins or such come from Kattaria (which as far as i know isn't a playable island).
Okay, back with my research hat on!

First things first, katta are indigenous to the continent of Medonia, which is where the Aelyrian Empire is based. Kattaria was established after a third of all katta were exiled from the Empire back around 9800 - so roughly 450 eras ago. There has been little to no contact with Kattaria since then, except for the very recent arrival of delegates from Kattaria in Aelyria Prime an era and a half ago.

So, for a RL analogy, think of the settlers from Europe going to America centuries ago, but twist it so that there's been no contact since then. Therefore it's possible that there are distant relatives of Kavene in Kattaria, established in a bloodline from exiled Katta. It could also be possible that one of the delegates from Kattaria is distantly related to Kavene. If you want to pursue this storyline, I'd recommend reading this world forge article on Kattaria although I should point out that none of what is in that article has been approved as Lore in the Compendium. However, you're welcome to dip into there to help move this article forward so that something is finalised as Lore. Even so, this knowledge would not be common knowledge because of the little contact between the nations of Aelyria and Kattaria.

Any starting PC who begins as a katta from kattaria would likely required permission from the directorate and for help with establishing their background. As Kattaria is not a playable nation at the moment, it's likely that this may be refused until the history of Kattaria is established as Lore.

I hope this helps!
Old November 30, 2007, 04:45 AM   #20
Duvel
Former Staff

Duvel is a benevolent Adventurer
No restrictions on starting a family. All you need to do is find people interested in joining it

Edit: completely missed that second page O.o
Old December 1, 2007, 05:00 AM   #21
Susan
Former Staff

*pats Duvel*

I still appreciate you
Old December 11, 2007, 02:48 AM   #22
Rioshi

Luminary

Rioshi is an upstanding Citizen
Sorry to bother you but... since Keldon has been retired, shouldn't there be a notice on his post in the matchmaker forum? It might be that most new players might not know he has left Aelyria for a while....

Robert Service
Old May 2, 2008, 03:33 PM   #23
Xane
Citizen

Location: None currently, as he owns no property, but he's been staying in Candaceburg and Zinn'Sunn.
Xane is an upstanding Citizen
Where's my thread?
||CIR|| ||SoF|| ||PM me||

Old May 2, 2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Duvel
Former Staff

Fixed. Must have forgotten to add it.
Old December 11, 2008, 03:37 AM   #25
Duvel
Former Staff

Spring cleaning! I cleaned up The Matchmaker Lists and moved everyone that has been inactive for over a month. If mistakes were made, feel free to prod me.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:37 AM   #26
Gardolan
Notable

Gardolan is an upstanding Citizen
http://www.aelyria.com/forums/matchm...ker-lists.html

Active - Gardolan (http://www.aelyria.com/forums/matchm...smugglers.html)

Already found someone to play with? - Cray Dolcimay (http://www.aelyria.com/forums/matchm...direction.html)

Inactive - Surson Surland? (http://www.aelyria.com/forums/matchm...-meetings.html)

Last edited by Gardolan; January 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old January 7, 2010, 01:03 PM   #27
Duvel
Former Staff

I won't be removing people because they had replies, but maybe I'll take another broom sweep at those gathering cobwebs one of these days.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:45 AM   #28
Alexis Sapientia
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious SuperheroAlexis Sapientia is a glorious Superhero
http://www.aelyria.com/forums/palace...er-begins.html

Ducor Navarch Alexis Sapientia, Imperial Navy (Ret.)
[CIR] [Glory of the Conqueror] [SOF]
6/21/2015 - Weekend posting.

"So few have ever accepted the leadership of this land, and survived it." ~ Governor Elanara Al'lende

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: