Old November 18, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Oracle is a benevolent Adventurer
A Healer's Hand May Wander (Triel)

Timestamp: 30th Imperos, Autumn of Era XVI (pf), Morning.

The chamber of the Marquesa was well furnished and comfortable. To one side was a large desk and chair, its surfaces and cubbies full of missives, documents, and the associated items. Next to it was a bookcase with a number of volumes upon it with titles like 'Effective Herbs' and 'Uses of Thaumaturgy, V. 1'. Several large still-life paintings hung on the walls - one of a vase of flowers, another of a pile of fruit (one with a bite taken out of it). They were elegant, well-crafted works of art, the sort nobility liked to have around. There were two lounge chaises in the room, both a plush blue and piled high with pillows with tasseled corners. A decorative rug from some far-away place lay upon the floor.

Two doors led off of the chamber, and one of them opened now, even as the door behind Triel closed. The woman that swept in was tall, svelte; her skin was flawless, olive-colored; her hair straight and inky black as it fell down her back in cascades. She looked perhaps twenty ordinations old if that, even younger when she smiled, just as she did now. She had only a light dusting of colored powder on her eyes, perhaps to bring out the shape and color of them - lighter than the norm for Secyclion natives. The clothing she wore consisted of two blue swathes of fabric, one artfully draped over one shoulder and her midsection; the other wrapped about her hips and fell on a slant across her belly and upper legs, joined to the first by a slim chain and medallion, which looked to be a family crest of some sort.

"Chairete," she greeted Triel, stepping closer but not offering any other greeting as most Secyclions were wont to when greeting a mainlander, as Triel clearly was. The woman's eyes seemed to skim over Triel, taking in the base details - skin, eyes, hair. Her smile widened, and she turned slightly, gesturing to one of the chaises. "Sit, please," she urged, her voice quite melodic and accented with the spices of the isle, as it were.

She drifted to the desk, her fingers running over the documents thoughtfully. "Ofelia said you seek training, yes?" Her eyes had yet to leave Triel.
Old November 28, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

Triel Xythan'tor is a benevolent AdventurerTriel Xythan'tor is a benevolent Adventurer
The dark maiden followed the woman from the desk to the room where she would be able to enquire about training. Once she was allowed in, she gave a slight nod and stepped through the door. It seemed that she was on her own for the moment, so Triel allowed her gaze to wander around the room. The furnishings were nice, but didn't particularly interest her. What was of interest were the many books sitting around. She wandered over to them and read the spines of the books, a slight smile tugging at her lips as she subject matter was identified. If she was accepted as a student here, then she'd have to look at borrowing some of these books.

Soon enough, she heard a door open, her red gaze sweeping to the source of the sound. The dark maiden made sure her hood was down so whomever was entering could properly see her dark skin and white hair. No doubt they'd be able to see all the armour she was wearing too, and the sword sitting on her hip. Triel noted that the woman seemed to be very young, which was interesting if she was the Master Thaumaturgist. Masters always seemed to be very old from what she remembered, sp this was a little surprising. The clothing was also not what she expected, but then it was an interesting contrast to her own.

At the greeting, Triel gave a slight nod and a smile. She decided to use the traditional greeting of Ieffreon, mostly to prove that she wasn't some uncultured and uneducated mainlander. "Kalimera." The word was pronounced perfectly, though the accent was still just a little off. Apparently her mainlander roots, coupled with the fact that she still had a very slight Vysstichi accent on some words meant she couldn't get it quite right. Once the seat was offered, the dark maiden nodded again and decided to take it. "That's right. I'm currently an Apprentice Thaumaturgist... and back home on Ieffreon, I work in a place very similar to this. Much smaller though. As such, I'd like to better my arcane healing if you feel that I am ready to do so.

- CIR - Fluid-Time Record - Training & Equipment - SoF -
- Common - Elven - Vysstichi - Thoughts -
Green rep if you're leaving any, please!

Posting speed: Currently very slow! Major RL issues + packing to go away=
Old November 28, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

The lady tilted her head toward Triel, listening to the dark one's strange speech. True, accents and the like were not unheard of here in the city of wanderers, but this one was one she had not heard before. That alone made her worthy of notice. Her appearance was another such reason. Drifting now to the other chaise, the lady thaumaturgist draped herself elegantly upon it, propping her chin on one elbow upon the curved arm.

"I will of course need to see for myself what you are capable of doing before I can assess what you have left to learn. The arts are, as you know, varied and often overlapping and intertwining. You will find much of that here in my house." Her cool eyes studied Triel. Abruptly switching topics, she said, "Perhaps you would like some refreshment? We have much here that will delight you, I think."

Regardless of what answer Triel gave, the Marquesa clapped her hands sharply - just once, and waited. The front door opened, and a woman peeked inside. To her the taller woman issued brief orders: a jug of fresh melon juice and a platter for herself and her guest to share. The woman bowed her way out and the door closed once more. She turned to face Triel again, smiling. "Ieffron, you said. I find I have little time to travel these days; please, tell me of your home while we wait. After we eat, I will take you to the ward and test your skills to determine how to proceed."
Old November 29, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

Triel Xythan'tor is a benevolent AdventurerTriel Xythan'tor is a benevolent Adventurer
A slight nod was given once the lady explained that she needed to see for herself just what Triel was capable of. That was perfectly reasonable in her mind, otherwise how would this master know if she was ready to take her next level of training? Of course, her mind was now wandering a little, curious on just what the test might entail. The next question was a little surprising, but a drink definitely sounded welcome to say the very least. "Actually, I could do with something to drink... thank you." Her red gaze turned to glance at the woman whom peeked into the room and she listened to the orders given out.

Soon enough, another question came and the dark maiden blinked a little. Truth be told, she spent so much of her time working that she didn't know a great deal about the city. Even so, she did intend to try and answer the question to the best of her ability. "It's very white... for a start." Triel smiled a little at that thought, the reflection of sunlight off the white marble buildings occasionally caused her problems. "Most of the buildings are made from marble, you see... which can cause a few problems for me as my eyes are very sensitive to the light, as I'm sure you already know. So, having sunlight reflect off the buildings isn't very good. But, the people are very friendly and the crime is very low. All weapons are peace bound, including those of civilians. That helps to keep things in check a bit."

The Vysstichi woman fell silent for a few moments, trying to work out what else she could tell the woman about her home city. "I don't think there is much more I can say. I notice here that men appear to hold more power than women... which is a little odd for me given that it's the reverse for my race. However, back on Ieffreon, women and men appear to be equal. I'm actually quite enjoying my stay here so far, it has subtle differences from what I'm used to, but just enough similarities to make me feel comfortable."

Old December 1, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Staff

There was a small, polite smile on her face as she listened to Triel speak. Now and again her eyes wandered the other's frame, assessing how much of it was armor and how much actual flesh. It was an exercise that was not often required here in her domain; clothes rarely left anything to the imagination, if they existed at all. Her eyes flicked away when the door opened and the young woman brought in a wooden tray with handles. She approached the pair of chaises and lowered it to the small table that rested in between them, bowing to the Marquesa before she left.

The tray held an elegant decanter of wine, a pair of brilliant crystal glasses, and a tray of various delicacies. There were a number of cheeses - an interesting item in and of itself given that milk-bearing creatures were relatively rare on the island; grapes, cherries, and other fruits - also rare given the limited growing space. The crackers were less rare, but no less savory, a variety of flavors and shapes. There were a few slices also of a lush, moist bread, definitely of finer make than the stuff regular people got. The woman picked up the decanter and pulled the stopper, pouring them both a generous helping of the rich, pale wine. Re-closing it, she picked up her own glass and one of the grapes. Popping it into her mouth, she smiled and gestured to the tray, indicating that Triel should help herself.

"Have you taken a room at the inns here? A good one, I hope. If not, I am sure I could arrange something here for you." She reclined again upon her chaise, stretching herself out without much self-consciousness. "There are a great many comforts here you could take advantage of while you study. There are books, of course, and I shall personally supervise your lessons." There was a satisfied, almost possessive gleam in her eye just then.

"I imagine you will find this city strange to you as well. We women tend to... how do you say? ... rule from the kitchen." There was a sardonic little smile on her lips. "The men have the power, but we have certain things available to us." She waved her hand dismissively, sipping at her wine, her eyes having settled upon Triel once more. "Tell me, why did you choose this path?"
Old December 5, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

When the tray came in, the Vysstichi woman's red eyes focused on it and the various items sitting upon it. Her ebon-skinned hands came up to push the hood down away from her face. She didn't need to shade her eyes now she was inside and it was only polite in her mind so this Master Thaumaturgist could properly see her potential new student. The various different types of cheese were certainly interesting, so were the grapes. Once she was invited to take anything from the tray, Triel decided to take a piece of the bread and some of the cheese, placing it on the slice and eating it almost like a cheese sandwich. The question of her lodging came up and the dark maiden waited until she'd finished eating to answer.

"I've got a room for... about a cycle and a half. After that, I don't have anything arranged."

In honesty, the Vysstichi woman wasn't sure if the room she had was 'good' or not, but it served her purpose. Despite the fact she was a noble from a high ranking Vysstichi house, Triel had outgrown the need for extravagance. Living alone on the surface world meant tightening the belt a little was more than necessary. "Books? I'd love to read through some of them as and when I have the time." Apparently she was definitely interested in broadening her knowledge, obviously wanting to learn more than just Thaumaturgy. The woman's comment about the women made Triel chuckle slightly. It was definitely an odd situation to someone of her race, but she just accepted it as one of the norms the surface world presented to her.

The question of why she chose this path came up, and the dark maiden just smirked. "Short answer? Being resurrected by Aslan certainly makes you re-evaluate your life... when you've been touched by the divine, it certainly pulls you towards wanting to do good. I decided I wanted to heal with both arcane and mundane methods. I also decided I was going to place my faith in Phedos, as the father of strategy, guardian of arcane magics and creator of the elves. He seemed the most obvious choice given that I'm also a warrior."

Old December 7, 2009, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Former Staff

"There are a few options available," she said mildly, sipping from her glass. "The compound here maintains cells for those who work here. I assure you they are more comfortable than they sound. Or if you wish to, I can offer you a room within my own house. You would have all the luxuries available to me. It's really quite nice." The woman was watching Triel closely, judging the other female's reactions.

The mention of Aslan made her sit up, though, and her gaze went from drowsily seductive to sharp and aware. "Aslan, you say? Would you perhaps consent to reciting that story in front of a scribe? A story like that would be a delightful addition to our libraries." Triel's worth had just jumped tenfold with that one statement alone. She had certain physical qualities that made her attractive, but her history was quite fascinating. If true, of course. The entire preceding comment about books was lost to the Marquesa, whose calculating mind was already leaps and bounds ahead of where Triel was.

Her smile was oddly feline as she resumed sipping the liquid in her glass. "Oh yes, I think I can help you all right..."
Old December 8, 2009, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

At least there were options for lodging beyond staying at the inn for a little longer. In honesty, the idea of staying within the compound appealed to the Vysstichi maiden. She'd long forgotten what excessive creature comforts felt like and it wasn't a habit she particularly wanted to get back into. The way she ate, drank and her posture while sitting would certainly give away that this particular female had a noble upbringing previously. While Triel didn't play the noble part anymore, some things were just too deeply ingrained to completely forget them. It was a fact she was all too aware of, but one she wasn't going to worry about.

It seemed that the Marquesa was very interested in the fact that the Vysstichi woman had been restored to life by Aslan himself. Truth be told, she couldn't remember too much about it, but as there appeared to be some interest in the story, she decided to do her best to try and recount the tale. In fact, Triel decided the first thing she would do after this interview was over would be to start jotting down some notes to help jog the memory. "I'll be honest... it was a while ago now. I don't remember it too well, but I will do my very best to give a complete and accurate account of what happened. I've still got the two scars from the fatal blow as well... though they're a bit hard to show off under all this armour."

Old December 8, 2009, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Former Staff

The "cells" here were really a name held over from the original concept of a monastery; there was little denied to those who lived and worked here. Food and drink were available in plenty, and the beds were certainly more comfortable than the kind you found in the common apartments elsewhere in the city. The libraries were always available, and it was not uncommon to find groups of students huddled together somewhere giving discourse on theories or practices. The atmosphere here was one of welcome and of free learning; a lot of it had to do with the people who ran it. The Marquesa herself was not a woman given to strict discpline, but more to the pleasures of life.

The woman's eyes skimmed over Triel, as if attempting to see through the armor. She clicked her tongue softly, shaking her head. "A pity... I would be quite interested in seeing them some time." She did not add 'purely for academical reasons,' because that would be untrue. "Any information you can provide with regards to your experiences will be a welcome addition to our libraries here. Always in the pursuit of knowledge," she murmured, smiling. "Whenever you feel prepared to do so, I will arrange for a scribe to sit with you and go over what you remember."

Sitting back again, she nodded more to herself than to her new apprentice. "How much experience have you had with healing wounds and illnesses, hands-on? As opposed to study and theory, that is."
Old December 9, 2009, 04:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

Somehow, having a lot of clothing and armour on seemed like a very good thing at this moment in time. The Vysstichi woman found it very odd that another woman seemed to be taking such an interest in her physically. But she remained polite and didn't draw any attention to that fact. "Maybe I'll show them off as part of the talk with the scribes..." There was a very slight shrug from Triel at that, obviously a bit unsure if that would be a good thing or not. But she figured it might help to add a bit of validity to her tale. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, plus she had another way to help back it up, if they had someone on hand whom could converse with animals.

"I'm sure that I could go over it in a couple of brightenings or so. It'd give me time to actually try and remember as much detail as possible."

Hopefully that would be acceptable to the woman. A single, snowy brow raised when she was asked if she had any actual hands-on healing experience. Actually, she had well over an era's worth of actual job experience, healing people with both magical and mundane means. Hopefully that would suffice. "Back home on Ieffreon, I work in a place much smaller than this. It's pretty much a very small hospital, and I work the Darkening shift. It's better for my eyes and my employer was happy with that as she has problems getting people to work the late shifts. So yes, I've about a full era of hands-on healing experience using magical and mundane methods."

Old December 10, 2009, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

The woman hesitated only a moment herself. She did not wish to seem overbearing to their new guest, but she did want to hear this story, be it true or false. Those touched by the divine were of particular interest of late. Shifting herself somewhat, she glanced at the door, then back at Triel.

"Ah? Yes, that will be good. We have had a few new students arrive with plenty of technical learning but little of the practical. I welcome any input you might have upon the workings of our own hospital. The crime rate is relatively low here on the island, but we have other issues. Accidental poisonings, drunken injuries, fishing accidents. No room for boredom." The noblewoman reached out to take a tidbit of cheese, nibbling delicately upon it.

"We run mostly on donations and the funds from our own house, along with some governmental supplements. As a result I do think we have more leeway as to how we run things. I'm happy to say very few people die here of anything except their own stupidity." A thin smile painted itself on her face, then slid away into the calm. "Have you any questions, or would you like a tour of the grounds? I think perhaps tomorrow, after you have settled in, we will begin your lessons."
Old December 12, 2009, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

"Thankfully I've plenty of that..."

A soft smile tugged at her lips. The dark maiden took a sip from her wine, listening to what this other woman was saying. While it would be nice to see how this hospital worked, Triel seriously wondered just how much input she'd be able to give. Mostly she just busied herself with actually healing people rather than worrying about how t he hospital ran and all the various bits that went with it. "Actually, Ieffreon is very similar. All weapons are peace-bound there, so most people come in with drinking related injuries, random illnesses, fishing accidents, etc. I think the worst thing we've had was last season when a bad batch of fish poisoned the population... at least while I've been working there."

Another sip was taken from the wine as she listened to how the place was funded. It was nice to hear that private institutes were placing money into the service, while it was also good to hear that the local government also helped out. The dark maiden figured that having a certain amount of freedom in how the place was ran certainly made things much easier. When she was asked if she had any more questions, Triel thought for a few moments before finally shaking her head. "No, I don't think I do. I'm sure something will pop into my head at some point. That's usually what happens."

Old December 16, 2009, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Former Staff

"Ahh, fish," the woman said, pulling an elegant face that spoke of many things. Islands as a rule relied upon fish as a major staple of the diet, but that didn't mean the residents had to like it. Perhaps that was why imports of other delicacies enjoyed such success here as on other islands. Nodding in answer as Triel dismissed the topic of questions, the Marquesa took another drink from her glass before putting it aside and gracefully rising from the chaise lounge she had been resting on.

"A tour, then?" She gestured with a hand toward the door through which the dark maiden had entered. Together, they left through it. She guided Triel back down the corridor, taking a turn down the major artery into the guts, if you will, of the building. Several wards led off the artery - long-term care, isolation ward, emergency care, so forth. The appointments were comfortable for the patients and easy to use for the staff. There were always several thaumaturgists available, and any number of pages scurrying to and fro to provide any reference material. A team of nurses that oversaw the pharmacy and its contents - and that pharmacy was certainly interesting. Behind a locked door guarded by a narrow-eyed, suspicious pair of males with no visible weapons, it contained shelves and shelves of herbs and potions both obscure and common.

Down yet another wing were the 'cells,' as she had called them. It was like a honeycomb; dozens of hallways with doorways leading off them. Choosing one, the Marquesa opened it and stood aside. The room was a decent size and contained a comfortable-looking bed, a desk with a chair, and a set of shelves, which held clothes, books, and whatever personal effects the person who lived within might own. There was a little curtained off area in the back that presumably held a little bath; there was a larger communal bath with gravity-fed showers and luxurious tubs, but all rooms seemed to have at least the basic sanitary needs. The furniture in the rooms didn't change, but the little touches did. A rug here and there, a colorful blanket on another bed. Those rooms that were on the outer walls enjoyed high windows that let in the light; other rooms might have a plant, or some other small decoration.

"What do you think so far?"
Old December 18, 2009, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Darkly Delicious

It seemed that this woman was not as fond of fish as most people on the islands. The dark maiden tucked that little nugget of information away for future reference, like not trying to surprise her tutor with a fish gift basket or something along those lines. She finished off the bread and cheese that she had and took another swig from her wine, also setting it to one side. It seemed they were getting ready to have a bit of a wonder. "That would be most welcome." Triel rose from her seat, chainmail armour rustling slightly from the movement. She was certainly well armed and armoured, which some might find odd for a practitioner of the healing arts. However, she considered it a necessity in-case her skills were ever required in a battle. Hard to heal someone if you're also injured.

Wandering around the complex, the Vysstichi woman noticed that there was a lot to take in. The place was certainly a lot bigger than where she worked, and it was also much, much better staffed. That simple fact meant it ran like clockwork. Everything was better organised and they seemed to have pretty good stocks of various different herbs and remedies. Obviously, better financial backing meant a better ran institution. Still, Triel couldn't help but feel they did well by the people of Ieffreon in the healing ward. True, it wasn't as well staffed or well stocked as this place, but they still did very, very well in keeping people alive and healthy.

Soon enough, they came to what had been called the 'cells', though they reminded Triel more of dormitories than anything else. If she intended to stay here, which might need to happen depending on how long her training would take, then she'd be comfortable for sure. Soon enough, she was asked for her opinion of the place, and it was something she was happy to give. "Very clean, well staffed, very well organised and you have a good selection of remidies to help people. The living quarters are also better than I expected." It seemed that the Vysstichi woman was more than a little impressed.

Old December 18, 2009, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Former Staff

The noblewoman smiled at the positive report that Triel gave, inclining her head in acknowledgement of the praise. "We do try our best to run a good facility. My husband and I have found that it costs less to run the place as we do, than it does in the smaller, less funded wards. I think it has more to do with the efficiency." She opened a hand palm-up in a brief shrug.

Continuing to walk, she led Triel down to the last wing, a place that was made up entirely of libraries and classrooms. The classes were quite small, no more than four students to a teacher, regardless of the nature of instruction - thaumaturges and herbalists alike. Most of the people they passed didn't take notice of them. Those that did, bowed slightly in deference to the Marquesa but didn't deviate from their assigned task. By a circuitous path, she brought them back to the offices that Triel had first come to.

"That concludes the tour. Tomorrow, we will visit the wards in depth and test out your spells and talents before we make use of the classrooms and begin your true instruction. This should prove an interesting experience for us both." Her guide smiled, touching Triel's arm lightly before turning away to open the door.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: