Read all about our outage on this thread.

Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Principality of Moonstone

Old August 4, 2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Wealth Tier: Steel
Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa
[ZA] Moving forward directionally [Hoskuld]

Summer, Era XXVI Post Fractum

Hospital, hospital, hospital.

A hospital was often a very messy place. Doubly so because of Sliucha's influence, no doubt. Medical care was a dirty business in and of itself. The by-products of sickness and illness, the viscera of surgery - it was important to ensure that all of that was cleaned up in order to ensure the general hygiene and sanitation of the location. Cleanliness was next to godliness when it came to health, after all.

And, you know, here and there, maybe sometimes Sliucha made her own messes. Those needed cleaning up too.

In any case, at the moment, Sliucha was seeking out Ronja. The young girl had been working as a cleaner for quite some time now - she had been part of the original staff hired at the Apothecarion way, way long ago. She'd grown up with the hospital itself, considering how many years ago she'd started. She'd definitely made quite a tidy sum over those years as well.

Sliucha paid her cleaners well. Given, you know... the messes she made. It was important to ensure that they were paid well.

Now. What was Ronja up to?
Sliucha Sindosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Hoskuld Coal-beard
Shields are *still* yummy

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Hoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous Hero
Finding an individual in a hospital could be a challenge, especially an individual who was mobile and had access to most of the grounds. Sliucha was in luck this brightening, however, for her staff was able to tell her that Ronja usually took a break around this time if things were quiet, and that she liked to take those breaks in one of the empty classrooms of the Academy building; occasionally, she would even crash a lecture, sitting unobtrusively in the back until it was time to return to her chores.

Assuming she followed that lead, Sliucha would find Ronja -now a young woman of some two and twenty eras- in a small classroom with a number of benches arranged around a dissection table. At the far end of the room was a lectern with a slate board behind it, flanked by a classic “wound man” drawing to one side and a prepared human skeleton (which the faculty had named “Rikki Rattles”) next to a labeled poster of a similar skeleton on the other.

Ronja sat facing Rikki and with her back to the door. She seemed to be writing or doodling something on a small tablet, humming tunelessly as she did so. She had not yet perceived her boss’ presence at the door.
Old August 5, 2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa
Ronja?

Roooooooonja!

Ronja Ronja Ronj-

Oh! She looked busy. Sliucha stealthily observed from a distance. Classroom... hm, hm, mmhm, mm. Interesting. Well! Sliucha was just barely cognizant enough to realize that it was probably super rude to just immediately call out to the girl.

So, she'd instead take a few steps back, and then super ostentatiously (not quite stomping but making very audible footsteps) make her way back over to where she'd been standing, before knocking on the doorframe - hopefully providing Ronja with the opportunity to know that there was, in fact, somebody there.

"Watcha doiiiiiin'?" Sliucha asked, having hopefully not totally caught the young woman off guard.
Old August 6, 2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Hoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous HeroHoskuld Coal-beard is a famous Hero
Help me, Ronja, help, help me Ronja

Ronja started upright when Sliucha called out to her, and turned a surprised look towards the doorway. She had heard the footfalls, but hadn’t suspected that they were for her until her boss called out. ”Oh! Sorry, I was taking a break,” the girl explained, and stood up somewhat abashedly. She was no taller than the young teen Sliucha had hired some eras ago, and only marginally less skinny.

”I was just…” she trailed off and gestured helplessly with the slate in one hand and a piece of chalk in the other. From what Sliucha was able to make out from across the room, it looked like there was writing on the slate in two columns and a couple lines connecting them. Ronja seemed at a loss to explain what she was doing. After a moment she rallied and drew herself up as much as her meager frame allowed. ”I like it here in the classrooms,” she said, a trace of defiance seeping into her voice and manner. ”It’s quiet and I can think or read, or learn stuff.”
Old August 6, 2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Alas! All of Sliucha's efforts had wound up being in vain, as it seemed that she had managed to startle Ronja all the same. Perhaps it would have been better to do a bit of calling out Ronja's names as she'd approached?

Anyway.

Sliucha stepped forward, to take a look at what Ronja had been working on. This didn't look like it had anything to do with cleaning. In fact, it looked more like she was working on material that had more to do with... well, what the medical students tended to learn. Was she interested in this sort of thing?

Well, there probably wasn't any better place to learn this sort of thing from, you know? School of medicine and all that.

"What've you been working on learning?" Sliucha asked of Ronja. If she had any problems with what the woman was doing on her breaks, she certainly didn't sound like it. No, she was definitely encouraging of the matter. If Ronja was expecting any opposition and planned on being defiant about it, well, there wasn't going to be much point in that. "Anything that I can help with? I imagine it can be a little difficult sometimes if you're just by yourself in here."
Old August 8, 2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Ronja was so busted! Or rather she wasn’t. Not like Sliucha, anyway. Actually, the girl was pretty twiggy, to be honest.

Sheepishly, she handed the small slate to her mistress. Ronja’s lettering was clear and impeccable, better than that of quite a few teachers. Across the top was the word “FEVER” in all caps. Below the heading were words arranged in two columns. The left column listed the common names of plants Sliucha would recognize as having well-known medicinal uses. The right column listed various general parts of plants: roots, leaves, bark, flowers, etc.

Ronja had checked several of the plants in the left column, although she had put an ‘x’ next to “nutmeg” and a question mark next to “ginger”. A few of the checked plant names had lines connecting them to plant parts in the other column. She had drawn a line from “willow” to “bark” and from “meadowsweet” there were two lines, one to “leaves” and one to “flowers”. It looked like she had started to draw a line from “ginger” to “roots”, but then partly erased it.

“I’m not finished yet,” she explained nervously. “I copied the exercise from one of Faergus’ books. -He said I could borrow it, but I’ve been avoiding him because I’m not finished with it yet and I think he wants it back.” Deprived of the slate while Sliucha examined it, Ronja’s hands fidgeted.
Old August 11, 2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Mmhmm? Mmhmm! Mmm.

Sliucha would use the vast medical and herbal knowledge at her disposal to take a look at the slate and see if there was anything that she could point out on there, any corrections she could make. Plant components that could help with fevers, presumably? If so, she'd point them out to Ronja. Beyond that?

"You really should give him his book back if he needs it," Sliucha told Ronja, handing the slate back. "There's always something else that you could learn from. He might need the book for something crucial."

Such as saving lives. Education was important - but, you know, maybe there were actual, literal lives hanging in the balance?
Old August 14, 2019, 04:10 PM   #8
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Ronja started to say something as Sliucha gave her input to her little self-quiz, then squeezed her lips together. Although hesitant to say it, the girl was annoyed at her boss. She hadn’t asked for spoilers! She hadn’t wanted them! The young woman let out a defeated sigh once Sliucha finished. ”Yes, thank you,” she said in a tone that made no attempt to hide that she didn’t mean it.

And she wasn’t any happier when her mistress suggested she return the book. But at least on this count, she had to admit Sliucha was in the right. ”Yes, ma’am, I’ll go get it back to him right now, and then I’ll get back to work.” There was something stiff and barely-contained in her voice as she started to make for the door. Then she stopped abruptly and turned back towards her boss. ”Unless you have something else for me,” she added. The dread as she awaited the answer was palpable.
Old August 15, 2019, 12:04 PM   #9
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Oh. Sliucha didn't really get why Ronja wasn't happy with her help. Wasn't the whole point of learning, like, knowing things?

Obviously, there was a disconnect with what Ronja had been trying to do.

"Well!" Well, Sliucha had technically come over to find Ronja for work-related things, but it wasn't really anything super important. There were other cleaners, right? Somebody would eventually find the mess and maybe get somebody else to clean it up. No problem.

She clapped her hands together. "There is a, uh, thing. Could you follow me and help me... tidy up... clean up... the thing. Place. Yeah?" She didn't really have much of a plan here, but Sliucha had gotten the impression that she'd thrown a wrench into what Ronja was trying to do here. So why not try and make it up to her or something? Make up for the quiz gaffe and the pending loss of said book?

Because, you know, Sliucha was a pretty good doctor and stuff.

"Once you give the book back, I'll be waiting for you here?"
Old August 17, 2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Ronja’s annoyance at Sliucha’s quizz interference gave way to confusion as she tried to decipher her boss’ instructions. ”Oh, so you want me to go now and return Faergus’ book and then come back? Right here? Oh…OK. I’ll bring my cleaning stuff when I return.” The woman wrapped a cloth carefully over the slate and left the room.

For a while it would just be Sliucha and Rikki Rattles. In spite of always smiling, however, Rikki wasn’t actually all that amusing for company. It seemed like it was nearly half a candlemark before the governor heard the telltale clatter of an approaching cleaning cart. Moments later Ronja appeared in the doorway pushing said cart, slightly out of breath.

”Sorry!” she gasped out. ”Faergus had some stuff to say once I returned his book.”
Old August 18, 2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

Uh, um, yeah! That sounded right! Sliucha just nodded and smiled and waved Ronja off as the young woman went to get her things.

Okay, she had some time to think about what the heck she was actually trying to do here. Luckily, it seemed like Ronja had perhaps been distracted by something - or she was pranking Sliucha and not coming back. Honestly, both of those were probably fine. On the one hand, she had more time to make something up. On the other hand, she didn't have to make anything up at all!

Oh, here came Ronja now.

Okay, okay, play it cool. Sliucha was going to use the fact that there really was a mess to clean up, after all. "No worries!" she noted cheerfully, standing up to make her way back into the hallway. "Now, let's go. As always, I apologize for what I did."

Cleaners around here made big bucks for a reason. Anyway, as they walked, Sliucha struck up a conversation. "So what'd you talk with Faergus about?"
Old August 21, 2019, 03:56 PM   #12
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Ronja smiled ruefully at Sliucha’s question. ”Faergus did all the talking,” she said. ”Wasn’t as mad as I’d feared, but he felt the need to lecture me, anyway on timeliness and good habits and conscientiousness and patience and on and on.” She rolled her eyes. ”I thought dwarves were supposed to be taciturn. You know, men of few words. Not Faergus.” She sighed and shook her head while she maneuvered the cleaning cart around a corner. She could do all three at the same time now. She was that good.

”I tried to get him talking about herbalism. Since he was in a talking mood. Instead he reminded me that you were waiting and started again about professionalism and punctuality and focus and…I left for my cart before he could move on to thoroughness.” She sighed again. ”I don’t know. I thought he’d be glad I was interested in something other than mops. Don’t know why I expected that.” She fell silent and looked steadfastly forward, feeling a bit embarrassed for having talked so much.

After an awkward moment she asked: ”Speaking of mops, what am I cleaning next?”
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #13
Sliucha Sindosa
Aelyrian Addict

"It really depends on the sort of dwarf you get," Sliucha noted, walking along with Ronja as they made their way through the hallways. It didn't seem to be particularly busy, making their journey easier. "If you really wanted to generalize, you could probably narrow dwarves down to two categories: stoic, or jolly."

And Faergus was definitely a jolly dwarf.

"He was just being considerate of me, I'm sure," Sliucha tried to reassure Ronja. "Try again when the both of you have some free time and I imagine he'd love to talk more about herbalism with you. With most people, once you start talking about something they're interested in, they really can't stop! And, you know, feel free to chat me up some time if you want!"

Anyway. What was Ronja cleaning? Ah, well.

"My dracon brought me lunch and I thanked him for it," Sliucha stated simply. Ronja was going to be cleaning up, um, the aftermath. That waiting room was a bit of a mess.

Well, here they were! Uh... yeah. Luckily, this time at least, the mess was just on the floor.

"I don't suppose there's anything I can do to help?" Considering she was kind of the culprit and all.
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #14
Hoskuld Coal-beard

Ronja nodded as her boss spoke. She muttered: ”Thanks for the advice,” though she had her doubts. Could she really get Faergus talking about herbalism when they both had free time, she wondered? Well, they didn’t cross paths all that often when they both had free time. She could tweak her schedule and change that, perhaps, but then the dwarf might get the wrong impression. One of the things she was really getting tired of was people, usually but not always guys, getting the wrong impression. Maybe she could drop the boss’ name the next time she and the dwarf spoke. Then again, that might create its own set of wrong impressions.

When they got to the room, Ronja surveyed the scene and sighed, more audibly than she had intended. She immediately began to clatter her cleaning gear and supplies into readiness, more noisily than necessary, hoping that the noise would cover. Sliucha had gotten her off the streets and treated her well. But was she still going to be mopping up Mr. Scales’ jizz when she was sixty?

She shook her head quickly when Sliucha asked if she could help. ”No thanks, I can take care of this,” she answered tersely. ”You already did your thing, now let me do mine.” Ronja winced at her own words. She hadn’t meant to put it that crudely. The mops and bottles resumed their clattering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: