Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Eunesia > Secyclion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old August 22, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Location: Current: Emerald River; Grandfathered: Secyclion, Arconis
Wealth Tier: Sterling
Leto Karme is a benevolent Adventurer

[The Agora] Selling and Buying (Mod please)

Timestamp: 1st of Ioannes, in the Season of Summer, Era XVII

The young boy had quite a bit of time on his hands recently, and leaving the manor, he went to the market, because he was in dire need of money. And having ten eyeball sized rubies in a satchel, the rest he had left at the Teppeny's manor, he was sure that he would be able to see two of the cut ones and eight of the uncut ones, so as to be able to make some money off of the adventuring he had done.

Arriving in the markets, a smile on his face, he would head to one of the nearest gem dealers, and look towards them. "Hello, Do you mind doing some business with me? In the form of selling some gems that i've retrieved from the Aeternia's Furnace?" he would ask the dealer, looking towards him with sapphire eyes aglow with energy that he had not felt in quite some time...

OOCMeant to be a quick buy and sell thread
Leto Karme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

Krait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious Superhero

"Chairete Kyrio, sure we don't mind doing business with you!" the nearest 'gem-dealer', some boy cheerily greeted Leto in perfect nevertheless accented common, which was quite rare coming from a local boy. He was younger, just barely over the age of puberty, short and slim, with the natives usual dark creamy skin, dark curly hair and eyelashes, and wide hazel eyes - the kind of youthful beauty the young boys of Secyclion were well known for. He wore the usual local attire, a white colored chiton, with soft leather sandals, although the leather collar around his neck was rather out of place. Maybe it was one of those weird latest fashion fad?

"Err, you want to sell gems?" the boy frowned, that was a rather unusual request. Usually random people popping up on the streets like Leto came to them to buy gems, not the other way around.

"Aethernia..... Aethernia's Furnace?" his eyes went even wider, admiration aglow that could almost rival Leto's. It was a well known dangerous place amongst the locals, and the fact Leto dared to brave the perils and came back alive, and with something was definitely no small feat indeed.

"Wow you must be an adventurer! One day I hope to go there and earn something for myself too! Was it dangerous? What happened? And what have you got? Let me see them, and let's see if we can work something out for your efforts!" he jabbered excitedly. Quite a talker this one was.
The Krait giveth, and the Krait taketh away - ur lootz & limbz 3:16
Back in the Office!

Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hero

Leto smiled as the boy seemed to be quite exhilarated by the fact that Leto had gone to Aeternia's Furnace and come back alive. "Well, when I went in, it was like a dream almost, I swear I was hallucinating. The king of the mountain had me cut the gems in his eyes, and so, in return he gave me a bunch of uncut rubies, some of which i'd like to try and sell today," he said with a smile, and then took out the ten eyeball sized rubies he had gotten. If uncut quartz could be bought for fiftey crowns a piece, Leto was sure that rubies would sell for at least five times that much, but he might have to haggle the price up a bit, and see if he couldn't get this boy to buy then from him...
Old September 6, 2010, 03:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

Krait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious Superhero

"You've befriended a mountain spirit!" the boy gasped, utterly fascinated. Truly it sounds too fantastic to be true but the Islanders had always such strong beliefs in folktales and the superstitious, that the boy saw no reason for Leto to be fibbing. Upon being presented with the rubies, his jaw almost fell to the floor. Wow those were BIG! Eagerly he took one of them, fumbling it curiously in one hand with a determined expression. He took another, and held it up, seemingly inspecting and comparing them both.

"Hmm... to get an estimate of its price I will need to make sure the cut, clarity, color and carat. And they seem different, so expect a price difference. Like this one has more clarity and is richer in color, it's not cut yet so that lowers the price a bit, but still this should worth more..." the boy said thoughtfully as he held up the stone in his right for Leto to see what he meant before bouncing them gently as if to get a feel of their weight. "I would price it around six..." the sentence was never finished as a large middle-aged man, impeccably dressed and well groomed, but with a cruel look in his eyes interrupted the boy in a sharp tone spoken in Eunesian, "Enough Arese, I will take it from here. Fetch my tools, and wait on me!"

"Yes... yes master..." the boy replied timidly, giving back the rubies and obediently ran off to return later with a cloth, a scale, a loupe and a magnifying glass, before proceeding to kneel in a submissive posture beside the man.

Meanwhile, the authoritative man, presumably the gem dealer himself flashed an apologetic smile at Leto. "I apologize you have to put up with my slave. He just helps me mind the store, and to inform me of suppliers. Obviously he didn't do his job well..." he spoke in heavily accented Common, eyes glaring at the poor boy who gulped as he looked away, aware of the punishment that awaits.

"Now let's see kyrio," he motioned for Leto to place the rubies in a small compartment, taking one, and putting it on the scale, lifting it into the air and began inspecting it with both magnifying glass and the loupe. He proceeded to repeat with the rest. "This is good quality, this not so, this one... not bad, this good but lacks color.." he commented, before ending with the conclusion, "I can give 200 for this one, 100 for this, mmmm 150 for this.... altogether your ten pieces for 1500 gold," the man looked at Leto smiling.
Back in the Office!

Old September 7, 2010, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

Leto looked at the man blankly as he stated his price. "Sir, if you'll excuse my bluntness, 1500 crowns for ten rubies is quite the low price. First of all, these are all uncut rubies, and i'm aware the price goes up when they have been cut, but I was able to buy three quartz for one hundred and fiftey, which happens to be the average price of what you're suggesting. In my low experience, I happen to know that rubies are exceedingly rare, and the fact they came from Aeternia's Furnace, no less, should at least increase the price..." he said, his eyes looking towards the man. "No less than three thousand crowns for them," he stated very bluntly. "Else I take my business elsewhere, i'm sure there are other gem dealers that would take these for that price... considering the size of them." he finished...
Old September 14, 2010, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

The man stared at Leto, with eyes that appeared to be almost deliberately bulging out of their sockets. It was obvious he wasn't used to being defied so openly, and he did not like it at all. The corners of his mouth curled into a wicked snarl, but he took a deep breath, and instead forced a smile that resembled a crocodile showing off its sharp teeth.

"Kyrio, I know not what is your business adventuring around the Furnace, but I am the professional jewelsman here, not you! I've been in this field for more than ten eras, and I know the prices of gems when I see one!" the speech was politely done, yet it carried a condescending, impatient tone to it like a pompous lout bragging about his jewelcrafting skills. "Or has my slave yet again attempt to pathetically apprise those gems and poisoned your mind with the wrong pricing? Hmmm?" he glared at the terrified boy, who looked at Leto with pleading eyes.

"Do not heed his words. He has no training. I will have him disciplined later. But since you're here to haggle, fine. 2500 crowns!" the man finished.
Back in the Office!

Old September 19, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

"2500 crowns sounds like a reasonable price to me," said Leto, not wanting to argue the price further after the man acted like a little petulant child in his tirade of oh, how long he's worked as a jewelcrafter. Leto watched him carefully, and awaited the crowns in bank notes he assumed, before just handing over the rubies to him. "Money first, then the rubies," he said, his eyes aglow to watch for any traces of the man misleading him to just steal the raw rubies instead of actually paying him for the cost that they happened to be.
Old September 22, 2010, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

The man gave Leto a cheesy Cheshire-cat smile, "It's a deal!" he drawled and proceeded to busy himself behind the counter.

Meanwhile, the little slave boy, if Leto even bothered to take note of him, was frowning deeply in Leto's direction. Shaking his head a little, as if to tell Leto he was being ripped off. Timid eyes, kept an eye on both master and customer. It was obvious he would have spoken out if he wasn't so afraid of his master. But of course, the slave boy was just that; a pathetic slave. While the man was a Jewelcrafter with ten eras of experience under his belt! It was up to Leto to decide whom to trust his dealings with in this little market game.

"Here we go," the man turned around, and in his hands were the bank notes totalling up to two thousand and five hundred crowns. He extend a grubby hand for the rubies while motioning to give the money as soon as the rubies were exchanged.
Back in the Office!

Old September 25, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

I know these rubies are worth more than a measly two thousand and five hundred crowns, thought Leto as he looked down at them for a moment. When the man counted out the change for Leto, Leto looked over towards the slave boy, and felt a bit of pity. "I'm sorry sir, i've changed my mind. You seem to be the type that is arrogant, and will do whatever just to please yourself, without regard to others. The way you treat that boy over there is proof of that. I'll be off to find somebody else that has more sense than you, and would rather pay what the gems are worth, than what they feel like paying for them," Leto said stubbornly, and put the gems back in his satchel, beginning to walk out of the store.

He would find someone else, someone that was much more reliable to sell the raw rubies to, considering what he had gone through to get them, what that man was offering was nothing short of a rip off, and by seeing the boy's face, he could easily tell the man would not have given him a deal to satisfy the boy. Perhaps he should have traded the rubies for the boy's freedom, but instead, Leto knew he needed to eat, and would find somebody who would buy the rubies for what they are actually worth, and not what they want to pay...
Old October 2, 2010, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

As soon as Leto broke the deal, the man roared in Eunesian, words that were not at all fitting for decent ears. "You stupid boy!!" he continued in Common, although it was getting difficult to understand him with his accent thickened with choleric rage. By now even his face was as red as Leto's rubies. "Get out of my shop or I whip you!" he yelled and quite literally threw the nearest box of common gemstones (mostly citrine, rose quartz, and zircon) across the counter, that even one or two fell to the dirt! As emphasis, he took a cruel looking short lash from behind the counter, although he was all bark and no bite, for now unless Leto quickly took his stuff and scramed.

The commotion had drawn some attention from the passerbys and nearby merchants, who looked on curiously but did not dare or desire, to get involved. Except one that is....

"Psst! Hey you! Kyrio!" a voice called out from behind one of tents a little further down. It belonged to a middle aged woman, with wide brown eyes, and dark curls from where her hair crept out of her bandana. She was an Air'riela Gypsy, with large golden earrings and a curious scar across her crooked nose. She had poked her head out of the entrance flap, and was making wild hand motions to gesture Leto to come nearer.

"I overheard your conversation! I think I can make you a deal for your rubies! If you're interested go to the side and come in through the back entrance!" she cackled in a harsh whisper, seemingly in a strange way, almost sinister.
Back in the Office!

Last edited by Krait; October 2, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

As the man threatened to whip the boy, Leto quickly left the area with his rubies intact. Then he heard someone calling to him. Looking over, he saw the woman who apparently overheard his conversation. She didn't look like the very honest type, and that's what Leto was looking for. Especially the way she cackled in that harsh whisper. It seemed so very close to sinister to him. He stopped for a moment, and then shook his head in thought. I can't make any deals with her, as she'd probably rip me off worse than the old man or give me fake money. I need to find somebody honest, who actually works well with rubies. Perhaps I can go to Herod's place and see if he wouldn't buy them off of me, as he was pretty honest with teaching me, even though he called me a consort all of the time. Or I could continue looking for someone else.

Turning his head towards the woman, he waved his hand cautiously, and said, "No thanks... I must be on my way now..." And with that, he made his way off to see if he couldn't find a more honest looking dealer, one that would buy his rubies for at least what they were worth, four to five thousand crowns for the set of ten. He needed money to live off of, and so far he was hitting bad luck at every corner. Sighing, he continued to see what other merchants were in the agora...
Old October 5, 2010, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

The Air'riela woman scowled as she fumed in what could be in an offended manner, "Hhhmph! Fine then, I only wanted to do business with you! Fancy you to be discriminative just because of my appearance, my kind, and my gender! Be off with you lad!" she hissed, taking it that Leto was the typical Secyclion male, a racist, and sexist chauvanistic pig. She spoke still with that harsh low voice, though one could swore she was no longer trying to whisper. Maybe she just had such a voice?

Assuming Leto continued to ignore the woman and walked further down, he would find more merchants of all kind, gem and jewelry dealers included. The next nearest would be two small stalls - one tended by a dorin, the other and directly opposite, tended by a katta, both clad in fine Arakmatian fashion.
Back in the Office!

Old October 11, 2010, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hero

As he continued to walk through the agora, and he came upon the dorin and katta stalls, he grizzled in disgust. He didn't like furred creatures at all, and just knew that they smelled like poo when it rained. Wrinkling his nose, he thought about just moving onward, and ignoring them, but decided to get over himself and perhaps speak with the Dorin about his rubies. "Why hello there, I have about ten uncut rubies I'd be willing to sell you, three thousand crowns as a minimum... what do you say? Would you be interested in looking at them?" he asked the dorin, his sappire eyes looking towards him wondering whether or not he would truly be interested in the rubies he had for sale...
Old October 13, 2010, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

The dorin - a large humanoid looking husky, with shaggy fur spilling out of his apparel stylized in Arakmatian fashion - gave Leto a disinterested look at first as he nodded his head and motioned for Leto to show him the rubies, but the moment he saw the ten red eyeball-sized ruby, his yellow eyes immediately lit up and he gave the youth a wide smile resembling the one Red Riding Hood saw in granny's bed.

"Ah 3000 crowns!?" he barked, and immediately set out the usual jewelcrafting kit of gem inspection, the likes Leto saw earlier, although the dorin's method of 'inspecting' also involved repeatedly sniffing them.

"3500!" came a loud hissed from behind. It was the katta, a sleek looking pantheri, his fur as ebon as black opal. He obviously had taken noticed of Leto especially after he had chosen to go to the dorin's stall instead of his. Without a word of warning, he snatched away one of the rubies, holding it high in the air for inspection.

"Get back to your stall you kitty!" growled the dorin, barring his fangs.

"Prrrrfth! Why arrre yous selling to that mutt when I can offerrrr a betterrr prrrice?," the katta purred, grinning at Leto.

The dorin snarled, "I'm offering the boy FOUR thousand! Now back off!" he snatched the ruby, placing it back in the weighing basket.

"Fourrrr thousands five!" the katta countered.

"I said back off before I kick your tail you katta filth!" the dorin roared, cracking his knuckles and grabbing the katta by the throat.

"No you back off! This not Arrrrakmat filthy dorin. This herrre is an open marrrket!" the katta roared back, with equal grabbing action at the dorin's throat.

Both of them then look at Leto and spat, "FIVE THOUSAND! FINAL OFFERRR!" and then they were back at each other's throat, quite literally.

Dorins and Kattas indeed.

With poor Leto caught in the middle. Looks like he was in the crossroad of his life, a decision that may change his life forever for herein lies one of the most important questions in the multiverse!! -- Do you prefer dogs or cats?
Back in the Office!

Old October 13, 2010, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

Considering he had first gone to the Dorin, seeing as how the Katta seemed a bit annoying just butting in, he'd rather have done business with the first person that he had gone to. Turning his head towards the Dorin, he said, "Five thousand it is, for all ten rubies, and perhaps if I get anything else, I'll come back to you in the future. I'd rather not deal with anyone that rudely interrupts a transaction with their own personal interjections."

As he said this, he eyes the katta, ready to beat the tail out of him if he tried anything further, quite annoyed that he'd interrupt the transaction going on between him and the dorin, even though it managed to get the dorin to ramp up the price of the ten rubies by five thousand. This would keep him going for quite a bit, and allow him to eat some semblance of food for the time being. And perhaps he'd have to do business with the generous dorin once more. "Might I have your name as well?" Leto asked the Dorin. "My name is Leto, and It would be a pleasure to do business with you in the future..." he finished, and awaited the transaction to finish as well, hoping that everything went smoothly, but as his luck would have it, it very well might not go as smoothly as he planned it with the evil katta glaring at the two of them...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: