Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > United Arium Directorate

Old June 4, 2020, 06:38 PM   #1
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Eelahi Moi'baern is unknown and forgotten
[open] if you're drinking to forget, please pay in advance

It had been a while since Eelahi had let herself relax - since her life hadn't revolved around her work, to the exclusion of all else.

The elfess known as Eelahi Moi'baern had been many things in her life - from a daughter to a ranger to a whore - but her current occupation was as a cook, at a rather well respected establishment in the wealthier part of town.

And perhaps that was why she came to places such as these; holes in the wall, tiny taverns in the slums and poorer parts of town, when she wanted to forget.

And forgetting was one thing that she strove for above all else.

How many years had it been, now, since her parents had died? Torn apart by a creature on the fateful night? She couldn't be sure, just as she couldn't be certain how long her body had remained on that cold, hard ground, before life had returned to it's broken form.

Eelahi had been dead - her throat slashed, sent the same way as her parents. But somehow, she had been brought back - she knew that she had seen sights and wonders on the other side of the veil between life and death, she just couldn't remember it.

Not that she truly wanted to. Even the memory of that waking, of finding the bodies of her parents, their home and bodies torn to shreds - even that memory haunted her. Even that memory she wished she could forget.

And what better way to forget, than with copious amounts of alcohol.

There is a Theory which States:

If Anyone ever discovers exactly what the
universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory that this has already happened.

Last edited by Eelahi Moi'baern; June 4, 2020 at 09:17 PM.
Eelahi Moi'baern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Hazudar
Legend

Hazudar is a famous HeroHazudar is a famous HeroHazudar is a famous Hero
Then again, what better way to remember?

Memories... they were all a soul had in these latter days. Hazudar could remember cities on fire, armies on the march, an empire falling and kingdoms rising in its place. Friends, foes, lovers, accomplices... all gone now. Nothing left of them save the battle scars, and ghosts that occasionally came to dwell in the orc's skull, whenever he was in his cups.

A weathered old claw, criss crossed with scars, brought the tankard to Hazudar's lips and he drank deep, rivulets of ale making their way into his grey streaked beard unnoticed.

"Crown for your thoughts, girl." A dirty coin clattered onto whatever surface happened to be in front of the she-elf. The hulking old orc grinned at her, flashing a smile that was all crooked yellow fangs, some missing. His smile was about the only thing visible, the rest of his features masked by gray hair and the old half rotted cloak that hung about him like a shroud.

"It's one thing for washed up old men to drown our sorrows. But you? You ought to be out living, while the living's good."
Hazudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Eelahi was a elf in her prime; in human terms, she would have been considered perhaps 17, 18. Just a girl, really. Young to be on her own, young to be drowning her sorrows in a tavern such as this - in that, Hazudar was correct.

Eelahi leaned against the bear where they sat, side by side, armos crossed to support her weight as she leaned forward in her chair. Though she cast a glance at her new companion from the corner of her eye, she kept her face forward as she attempted to catch the bartender's eye.

"Memories leave scars - not all of them are visible." She commented as she finally managed to wave the bartender down, ordering the cheapest ale they had available. The only ale they had available, as it turned out.

Taking a deep swig of her ale, Eelahi finally turned to face Hazudar. "War and death don't care about your age, your race. Haven't you learned that by now?"

universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory that this has already happened.
Old June 5, 2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Hazudar
Legend

The orc, who was certainly not in his prime, laughed. It was a raw, gravelly sound that trailed into a cough and a wheeze at the end. Years of smoke, hard living and drinking had done a number on Hazudar's windpipe, as had whatever caused that faint scar all the way round his gullet. Rope burn from a failed hanging... if anyone asked, which they rarely did.

"There's much I'se yet to learn, and much I never will," the orc admitted. "One thing I do know, though -- it ain't never too late to make new scars, to cover the old."

Hazudar's yellow eyes flicked to the coin on the table, noting that it remained untouched. This girl could hardly be a native to the slums, or she would've made that Crown vanish before it even touched the counter. Yet the ale she ordered wasn't so lucky -- it'd be gone in an instant if she kept up this pace. Interesting contrast, that.

"Quite the drinker for your age," the old greenskin drawled. "P'raps you'd care to make a game of it? Little thing I picked up from a cether the other day. Goes like this. I ask a question about your past, and if the answer's yes, you drain that mug. If it's no, bottoms up for me. And then it's yer turn to ask. Winner's the one who can stand this piss the longest..." Hazudar grinned and raised his tankard in a mocking toast.

"Unless of course, you've something better to do." Shrugging, the orc cast a pointed glance around the dismal room, with its equally dismal inhabitants.

Last edited by Hazudar; June 5, 2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old June 5, 2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Any other would have grabbed that coin up as quickly as they could - it was true. But Eelahi wasn't nearly as desperate as she had once been, and she was more than willing to admit that there were others who could use the coin more than she. So let them have it - one coin wasn't going to make or break her, after all. And even if all they used it for was more ale - well, she wasn't really one to judge, now was she?

Taking another swallow to finish off her mug, Eelahi gave a nod of her head. "I suppose I can make the time." This was said with an impish grin, as Eelahi motioned for the bartender to once again filll her mug with the same harsh ale. It was what she always drank when she indulged, after all, and she had long since become accustomed to it's harsh taste.

"I shall even let you have the first round, my new friend." As she spoke, Eelahi raised her mug in her companion's direction, her eyes dancing with the promise of mischief.

Old June 5, 2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Hazudar
Legend

The orc nodded slowly, took a swill, let his eyelids settle downward. He paused meditatively, as though considering the ale's taste, but in reality weighing the stranger. The silence stretched on for a while.

"You've killed before," the orc murmured at last. His voice was low, although chances were good no one in this dive would bat an eye even if they heard. The bleary yellow eyes flicked open again, settling on the elf. Not grinning this time, his face was inscrutable.

It was more than a hunch; more like blood calling to blood. The orc -- former assassin, former savage, former drug runner, former pirate -- but through it all a killer of men -- had been wrong about such things before, but rarely.

A weathered green claw came to rest on the handle of his tankard. But for that, the brutish figure was still.

Last edited by Hazudar; June 5, 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old June 5, 2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Eelahi paused in the action of tucking a strand of dark hair behind her ear at the Orc's claim. This ... This was one claim that had not expected.

Honestly, she had expected flirtation. She had exptected questions that would leader her into the orc's bed. It wouldn't have been t he first time she was with an orc, nor the first time one had shown an interest in her. She had, after all, once been nothing more than w prostitute. She knew that one's tastes were not limited to only their own race.

Instead, she raised her own tankard to her lips, swallowing down the liquid there in hungry glumps that left her gasping for breath, as she considered her answer.

"Granted, you failed to specify what I have killed. Man, elf, beast?" It was a comment to buy her time, nothing more, and the smile was now gone from Eelahi's face.

Eelahi turned, now to face Hazudar - though she did not know that was his name. In fact, the two had yet to exchange names at all, real or not.

"You have hated my people." She finally settled on. "Elf kind. You have hunted them." It was a reach, and perhaps a bit racist - but it was the best she had.

At least for now.

Old June 5, 2020, 06:57 PM   #8
Hazudar
Legend

Flirtation would've been the orc's game in a previous life. There had been many women over the years, many bars, and yet not a single face or name that Hazudar could clearly recall. The only thing that remained of them was a burning sensation whenever he made water. It all seemed like a waste of time and energy now; such were the ravages of age.

"Hunted, yes, but hated? Mmm. Strong word." The lumbering brute reflected calmly. "I did some for coin, some for sport, and some to survive. Strange enough, I've never killed for hate. They say hate is close to love. I ain't never felt either... 'cept for a friend, and them I don't kill."

Hazudar shrugged suddenly. "Close enough, though. I've always thought elves were tossers." Eyes glinting, a not-unfriendly sneer crossed his lips, and he downed his ale. Again, trickles of the stuff wound through his beard. A belch escaped the orc's lips before he called for another round.

Once the drinks were served, he continued, dropping back into a low voice: "You've never loved. Never man, never elf, never beast. Though I'd wager you've lain with all three..." Again, Hazudar's fangs bared in a crooked sneer. There was little real malice in it, but the orc did enjoy a good barb now and then.

Last edited by Hazudar; June 5, 2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old June 7, 2020, 04:17 AM   #9
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Eelahi gave a burst of laughter. "Close enough, I suppose." She raised her mug in a salute, but stopped just short of drinking. "I have loved, if one can consider family. But I have never known the love of a man - or woman. And I certainly haven't bedded them." A look of distaste crossed Eelahi's features at the very idea.

Still, she brought her mug to her lips and drank, full and deep, wiping at her lips and chin to remove the excess that had lingered there.

She took a moment, now, to consider the orc in more detail. She struggled to make assumptions, to guess at what the orc's life may have been, before he had come to be here. She had never been good at reading people.

"Morality has never stopped you, from making coin. You might have loved, but never deeply enough to hold you to an ideal, a moral code."

Old June 9, 2020, 11:37 PM   #10
Hazudar
Legend

She's playing to lose, the old brute thought approvingly, as he watched the stranger down her second ale in as many minutes. As small and young and distinctly non-orcish as she was, she'd soon be drunk. Hazudar envied her that. The famed orcish constitution was a blessing in most circumstances, but it meant he'd need an entire keg of this human swill to feel what the girl was feeling.

A pause to consider her latest gambit, then: "Drink."

The brute took a few gulps of his own, considering his next words. Finally: "I've lied, cheated and stole, but th' coin was always an afterthought. I told meself it were the girls and the fame, but no. The thrill. That was what I was after." Hazudar allowed himself a bitter laugh, which trailed into another rasping cough. "Scarce matters. None of it lasts, anyhow."

"As for me morals... I don't do betrayal. We'll leave it at that."

The orc rubbed his chin for a time, considering. Eventually, a purse full of Crowns appeared in front of the she-elf -- slid so deftly across the counter that it was as if they had appeared by magic. Hazudar had been in the drug trade for years, and it still showed at times.

"Leave aside the game for a minute. Speaking of coin, how would you like to earn some?"

Last edited by Hazudar; June 9, 2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old June 10, 2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Eelahi Moi'baern
Notable

Eelahi rose a delicate eyebrow as she studied the coin in front of her. Coin - and wealth - had never been a large consideration for her. She had been raised away from civilization as a whole, in the life of a ranger, like her parents before her. What they ate, they hunted and foraged themselves. What they wore, they skinned from animals and sewed with bone needles and gut thread. Where they lived, they had built with their own hands. Wealth was a concept she had rarely encountered, until after their deaths.

Their deaths. The entire reason she was here in the first place. Everything led back to that. Even living a life as different from theirs as she could possibly get, she could not escape the comparisons.

"Wealth. It's always the greatest sin, the greatest tragedy. The driving force behind so much evil, isn't it?" Eelahi drowned the last of her ale, finally beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol. Signalling for the bartender, she ordered another round, even as she privately considered switching to something harder. Perhaps for the next round.

"What shall you tempt me with, then?" Eelahi turned her body slightly in her chair, giving more of her attention to her companion.

Old June 10, 2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Hazudar
Legend

"You're no fan of money, that's fer sure," the orc noted dryly. A typical slum rat might turn her nose up at a single Crown, for pride's sake if nothing else. But the amount Hazudar had just offered would've made even a well-to-do lady's head turn. Even for an elf, this one was odd.

"But no, I wouldn't call it the root of evil. If men weren't slitting each other's throats over coin, it'd be women, or honor, or some other damn fool thing." The orc shrugged, then delicately reached over and retrieved the purse. No sense leaving it out for the cutthroats and thieves to salivate over. That might start a brawl, which might lead to murder, which might lead to a dramatic rooftop chase scene, and Hazudar just wasn't up for all that trouble at this late hour. His old bones were complaining just at the thought of it.

"If you're after something money can't buy... well, procurin' such as that ain't so easy. Still... might be I can offer a glimpse." While he spoke, the orc slowly and contemplatively withdrew a pipe and began stuffing it. There was a spark of flint, and within moments Hazudar was puffing away.

After a smoke-filled moment or two, he lazily extended his claw, putting the pipe within the girl's reach. His eyes met hers, opaque and rheumy and far away. "Wyrmquest, they call this. Breathe deep, and with the right thoughts, the right memories, ye can go wherever you want... see whoever you're missin'... be anything you like. Or just not be anything."

"'course, it's never long enough. And when it passes, things get dark for a time. But whatever yer lookin' for at the bottom of that mug, this'll give it to ya in spades." Already, Hazudar's words were beginning to slow down, to blend together in strange ways. Something was beginning to bleed into the world, much like the colors and sounds of arcane clarity, but where the former merely expanded the mind's eye, this expanded the mind itself. Whatever was in the pipe was freedom - sweeping away sense and leaving only sensation, raw experience without the limits of coherence. You could relive your memories with the aid of this stuff - hell, you could relive someone else's. You could experience things you only wished would happen... things that never would, things that never could.

"Smoke, and then we'll talk about what ye can do for me."

Last edited by Hazudar; June 10, 2020 at 09:34 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: