Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > Beyond the Empire > Other Lands & Protectorates

Old May 18, 2019, 12:13 PM   #46
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Vireylda

Over towards the civilians!

The shadow elf got rather lucky with her choice. It wouldn't have been too surprising if they'd been part of the resistance and immediately moved to attack her men. While most of them seemed wary of the approaching soldiers, a few of them were willing enough to come towards them and make Vireylda aware of the problem.

A hospital had gone up in flames. These people weren't running away, they were doing their best to find nearby wells, get water, and do some firefighting. That, and seek help from others to assist in doing the same.

Eri'lariel

A whirlwind of activity. Mira had a numerous forms laid out in front of her depicting the manor and where the soldiers had been posted, using a variety of objects to symbolize groups of soldiers. She had somebody bring over two combs to represent the advancing enemy - shifting pieces around the board to ensure maximum protection from all angles, focusing on the directions the enemy were coming from.

The bows they had slowed the enemy advance as they came together and used their shields, but it also delayed them long enough for Eri'lariel to begin snuffing out their flames. That did seem to confuse them by quite a bit, and it seemed they stalled for a while as they tried to figure out what, exactly, they were supposed to do next.

A burst of flame tore through their ranks next, and the shields couldn't quite protect against that - mitigating the damage here and there, but for the most part, it punched through quite well. That made them scatter and panic quite a bit. Even professional soldiers were unnerved by obvious magic.

"Captain!" A runner had come up from Mira. "The lieutenant wants to know whether you want us to focus on protecting the manor, or whether we should sally forth!"

Were they merely going to guard, or were they going to task themselves with routing and destroying the enemy? The enemy were in disarray...

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019, 10:02 AM   #47
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Wealth Tier: Steel
Vireylda Saharn is an infamous Villain
Oh alright. That was bad.

Damage control then.

" How many patients are in the hospital? Have you been able to evacuate them?" She looked to half of her men. "See what you can do to help with the firefighting. Buckets, wells. We need to get the fire out."

She would also attempt to wrangle some manner of order in the firefighting efforts. Those who were stronger cpuld carry more buckets while the weaker individuals could fill them and have them ready.

There wasnt anyone directing the efforts, was there?

In the pursuit of knowledge, nothing is forbidden.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Voted Best Neutral PC in the Aelyria Awards 2016
Posting status: Catching up (apologies for the delay)
Vireylda Saharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019, 10:44 PM   #48
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae
Crazy Hunchback Litterbug

Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
Her tactic had worked more effectively than she had anticipated and it brought an uncharacteristic surge of pride to the uniformed Juive'lea. There was a sadistic glee in seeing the battle-hardened soldiers scatter under her return fire. Eri's head snapped around to face the messenger, pulling her attention away from the fray.

Stay or go?

Her gaze swiveled back to the attackers. Her primary missive was to defend the mansion, but she couldn't give them a chance to regroup. There would be no chance to catch them off- guard and deal a blow to both their morale and their forces.

"Go. Hammer and anvil. Now, while they're disorganized. Send troupes to flank them. I'll keep them distracted."

With that, she turned her attention back to her work. Instead of one large flamethrower, Eri began sending small darts of flame, just enough to keep their attention on dodging sparks while Mira prepared to engage. The first sign of friendlies, and she would revert to watching for openings and additional dangers.
Old June 2, 2019, 02:42 AM   #49
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
Vireylda

Nobody had a definite number for Vireylda. It didn't seem like there were any staff from the hospital present among the civilians. All they really knew was that the building was burning, and that building was the hospital.

Neither did they know if the patients had been evacuated. It was likely some had stayed behind to try and help, but the ones here had quickly left to try and find firefighting materials or otherwise seek out help. They weren't sure what the situation back on scene would be.

Nobody was in charge, so it seemed like that responsibility fell on Vireylda. A fair number of her men were a little wary of the civilians - enemies, technically - but if nothing else they were capable of following orders. Some participated in the search for water containers and water sources that they'd need. This wasn't going to be easy, but the process began to get underway, with chains being formed to get the water where it needed to go.

While some of the civilians decided to do their own thing, a portion also seemed ready to listen to the shadow elf.

The rest of her soldiers, unassigned, waited for further orders.

Eri'lariel

Hammer and anvil it was.

Mira had already formed up the men. Well, okay, it'd take a while for the runner to actually deliver the message from Eri'lariel. In the meantime, the winged elf took to harassing the enemy from afar, although her smaller darts were somewhat less effective. Their shields were far more useful at protecting them against such attacks.

It didn't seem like the enemy was capable of coming up with a plan before Mira was ready, however. Prepared forces surged out from the front, purposely small in size to make the enemy feel confident in engaging. Then, while the melee began, and the lines were drawn? Subsequent forces began to come out of the manor's side entrances, aiming to flank the enemy and smash them like a hammer on the anvil of the main line.

But it wasn't as if the enemy had thrown everything into this one attack, either. Eri'lariel could see movement in several areas surrounding the manor. Glimpses of people, darting through alleys, jumping over fences, sprinting through yards.

Civilian guerrillas, from the look of it, looking to harangue the allied reinforcements - soldiers who were liable to march in formation and stick to established roads and paths. That might stymie the attempted hammer-anvil, as the guerrillas had insinuated themselves at several points along the (admittedly not particularly long) route.

All in all it didn't seem like there were too many of them, but any delay made things harder for the front line attempting to hold.

Old June 17, 2019, 09:21 AM   #50
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Okay then. Well that makes it difficult. She allowed herself to have a moment of pity for herself in her head, and then shook it off. People were going to die if she didn't get it together.

Alright, first things first. Effieciency. She scanned the chaos that she would need to turn into order. Was the chain as efficient as it could be? Were people bumbling around into each other in panic? Were they on the verge of panic? Anything that could disrupt the chain, she'd need to take care of.

Further, she caught the distrustful eyes of her men. Vree wrinkled her nose in distaste and addressed them. "I know we're technically enemies to these people, but to let them burn because of that is not acceptable. Enemies does not mean we have to act like animals. We have honor, and in helping them it'll garner some amount of goodwill for our troops. At least among some of the civilians, and cut down on attacks against us." Her eyes flicked to the burning building, then back to her men and the civilians waiting to help.

"The strongest among you, I want you to be the ones carrying the water. More the better. The weaker ones can fill the containers. We need more, and we need them fast." She looked to the fire, her mouth compressing into a grim line. "If anyone is still in there, we need to go in and search for them once the fire is more under control. Whichever ones are going in, rip off pieces of your clothing and tie them around your mouth. You won't choke from smoke inhalation. Stay low to the ground if you can, because smoke rises."

Vireylda looked to the gathered, and looked at the civilians. "If you have neighbors that can help. Friends of neighbors. Colleagues. Whoever might be able to help with this, go get them. More people means more water. Tell them to bring buckets, helmets, whatever might help. Do you have any prepared response team for fires in the first place?"

Someone needed to go in that building and start search and rescue. Was the fire at all diminished so she could do that?

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old June 17, 2019, 03:52 PM   #51
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae

Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
As the scene unfolded, Eri'lariel cursed herself for knowing what to do. Of all of the reading she had done, none of it had been on war and tactics. Motito had talked to her into the wee hours of the brightening on politics and religion and arcana, but never on battle formations. Why hadn't she gone into this better prepared?

Orders had been given in good faith but as she watched, she realized it wouldn't be as simple as she had anticipated. Her attempts to distract and discombobulate weren't as effective as she had hoped, though not altogether a waste. It would have to just run its course. That didn't mean she couldn't help out.

Once again Eri'lariel launched herself off of the balcony, her sword drawn. Flying over the grounds, she would harry the enemy from above, dodging and retreating to attack another geurrilla onslaught. It wouldn't turn the tide, but it might make the odds evener.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:14 AM   #52
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Vireylda

The chain was by no means efficient.

Her soldiers were doing a fair enough job of it, the issue was primarily the civilians. There were some who were holding up in the face of the stress of the situation. Others were well-meaning but definitely significantly hindered by being in such a high pressure situation. Still others were at the point where their 'assistance' was probably actively making things worse for the others.

In any case, Vireylda continued to try and take control of the situation. It wasn't just her at the top and all of her subordinates underneath her - command structures existed in tiers. She gave the general commands and the officers underneath her began to delegate and split responsibilities to align with what she had said. People were quickly split into water carriers and water fillers. Groups were quickly selected to determine who would be wading into the burning building itself, and preparations were made to ready them.

Some of the officers pulled aside the less 'useful' civilians to 'persuade' them to do what Vireylda had said. The more capable hands were, for the most part, kept on site to help with the actual firefighting. While the city was supposed to have fire fighting workers? Honestly, at this point, who knew where they were. It was unlikely any civil organizations were functional at this point.

With firefighting efforts only really beginning, it seemed like it would take some time before the raging fire was at a point where they could safely begin search and rescue. At least for certain sections of the building. From what she could see, it had originated along the right side, likely the bottom corner, and spread from there. Spreading in every direction, about a third of it was in flame at the moment. Theoretically, they could make their way through the left side of the building partially undeterred.

Eri'lariel

The effectiveness of Eri'lariel's dive bombing was questionable. Ultimately she was just a single individual, and there was only so much that could be done in a short span of time.

On the plus side? She wasn't diving into a solid bloc of enemy hostiles - they were split out into enemy groups, which made it easier and safer for her to dip and dive into their formations. Her actions had greater impact than if she were trying to take on an entire army on her own.

Second? Her actions informed her soldiers that there was, well, something there. Presumably their commander wasn't just terrorizing somebody's petunias. The enemy had lost the advantage of surprise, and when guerrilla tactics tended to rely quite heavily on such? It massively reduced their effectiveness. Their goal, however, remained the same. They wanted to be a distraction and hold off the reinforcements for as long as possible. The job was just... more dangerous now.

They surged forward all the same, crashing into the prepared line of soldiers. Eri'lariel's troops wouldn't be caught off guard but all the same, they still had enemies to deal with now, and that meant they weren't advancing to reinforce the center. Not good for the troops trying to hold there.

But communication was a key part of the battlefield.

"CAPTAIN!" a soldier shouted from one of the window manors. Information could be gathered from scouts, sent to the people inside, tactics could be drawn up, and runners could be sent to shout out commands. Already, Eri'lariel's presence was being factored in as well. If she was unsure what to do, then she could always consider the input from her subordinates.

"IF YOU CAN PROVIDE STRONG ASSISTANCE TO THE SIDES, ENOUGH SOLDIERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE DIVERTED TO THE FRONT!" Because the soldiers knew the enemy were there and were able to prepare themselves, they were able to hold here. They didn't need to commit everybody - enough of them should be able to be the hammer and continue forward. Eri'lariel could help swing momentum enough in their favor to allow troops to be diverted elsewhere.

Old June 20, 2019, 05:16 PM   #53
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae

It wasn't perfect, but it gave Eri'lariel something to do. She couldn't stand back and send soldiers into a war that she wasn't willing to wage herself. Everything about this felt like she was wearing someone else's shoes - ones that didn't fit her very well... and maybe were on the wrong feet to boot. But it was something. She was going to have to tell Motito about this.

Eri'lariel's head came up when she heard her name shouted. Well, not her name precisely, but clearly they wanted her attention. Her gaze followed to where the soldier indicated and she nodded in his direction. Aid the sides. She could do that.

Her wings spread, stopping her dive up short. Strong assistance to the sides came in the form of elemental spikes first to one side and then the other, setting off spikes of air to push the marauders back and protect her army's flanks.
Old June 25, 2019, 09:48 PM   #54
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Ugh. Alright then. Seems she had done what she could to organize efforts. Vireylda gestured to one of her more trusted officers, and informed them to keep the efforts going. Then she checked the building. One area seemed less, well, on fire? She would grab a few capable soliders and attempt to breach the building's left side, to try and see if she could start search and rescue. Her mouth and nose were covered, and she tried to stay low so the smoke wouldn't blind her. Vree instructed the others to do the same.

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old July 1, 2019, 06:56 PM   #55
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Eri'lariel

Some things were worth remembering, even if they were hard to normally.

Magic! Magic, magic, magic. There wasn't exactly much that a normal soldier could do against those. There was a reason that the loss of the Imperial Mages in Sherian had been such a problem for the Legions in the aftermath of the Civil War. Well, that and the penchant for commanders to have the entirety of their tactics books be 1) Charge! and 2) CHAAAAAAAARGE!

Eri'lariel achieved significant disruption among enemy lines, and even if she couldn't just mow down the enemy, she was capable of breaking up their lines, disturbing their ranks, hindering their combat effectiveness. The tempo of battle swung, and Eri'lariel's soldiers seized the momentum.

It was the domino effect that had been requested, as reinforcements were free to move back towards the front. It was up to Eri'lariel to decide where she wanted to go: to assist at the front, or to continue to work here at the flanks. It didn't seem like her presence was strictly being requested anywhere by those inside the manor quite yet.

Vireylda

They'd keep it up here while the shadow elf tended to matters elsewhere.

A squad would go with Vireylda, and another squad would be their backup as they went into the building. Any more, and it'd just get crowded and dangerous. They'd take what measures they could to try and reduce the effect the smoke would have on them, and began to move out.

Most of the hospital was unoccupied. After all, anybody who could move obviously wasn't going to stick around when it came to the fire, after all. It was after a bit of moving around that they finally found some individuals - not a good thing, of course, it would have been better if everybody had gotten out already.

From the look of things, some of the staff had stayed behind to try and move behind those patients who didn't have the power to on their own. The elderly, the very young, the very ill. It was slow moving, though, and worse, there was a language gap. Neither side could understand each other, and the immediate reaction from the staff - well, actually, it seemed like they were yelling at Vireylda and her soldiers to come help.

So at least it wasn't hostile.

Old July 3, 2019, 09:41 PM   #56
Adynirach
Champion

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero
Adyn continued to urge the retreat until they had managed to funnel back through the entrance. He didn't have time to check for the second group now that he knew the citizenry was hostile. Feth me, growled his inner voice as he fought to catch his breath from his hunched position behind an allied shield. He was drenched in sweat and tired by now, and in dire need of alcohol.

"Warning shots!" he called to the archers up high, but he suspected they might not be enough. Something at the feet to keep them wary, or aimed at the limbs rather than the vitals. But his men knew that if base camp was at risk they'd have no choice but to respond with more aggression - and if that was what it took, then so be it. Perhaps a death or two would make the attackers rethink the strategy they had formed.

His sword still drawn, Adyn stood near the entryway of the passage they'd taken further into the city. At least here, where there was some sort of bottleneck, their position was defensible.

"I want soldiers on high alert at the other entry points," he told someone nearby. If the word hadn't gotten around by now, it would soon enough. The last thing he wanted was to be overrun by other mobs from another direction.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019, 09:04 AM   #57
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae

With her success at defending her army's flanks assured, Eri'lariel once again flapped her great wings and propelled herself upward. As the commander, she knew it was her job to ensure that she had the big picture for the battle. While she was tempted to go to the front and stand shoulder to shoulder with her men, shouting encouragement as they battled the foe together, it was more important for the leadership of an army to remain safely at a distance.

She put distance between herself and the ground, stopping when she was out of the range of arrows. Fires had been scattered across the city and Eri' was determined to ensure they didn't reach her men and the mansion she was defending. From her eagle-eye view, she would scan the city in general, while keeping an eye to the battle below her. Her men's safety was her primary concern.
Old July 10, 2019, 11:59 AM   #58
Vireylda Saharn
Necromancer Of Light

Come help? Well yeah, that was pretty universal. She would order her soldiers to help however they could. While also keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. They were technically the enemy force. She would ask herself how to best help. Hopefully gestures would communicate that?

CIR| SoF
Red
rep is preferred
Old July 17, 2019, 12:33 PM   #59
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Adynirach

Warning shots it would be. Adynirach was quite kind. The soldiers would do their best not to shoot to kill, and it did seem to have the desired effect. People were a lot less brave when they realized that it was entirely possible that they could get hurt - or far worse.

There was a point where it was hard to say whether that would simply infuriate and drive them on more or help things cool off, but eventually it seemed to tip a bit more towards the latter. The civilians weren't dispersing, but at the moment Adynirach didn't seem to have to worry about having a mob about to storm his soldiers. They were still there, though, shouting insults and occasionally lobbing something in their direction.

A chance to breath and consider their situation, then. Tensions were high but the situation was... manageable, one could say. Somewhat. That didn't last long.

One of Adynirach's subordinates quickly hurried up to him. "You'll want to come quickly with me, sir," he gasped, out of breath after having sprinted over. "Just in time. Some of the civvies who worked here - the men are about to lynch them. Caught 'em trying to poison the food."

Eri'lariel

Some of those fires were really burning. The problem was that when faced with a fire, and faced with somebody trying to stab you, the latter tended to take a bit of priority. With the armed uprisings that had occurred throughout the city, there were some areas where there just wasn't anybody available to actually tackle the problem of putting out the rapidly growing infernos - civilian, military, or otherwise.

For now, none of them seemed to be a threat to Eri'lariel and her soldiers. That could easily change if the matter was left unchecked, however.

In regards to more immediate threats, Eri'lariel could see that the situation seemed to be under control. There had been a vast swing of momentum in her soldiers' favor, and her professional army was sweeping aside the more unorganized insurgents - even if they too had been soldiers, they were not an army now. The enemy were fleeing or surrendering, and it seemed like the matter would be resolved in just a few moments.

Vireylda

It really was rather simple. How could Vireylda and the soldiers help? By helping move people, of course. Some of the easier matters revolved around assisting elderly individuals who couldn't move so fast, but the more difficult matters had to do with those who were bedridden and couldn't move at all.

Vireylda and the others would need to figure out among themselves how best to do it. There came a point where, really, just carrying people out might be the best. They were short on time and there was more hospital to cover, after all. But at the same time they had to be careful due to the delicate health of some of the patients involved.

It was time-consuming. And every moment they spent here, the rest of the hospital burned. What was going to be the priority for Vireylda's time? Helping those she'd already found, or trying to find others who might be even worse off?

Old August 16, 2019, 06:56 PM   #60
Adynirach
Champion

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero
Adyn's brow furrowed more and more as the crowd continued to bitch at them from beyond the encampment. He helped to drive a few of them back with some well-placed arrows here and there, but it was getting harder to waste said arrows on what seemed such a futile cause. He was about to let his aim veer a little further upward when one of his men called out to him.

He cocked an eyebrow at the soldier, his arms dropping somewhat as he considered this new situation. Lovely. Just lovely. Well, it was bound to happen. He just wished it hadn't been so damn soon.

He gave a swift jerk of a nod to the messenger before turning briefly to one of his other subordinates nearby. "Start using lethal force if you have to," he growled. Without waiting for an answer he spun on his heel and followed after the first man.

Depending on the circumstances, he might not have had an issue with the lynching. But who had instigated it and how they'd gone about it were important factors to consider. The last thing he needed was people undermining his authority the moment he'd stepped out for a walk. Had everyone just lost their damned minds?
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: