Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Eunesia > Secyclion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old October 19, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Luminary

Kayla is an upstanding Citizen
[Balnea Apo Arthro Evgenis] Looking into the water

13th of Junctior. Autumn. Era XVI

When Kayla woke up that brightening she had an odd feeling about her. The past few darkenings Kayla had been having odd dreams. Dreams she couldn't really explain. Nothing in them had been cohesive, they didn't so much tell a story but rather showed a collection of flashing pictures. She didn't know what any of it was suppose to mean. She saw rippling waters, flickering candles and dancing smoke. What are these dreams trying to tell me? What does it all mean?

Being a follower of Kaimelea made Kayla always try to see her dreams as more than a restless mind finding a way to entertain itself during dark hours. But Kayla had never finished her training, she had never fully become a member of the reverie. While she might know that something was wrong within her dreams, she was never able to tell what it was that was wrong. This made for some very frustrating dreams.

She looked out into the ocean through the window in her room. Its vastness calmed her. Something about it made Kayla feel like everything would uncover itself and there would be peace and understanding in the end. That's why she liked water so much, it made her feel serene. So when she couldn't figure out what her dream was trying to tell her, Kayla seeked water.

The harbors were always populated with ships and many people so Kayla found somewhere quieter, somewhere she could hear her thoughts. The first thing that came to her mind was a bathhouse, and according to the Traveler's Lodge employees, Balnea Apo Arthro Evgenis was one of the island's best.

Once she was there Kayla paid for her entrance and found a quiet empty corner in the water. She sat on the ledge with her chiton pulled up so that her legs were bare and waded in the water.

Old October 26, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ragman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious Superhero

The exclusive baths caters, not surprisingly to an exclusive clientele. Even before entering, Kayla would notice the patrons to this building were all draped in finery, and were always accompanied by a string of retinue that weren't permitted into the bathing areas.

In many ways the Islanders were like her people -- the Gypsies. Their reverence for life and passion for living it to the fullest were synonymous. Their culture was colorful, and they celebrated it fully with dance, music and making merry. They were unabashed and a race of colorful, unique people. Other than the obvious costume differences, the Islanders and the Gypsies could easily identify comfortably their people's similar manner of life.

The conversations taking part were also decidedly different from what Kayla would be listening to if she had gone to the public Bath of the Toichios Kikkimos -- instead of mundane complains of routine life, the conversations here were much more sophisticated and perhaps much more relevant to Kayla considering it was her maiden sojourn to the Red Island of Eunesia.

To her right, the young Gypsy could see a trio of women soaking in the tepid waters, washing their hair as they squeezed the water out of their lovely strands. They were middle-aged and had the fair complexion that betrayed their heritage as non-Islanders... which was fortunate for Kayla because they were speaking Common instead of Eunesian, which was the likely mode of communication if they were indeed natives to these colorful Isles.

"... At least the Hunt had died down, and we could return to the semblance of peace we once knew..." The women nearest to her began, her accent decidedly Enamorian, and there was the slightest touch of Elfin that rolled off her tongue easily.

"Yes, Secyclionian men tire me sometimes with their tales of bravado and their need to flex with muscles at every singular opportunity." The one in the middle chimed in agreement as she leaned against the edge of the wall of the pool. The other two nodded as the first woman spoke again.

"Oh and don't get me started on the droves on Mainlanders that had arrived ever since the announcement for the Hunt was published on the Herald... everyone wanted a piece of... you-know-who."

"The Bone Woman?"

"Don't say her name, Isabella! They said just be saying it could summon her to this very spot." Isabella flashed Kayla and the other patrons around her an apologetic look on behalf of her friend as they realized that her outburst had drawn some attention to the three.

"You're turning as crazy as the Secyclionians, Valeria." Isabella, the first woman who spoke with the Enarmorian accent shook her head, before she continued.

"They'll never catch her, you know, she's a clairvoyant. She would divine the dangers before they descend upon her..."
Old October 26, 2009, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Luminary

Kayla rejoiced at the sound of a language she understood. Her ears had grown tired of never knowing what it was that people were saying around her. But now she did, these women were speaking Common and even if they had only been reciting a grocery list Kayla would have been thankful to hear familiar words. But they weren't talking of cabbages or celery, oh no, they spoke of something of much more interest to the gypsy girl. A bone woman? Could she be dead, perhaps a skeleton would explain? But then why would they fear her? Apparently, this bonewoman was of common knowledge to these women and to the locals as well. She however, not understanding the local tongue, knew nothing of this mysterious creature of a woman.

Slowly Kayla stripped off her clothes as the other women had and sunk herself into the water. She reemerged from the water, letting her hair fall over her shoulders and mask her chest. They might have been women but modesty is always appreciated. She made her way to the water near by the women, staying close to the edge. Once she was close she placed one hand on the ledge.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry to intrude, but it's just nice to hear people speaking Common. You were saying something about a clairvoyant? What do you know of this person?"

She had heard of the Air'riela form of divination and fortune telling all her childhood, she even knew some women who had an uncanny ability to guess what would happen before it did. But no one in her kumpaniya had actually pursued this so called 'skill' or 'gift'. She had never given it a second thought. From a young age she had started having weird dreams, they were never specific or detailed, just flashes of seemingly unconnected things. Often those things ended up coming together at a later time. She had seen her parents' split, her arrival at Demios and now her current constant dreams. The problem was that she was never able to tell what they meant before they clearly slapped her across the face. She had always thought that these dreams were due to her connection to Kaimelea, the Planetar of dreams, but maybe they were something else. And if this Bonewoman was truly a clairvoyant then maybe it really was possible, maybe the stories she'd heard as a child were real.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ragman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious SuperheroRagman is a glorious Superhero

The three turned, clearly as surprised as Kayla was to be hearing someone speak Common. Indeed, it wasn't many inhabitant's first language and they appraised her for a moment before smiling back politely in return. They were perhaps a few Eras older than Kayla, nothing more, and perhaps it was that similarity in age that was instantly identifiable.

"Not a local are you?" One of them asked, though it was obvious from Kayla's coloring that she wasn't. The woman relaxed slightly from the initial surprise at being accosted, and resumed bathing themselves while talking to the gypsy at the same time.

"Well, I suppose if you aren't local it's alright if we tell you about her, Secyclionians get cagey when the topic of the Bone Woman comes up." Another one quipped as she dipped her hair sideways into the warm waters.

"She's a local urban myth -- apparently a witch woman who possess strange powers of divination. They say she's related to the Oracle of Chelseanna... that they're sisters." The dark haired woman who seemed the more outspoken of the trio continued though keeping a distance between Kayla and herself as she spoke.

"Some believe she is a powerful necromancer, others call her charlatan... and then of course there are these rumors that there are people who look for her that end up disappearing..." She paused for a moment, then sighed. There was something in the tone of her voice that simply discredit all of it as the product of an overactive imagination and that she doesn't believe any of it for a second.

"Whatever the case is, people still look for her, because it is said that she is able to divine their fortunes and predict events that will happen in their lives so that people might be able to avert it. In that same line of thought, it seems she only allows people she wishes to see to actually find her... and not the other way round." At this point, one of her companions interjected casually.

"The thing that is real however, are people that worship her, and had formed a Cult in her name -- the Bone Cult has been a social danger to the Islanders, kidnapping children and killing people seemingly in her name and for her honor -- which is why people are now hunting for her, now that the entirety of Eunesia has been riled up in some foolish Necromantic Hunt."
Old November 3, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Luminary

A small laugh escaped Kayla's lips, "no, I'm not a local. From Demios, actually and Jaedaxia before that."

She hadn't heard of the Oracle of Chelseanna but the woman made the name sound like it was part of common knowledge so Kayla dared not show her ignorance. This was something she'd have to find out more about at a later time. Instead, Kayla focused on the other part of that same statement. Strange powers of divination? Kayla wondered if this woman's supposed powers were in any way connected to the Air'riela powers fortune telling. Growing up she was told of these abilities and how if you embraced such a skill and trained it you could eventually be able to do things few others could. She had never been one of those people who had chosen to embrace 'the sight'. Her mother was a skeptic when it came to divination and so Kayla did not grow up in an environment where seeing the future in your dreams was something you'd mention at the dinner table.

If this woman really did exist and actually possessed the powers she was said to possess maybe she could help me. If these dreams are real, I would love to expand this ability, be able to use 'the sight' in other forms or divination. It would bring me closer to my people's culture.

Unlike most people, Kayla didn't want to know of her fortunes. She had little interest in knowing about what could happen before it did. You can't change destiny, fate can't be altered. Some things are set in stone. What was she saying? How could someone with that point of view even believe they could possess a gift like divination. It was so hypocritical, like a vegetarian who cooks steaks for others. But her way of thinking wasn't that exactly. It wasn't that the future was definite and unchangeable, it was more like she couldn't understand why people would want to change the future. Experiences, whether they are positive or not, are what shape your character and make you who you are. Sure there are some things in my past that I would have rather not experienced at the time but now I can see what happened, happened for a reason. Those things have let me grown and made me who I am.

Hearing of the disappearances seemed very odd to Kayla. If you could see the future surely you'd see these people coming before they had the chance to find you, and if that happened then why they never be seen again? No, Kayla would bet that any disappearances were to be blamed on this so called Cult.

"Hmm. It sure makes you think, what would cause a woman like that to want to see someone. What would you need to do or have in order for her to let you find her?" The last part Kayla said in a lower voice, mostly thinking to herself than actually asking.

Last edited by Kayla; November 11, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old November 11, 2009, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

The Oracle of Chelseanna was sometimes known as the 'Oracle of the Cold North' -- a figure head spread over the regions of the Arium Highlands, Carmelyan Hinterlands and the tropical islands of Eunesia. Hundreds upon hundreds flock to the northern most island of the Nesocratic Federation just to be enlightened by her every Era, for a price of course -- always, always a price. After all, the seeming ability to divine prophecies and change destinies aren't things that came cheap -- and there were always so many wanting to escape their fate.

And then Secyclion of course was home to her rumored and less known sister -- the Bone Woman.

"I wouldn't know, wouldn't dream of it, at any rate. Get kidnapped by her Cult?" The woman replied, shuddering. It was clear that whatever kind of reputation the Bone Woman had, it wasn't anything genial; but on contrary, a character that inspired fear within the populace of Secyclion. Whatever the woman was, it seems that the society already had a perceived notion about her and what she was capable of. The power of the mind of the mortals it seems. Reality was after all, all about the way someone perceives it to be.

"I've heard someone say she haunts in dreams, whatever that means." The blond woman, the youngest of the lot murmured somewhat absentmindedly as she moved to the edge of the pool and moved naked and unabashed toward a stone bench where retainers were already readied with a strigil that was a device that would scrap the dirt off her skin. She was out of the conversation for now, it seems.

"Wait... don't tell me, you're looking for her?" The dark haired woman turned, a poised expression of shock and astonishment on her face, as her other female companions too, seemed slightly taken aback; not offended, more surprised and fearful for Kayla.

"Take my advice, don't do it." She quipped, her face stern, smile evaporating; almost as if she was admonishing the younger Kayla.

"There are better things to do than to court a hapless death."

Last edited by Ragman; November 11, 2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old November 15, 2009, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Luminary

Being kidnapped by the Bone Woman's cult seemed a bit hard to do, one wouldn't normally get oneself kidnapped. If you want to go then it isn't really kidnapping is it. But if the opportunity should arise Kayla would try her best to go along with it until she was in the Bone Woman's presence. Kayla wondered if all those awful things were true. Although she should be cautious, the gypsy couldn't help but give the woman the benefit of the doubt. People often assumed that Kayla was a swindler because she was a gypsy. They often looked at her as a liar, a thief and a hustler. If she knew that she wasn't all those things, how could she hold it against this other woman the things that people said of her. It would be a double standard and Kayla believed in treating everyone equally no matter how bad things might look against one person.

She looked to the blonde woman as she spoke, dreams seemed to have a long meaningful history in Kayla's life. Her foresight, her deity and now this. Maybe they were all linked in a way. That's what she'd do then... But she had never induced her dreams, they just sort of came to her without her doing anything to make them come. Could she do this?

The dark haired woman spoke and Kayla looked at her, at first not quite sure as to what she'd say. "Umm, no. No, of course not. But why is it you look at me like I'm about to walk off a cliff? A minute ago you were just saying how this is all local mumbo jumbo. And should anything happen I can take care of myself, thank you." She playfully flexed an arm. "Grrr. Woe to whoever tries to bring me down."
Old November 17, 2009, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

"There may be a certain superstitious and exaggeration involved, but the Bone Cult... is a very real thing." The woman continued again, while her other companion moved out of the pool as well and laid down upon another stone bench to be tended to by her serfs. It was clear she was making an effort not to let her true emotion -- likely rebuking one, show, since really, it wasn't her place to mother a stranger she had just met.

She shook her head as she moved up, as if she found what Kayla was saying sad and troubling. In fact, once the gypsy has spent more time in Secyclion, she would notice that no one in the populace ever liked talking about the Bone Woman beyond passing comments -- it seemed it was as taboo a subject as death itself.

"It would be better not to make your wishes to see the Bone Woman be known public. The Cult has a morbid fascination for haling those people away in the middle of the Darkening under the premise of -- 'give them what they want, never what they ask for.'... the agents of the Bone Cult are many, and are everywhere." Casting her eyes around her to see if anyone was listening, more out of paranoia than anything else.

"Woe to anyone who becomes a victim to the Bone Woman." The woman shuddered and then with a brief nod of her head as if gesturing a good bye, she climbed out of the pool of water as well, and then without looking back, left the gypsy in the water, signaling the end of their conversation.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Luminary

The Bone Cult again. Again, there didn't seem to be any solid proof of them actually being led by the Bone Woman. Kayla had dealt with a cult once before, power hungry people taking the lives of those around them without a thought of the consequences. Cults like those had members who weren't completely stable minded. Those kinds of people scared Kayla. The gypsy had no problem with a ship full of pirates, a short-fused hobgoblin or a forest filled with giant spiders but crazy people did frighten her. There was something about an unstable person that made them too unpredictable.

But then again, she was also in a cult. One that worshipped Kaimelea. Yet she was not a crazy lunatic and neither were any of her sisters. But I have never killed any innocent being!

This Bone Cult would be something Kayla would have to watch out for. There were many of them and only one of her and she was in a foreign place where if she went missing no one would know. Better stay away from them. But there still must be a way to find this woman.

All the women had left the water so Kayla moved back to her original spot. After a moment of sitting on the ledge thinking and looking into the water, an idea came to her. She picked herself up, got dried off and clothed and left. On her way out Kayla inquired to a passerby where one would find a few things she was in need of and the robust woman told her to look for the Agora Kikkimos, The Red Market.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

It was by no means a short walk from the Arthro Galanos to the Toichos Kikkimos where the market was; but Kayla had the time to contemplate during her journey. The smell of the sea continuously wharf into her nose at the sea breeze brought along with it the smell of rain, and as she stepped upon the Red Wall of Secyclion, she could see the harbor spread out before her; swarming as the boats all took turns to return to the safety of the docks.

From the South, she could see storm clouds gathering, roiling over the skies. In the distance, the low rumble of air as ribbons of electric blue lightening flashed and tousled; flocks of gulls and other seabirds already fluttering back to the shores and cliffs to escape the impending storm.

The markets was a place where there was always something happening -- people were always trying to haggle; and there would be an overly rude customer in a fierce exchange a stall tender; someone calling out another's bluff. Hawkers trying to out price each other and the occasional scuffle, or simply watching some poor bastard get caught pickpocketing and then getting the most righteous beating of his life by the locals.

This Brightening's 'something' took the form of the hawkers rustling about trying to prevent their wares from getting soaked by the impending rain. Fair enough, there were shelters here and there; but the majority of the goods were displayed in open air. A scene common in Autumn given the rainy season of monsoon. People shouted, yelled and some laid covers over their products to prevent them from getting wet.

Others were doing it the old fashioned and exhausting way of hauling their wares under shelter though these are mostly perishables and food products that can't afford to be even slightly wet.

All around the gypsy woman, people were running, moving quickly to beat the storm. The smell of rain became thicker with every passing minute and a she entered the Agora Kikkimos, she suddenly received a very hard bump to her right shoulder and arm.

"Watch where you're going!" A tender screamed in Eunesian as she knocked into Kayla, bits of jewelry falling all over the ground as the mat she was holding all of them in fell apart in the collision; beads, pendants, bangles and bracelets littered all around, scattered by people moving about and kicking them without whim or thought.

Muttering, the elder woman squat down and began picking up the pieces, even as others continued with their affairs all around, none helping her to pick up the pieces whatsoever.
Old November 24, 2009, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Luminary

She liked the rain. No, scratch that; she loved the rain. Some people took thunder storms as bad omens but Kayla had always found them peaceful and calming. It was nature's way of washing everything. So to walk in the rain wasn't something that bothered the gypsy girl too much, she didn't really mind at all. She'd just gotten out of a bath, her hair was already wet, it's not like the rain was doing any damage. The walk however, was a different thing all together. She wore the traditional Secyclionian sandals which she wasn't yet completely comfortable with and so her feet ached. Most would choose the flat sandals over a pair of heels but Kayla was so used to walking on the tiny stilts she called shoes that her new flats felt foreign to her feet.

Just as she finally slowed down to give her feet a break, she was in someone's way. And it wasn't just anyone, it just happen to be an elderly woman holding jewelry. GREAT! Look what you have done! With a distressed look on her face Kayla dropped down to her knees. Her hands quickly tried to gather up the fallen accessories before they were trampled by the hurried steps of the merchants.

Kayla hadn't really understood the woman's words but she wasn't so stupid as to not know what she meant. Trying to put together a coherent sentence in the local language Kayla spoke in a slow and broken manner.

"Mmm.. Signomi? Umm, forgive me, Kyria?" she didn't mean to sound as if she were asking a question but her lack of knowledge of the language made Kayla hesitate when she spoke so she tried to mix in some Common. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me."

Kayla thought to herself that since she was in a marketplace and most merchants were running about with their goods that this woman was probably one of them. In an attempt to make up for her poor choice of time and place Kayla made an offer. She held up the first bangle that she could and looked towards the matron. While one of her hands held the bracelet the other was stepped on by a man carrying a crate of cabbages, he clearly had no intention of stopping to examine his damage. Biting down on her lower lip and cradling her hand Kayla spoke, her eyes straining with the pain of her fingers, "perhaps I could make a purchase to compensate for my lack of grace?"

She had really come to buy a glass bowl, maybe a few candles, but that could wait. Surely the glassware vendors weren't worried about their goods getting wet after all what would one do with a glass bowl or goblet without letting it get wet? No, that could be left for later, this poor woman needed her help now.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

"That one. Ten crowns." Clearly trying to rip Kayla off, but then again, she did say that she wanted to compensate. The elder woman turned toward her and curled her lip almost in an intimidating manner; clearly not entirely appreciative of the younger lady's inclination to make recompense; but then again, this was the real life -- nice people rarely finished first, if they even finished at all. These were tough times, after the Longest Winter that had left people all over the Kingdom struggling on the cusp of life and death; and for those who survived, it was a quick return to the scrupulous and trying method of trying to make ends meet.

If she did whip out the crowns for the woman, the elder would be on her way, suddenly much more happy and smiling, though she skittled away quickly as if worried that the gypsy might suddenly change her mind -- and she was clearly not having that -- not even picking up the rest of the jewelry that had fallen off.

After all, Kayla had just paid her roughly an equivalent of her Cycle's earnings. Kayla's choice of bracelet consisted of blood colored resin beads that had dark black streaks running through the oblique shaped beads. Her other hand stung with the weight of the man who had just trampled on her; though there was no lasting damage; and just a temporary sore. The bracelet itself was pretty, though certainly not worth the price she had just paid.

When the gypsy was on her way however, she could see that the moment of panic around the Red Market was already passing, and the first drops of rain had began to fall -- fat, wet drops landing as those stall tenders who still haven't managed to transport their goods to safety began to move faster, muttering panicked orders to the others. In just a few more moments, the storm would truly be upon them, cool winds breezing through as the rain fell.

A sudden hand appearing and then grabbing her on the wrist, painfully, as the small framed woman found herself being yanked roughly toward a man. He was perhaps a decade older, with a face full of beard and thick, wiry hair on his arms. Wrapped in a simple tunic and a Secyclionian feyenella. His eyes were hard though they were not malicious. Each orb stared intently at the girl, as if he wanted to make a point.

"You be careful what you wish for. Kyria. I heard what you said at the bathhouse." The man released her after the admonition, and then before she could say anything else, had turned to disappear into the fleeting crowd.

If Kayla didn't give chase immediately, she would never find him again; then again, why would she, a woman in a foreign City do something as witless as this?

Last edited by Ragman; November 28, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old November 28, 2009, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Luminary

Ugh, maybe this isn't as sweet an old lady as I thought. But rather than prolonging this unpleasant transaction, Kayla just handed the woman the crowns she asked for. When the elderly lady sped away Kayla looked at her with a worried look. She herself hadn't truly seen a horrible winter, something about Kayla's luck always seemed to find herself a roof and plate of warm food. But she realized that others weren't as lucky and so the gypsy let the woman go, instead she stayed and continued to pick up whatever pieces of jewelry were left behind in addition to her bracelet. I paid her, I might as well get my money's worth.

The rain didn't bother her as it seemed to bother the locals. I don't understand how people who live surrounded by water could be afraid of getting a little wet. Rain wasn't bad. Wind wasn't bad either. But when they combined, the rain turned into a cold sharp weapon beating down on those walking the streets. Daggers falling from the sky.

Kayla stifled a scream as her already-throbbing wrist was hurt even further. The man was much larger than Kayla and could probably easily do away with the girl should he wish to. She didn't have her rapier with her, after all who brings a sword to a bathhouse, but she did have her dagger with her. A lady must never go anywhere without a means of protection. But this wasn't an ordinary dagger, oh no, it was special. She'd gotten it in a cave in Demios. A cave that had been overtaken by a cult. Yes, she wasn't a complete stranger to the concept of cults and the such, which was why she didn't easily give up. Not even after the man's words.

He heard what I said? How could he have heard, I didn't notice any men in that area. And did he follow me the whole way through to here? Why didn't I notice anything! Stupid! You must pay more attention to your surroundings!

As soon as he let go of her hand Kayla's feet were following his. She tried to make herself unnoticed and dodged the people walking by. This was when her small frame and quick, dancer's feet came in handy. Her hand lowered and pressed against her thigh, she could feel the hilt of the dagger strapped to her leg. Hopefully I won't have to use you.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Former Staff

The rest of the bracelets she could find that were still in wearable condition consisted of a simple one consisting of blue and white beads braided together with reeds and a silver joint; while another was green, and had flecks of natural white in the resin based circular beads.

Other parts laid broken, with multi-colored beads that it was a wonder that no one tripped and fell right on their faces; though clearly it wasn't the beads that grasped Kayla's attention next.

Maneuvering through the scattering crowd was far more difficult than she had thought; and with people rushing about here and there -- it wasn't just a simple straight chase; but required the gypsy woman to dart around the moving people and try her very best not to knock into someone again.

The man had a slight headstart, but he wasn't very much faster than Kayla and was indeed facing the same problems that the girl was -- having to circle around stall tenders and at one point even tripped and fell, giving the gypsy ample time to make up for the distance he had at first.

If Kayla moved to the right where the path diverted, she would be able to perhaps cut him off; though they were soon at the other end of the Agora and the rest of Toichos Kikkimos laid ahead. In the twisting, warren array of Secyclion domiciles, it would be almost impossible to catch him, given she sorely lacked the local knowledge of the terrain.

What the girl was oblivious to; of course, was that she was being followed. Perhaps the man's warning was simply to bait her; to lure her away from the public eye so that they could pounce when she was alone. Whatever the case was, there were now six men moving toward Kayla's position from all around the markets though they did so with such coordination and subtlety that it did little to rouse suspicion.

The Bone Cult was on the hunt.
Old December 2, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Luminary

Dodge, turn, push, avoid and dodge again. People going in every direction got Kayla confused up to the point where she came up with a rhythm for getting through the crowd. Having to once duck as a man tried carrying a step ladder and almost hit her, Kayla momentarily lost sight of the man she pursued. But that small gap where her eyes left her target was not enough of a hinderance, he fell to the ground and Kayla took the opportunity to speed up her pace. She thanked the gods for her thin figure as it allowed her to maneuver through the throng of people without as much a struggle as she might've had, had she been larger.

The pain on her wrist had turned into only a small ache, lost in the gypsy's thoughts. Who is he anyway?

Calm down dear, I'm sure this won't be much of a problem. I cannot understand why you'd want to go after this Bone Woman, doesn't sound like the pleasant kind to me at all. Why don't we just head back to Demios, I must say I do miss that Lydia girl. She is always such a serene being to be around.

Her dagger was talking to her. To most this might be odd but not Kayla. Talan Tunderchild was a magical dagger Kayla released from an arcane block of ice while in her mission within the Demiosian mountains. The dagger had the ability to communicate with its owner through thoughts as well as combust in flames when wielded in battle. Although Kayla had yet to use him, Talan informed Kayla that those flames would only harm those who sought out to harm her.

We can't go back home, not just yet. I need to see where this goes. There is an aspect of me that I must look into. And gypsies are hard to find, always moving from city to city, I wouldn't know where to start. Plus, even if I did find some by extreme luck, there is no guarantee that any of them would be in touch with this skill. I have heard some things about a woman in Zinn'Sunn, but that will be for another trip. Oh calm yourself, you'll see Lydia soon enough.

Well fine, but I still think this is a bit on the reckless side. But as you wish...

Oops, there it was. She'd almost missed it. The perfect little chance to catch up completely with the man. Stepping over a puddle Kayla went to her right. With any luck this would have been the right move
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: