Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > Beyond the Empire > Other Lands & Protectorates

Old May 12, 2019, 06:44 PM   #1
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
[???] Looking At The White Veil Falling [WO, Straylor]

???, Era ??? P.F.

Wandering.

Lost.

Confused.

-----

The moon was a strange place. Or at least, this particular moon was - there were multiple of them, after all. Really, what could be stranger than a massive ball in the sky? It wasn't a twinkling star. It wasn't a giant glowing sun. It was just... kind of there.

And at some point people had decided to go onto it. All you had to do was go high enough to get there, right? It didn't seem all that difficult in theory. And it had most certainly been accomplished.

It was just, the fall back was really quite long. How did one return from the moon? Good question. One, it seemed, that certain occupants of the moon hadn't been able to answer.

-----

How much time had passed? It was hard to say. Yet, Straylor and White Owl had both managed to not die. It felt like it had been a long time, an extremely long time, longer than should have been possible. It felt like both should have died quietly from starvation - or perhaps dehydration was the bigger concern - and yet, life continued onward. If it could be called that. It felt more like they were in prison, where there was nothing to do for most of the time. Endless stretches of barren land, just waiting to be slogged through, and that seemed to be all there was to do.

-----

Much time passed. But today (were there days on the moon?) was different. Today, something changed.

Today, the wanderers met each other. The circumstances of their departure were faraway memories. Besides knowing that they had come to the moon together, the rest all seemed to have faded away. But while each had been a lone wanderer for who knew how long, it seemed that fate had allowed them to meet each other once more.

It was something, at least. White Owl and Straylor, the dynamic duo. Together, they'd...

...at least no longer be alone on the moon.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 02:54 PM   #2
White Owl
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
White Owl is a benevolent Adventurer
It always started, with something small.

A sound?

A feeling?

The stirrings of an emotion?

When it started wasn't something he ever particular paid attention too. Nor was how often it happened. Rather, his mind lived between moments of confusion, irritation and vague déjà vu whenever it occurred. He vaguely remembered a time when it had been the sensation in his chest that had been the trigger. A barely remembered sensation of the beats within being...different at one time. Another had been a vague tingling sensation in the back of his head, as if there was something he had forgotten, but perhaps had been important, trying to remind him of some purpose. There had also been that one instance where the mask upon his face had caught him off guard, his fingers tracing its grain and cut and almost removing it, before crying out and leaving it in place.

That...was important.

This time around though, it was his cane. All of a sudden the feeling in his hand of it would draw his attention. Its aged and scarred form, almost as dirty as his own, intrigued him. He could almost remember something about it, something important that lay...within? Which also sparked a thought...about what lay within...himself?

Often enough these thoughts would come and go, but this time....this time was different. Not because they were particularly deep or different, but because there was a change.

It always started with the smallest of things after all.

The appearance of the creature that would appear before Straylor was not perhaps a particularly comforting one if someone were to judge by appearances alone. It was tall and perhaps proud by the way it stood, its form covered by a dirt stained and somewhat torn cloak that only barely managed to cover an equally dirt stained and torn shirt and trousers. And yet, despite its humanoid form and skin, it also sported a long fox like tail and two ears. But perhaps most striking of all, was the Owl like mask that covered its face as it leaned on its cane.

"Y-yes...I know you.", an old voice would crack as it, or rather he, regarded the other man.

"Like a fire in the mind....its been...too long."

What had previously been sparks for once began to enkindle a greater recollection. He knew the one before him. They had come to this place together a long time ago.

How strange.

Last edited by White Owl; May 13, 2019 at 02:58 PM.
White Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Straylor Leonard

Merchant of Mayhem

Wealth Tier: Adamantite
Straylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious Superhero
He was a prisoner here.

That much was clear by the time Straylor found himself lost in the mushroom forests and scattered from the mystics. But the rest of that story would never be retold. In truth, he lost much more than time on the strange sphere hovering above Telath. The Medonian felt adrift, separated from reality, and truly lost.

He did not know how long it had been since the last time he spoke or had a coherent thought. The alien flora and fauna kept him alive but he could no longer taste or smell anything. His eyes were bright stars on his pale features. His spidersilk, armor, and other equipment had been strewn about. The only thing that marked him as the Baron of Trysvale were his twin swords and shield, which never left him calloused hands.

These were the first objects that greeted the masked stranger made even stranger by his foxy features.

The moon was not without its share of dangers, but Straylor was not exactly hapless prey either. He fell into the first form immediately, blade extended with its point perfectly parallel to the horizon. His shield was still strapped to his back and Leviathan’s twin resting on his right hip. By some miracle, the spellbreaker had not everything.

But the day was still young ...if it was daytime at all.

“You”, he muttered at White Owl.

For a moment, Straylor allowed his mind to reach into another man’s life -- a stronger, happier man with purpose. His thoughts were held there for a moment and the fire spread, illuminating the darkened corners and fragments of his memories. He remembered the metal ring, soaring above Moonstone, and the entire Medonian Continent spread below him like a map. Straylor remembered thinking that this must have been the view of the gods above; and that, somehow, they had been lured to their deaths by the gods below.

Then he remembered his pack, containing all his equipment, including his precious seeds, which were scattered throughout the moonscape. That had been his singular purpose all these months ...or was it years? But the more he wandered his prison, the more of himself he lost. Soon, even his faith was broken and so he rested for a long while.

Straylor snapped back into the present and his eyes narrowed at the curious figure.

“Did you find the others?”

It was worth asking but that seemed likely. If they had any hope of getting off Melora, they needed to salvage what they could from the Arch Elementalist’s spacecraft and recover as much equipment and spellbreaking speeds as possible.
Straylor Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 04:13 AM   #4
White Owl
Notable

The old bird certainly didn't look alarmed as Straylor dropped into his stance and bared steel at him, but curiously he didn't question it either. Even he knew that there were things here in this place. Things which they had not expected when they had planned this journey.

The Owls head tilted slightly to the side as he watched the former baron, watching as he gathered his thoughts and drew himself back together. It was a curious thing to watch what he himself had just done. How long had they been scattered to the winds in both body and mind? How long had they wandered?

"I did not, or if I did, I forgot.", he answered truthfully, shaking himself as if to ruffle feathers, which could only be now barely seen upon his tattered cloak.

"I feel like something may have happened to them though. Scattered them far and wide or perhaps elsewhere entirely.", he'd ponder aloud, his head tilting in the other direction while he stared at Straylor.
"Not that I can remember much about them to begin with. Say, you wouldn't happen to know would you? Why I have this sense of anger deep within my heart. Its been plaguing me here for the longest time, and I can't for the life of me remember why."
Old May 16, 2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Straylor Leonard

Merchant of Mayhem

Straylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious SuperheroStraylor Leonard is a glorious Superhero
The tip of his sword angled downward as Straylor relaxed his arm.

If White Owl was a threat, the former Baron certainly did not think so. But he did not sheath his weapon. Not yet. The midnight colored blade continued to drink in the colors of their surroundings and the stars woven on the cloudless skies overhead.

"Then they're dead", Straylor said without emotion. When the masked fool mentioned anger, he couldn't help but shake his head and chuckle mirthlessly.

"That sensation", he replied, "is called being alive. We better move before any of those spiders get into your heart. Now that's a sensation you don't want."
Old May 18, 2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
The two weary travelers spent some time basking in the presence of somebody that wasn't a plant, or one of those strange moon insects that had somehow adapted themselves to being just as annoying as their counterparts on Telath - buzzing, buzzing, always buzzing. The plus side? They didn't actually seem to bite.

But their buzzing was just that much louder, it seemed.

Today, though, seemed like it would be a rather auspicious day. The ground beneath them suddenly began to rumble, and far off in the distance, they could hear something twisting, snapping, churning. There was a bright pillar of light that appeared for a few moments and then ceased - at the angle Straylor and White Owl were at, they could see that it had been on the side of the moon currently not facing Telath below them.

It didn't seem like it had been too far from where they were. Certainly, something to break the monotony of their trek through the jungle up until this point, there'd been nothing else quite like it on the moon up until now. What looked like shimmering curtains of light remained in the air where the pillar had been spotted, providing something of a waypoint they could travel by.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 01:20 PM   #7
White Owl
Notable

"Which one?", the old owl would quip back at Straylor before pausing. The retort had been natural, but was also sort of odd. But then, it made some amount of sense to him for some reason in an 'ah ha. So thats why' kind of way as he remembered that he had more than one of those particular organs. But then, his attention at least was drawn off towards the horizon, as a pillar of white light seemed to stretch towards the sky, and the ground shook beneath them. Eyes would narrow behind that mask of his, while his grip upon his cane would tighten somewhat.

"Thats new...this is all new.", he'd mutter, shaking his head a little before stepping forwards towards the Human.
"Perhaps they are not as dead as you would like to believe.", he'd throw towards Straylor with the tiniest hint of amusement as he nodded towards the sight.

"This is a brightening of change it seems. Perhaps we'll find more material for your jokes over there."

And with that, he'd begin to wander in that direction, his tail swaying behind him in what could of almost been a happy manner as he forged what felt like a new path for the first time in who knew how long.
Old May 18, 2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Straylor Leonard

Merchant of Mayhem

If Straylor found any amusement in White Owl's line of questioning, he did not show it.

Against the moonscape, the Medonian looked liked as feral as the strange wilderness that was their lunar prison. His groomed features were replaced by with a man of mangled hair. And his grim expressed were masked with a thick beard. The only thing left unchanged by the Prince's failed expedition were the Baron's hazel eyes, which now traced the sudden light show and seismic event.

He absentmindedly nodded at the old man with him. Change, it seemed, had come to them. If this was happenstance, then Straylor was an even bigger fool than Iseult thought. His mind lingered briefly on Rougenoe, Elmaryia, and all of those he left behind. All of his decisions led him here, on this cursed rock, floating above Telath. And for what?

Hubris.

The Argent Prince thought his actions mirrored that of the gods, and therefore hoped to his efforts would lead to another act of god. He poured the poison and his followers drank from the koolaid. His hatred for the Xet was soon eclipse with the dizzying realization that their expedition was doomed as soon as his spellbreaking seeds were lost. The sheer amount of magical effort it would have required to hurl Melora at the Xet Empire would have been ludicrous.

"Let's go", he growled before picking up what was left of his equipment and making his way toward pillar of light.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: