Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Crown Province of Prime

Old October 7, 2019, 10:20 PM   #31
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Nir'Mmei is an upstanding Citizen
Nir'Mmei stood up when called. She could see the social groups forming among the students who would one day be her piers and possibly superiors or even underlings. Time changed many things and she was not shy about this nor ignorant of the position her family held. Her gaze roamed out over her fellow students as she stood with the regal strength and majesty of her Lionoid blood. A natural leader and warrior.

"I am Nir'Mmei, Daughter of Gaar'Ka, General of The Pride Army, Retired. I was Raised in Candiceburg and three of my mothers are mages. I am currently in my Journey of Passage to claim my place as an adult." Her voice was that which was used to give orders over a battlefield and thus easily heard. When she finished speaking she once more gazed over the students and then nodded to the flitting fea before taking her seat once more.
Old October 9, 2019, 10:46 PM   #32
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Perhaps there would be recognition from some of the students who were of a more military background - still, Nir'Mmei's social "credentials" were lost upon most of them. Regardless, the introduction had been made as requested. The others would introduce themselves in kind. As mages were rare, even this "large" class only consisted of a baker's dozen of students.

Right then. They'd begin with the basics.

So! Magic.

There were two kinds of magic in the world: essence-based spheres, commonly referred to as "arcana", as well as the metaphysical magics. There were further ways to identify magic that broke them down into categories, which intersected between the two previous classifications.

Everybody present was a mage of arcana: Nir'Mmei, for instance, was an elementalist. Others were mystics, sorcerors, druids, thaumaturges, and so on. It was an important distinction to make. While the spheres of arcana all followed the same general rules, the metaphysical magics were incredibly unique and tended to share little with arcana - in fact, they were quite dissimilar among each other as well.

Were there any questions, before they went into a deeper dive on arcana theory specifically? Naturally, as mages of arcana, they'd focus primarily on this.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2019, 12:45 AM   #33
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei Listened to the lecture taking notes on the whole things and thought she understood most of what was said. Thus she had no questions so far.

The handwriting on her parchment was flowing and apparently well-practiced and pleasing to the eye.
Old October 16, 2019, 06:35 PM   #34
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
No questions from Nir'Mmei?

Some other students did have questions, although the katta got the impression that based on what they asked, they were mostly just posturing and trying to show off what they already knew as opposed to actually trying to learn something. At least as far as she went, she didn't really gain anything out of what they asked - and for now, the professor entertained their queries.

Now, diving a bit deeper into arcana in particular. Each sphere was given a quick description. Nir'Mmei learned that elementalism specifically pertained to control over four primary elements: Fire, Water, Air, and Earth, and their various combinations. Each element had its counterpart (fire and water, air and earth), and each element was strong against one and weak against the other (water -> fire -> earth -> air -> water).

And so, as a thought exercise, the professor proposed a thought experiment. Let's say an elementalist created an "attack" spell that combined the elements air and fire, and their opponent created a "defense" spell that used earth. She singled Nir'Mmei out to ask the katta her question. What might Nir'Mmei expect to happen in such a scenario?

Old October 17, 2019, 11:08 PM   #35
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei blinked as she was called on then stood up once more. "The wind effect of the combination spell should be blocked but the heat of the fire spell would partially penetrate. unless its a higher tier combination of fire and air resulting in lightning in which case the earth defense would heat and explode."

having finished her answer she sat back down and watched the teachers' reaction.
Old October 19, 2019, 06:35 PM   #36
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Yes, no, maybe so.

As far as answers went, Nir'Mmei's was particularly well thought out. In truth, it had been something of a trick question, but the katta had taken what she had learned and formulated as good an answer as any. The professor seemed quite happy with that.

In truth, though, the answer was more or less "it depends," and that was something that the teacher wanted to make sure that every student understood, which was why she had asked the question. Magic was a nebulous, difficult thing to pin down exactly. When it came to theory, everything came as a best guess, an educated guess. There were so many different factors that went into magic and spellcasting that it was hard to form a definitive answer - and so when in a situation, whether or not something would work, what effect something might have, how a spell might behave, it all came down to "it depends."

This was something that they were only going to learn on their own, not in a classroom. Experimentation, experience, that was what was going to make them the best mages.

The other spheres were given their time as well, before they moved on to other basics. Mages, of course, cast spells. Spells were powered through vis, something that mages innately built up over time. Before they delved too deeply into that topic, though, the professor took a detour and explained the various ranks that a mage could hold.

As all of the students had just started out, they were initiates, at the very bottom of the hierarchy. Next up were journeymen, then adepts, then masters, and archmages at the very top. The most important thing to note was that the higher rank mage you were, the larger a vis pool you had - and the larger and more complicated a spell, the more vis it would cost. Thus, higher-ranked mages were capable of weaving more intricate and complex spells as a result.

Now, did anybody want to take a guess at what rank their fae professor was at? Go on, don't be shy! It wouldn't be rude if they guessed she was an initiate too!

Old October 19, 2019, 10:43 PM   #37
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Since it was a guess and not a question to a particular person Nir'Mmei said "Journeyman, Since this is an introductory course would be the most common." Her mother had told her once that most teachers in a school for magic were at that level fro the introductory students. Though sometimes an Adepts would teach that level.
Old October 21, 2019, 03:30 AM   #38
Indefinite
Foreboden!

There were a handful who agreed with Nir'Mmei in that the teacher was a journeyman. Most thought she was an adept, and there were even some who thought that she was a master.

Truth be told, she was an adept. But that segued into the next discussion topic.

In the days of old, teachers primarily needed to be masters. Arcana was different then - experts were required to properly impart the spells a mage needed to learn to the new generation. These days, however, it was significantly easier, to the point where an initiate truly could be a teacher if need be. Nearly every single technique that a mage could learn, was learned at the initiative level. This was why it was very important that they used their skills responsibly. Even if they were at the lowest level, there was a great deal of potential that went along with what they were learning.

As initiates they could, of course, cast a spell. But how did one learn a spell? There were two ways. The first was to have the knowledge of a spell imparted by another mage, essentially the transfer of knowledge. The second was to experiment and create the spell on your own. Yes! An initiate could create their own spells! Granted, they were probably going to be unreliable, volatile, and dangerous, but experimentation was more than possible as an initiate. And an initiate could impart spells to another initiate as well! Furthermore, an initiate was capable of unbinding another individual. Just as every single person in this room had undergone the Unbinding ritual, so too could they be the ones to do so to another person.

Once again, there was an emphasis on being responsible. Magic was a dangerous tool if put in dangerous hands. It wasn't wise to simply try and unbind every person that one came across and wanted to be a mage. Imagine being responsible for the next wizard terrorist, for putting magic in the hands of criminals and fiends? The person who did the Unbinding was very much responsible for the mage that resulted in the end, and all their deeds and actions.

With that final warning, the first class on magical theory would be wrapped up for now. Next up for Nir'Mmei? Some more theoretical work - this time, specifically on elementalism.

Old October 22, 2019, 04:17 AM   #39
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei paid attention through the class and was a little surprised but not too much as adept was the second most probable teacher followed by a very unlikely master level.

When that class wrapped up Nir'Mmei reported to her next class on Elementalisim. She was actually having a bit of fun despite some of the snobs and racial bigots. Her dreams were not quenched in the least bit.

She made her way into the lecture room and took a seat as appropriate taking any direction from the teacher if one happened to be present before she arrived.
Old October 24, 2019, 01:36 AM   #40
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Nir'Mmei, it seemed, was going to be alone on this one. None of the other students that were starting out with her were actually elementalists. She would be the only one this term, which meant that it was just her and the professor - a doddering old gnome who had a special talent for speaking in such a way that just seemed to lull the katta towards sleep.

In any case, this was the class for the basic theory of elementalism. Some of it had been covered in the magic theory class, and they wouldn't get to actual spellcasting as that was going to be another class entirely.

They'd start off simple for now, though. What did Nir'Mmei know, if anything, about elementalism? Even if it was just reciting what she'd just learned.

Old October 24, 2019, 04:02 PM   #41
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei Was actually Partially raised by an elementalist so she did have some grounding in the basic theory, however, this school was a true mage school and did not impart just spells. They seemed to want to make sure that you understood the magical theory behind the spells at least at a basic level.

Nri'Mmei kept pinching her leg so that she would not nod off. she knew she would have some bruising in the morning. When the professor asked what she knew about elementalisim. Nir'Mmei smiled and started to speak.

"Elementalisim deals with the four basic forces of nature and physical magics, It can be used to summon Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. Witch is weak against each other in that order with a loop at the end.

Some of the things I have seen with these spells are:

Creation of water to fill a half barrel
Using fire to heat above water
Quickly tilling an area of fields and removing the rocks from the soil.
Creating a breeze on a hot day
Condensing a big hammer of stone.
Shooting Icicles at birds.
Making a wall of dirt. That usually collapses later.
And my favorite, Making cubes of Ice for putting in fruit juice in summer!
Ohh and also Stone over ones fist to add extra damage in Hand to hand."

She did not know that these abilities were actually unconventional uses of effectively basic spells and possibly an original spell as well. or was it just the clever use of a temporarily summoned earth elemental. After all, Nir'Mmei only saw the effects not how they were produced.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:35 AM   #42
Indefinite
Foreboden!

So in other words, Nir'Mmei had plenty of examples of how elementalism could be used. But, did she understand the principles behind why the elements could be used in this way? She had picked up the very basics from the magic theory class: what the elements were, which ones were strong or weak against the others.

Here, though, she would learn the theory behind what sorts of spells were possible as an elementalist. When it came to creating spells, there were four general aspects that all spells could be expected to fall into:

Elemental Shock

Elemental Control

Elemental Summon

Elemental Defense

Elementalism was all about control of the physical world, capable of producing high damage potential and solid defenses, as well as being one of the few spheres capable of summoning creatures from other worlds. The limitations were an inability to produce manipulations or illusions, the prevention of simultaneously using opposing elements (such as water and fire at the same time), that all damage and defense were physical and element-based in nature, and that it was impossible to heal with elementalism in any way.

Before the professor droned on in detail about the four aspects, however, were there any questions?

Old October 26, 2019, 02:11 AM   #43
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

She, of course, had a question but was afraid it would be an advanced spell. "Would it be possible to coat one's fist in say fire and burn an opponent as you claw them? If so what spell would that be and in theory how would it be done?"

Yup, it was a picture of herself she had and one of her driving forces to learn elementalism to combine it perfectly into her martial arts and become a veritable martial god. This, however, was a long term plan and she expected to possibly achieve it before she died of old age if she were lucky.

Other than that she was eager to learn as a beaver was to chew a tree down and build a lodge or dam.
Old October 26, 2019, 04:34 PM   #44
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Whether or not such would be possible could perhaps be determined by a matter of explaining the aspects. At that point, Nir'Mmei could take her own question into further consideration by seeing what aspect it might fall under.

As previously mentioned, there were four overall aspects.

Elemental Shock was the manifestation of the pure power from one of the four elements, sent in its raw form towards its target. The effects would be dependent upon the type of element used. Shooting out a burst of flame, crushing people under an hailstorm of earth, and other such things.

Elemental Control would be utilizing and controlling any of the four elements present in one's latent surroundings. These could be manipulating flames from lanterns, redirecting rivers, forming cyclones, or moving mounds of earth. Combinations of elements could produce, for instance, lightning storms (fire and air), although of course one could not combine opposing elements.

Elemental Summon was admittedly a more advanced sort of aspect, not something that initiates were capable of pulling off, but for the sake of a complete education on magical theory was going to be mentioned regardless. Accessing the primal forces of the universe, an Elementalist can form an Essence Shell in the form of their respective elements and then summon sentient beings to inhabit them. The summon takes on the characteristics and minor abilities of their element, but these were not mindless golems. Elementals could easily be temperamental, and a mage always had to be careful to exert control over them and assure obedience.

Last was Elemental Defense. By manifesting the characteristics of one of the four elements, the Elementalist can defend themselves with that element or against others by using the element's counter element. Air could be 'hardened' around one self to protect against physical blows, for instance. Water could be used to become fireproof or ward against explosions. And naturally, of course, earth was quite hardy and effective in blocking many such things.

So, with these in mind, what did Nir'Mmei think about her own question?

Old October 27, 2019, 01:50 AM   #45
Nir'Mmei
Citizen

Nir'Mmei thought that it was a combination of Control and possibly Shock or Summoning. though she could just use shock provided she timed it just right. Kind of like hitting a guy with a crossbow and pulling the trigger to shoot him too.

She did, however, expect it was journeyman or possibly Adept level magic she was looking for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: