Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Welcome

Old May 20, 2019, 06:12 AM   #1
Gwynelda Moonbarrow
Citizen

Gwynelda Moonbarrow is an upstanding Citizen
Serale

A returning player is here - new character, new start. Once upon a time this game was giving me much fun - roleplaying, getting new friends. At some point I was overhelmed with RL job and person issues, had very small free time and no creative spark within. So i quit... Made a few attempts to get back and not sure if this one will work too. Who knows...

I have to admit - I'm a bit overhelmed with currect state of the forums. I wasn't able to see some articles, needed to expand my character concept from "a ratta lady" to something more detailed. And to mention that I wasn't writing anything fantasy related for a decade, and I haven't used english (aside occasional reading) seriously for a few years too. So I feel numb and dumb.

But not trying means that I can miss a very good chance to have some fun. Very likely my first posts will be short and awkward, and I can only hope that people will be not be throwing rotten tomatoes at me. Anyway - before I start writing my character concepts into more detailed story, I need to get some details first.

By the way - any suggestions on starting city? New player friendly and it should be neutral to Ratta, as I'm not sure that I'll be able to effectively write her actions in life threatening situation.
Gwynelda Moonbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Justinian
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Justinian is an upstanding Citizen
Welcome back! Don't worry too much about being awkward at all, im sure you will be just fine and a pleasure to RP with If there is anything specific you need help looking up or any questions you have, please feel free to ask!

As for starting cities, there is an emphisis on peer moderation now, and the official GMs are very flexible about where they can moderate a story for you, so the choice is really up to you as best suits your character. I know that Ziel Aerca in the province of Moonstone has an in-game reputation for being very forward thinking and accepting of all walks of life, so im sure a Ratta wouldn't have much trouble there. Aelyria Prime is another option, because the capital is home to a very diverse population and really anyone could call it home. Really though, there is a much more relaxed attitude to your character's location (so long as you remain within a reasonable scope of travel and fluid time constraints), so pick a place that works best for your character concept and feel free to expand from there.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome back again!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Welcome back! It's true, the site's in a bit of a rough shape at the moment, but we do still have our unofficial Discord server up and running. Feel free to jump in, chat with other players, and ask any questions you might have.

Depending on how long ago you last played, there's a lot that's changed, and while we used to have a handy wiki category for this sort of thing, it's not been fixed by Kaelon yet. For now, I've found some of the articles that I remember being rather relevant:

A guide to starting packages: http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122091
A guide to wealth and poverty: http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122094
A primer to skills: http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122130
A primer to trades: http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122068
Recent events: http://www.aelyria.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122170

I'd say in terms of player activity, Ziel Aerca and Port Alyxandrya are likely the best places to start - plus, as Justinian mentioned, the former is most definitely neutral towards rodenti in general.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Moss Oktra'rek
Champion

Moss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious Superhero
Welcome home! It's always great to see a former player return to the fold. Many people here can share a similar story.

Yes, a lot has changed, so it might take some getting used to, but most of the changes that I've personally had to adjust to have been positive ones.

Don't worry about being rusty. It's definitely best to jump in and feel your way as you go.

On top of the great links already provided, the Lorebook is still functioning - a great source of information, as long as you know what topics you want to search for!

And yeah, the forums don't look too good right now. That's because this happened. But the engine is still turning over, so the adventures continue while Kaelon tries to pop out the dents in the bodywork!

Competition: Win a month of Companionship here!
Moss Oktra'rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Calanon
HyperboliCal

Wealth Tier: Steel
Calanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious Superhero
Welcome back.

Plus what everyone else said.

Muse is throwing a sickie. Please bear with and excuse my shoddy efforts in the meantime
CIR
Secrets
Calanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Hoskuld Coal-beard
Shields are *still* yummy

Hoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous Hero
Welcome, old player with a new character! Yes, it can be very disorienting if you've been gone a while.

As to starting city, I would select one that doesn't require too much walking around on your one foot.

"What do you mean, 'one foot'"? you probably ask.

A good question. I mean this.

*chops off foot*
Old May 21, 2019, 08:55 AM   #7
Rothgar
The Watcher

Rothgar is a malevolent Minion
Welcome! Can honestly say rather exicted to see the that race being played!
Old May 22, 2019, 04:41 AM   #8
Argon Shatterskin
Luminary

Argon Shatterskin is a benevolent AdventurerArgon Shatterskin is a benevolent Adventurer
Welcome back! This guise of mine will not be familiar as i never used it as an alias anywhere but in game.

I went and still go by Jarradium these days!
I remember going through the on again off again issues trying to get back into the game and RL can be seriously draining!

Still its great to have you back and playing a interesting character no less

Ikonomancer, axeman, wall painter in rouge. A 'hero'
Known runes: Brittle, Long, Sharp - each of these are tattoed upon the right oversized arm
Argon Shatterskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Gwynelda Moonbarrow
Citizen

Thank you for all suggestions. Ziel Aerca seemes to be the best choice for me at the moment. I looked through the city and found it quite busy with a lot of interesing action going on. As far as I understand situation, GMs are not assigned to particular city anymore? In such situation whom I should ask about starting details (like work and house). Or I should post in help desk on this matter?
Old May 22, 2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Gwynelda Moonbarrow
Citizen

And Hoskuld - if you'll chop off my foot, I'll use you as supprt and walking stick.

You are just right in height for that. "evil grin"
Old May 22, 2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynelda Moonbarrow View Post
Thank you for all suggestions. Ziel Aerca seemes to be the best choice for me at the moment. I looked through the city and found it quite busy with a lot of interesing action going on. As far as I understand situation, GMs are not assigned to particular city anymore? In such situation whom I should ask about starting details (like work and house). Or I should post in help desk on this matter?
So long as you follow the guide to starting packages then you don't strictly need GM approval for that sort of thing.

However, if you prefer some manner of approval, then you can probably PM any moderator (Masters [Blue] or Directors [Purple]) and it won't be an issue.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2019, 05:30 PM   #12
Veleraen
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Veleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious SuperheroVeleraen is a glorious Superhero
Welcome back to Aelyria, Gwynelda!

Cheers,
Veleraen

SoF

RL Update (May 2019) - Am finishing up a couple of threads and then retiring for the foreseeable future. I will still lurk but after this, I'm done.

Veleraen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae
Crazy Hunchback Litterbug

Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
Welcome back!
Old June 5, 2019, 07:07 PM   #14
Rushnak Orog
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Rushnak Orog is an upstanding Citizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon Shatterskin View Post
Welcome back! This guise of mine will not be familiar as i never used it as an alias anywhere but in game.

I went and still go by Jarradium these days!
I remember going through the on again off again issues trying to get back into the game and RL can be seriously draining!

Still its great to have you back and playing a interesting character no less
Jarradium!! I thought perhaps I remembered you from back then. I went by Flame for a while before my entire life changed and I, as with so many, had to leave.

Rushnak Orog Character Information
Read the Orkish Culture Primer
Visit my Peer Mod Office
Rushnak Orog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2019, 11:53 PM   #15
Niven
Dilettante Druid

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero
Welcome back!

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 5 + 2
Posting Status: Sporadic at best
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote