Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > District of Maeve

Old May 10, 2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae
Crazy Hunchback Litterbug

Wealth Tier: Steel
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
[Arconis] Burning the Mid-day Sage

Timestamp: 30th of Optia
Era XXVI
Babystamp: 7th Month

There were few moments in life that one wanted to relive. Moments that, if one could draft a sketch to keep forever in their memory, would be a lifetime's worth of joy and happiness to draw from when the inevitable dark times settled in. This afternoon was quickly climbing the ranks of those moments in her life with the clear blue skies and the laughter of children filling the air.

Not just children. Her child. Her hand settled gently on the curve of her belly. Soon the number of her own children in her household would outnumber the orphans still living under their roof.

Typically storm-gray eyes reflected the blue of the sky as Eri'lariel watched her son playing a dozen feet away. A wistful smile settled across her face watching the young elf wrestle the string of his kite in attempts to coax it higher in the sky. The figure at the end of the string in his hand resembled a winged elf in flight, a gift from his father as a nod to his mother's heritage. It would be the closest that the half-breed would ever get to enjoying the freedom of flight that his mother's kind took for granted - that is, unless he turned out to be as clever as his father and could magic a way to fly. But then, Alvorn was born to elementalism. Unless he hedged, he wouldn't use the same route his sorcerer father did.

A stalk of asparagus was held absently in her fingers, its flowery tip held between her teeth, nearly forgotten in her ruminations. The winged elf sat on a checkered quilt on the lawn of the Academia. A picnic basket sat open next to her with fresh fruits and vegetables, gathered just that morning from the markets, clearly enough food for more than just the mother and son.

She had once been a student at this very Academy and her husband had once been the Headmaster. Not that anyone remembered his name anymore, unless you found older staff who had weathered out the past decade in their positions, but the war and upheaval that had peppered the Empire in their absence had scattered most folks until the city was nearly unrecognizable. Still, Arconis was as close to "home" as she had in the Empire, now that the Elfhame was uninhabitable. It had been the first city she had explored once she had left the sleepy port of Taralon where she had emigrated after leaving Trelore. She had met Iseril here. And now she loved Motito here. Strange how things always came full circle.

"Atara, look! It's flying!"

Eri's head came up sharply as her son's call brought her out of her reverie. "Wonderful! It's as high as I could fly, I think!"

Maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration, but she could see his shoulders square as he stood a little taller, a little prouder. "I want to show Mona! When will they be here?"

Eri' turned to allow her eyes to span the school's commons, taking in the variety of races represented on the lawn. Some studied manuscripts while others were enjoying recreation much like her son. But no sign of her friend, Mona and her daughter yet. The human had long been a friend of the Gil'dae's, having started their acquaintance as the manager of the inn Motito had owned since before Eri' had come along. Nowabright, Mona worked at the Academia in an administrative capacity, the better for caring for her child since her love had been lost in the war.

"Patience, my love. They will be here. In the meantime, enjoy this lovely weather. We don't get many brightenings like this in Arium, summer or no."

oocMona was an NPC that worked for Tito for years at the inn. She should be described in my CIR - as much as she has been. I think she's been manned either by Tito or Mimesis up until now. She has a 3 year old daughter that hasn't been used, only referenced.

That being said, I don't care if you use her or if something comes up before she arrives and she never makes an appearance. Thanks for doing this!
Old May 10, 2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
At times, it felt like time passed by in Arconis in a relatively idyllic fashion. But simultaneously, it felt like Arconis was always on a knife's edge when it came to the dangerous going-ons in the Empire. The Xet that had blazed in from the west hadn't really gotten close enough to threaten the mountainous community, this much was true. It wasn't quite the equivalent of, say, Jaedaxia in the north - not when the northern Xet advance had mostly been blunted in western Arium, and only seen a successful naval landing at Estelgorod to raze the city. Ignoring, of course, that the final battle itself had taken place over Solace Isle, after the destruction of Paxia. But there had still been plenty of defendable land between the two locations. Things had been just a little closer in Enamoria, after all. True, the Xet advance had mostly been stymied at Medonia, but then there had been the attack on Port Alyxandrya, and that had been just a little bit too close for comfort. And while Arconis itself may not have been threatened, there were still those who had lost loved ones, or knew people who had perished. For them, the war was just real enough to be remembered, but not quite catastrophic as it had been for, say, Medonia. No attack launched on the walls of the city, no destruction wreaked upon its streets.

Then, of course, there was the matter of the rodenti upheaval in the Khardran Mountains as of late. Everybody had heard of the raids, of course, throughout the countryside of Prime, how the Legions had been dispatched in the areas surrounding the mountains to counter them. There hadn't been quite as much action on the southern side, though. One would think that Arconis, perched right on the edge, would have seen a bit more action - but, no. There was word that some of the outlying mines were having some trouble, and the threat always seemed to hang in the air, but thus far the rodenti didn't seem to be venturing quite near enough for them to be a problem.

And of course, there was always Sherian, and all the hazards that it brought. True enough, there was a Legion posted on the land border, which provided some sense of security. But there was talk that, besides, the rodenti, that the orcs in the mountains were growing in strength, that the Legions had been forced into a stalemate in eastern Sherian, and that any day now they might see a warband coming down from the mountains to sack their city. And while that hadn't happened yet, there were definitely mountaineers who came down from the Khardran Mountains and spoke of the terrifying mob of greenskins that seemed to be building up, deep in the depths of those towering peaks.

Past problems that had come too close for comfort, brewing problems that bubbled terrifyingly close to Arconis. Constantly looming, and yet in the day-to-day, something that most probably didn't think about. Although who could blame them? It probably wasn't healthy to constantly worry about, you know... the destruction of everybody and everything that you loved.

Kite flying was much nicer. And meeting up with friends.

It did wind up taking Mona a bit longer than expected to actually show up. On the plus side, she did make sure that Eri'lariel would be aware of the fact, sending somebody along to let her know that Mona had been caught up in something that had showed up last minute and needed to take care of it first. The young student that had come running didn't really know the details, only that Mona needed a bit of time and relaying an apology for making Eri'lariel wait.

It didn't seem like some sort of terribly emergency, however, as soon enough Mona could be seen coming over to where Eri'lariel had lain out the spread on the lawn, waving a hand to make sure that the winged elf could see her. It did take a bit more time, mainly because Mona was very patiently waiting for her tottering, easily-distracted daughter to follow along behind her, who had a bit of a penchant for wandering off towards something that caught her attention as opposed to following Mona - but eventually, yes, eventually, they'd manage to get where they wanted to go. Progress was quickened once Evelie apparently became enamored with the asparagus sprout Eri'lariel had in hand, running up towards the elf only to misgauge her own speed and simply smack right into her, tripping into Eri'lariel's lap.

Only to wriggle around to try and grab the asparagus sprout. Why did it look so weird?

Mona was terribly apologetic.

Last edited by Indefinite; May 10, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae
Crazy Hunchback Litterbug

Wealth Tier: Steel
Eri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious SuperheroEri'Lariel Gil'dae is a glorious Superhero
Her son's impatience aside, Eri'lariel was nonplussed over Mona's delay. It was understandable, with her responsibilities at the school, that she would find it hard to get away. The college itself was a comforting place for the Juive'lea to be. It reminded her most of her homeland where there was no more noble pursuit than the thirst for more knowledge. This institution in particular held a fondness for Eri. It was where she had first learned arcana from Master Norel, may his light always shine brightly amongst the stars.

The real reason for her delay became apparent as Eri'lariel watched the slow progression of mother and daughter to the place where she waited. She smiled in spite of herself at the way Evelie was pulled this way and that by each new discovery as if the minute human was endowed with a thirst for knowledge that rivaled her Juive'len counterparts. This was Eri's first time meeting the girl, but she had loved her before she ever saw her. How could she not, when Mona had been such a close part of their family. She had helped Eri' with Alvorn when he was smaller than this little one - and when each toddler tantrum was accompanied by spontaneous combustion.

It bothered her not at all when the little cherub collided with her angelic form. Eri' rolled with it, quite literally, letting her body list backward under the child's momentum. Like a weeble, the Juive'lea wobbled, but she didn't fall down. Instead, she rolled back onto her wings and upright again, scooping the lass up into her embrace. She relinquished the stalk of asparagus into the girls chubby fingers even as she reached for a second stalk to offer the empty hand.

"Absolutely no apologies necessary," Eri insisted as she adjusted the girl's weight so it didn't press on the rounded mound of the child she carried within her. "I miss these brightenings when Alvorn was just this size. I suppose I have that to look forward to."

She grinned up at Mona even as Alvorn was vying for the human's attention to show off his kite at the end of the string. The Lady Gil'dae would not normally have been so forthcoming to speak of the pregnancy and upcoming child - it was still a sore subject in Arium - but with Mona, it was different. They'd been through a lot together. And a lot apart. But still, they remained friends.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Indefinite
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero
At the moment, the winged elf was losing out to a stalk of asparagus in terms of interest. Evelie was enamored with the strange green thing. Her immediate instinct was to begin gnawing on it. Not eating, from the look of it, merely constantly softly biting as she happily used Eri'lariel's lap as her seat.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder," Mona noted with a laugh. It was easy to miss something that you no longer actually had to deal with. But that too was a good thing, the ability to remember the good - far too many people dwelt on the bad. "Let's talk again when your newborn actually is that size, shall we?"

They'd see what Eri'lariel's outlook was then. Although, fingers crossed, it would come to pass that it was unchanged.

Mona turned over to Alvorn, providing rapt attention and a captive audience to the topic of the kite. She was very impressed with his ability to keep it up in the air like that. Where had he gotten the kite? How had he learned to fly it? There was plenty to be discussed, surely, between the two of them on the topic at hand, and Mona was more than happy to let Alvorn discuss it at length.

Now, finally, to Eri'lariel's credit, she became something of interest as opposed to merely a perch. Evelie's interest in the asparagus waned and, although she wouldn't throw it away, she quickly began moving around again. Asparagus tucked firmly between her lips, her hands gently patted the elf's lap around her. Her mother was over there, everything was fine, so who was this again? She scooted around until she was facing Eri'lariel, looking up at the new person. Well, "new" new. Mona had explained who Eri'lariel was in so many words, but they hadn't met up until now.

Her hands came up unsteadily, then gently slapped both sides of Eri'lariel's face. The girl giggled. So much for the shyness that Mona had mentioned. Perhaps it really was just the wings. Or maybe it was just the asparagus which had managed to bridge the gap between them. Either way.

"You have wings!" the girl exclaimed, words muffled by the asparagus, arms flapping on either side in imitation of a bird.

Indefinite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: