Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Administrate of Centripax

Old August 7, 2020, 11:15 PM   #16
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Were dwarves generally regarded as a patient people?

Was this really what the dwarf had been asking for with his query?

Argon only managed to get part of the way through his rather impressive yarn before the dwarf held up a hand and cut him off. The answer to the questions respectively were 'certainly not this specific dwarf' and 'no.'

"I don't care about most of what you're saying," he noted rather gruffly, his impression of Argon perhaps going down a bit with how many words were apparently needed by the apparent bard to relay the point. Too many irrelevant details.

To be fair, perhaps it was the Ironbreaker's fault for posing the question in such a way. There was a wariness when it came to how Argon had come upon this place, but it wasn't worth standing there and listening to the babble.

"Simply answer me properly, wrap not your answer with flowery nonsense," he continued. "Why are you here and who are you to be of use to us Ironbreakers?"

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 06:00 AM   #17
Argon Shatterskin
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Argon Shatterskin is a famous HeroArgon Shatterskin is a famous Hero
So these were the dwarves of hard work and no play? Well that suited Argon fine. If they were the surly lot then they will definitely be worthy of a passage in the song.

"Well I am Argon of the Clan Shattering" Argon said restating things again in simple terms "I have been a caravan guard for many an era, and an adventure with the scars and transformations to tell the tale"

Argon eluded to his engorged right arm upon which intracte ikosian runes, rumoured to have an unsettling effect on those who dwelt too long on them.

"of use to ye?" Argon restated the question "ye could use me as a guard for yer next shipment and in the meanwhile I can be put to work as a labourer and assistant to ye. I've no experience working the bellows or in blacksmithing but he will find me no stranger to hard work. I will humbly do whatever deed ye need of me, whether it be hauling ore and metal, fighting fer yer clan and yer honour, or if ye prefer I can read over reams of paperwork if yer preference be it."

Argon added one last remark

"perhaps some traveller smoked too much wackey weed and saw the smoke of yer Smithy and claimed a monster be here?" Argon added "but I have come a long way, be a shame not to be of use to ye and to go back aways' with naught benefit. Grant me a chance to do whatever task ye set and I will prove by deed what use I can be. Don't be shy of askin' I'll tackle whatever he think befitting"

He didn't really have much to challenge these dwarves on nor the ability to say much else of his experience but surely these dwarves had some task they felt beneath them or perhaps one they would prefer to risk his life over instead of theirs? Of course they could reject him outright. Argon didn't take too kindly to objection and he would have to consider whether what these dwarves were doing out here was illegal or not then? Well best not to assume wrongdoing without cause. He would have to find out more about them if they did. Perhaps there were other people nearby in a settlement or such that would tell him more of these dwarves if they were so bloody minded.

Ikonomancer, axeman, wall painter in rouge. A 'hero'
Known runes: Brittle, Long, Sharp - each of these are tattoed upon the right oversized arm
Argon Shatterskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2020, 03:55 PM   #18
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Argon provided his answer, but it didn't really seem to fit the question that the Ironbreaker was asking.

Well, the dwarf certainly managed to answer part of the question. Argon of the Clan Shattering, that was something of an introduction at least. It solved the matter of "who are you", and there was a bit that went into the "to be of use" part as well. Some mention of his previous experience, which suggested he was a bit more capable than any other average sort of laborer. A discussion of the sort of thing he might be useful for: mundane work, from the sound of it.

The "why are you here" hadn't seen much in the way of a direct response, lost in the tale that Argon had tried to spin earlier, but it sounded like Argon had just sort of been wandering around and stumbled upon them.

That he immediately wanted a job thereafter was really the strange part of it.

"I'll talk with the others about it when we have the time," the Ironbreaker noted gruffly. Frankly, there was a lot about the situation that he didn't like, having settled that either Argon was suspicious or just a strange sort of person, and not liking either option much. But he didn't seem to be the one to make the ultimate decision, either, so the matter would be tabled for now.

"You're free to observe for now, but don't go touching anything." At the very least, out here, there didn't seem to be anything they didn't want to show him.

Old January 5, 2021, 07:06 PM   #19
Argon Shatterskin
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Argon Shatterskin is a famous HeroArgon Shatterskin is a famous Hero
Well not getting shot at is a win Argon thought to himself

"Aye I can do that" Argon offered deciding not to push his luck with flowery yarns. These were not the people of stories. Truly they were Dwarven yolk and little else.

Still they could serve as an important part of his story. A milestone towards his own greatness. Maybe it would necessitate destroying their anonymity in the future but perhaps it would be better they remained a fanciful people of legend that no one could truly find or ide tidy as the people in Argon's story? A matter for later.

He was now a guest but as a guest he got the gist of having only a modicum of welcome. He would observe, as suggested, but would look at what they were doing and keep an eye out for trouble of all kinds whether it was a dwarf who sprained their ankle, a sudden horde of Orcs travelling on some vengeful mission or a monster of legends picking a fight with these dwarves more interested in keeping to themselves.

He would ask questions perhaps but he realised that if he did they would need to be to the point and not requiring much attention. Instead he gathered what mattered most here was seeing what he can garner with his wits.

They seemed to let him go wherever he could wander at this point and so he tentatively made his way about the place seeing how this particular operation worked. Which dwarves did what job, where things were taken, what needed that fire causing all that smoke etc.

He had his ikosian runes he could use but in honesty it seemed best he didn't flash about even the slightest hint of magic here unless it became absolutely necessary but still he looked about and considered how sharpening something, making it brittle or elongating it could be of use. Truth be told he was clueless but it never heart to apply a mental exercise where possible to everything.

Deciding on remaining silent unless spoken to he took particular interest, after a time, on show as calling the shots and what they were doing. Exactly what industry did they truly employ here? His money was on smithing but was it trinkets, weapons or setting more important than all that? And why did it need so much privacy? True they didn't really hide but they had set up far away from civilisation and as merchant's son he knew that would add to the costs for any client likely to have the money to make all this worth their while... What mystery was there to find out about these cranky working dwarves?

Ikonomancer, axeman, wall painter in rouge. A 'hero'
Known runes: Brittle, Long, Sharp - each of these are tattoed upon the right oversized arm
Argon Shatterskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2021, 06:16 PM   #20
Indefinite
Foreboden!

There was only so much that Argon could glean of what they were doing with his modicum of smithing knowledge. That was to say, it definitely looked like they were doing what he might have thought smiths did - handle metal, put things into forges, smack metal on an anvil with a hammer, and so forth.

These were, he supposed, dwarves who were doing smithing things. There was nothing here that immediately stood out to Argon as being so important as to hole up on a mountain for - for one, they were just letting him watch them work, so it couldn't have been that they were utilizing trade secrets or anything - but who was to say they just didn't like the brisk mountain air and the quiet away from the city?

Well, the longer he looked, the more he was able to absorb. As far as he could tell they didn't actually seem to be too concerned with the making of anything in particular - weapons, trinkets, and so forth. They'd bang together lumps of metal that came out of a forge, take a look at the result, converse among one another. Sometimes they'd seem pleased with the result, other times annoyed. Sometimes it'd be tossed into a pile of refuse, other times it'd be set aside more carefully, still other times it would go back into the forge.

There was a lot of activity, but overall there was a lack of cohesion or coordination. To Argon, it might feel as if everybody was doing their own thing at the moment. No obvious hierarchy to make note of, nobody particularly calling the shots or anything...

In any case, the Ironbreaker that Argon had been talking to would wander around and converse with the others for a bit, before eventually going over and knocking on the door of the workshop. There was a bit of patient waiting but no response that Argon could actually see, and eventually the dwarf came back to Argon.

"We might be able to find a place for ya somewhere, but the Master of the Forge is rather busy at the moment. No telling when he's going to come back out, so it's all in limbo until then," he explained to Argon. "We won't have any real work for ya until it's sorted out... nothing proper, anyway." It seemed like there was a reason the operation around here seemed to involve a fair amount of puttering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: