Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Support > Questions

Old September 2, 2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Moss Oktra'rek
Father Of Loremark

Wealth Tier: Steel
Moss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious Superhero
Spell Resistance

I'm just trying to get my head around something I saw in the Mysticism writeup.

The Invisibility and Objectify spells include this blurb:
Quote:
Note: This spell cannot be resisted. Its effects can be negated only if it is successfully dispelled before reaching its target.
Does that mean the spell can only be interrupted at the time of casting, and dispelled if (for example) the target sees it happening, but if the target is unaware of it happening, then...it always works?

I'm sure I'm not understanding this properly!

Competition: Win a month of Companionship here!
Moss Oktra'rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Charybdis
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation
Basically it was written so PCs couldn’t go “I focus really hard and no mysticism works on me because.”

There are always situational work arounds because there are always exceptions. But those should be very rare. It’s not possible for ordinary Joe to just look constipated and resist mind spells.
Old September 2, 2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Moss Oktra'rek
Father Of Loremark

Moss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious SuperheroMoss Oktra'rek is a glorious Superhero
Haha, now there's a mental image!

So the contrast between those spells and something like Bind or Voice Of Thought is that they can be resisted because they're more of a wrestling match, (for lack of a better word)...more 'invasive' than Invisibility and Objectify, which are more along the lines of trickery?

Old September 2, 2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Charybdis
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation
Eh not really. It all falls under normal arcana rules. Spells are berry hard to just out and out “resist” without good reason. Occasionally PCs might pick up traits that make them more resistant to X, but that would be noted in their SOF.

Again, the only reason that is explicitly written next to those spells was because of other games where players could just shrug off mind spells without any reason to outside of “I don’t want to be affected by this.” That was the only thing we were trying to avoid.
Old September 2, 2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Moss Oktra'rek
Father Of Loremark

Awesome. Thanks for the swift and clear response! No more waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, lol!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: