Old December 18, 2010, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Location: Current: Emerald River; Grandfathered: Secyclion, Arconis
Wealth Tier: Sterling
Leto Karme is a benevolent Adventurer

Cutting the Gems 2 (Private)

Timestamp: 1st of Immanis, In the Season of Winter, Era XVII

Leto had finally gotten his shop opened up fully, with a new forge, as well as all of the furnishings needed for it to make it a proper jewelcrafting shop. It was a small forge, and had costed him about five hundred crowns, but it would do for now until he could get a better one. Smiling as he looked around, a customer walked through the door, and a jingle of the little bell above it could be heard. Leto turned around and looked towards her, a secyclid woman whom smiled and cocked her head a bit as she looked at the boy, whom was only seventeen Eras, almost eighteen eras of age.

"Well, my my, aren't you a little young to be running a shop on your own?" she asked him. Leto looked towards her with his sapphire hued orbs, and said, "No, try me, I think i'll make a pretty decent shop owner, everyone has to start out somewheres, right?" As he asked the question the woman smiled, and then asked, "Well, how about I make myself your first customer?"

Leto smiled, and took out a piece of parchment and a quill. "Well, here is what I can do," he said pushing forwards the techniques list with pictures drawn of what everything looked like. "And here are the materials I can do them with," he said with a smile, showing her the secondary list. As she briefly scanned over them, she smiled and then said, "I'll have a silver ring, with a bar setting, and a tourmaline as the gem..."

"Any particular cut you wished to have on it?" asked Leto as he looked towards her. "I can do Emerald, Round, Square, or Baguette... or a Cabochon cut, whichever is preferable to you, though the Cabochon is usually used for buttons or things of that sort, not really rings, though It can be modified to be fitted in a ring..." he said. "I think I'll go with the emerald cut," she said with a smile. Leto took out a roll of measuring tape, and then said, "What finger will this be for? I'll need to measure your finger and knuckle width to make sure I get it correct before creating the ring."

Holding her hand out gingerly, she smiled, and then said, "For my right ring finger..." And with that Leto went about measuring her finger, and making sure that it had the right width and everything for when he made the ring for her. "Our waiting period is about a cycle, gives me time to get everything in order... the cost of the ring and tourmaline will be about a hundred crowns..." he said smiling. "And you pay for the finished product, once you see how it fits on you," he then said. The woman smiled, and then said, "I'll be back in a cycle then, have a good brightening!" And with that, she left Leto to his thoughts so that he could start working upon her ring...
Leto Karme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

As Leto began to work on one of his first projects, he smiled as he looked around his workshop. He was almost eighteen eras old, and would soon become what some might call a man, even though he retained his boyish looks quite a bit. Sitting down at the workbench, he smiled as he began to pull out his jewelcrafting tools. Taking out the ring size blank, he looked at it briefly before setting it aside. Pulling out his sand casting kit, he took a bunch of rings that he had already presized, and created via the ring size blank, and then found the one that was the woman's size.

First he would take frames of the appropriate size for the sand cast, and then lay them down on the bench. Then he would take some sand, and prepare it so that it's consistency was near perfect if not perfect. He would then fill the cope up with the sand and tamp it down, but leave enough room for the molding within it. Then he'd place the ring mold he had taken for the women's size into the sand cope, and place the drag frame over the cope frame. He'd then secure the frames, finish filling the frames with sand and tamp it down properly. Then he would take a tunneling pipe and create tunnels to reach down to the metal. Once that was completed, he would disassemble the cope and drag, remove the metal mold, and reassemble the cope and drag very carefully so as to not disturb the sand.

He'd then make his way over to the forge, and melt down a single ingot of silver, just enough to fit the ring mold. Once that was completed, he'd pour it into the mold and await for a few candlemarks while it cooled down. Once he tested it, and it was firm, he would then disassemble the cope and drag once more, and remove the finished ring. Cleaning the extra silver from the tunnel, he'd remelt it down into a very small ingot, so as to be able to reuse it when necessary. Taking the finished ring piece of the entire ring, he would then polish it up, and prepare it for soldering the bar setting onto it.

Once he was ready, he would light a candle as it was starting to near the darkening, and make sure he had enough light to continue on into the darkening. The ring was completed, now he had to work on the bar setting, and finally the emerald cut of the tourmaline...
Old January 14, 2011, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hero

So, as the darkening began, so did Leto in working dilligently upon the bar setting of the ring. She wanted a single gem in the center of the ring, with a bar setting to hold it in place. Taking two pieces of wiring, he would solder them onto the ring, very carefully, so as to make them perfect in their image of a bar setting. Now, he had to find a good piece of tourmaline to fit into the ring, and check it's quality.

Taking out the tourmaline that he did have, he looked towards it, and checked it's color to make sure it didn't have any various discolorations before working upon it. Once he was sure the gem was decent, he would start to cut it. As he began to cut the gem, grinding it down to get an approximate size, he would put on his jeweler's loupe to magnify the gem so that he could see it better whilst cutting it. As he grinded it down very carefully, he would then take out a file, and start filing the facets into the gem, using a standard faceting technique.

After he did this, he would work to facet it into the emerald shape, with a brilliant cut, so that more light was reflected out of it, and it would shine better in a lighted area. As he dilligently worked throughout the night, he would finally decide to take a break, and head back to Tepenny's manor to sleep for the night. Upon the morning of the next brightening, he would return to his work to continue working upon the gem, while he had no other customers.

As he continued his work upon the gem, he suddenly heard the bell above the door ring, signifying that someone had entered the shop. Making his way downstairs, he took off his jeweler's loupe, and saw the person standing there. It happened to be an older secyclid male, darker skinned, wearing a toga and abolla. "Good brightening Sir!" said Leto immediately, his eyes looking towards the man. "Was there something I could help you out with today?" The man gave a curt nod, and then said, "You're the jeweler that runs this shop?" Leto nodded, and he laughed. "I had expected to see someone a bit older," the man said, making Leto blush a bit.

"Well, i'm a professional in my work, and can do a variety of things with gems and jewelry, so i figured I might as well open my own shop," he said with a slight smile and nod of the head. The man grinned, and then said, "Well, lets see what you can do for me." And with that, he began to look towards the papers posted on the front desk saying what techniques were available. As he looked and shuffled through them, he finally looked up to Leto and said, "I think I like the box chain... brass, with silvering over it. I don't want anything too expensive, but i'd like it to look expensive, would that do?"

As the man asked the question, Leto smiled, and then said, "Yes, that should do, How long did you want the necklace?" he asked, and then said, "Did you want it as a choker? or perhaps a little longer such as a matinee length?" The man nodded, and then said, "I'll take it at a matinee length, about twenty inches or so." Leto continued to write down his order, and then asked, "Did you want any gems on the necklace?" The man shook his head and then said, "No gems, just the chain, and thank you for doing this." Leto nodded his head and said, "Not a problem, it should be done within a cycle's time..." The man nodded, and then said, "I should be back by then." And, with that, he left the shop.

With Leto being left to his own devices once more, the boy went upstairs again, and began to finish the work on the emerald cut of the gem. Finally, he'd attach it to the ring, and look at the completed project. This is some decent handywork, he thought, and then carefully wrapped it up, and put it in a drawer marked "Completed" with the order paper he had written up for it attached to the order...
Old January 14, 2011, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

Since he had completed the woman's order, and the ring was done, he would start upon the man's order. Looking at his sheet of parchment, the boy could see that the man had wanted a box chain, matinee length, made out of brass with silvering over it. Smiling, he went over to get out some of the brass ingots he had used the store's funds to get, and then took them over to the forge. He would have to melt them down into little boxes that he could fold together around each other then solder them together. Working dilligently again, he put on his jeweler's loupe and took out his box mold that was specifically for making the little flat pieces of brass that needed to be made to create the box chain.

He'd have to make a bunch of them at once, and luckily the mold could fit twenty of them together. So he'd melt down the brass, and then pour it into the mold, covering it with the top, and then waiting for it to cool off and harden. As it did, he'd continue to repeat the process, but while he was repeating it, he'd start to silver the pieces that he had created already and get them ready to be made into the chain. Continuing onwards, he'd work into the nighttime making box chain pieces and then silvering them to prepare them for the jewelry.

Falling asleep in his workshop once he was completed, he would then awaken the next brightening to a plate full of these little silver box chain pieces. Taking each of them, he'd use the pliers, and start to fold them into the box formation over one another, soldering them closed with real silver to keep the coloring the same. As he did this, it only used a wee bit of silver to solder all of them, but after working for quite a few candlemarks, he finally finished with the necklace. Just in time for the door bell to ring once more.

Taking off his jeweler's loupe, and heading downstairs, he would see it was a boy a little younger than him, but with an attitude of an adult. "Chairete, how may I help you today?" asked Leto. "I want a set of earrings, both matching studs with garnets as the gem within them. A claw setting, and a round shape to it. Can you make these for me? They are a gift for my mother..." Leto nodded towards the boy and then asked, "Did you want those silver, brass, bronze, or copper?" The boy smiled and said, "Silver please!" As he spoke, Leto wrote down his order on another piece of parchment, and then when he was finished writing it down, he said, "A set of them will be two hundred crowns, you can pay when you pick them up in a cycle." A smile crossed his face, and the boy nodded and then left. With that, Leto had another task to work on that brightening, even as the darkening was approaching once more...
Old January 15, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

As Leto began to work upon the earrings, he would start off by making the earring stud and then work upon the gem he needed to craft to fit the stud. Creating the claw setting was not difficult at all, he'd just simply take out two of his earring moldings, melt down some silver, and then put it within the molding to create the necessary claw setting for the gems he'd be working with. As that was cooling down, he took out two garnets, and held them up side by side. Sifting through the garnets til he found two that were quite similar in color, he smiled, and set them aside.

Opening up the earring mold once it had finished it's cooling off, he would take out both of the matching earings, and look at them to make sure they didn't have any blemishes from the metal cooling off to quickly, otherwise he'd have to make another set and try to cool it off slower. Sapphire eyes scanned them, and once he was satisfied they didn't have any blemishes, he set them aside, and allowed his focus to return to the garnets at hand. Slowly and diligently working, he'd use the saw to cut the garnets into small squares. He'd then start to grind them down with his grinder, working on creating standard facetting to the gems, and after ever facet he created, he'd immediatly file it a bit to make sure it was flat, and then would move onto the next facet.

As he worked on each facet very carefully, he'd finish the first garnet with little to no difficulty. Placing the emerald shaped garnet into the first earring, he'd fold the prongs upwards to secure the garnet, and hold it in indefinitely and perfectly. Then he'd start to work upon the second garnet, sawing, grinding, and finally filing away the facets upon it to create another one of roughly the same size as the first, two matching garnets for two matching silver stud earrings. Smiling as he completed this project, he noticed how late it was, and closed his shop up, returning to the Lady Tepenny's for the evening to catch some well needed rest, after having marked the order for the earrings "Complete" and placing it in the completed order drawer with the ring and necklace he had most recently completed.

The next morning, he'd awaken, head back to his shop, and reopen it, in hopes of having some more customers. When he didn't have any within the first few candlemarks, he decided that he'd work on making some examples of jewelry to get some practice in, as well as allowing people to see what he could make, and what his skill level was with crafting them, how much of a professional he really was. Deciding upon a tourmaline ring, much like the one he had crafted for the woman, he decided to make four of them, each having a bar setting, but having one of the four different standard shapes that he knew; emerald, round, square, or Baguette.

Dilligently working on using the sand casting as he had done before, he would create four rings, each out of brass, and then would create a bar setting upon them. This took several candlemarks, so while he was letting everything cool down, he also began to make a necklace, out of silver, that he would have a claw setting between each of the chain links, and would carve an emerald shaped tourmaline to fit within it. Most of doing this took all brightening, and since he didn't have any customers, he worked well into the night to create these works of art to show customers perhaps his ability within working with the gems that he knew how to use.

Once he had finished with the brass tourmaline rings, as well as the necklace, he'd call it a night, and head back to the Lady Tepenny's so as to rest up for the next brightening, when he'd get back to work on more various projects and examples to show customers...
Old January 15, 2011, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

Deciding to do a laquering demonstration, or have a few gems that needed various cuts, and laquered to enhance their shine and color, he would do just that. Sapphire eyes looked towards his previous work, and decided to create an emerald cut of jasper, and then laquer it so that he could show how laquering enhances the shine and color of a gemstone to his customers. Smiling as he continued his work throughout the brightening, he would quickly saw the jasper to a respectable size, and then start to grind it's facets out, filing them away afterwards to create the standard facetting he was so used to doing by now.

After making the facets, and creating the rectangular stone shape that the emerald shaping looked like, he would then take out a paint brush with the bottle of laquer, and star to gently laquer the gemstone, not making it too thick in any one area so that it was even throughout. He'd wear his jeweler's loupe when working on this, so that he didn't make any mistakes as he wanted to have a perfect example for customers to ooh and ahh at. Then he decided to do a baguette cut of jasper as well so they had different examples to look at. Working upon it, and then finally finishing it, he smiled and looked at the end results, two shapings of jasper, both brilliant cuts, one emerald and the other baguette, both laquered to enhance their color and shine.

Once he was finished, he took his gems, as well as tourmaline rings and the tourmaline necklace down to the display cases within his shop, and put them on display so that they might gain some reputation by his customers from looking at them, and also so they could see how skilled he was in jewelcrafting. Looking around his shop for a bit, he smiled, and then went outside and sat down on the doorstep to contemplate his next move, what he could do to bring more business into his shop. Perhaps fliers of parchmet posted around the Toiches Kikkimos? No, that would be too time consuming. He'd just have to wait for word of mouth from his current customers to spread around the town, so that he'd gain more clients that wished to have jewelry made for them.

He'd need to improve his talents and skills though if he was ever to get a larger customer base, and repeat customers, as well as if he was to ever beat the competition that happened to be within the Agora he was sure of. Heading back inside, he'd continue to work over the next few candlemarks at making a matinee length garnet necklace, from what he decided to make something exquisite for his talents to show customers. The type of necklace would be a cable chain, which would have round links. He'd put a garnet about every inch between the round links, embedded in a claw setting. But before he added the gemstones in, he'd make the necklace out of brass, and silver the entire thing to make it look expensive even though it was actually much cheaper just with a coating of silver upon the top of it.

Then he'd finally cut the garnets into a round shaping, with a brilliant cut and standard facets. Once he was completed with that, he'd put each of them into the claw setting, and the necklace which was a matinee length would almost be completed. all that was left was to make a clasp, and he chose to make a barrel clasp and connect it to both ends of the chain. Clasping it together, he would then put it as a main display in the center of the store, so that when customers entered, they'd be able to see a beautifully crafted piece of professional jewelcrafting work done and see his talents right away. As he improved though, he'd switch that piece of artwork out for an even better, more extravagant piece of work.

Once that was done, he would then retire for the brightening, as it was now the darkening, and closing up his shop, would return to the Lady Tepenny's for the night, falling into a deep slumber for the next brightening to arrive upon his doorstep...
Old January 15, 2011, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

Over the next few brightenings, Leto worked constantly at making jewelry examples, and creating various works of art for his customers to look at and see. Finally though, it arrived the time when his first customer would return to the store, and pick up her ring...

As the door opened and the bell rung, Leto happened to be upstairs working on another project. Getting up, and heading downstairs, he would see it was the very first customer that he had ever had within his store. The woman had returned, and Leto was overwhelmed with anxiety and excitement at the same time. He hoped that he had done a find job on the ring, and looking towards her, he smiled, and then said, "Chairete, Have you returned for your ring?" he then asked, and the woman smiled, and then said, "That I have, is it all ready?"

Leto nodded, and then said, "Give me a minute, i'll go an get it for you..." With that, the boy made his way up the stairs, and into the second floor where he kept all of the completed projects. Sifting through the completed drawer, he finally found the one he was looking for. It was a silver tourmaline ring that he had crafted for her the very first brightening that his shop was open. Taking it out, as well as the order sheet, he made his way down the stairs, and looked towards her. Opening the little box that it was stored in, he showed it to her, and her eyes grew big with excitement. "This looks very finely crafted, great for someone of your level of training, very professionally done," she said picking up the ring, and then sliding it onto her finger.

"And it fits just right," she finished with a smile, taking out her bag of crowns. "Here are one hundred crowns, just as we agreed upon," she said with a smile, and as Leto took the money she then said, "I'll be sure to tell my friends about you, and see if they'd like to come in and get any jewelry as well. It definitely looks like Secyclion has some new jewelcrafter talent to contend with..." With that, she left the shop, happy with her purchase, and content that Leto had done a great job.

The boy himself was quite happy with himself, given that he had worked pretty hard to complete that ring in a timely fashion, as well as was able to do other projects after it was completed. He knew that his next customer, if coming on time, would arrive the very next brightening, so he went up stairs and gathered the project he had completed for the man, so that it was ready for the next brightening that the man would come in on.

He would continue to work on more projects that darkening, as late as he usually stayed there, and then would retire to the Lady Tepenny's for some well deserved rest, given he had succeeded on his first sale, and hopefully would do so with many more sales coming after it...
Old January 17, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hero

The next brightening arrived, and Leto was very much awake at it's beginning, as he usually was. Slowly getting up and out of bed, he looked up towards the ceiling, and then got dressed in his normal fashion, a toga with a abolla, and a feyanella wrapped around his waist. Making his way down to the jewelry shop, he unlocked it, opened the door, and entered. Heading upstairs, he decided that he would work on some random projects until he either had customers, or found something more productive to do.

Slowly, throughout the day, he kept getting few new customers in. When they would come in, he'd greet them kindly, and take down their orders on various sheets of parchment. Once completed, he'd give them an approximate date to check back on the project, either shorter or longer than the average cycle pending on what the project entailed. Then a man came in, and Leto recognized him as the one he had taken the necklace order for a few brightenings prior. As he watched the older man with sapphire eyes, he smiled, and then said, "Welcome back, give me just a moment, and i'll get your order for you..."

Within moments, Leto ran upstairs, opened the completed orders drawer, and pulled out the packaging the brass, silver coated, box chain necklace was stored within. Taking it downstairs along with the order form, he looked towards the man, and opened up the box for him to take the necklace out and wear it to see if it fit, and whether or not the purchase would satisfy him. "This fits well," he said, and he took it off again and scanned over the box chain to make sure not a single box had any brass showing, and it was specifically the silver coating that was showing. "And it looks like no brass is showing from what I can see... I'd say a job well done, how much do I owe you?" he then asked. Leto smiled, and said, "That piece is a hundred crowns, plus twenty for the silver coating, so one hundred and twenty crowns all together."

The man nodded, and then pulled out a change purse, taking out the necessary amount of crowns for the purchase he was making. "Here you are boy, you've done a fantastic job with this, and i'll definitely be making more purchases from you in the future..." he said, and then left the store with his brand new necklace around his neck. Leto smiled, and then went back to business as usual, knowing he had one more order in the completed orders drawer to give to a younger boy the next day, and would take care in it as it was a gift for his mother. But for now, he'd take a few more customer's orders, and then retire to the Lady Tepenny's for the evening...
Old March 4, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Upon returning to his store the next day, Leto began to work on various projects once more, when a boy walked into the store. It was the same boy that had ordered the garnet studded earrings. Smiling, Leto looked towards him, and then said, "Chairete, how are you?" The boy smiled, and approached Leto and then said, "I am good, have you finished my earrings?" he asked. Leto nodded, and then made his way upstairs to the drawer with the completed projects, and took out the little box with the earrings in it, only to bring it down and hand them over to the boy.

The boy smiled, and then said, "You have done a brilliant job with these!" as he looked towards them, and then left the shop with them as a gift to his mother. Leto smiled, and then went about his business for the day, working upon the various projects he had before him, and making more jewelry orders for any customers that came in that day. He would continue to run his business accordingly in hopes that he'd bring in more customers, and work harder at what he was doing. It would be a long while before he could make better jewelry, but with practice came skill, and he was certainly becoming more of a skilled jewelcrafter than he had ever imagined himself being.

Working diligently throughout the night, he'd continue on like this all season, making orders for customers, working on them, and then working to increase his business so as to make a lot more for the customers as they asked for more...

OOCThread Completed!
Old March 4, 2011, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Enjoys Cuirasses

Matariel is an upstanding Citizen

The contents of this thread have been approved!

PC Name Reward Experience Gained (Thread) + Seasonal
Leto Karme Jewelcrafting +2 XP +1 XP = 3 XP

Matariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

Wynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious Superhero

The contents of this thread have been approved!

PC Name Reward
Leto Karme 420 Crowns for Custom Orders  

Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: