Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Support > Questions

Old April 20, 2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Valerian Pendragon
Citizen

Valerian Pendragon is unknown and forgotten
Question about starting package

Hello,

I was thinking about the starting package for my character and doing some research on various possibilities, and I had a few questions.

First, if I take an Initiate level arcana skill as my starting skill, could I write in my characters background that he was one of the rare number of individuals born Unbound? The concept behind the character is that he has a particularly strong affinity for arcana and comes from an especially gemblooded family, so it would fit the concept very well.

Next, for his job, would it be possible to start as a full time student at the Academy of Arcana in Aelyria Prime? I was thinking of starting at the lowest income tier, below Sterling, to reflect the financial impact the tuition would have on his spending abilities. He would be forced to work at jobs and tasks at the Academy and outside its walls in order to afford things like supplies and sundries and so forth.

Last, is the Sage vocation different from the Arcana skill? Like if I pursued both the Sage route in arcanomechanics and Sorcery for example, would that count as hedgemagery and thus limit how high he could specialize in either field?

Thanks for any clarification!

Last edited by Valerian Pendragon; April 20, 2019 at 04:19 AM.
Valerian Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019, 04:58 AM   #2
Calanon
HyperboliCal

Wealth Tier: Steel
Calanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious SuperheroCalanon is a glorious Superhero
I think (from a plebs perspective) that the above sounds fine. It’s fine to assume you have entry level job/occupation and if there is no gain expected from the backstory then I think you can pretty much say whatever?

As for the sage skill, I thought it was more an academic learning than a practical one. So your character would *understand* the intricacies of arcana without necessarily being able to do it. So therefore a separate skill tree to actual magic.
charybdis >> grim :And crying.
Hoskuld & Walt :...and it was a weird time.
CIR
Secrets
Calanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Valerian Pendragon
Citizen

Valerian Pendragon is unknown and forgotten
Thank you very much for the prompt response Calanon, I appreciate your insight. I hoped that the concept I had for my character wouldn't violate any established guidelines for creation. I certainly don't intend for anything in his background to be used for any gain in practical application, but to instead add flavor and depth to what is, essentially, a rather singular focus. Val will be an academically inclined Sorcerer, solely driven to pursue study and hopefully greater understanding of the complexities of Arcana and aspire to, in turn, apply his knowledge to the eventual mastery of Sorcery. To this end, writing him as a rare example of a naturally Unbound individual from a particularly gemblooded lineage seems to be an appropriate fit, but again, I have no intention of capitalizing on that background or even using it at all if it is percieved as advantageous or conflicting in any way.

Thus my question about the separation between the Sage vocation and the Arcana skill as well. I hope that they can be seen as complimentary to each other, but not limit one or the other in terms of advancement.
Valerian Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: