Old June 24, 2010, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Grot is a benevolent Adventurer

Grot and the Golden City (PM to join) Wynd

Early Summer Era XVII

Word of opportunity spread fast in a place like Seyclion, and eventually even a giant as unsociable as Grot would learn of something as great as an island rising from the sea. Tales of vast riches and of golden cities inflammed the imaginations and greed of the lesser races but Grot payed them no heed. What did he care about the money used by his lessers? No, what interested Grot in regards to this island was that it had risen up from the sea. Surely this spoke of a great power existing on the island and more importantly a city of gold had to have some kind of great protector for him to fight. No, the riches mattered not a wit to the giant, all he was interested in was the prospect or a good fight against something worth killing.

Working his way through the streets of Seyclion, utterly unconcerned about the pests that might be scurrying through the streets beneath him, the alabaster behemoth made his way to the harbour to book passage to this strange new land.

"This oughta be good Stumpy, an island what raises itself from the seas full of golden cities. Must be something worth killin in such a place" he said with a happy smile as he headed towards Sleepy Sam's a notorious pirate hangout and as far as he knew, the best place to find someone greedy enough to risk life and limb over a useless treasure.

"With any luck rocks for brains you'll get killed on this fool endevour and I can rest in peace in a nice tropical jungle" Stumpy spat back, as crotchety as ever.

"Pah, your no fun at all, maybe I should sell what's left of ya to a woodworker so he can make a privy for some filthy thinlings outta you?" the giant shot back with a grin, his mood undampered by Stumpy's insults. Having finally reached the pirate front, Grot did and Grot did best when he needed the attention of worthless vermin inside a buildings....he knocked on the wall with the force of a sledgehammer. "OY! I'm lookin fer someone ta take me to that island wot rose outta the see. Who do I talk to?" he'd bellow at the first manling to answer.

OOCAnyone can join really, just trying to keep the numbers down so first few to message me can join in :D otherwise...book your own, this lewts mine :O
Condensed for your entertainment New player guide
Thanks go to Haz for the companionship

Trinity is SUPER awesome.
Grot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Wynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious Superhero

These days just about everyone in Secyclion with a few planks of wood bound together and a paddle were making for Markalinaka. Of course, that hadn't meant the end of pirating in the Eunesian and Northern Seas -- there were still captains who played it safe making money the tried-and-true old way of raiding merchant ships and killing or capturing everyone on board. But as the pirates who made Neos Megalis their port-of-call, under the auspices of the truce negotiated between the House of Atreus, so-called brigand royalty for their ability to coerce various independently-minded captains and the mutinous rabble they called crews into some kind of half-functioning organization capable of mounting campaigns and negotiations for the better profit of them all, filtered back into the city from their high sea expeditions loaded with new money from unloaded cargos, they naturally caught word of Markalinaka and Sybaris, the city of gold. Only a few captains could stick to their guns (and those who even wanted to avoid the new island were few), and when the crews of the rest caught wind of these legends there was no keeping them away.

Not that pirates were the only ones headed over en masse, but Grot picked Sleepy Sam's to find passage.

Of all the captains looking for new recruits to replace the ones lost in their various raids, or thrown overboard for insubordination, it was a dark man with a full beard in a turban who, garrulously, came to the giant and shouted, "I'm headed there now, and I could use a couple hands. How about it, giant? May I introduce to you Bey Oruc. I'm headed for Sybaris, personally. Yourself? No charge for passage, and maybe we can help each other out on the island."

If Grot agreed, Bey Oruc would take the giant down to a felucca at the harbour. The bey's crew consisted of: himself and Grot. The oriental boat took them through the calm waters of the Acores Keys without any predicaments, and they landed on the shores of Markalinaka with the two moons red and low over the horizons, dawn creeping up at the other end of the sky. Strangely, though, rather than haul up the felucca on the shores closest to the island of Eosnesi, which had seen the most activity, he had actually skirted around the massive island, adding some half-a-brightening to their trip. It was here that the bey insisted they tie the boat up to a thick tree up the river mouth where they had entered. A humid steam choked them. The river was more like a rotten vegetable stew. The buzzing of jungle life seemed louder than the city they had just left.

Far to the south were the three mountains said to hide Sybaris from unwelcome eyes. Deep in the jungle, all would have been dark but for a blue luminescence through the trees, breaking over the canopy into the sky. It was a glowing tower.

"What do you say we ask these folks for directions?" laughed Bey Oruc to the giant. "Get that talking club of yours ready, though."
Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

It didn't take long for one of the thinling captains to finally emerge from the building, but it took long enough as far as Grot was concerned. The black bearded, turban wearing captain that emerged was as good as anyone else in the giants mind and he merely needed a way there and didn't much care how. "If Sybaris means dat island then that's all I need to know. I want ta fight whatever was powerful enough to raise an island, anything extra is yer business." the giant said in a menacing all business tone as he looked down at Bey Oruc. "Names Grot, and if you'll take me to the island I'll give you a hand getting there" he said with a nod before following his new found captain to the ship.

To say the giant was unimpressed was an understatement, in all honesty the boat looked more like an over sized raft than a ship to Grot but he wasn't exactly being picky, he just needed to get there. The voyage itself, while not exceedingly long was indeed quite boring as they sailed through the various island channels to their destination. Grot for his part did as he was told and attempted to not make any sudden movements to either side of the ship for fear that he would capsize the thing. While he was fine with swimming, he still felt he'd had enough of it to last a lifetime lately and wasn't keen on the prospect of spending hours treading water...not with an anchor on his belt and a club the size of Stumpy on his back anyway. They reached the island just before dawn, though it seems Bey had other plans for their landing as he avoided the nearest beach. Grot simply assumed he knew of a better place to land and simply played along as they took a long detour around the island before pulling into a jungle river before mooring. Frankly at this point the giant had been getting tired of sitting in what to him was such a small space and was quite happy to step out of the boat.

Limbering up, the giant took stock of their surroundings, the horrible stench of rotting vegetation choked the stream and the buzzing of the jungle insects was louder than that vermin infested city he had just left. Off in the distance were the three great peaks he'd been told on the way here hid the city the Bey was after. If Grot was going to find his target, it would likely be there. Stretching his aching muscles, the alabaster behemoth merely grunted in reply to the Bey's suggestion that he ready Stumpy. Honestly the giant had been waiting the entire trip for this, he'd known as they sailed along the coast that getting back would not be much of a problem and as the captain was on his own, there was no other pesky crewman he'd need to deal with. "Prepare to get to work Stumpy, we gonna have some fun today" the giant growled happily as he got his grip on the club just how he liked it. Then, without any warning the giant took a massive golf like swing at Bey Oruc intending to smash the hapless captain out to sea where the sharks could have a go at him. "Thanks for the lift" he spat before heading towards the oncoming natives.

Old July 15, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

Wynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious SuperheroWynd is a glorious Superhero

Bey Oruc, whoever that was, didn't need any warning.

"This is not how this is supposed to go!" shouted Stumpy to the bey, "You fething scum-sucking sea-cretin, you have any idea the kind of grief this shapeless lump is gonna give me if you don't bend over and take a crack over the skull like you're supposed to!?"

Bey Oruc was holding Stumpy back with one hand, though he barely had a grip over the tree, grinning. Grot was powerless to pull Stumpy out of the man's grasp.

"There are enough perilous things on this island," laughed the bey, "Don't worry, giant, I won't lay a hand on you, not now, but you will regret turning down my help. Just know that you've received your wish already."

Having said that, the man released Stumpy and left, disappearing into the thick jungle. Only moments later, before Grot had any opportunity to pursue the man who'd sailed him here from Secyclion, shouts came from the bushes in a strange language, when finally he thought he heard one voice repeat, "Lucks! Lucks!" and then another voice call out to him, "Halt! Put down the tree! You are surrounded."

Moments later, three robed figures, two men and a woman, none of whom looked anything like the bronzed Secyclids or various Eunesian ethnicities, appeared from the bushes, encircling the giant. Each carried wooden staves -- mages, apparently. It was the woman who spoke Common, the language of Lux, to the giant, though there was some several thousand eras' worth of altered pronunciation and the accent of a second-language speaker to it.

"Put down your weapon. Surrender and you will not be harmed. Giant, why have you come to the far side of Markalinaka? What brings you to trespass in the light of our towers?"
Old July 17, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

Well that was surprising; apparently there was more to the lone pirate than meets the eye. Who would have guessed that one as small as he would be capable of stopping Stumpy in his tracks with all the power of Grot's bulging muscles behind him? Stumpy certainly hadn't expected it as he's surprised cry announced, Grot most assuredly hadn't expected it and yet there he was smiling happily at the spectacle. Not only was the pirate captain not dead, but it seemed he had enough strength in him to stop Grot's blow effortlessly. This was incredible, maybe he'd found yet another worthwhile opponent to kill besides whoever had raised this island from the deep. This was starting to shape up into an excellent idea... of course killing Bey Oruc would go better if Grot could wrest his damn club back from the mighty pirate.

"I need no help runt!!" Grot bellowed after the pirate as he released Stumpy and ran off into the jungle. "Run as fast as you can Bey Oruc, I will catch and kill you yet! I'll never let such worthy prey escape" the giant laughed menacingly as the pirate captain disappeared into the thick foliage.

"Idiot. He just stopped a full swing of yours with all the effort it takes to swat a fly. What the bloody feth makes you think you'll do better next time?" Stumpy said mockingly, seemingly glad the man had run off.

"Oy, that wasn't a full swing...he just caught me off guard is all" the giant snorted back in reply as he heard shouts in a strange language coming closer towards him and barring his way after the fleeing captain. The giant laughed heartily at the sudden call for him to drop Stumpy simply because he was surrounded. What did these damn islanders think he was, some sort of pansy lesser being? He was still laughing even as the two men and a woman walked out of the brush and addressed him. Grot didn't much care that they looked like mages, magic worried him of course, as long as he didn't wield any of his own it would be troublesome... perhaps he'd have to look into learning some when he returned to Seyclion. Still, he wasn't about to relinquish his club and surrender, especially not to any pathetic lesser vermin.

"Feth you and yer towers manlings. I have no intention of puttin Stumpy down and I have even less intention to surrender to a bunch of vermin like you. I'm here ta kill whatever had the power to raise this island from the sea, and failing that I'm gonna find out what Bey Oruc is and splatter him across the island. Get out of my way, or be forced out of my way" the angry alabaster titan growled, utterly enraged by the gall these filthy vermin had to try and command HIM as if he was a lesser

Old July 28, 2010, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

The three mages looked at each other -- one didn't have to speak Common to undersand that Grot was far from surrendering. Rather, however, than obliterate the oversized humanoid instantly, they held a quick discussion in whatever strange language they spoke, and the woman re-addressed him in the Common tongue of Aelyria -- originally the language of Luctadomen, used to trade all over the coasts of the Medonian continent before the ancients had even begun to forge their empire in Hriemalis.

"Giant, we ourselves have been curious as to what power could have raised this island from its... former location," she told him, "We can tell that you are of a particular mood that does not appear terribly condusive to surrender, and we believe it would be a terrible waste of possibility to unnecessarily undo your presence here. Having conferred with my fellow mages, we have decided not to obliterate you, on the condition that you assist us in this endeavour."

In attempt to prove that they could obliteratre Grot, the giant was suddenly surrounded by a circle of fire, the walls of which were some twenty feet high. From Bey Oruc to these wretched mages and their powerful spells, it was quickly becoming apparent that for all of Grot's talk, and his indisputable advantage in size, From the other side of the flames, the woman continued.

"You see, our people, the mages of these towers, have been banished, forever, by the sea-god, from returning to Sybaris the Golden City, though we were its founders. We nevertheless believe that the force that raised our island from the bottom of the sea resides in that city, Sybaris. If it is your desire to fight it, we could arrange to direct you there, though we may not return ourselves, so that you may fight this power -- on the condition that you promise to return here and tell us what you encounter."
Old August 3, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

When the three mages did not move out of his way immediately the alabaster skinned behemoth was sorely tempted to smash them all flat while they had their own private discussion. Grot was quickly falling behind Bey Oruc and very much wanted to catch up to the man and find out just how powerful he was. Still, it wouldn't do to just outright try and kill a trio of mages, Rak only knew how much damage they could deal before he finished them off...and then there was still the issue of the people still hiding in the surrounding jungle. No..for now Grot would hold Stumpy back but remain ready to smash and run if need be. Still, he wished they'd get on with it, he really needed to be catching up to that blasted captain.

The giant merely scowled as he listened to the female manling address him after the mages had made their decision. They had allowed 'HIM' to live? Damn manling mages and their fething arrogant ideas of ho.......huh....flame wall.....interesting. Well maybe they could have killed him, but he wasn't about to admit that to no lesser scum mage on some backwater fething island that had only just risen out of the sea! "What a coincidence, I just decided not ta turn da lot of you into paste and continue on my way regardless." the giant responded not seeming the least bit intimidated by the display of power. "I dun care at all about you being banished and having ta live like beggars in the jungle. The affairs of you lesser manlings are of no concern to me, but I suppose I could be bothered to tell you what I find in this Sybaris ya mention since I'll have ta come back for the boat anyway" he continued well aware he was probably grinding salt in their wounds. "Lead the way if yer ready" he concluded as he leaned Stumpy against his shoulder, ready to move out.

Old August 11, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

The fire wall vanished when Grot gave his consent. The mages had shown the giant what they could do, and the woman, at least, who likely was the only one who could understand the giant, humoured his arrogance for the sake of mutual co-operation.

"I will lead you through the jungle," said the woman, "So that you arrive safely, but I cannot accompany you on the pass that leads through the mountains and to the city. And there you may face whatever power brought this island up from the bottom of the sea."

So, Grot had gone from one powerful helping hand to another -- but here was a giant who disdained help even on what was possibly the most perilous, or at least the most unknown area within the borders of the Aelyrian Kingdom. And half the peril came with the help. Assuming Grot let his new companion lead the way through the night and the jungle without attempting to bash her skull in just yet, the woman would take him to a path, leaving the other two mages behind after a brief chattering in some other language. Their tower was not the only one in these woods. Along the path they followed for about half an hour, other towers, likewise blue and glowing through the darkness, could be seen, some far, some close. The path even bent around the base of one of these towers, made from a smooth, blue stone.

"You've come to a strange part of the island -- most the others who have been arriving come on the closer shore. Whoever took you already knew this island. We have been watching the people from Secyclion arrive. There are mages and our servants in all of these towers. Once, when we lived in the golden city, all of this island were our servants," explained the woman, if not to Grot than to Stumpy, at least, "We are lucky to have even this, for it was no mortal power than banished us from our city, but the sea-god. Our city was but one in many in the Eunesian Seas, say our histories, but we worshipped, as we do today, the wrong god. The seas were not meant for Materna."

They passed the towers, they passed through the jungle to the end of the night without incident until the earliest rose fingers of dawn Above stretched over the east. Strung between two trees was a massive spiderweb, in which a scraggedly-limbed green orc had been caught. When the orc saw the mage and the giant he screamed for help in orckish, to which the mage answered him in the snarling language. The predator-spinster, however, a spider about the size of a man, lurked in the upper reaches of the web, watching the new-comers and hungrily considering ending its captive's torment.

"Here be spiders," warned the mage, and the slowly dawning light revealed spiderwebs all around them, each with its maker hanging there, waiting, "I leave it up to you, but the orc says he can lead us through the woods if we let him go. Personally, I wouldn't touch the webs."

Last edited by Wynd; August 11, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old August 24, 2010, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

Snorting with disdain as the fire wall fell more than a little annoyed at the concept these manlings held that they could hold him back or somehow make demands of him. Still, what they asked and what they offered in exchange had been more than fair enough. They would guide him to where he wanted to go in the first place, and all he needed to do is tell them what he fought and killed on the way back, nothing to annoying...other than having to converse with the vermin. Could have been worse though, at least he didn't have to expend the effort killing the trio of mages and Rak knew how many of their followers before moving on... though he was sorely tempted to do so anyway. Still it would be best to play nice for now.

Following along through the jungle Grot listened disinterestedly to the mages story. Frankly the giant didn't care a bit about her, her people or why they'd been kicked out of their damned city. Yawning out of boredom, the giant decided talking to Stumpy would be a better way to spend his time. "OY, Sawdust fer brains, what you think that Bey Oruc is? Stopping my swing was pretty impressive for a runt like that... he ain't no manling that's for sure." he asked loudly, not caring if he interrupted or offended the mage.

"Hopefully something that kicks your oversized blubbery ass fatty" Stumpy hissed back at him annoyed that he was making it difficult to hear the mages tale. "Now shut it until the lady is finished, I want to hear this" he finished with a snort.

"What you wanna hear that crap for?" the giant snapped back in annoyance. "They were weak, they backed the wrong god and got kicked out. Who cares? Only thing you gonna learn by listening is how pathetic these manlings were. Look at you, you worshipped Carmelya, fat load of good it's done you termite bait! Worshipping a god gets you nothing, if you want something take it with your own two hands, don't expect some worthless god to hand it to ya" the giant ranted angrily.

"PAH!!! You damn hypocrite, you worship Rak! All your high and mighty talks about gods being good for nothing and you sit around all day worshipping the planetar of power!" Stumpy railed back in his ancient rumbling tone.

"That's different damnit, I don't worship Rak, I respect him! He's got a good philosophy...power is everything, might makes right, power for the sake of power. It's all good stuff Stumpy, unlike that tree hugging whore you love, getting cast to the side when the younger prettier model showed up" he finished with a derisive laugh at the nature goddesses expense. "So I dedicate the occasional fight to Rak and praise his name...its admiration not worship!" the giant finished before falling silent for a moment. "Still, probably better than that old hag Materna. Can't really decide on that one, can't decide if she's really the mother of the gods or just another failed god shoved aside by the Aetherians."

"Cover it up how you want you ignorant lummox, you don't practice what you preach."
the Treant turned club snorted in disgust as the pair continued following the mage through the dark jungle.

"Fine! Think what you want beaver bait" Grot snorted back before spending the rest of the trip in silence while Stumpy asked pointless questions of the mage. Barely taking more than a glance and the ancient towers as they passed the alabaster titan kept to himself for the remainder of the night and the trip, wondering when this blasted island would give him something worth killing.

As the early dawn light started spreading across the horizon and the deep dark shadows of the jungle were slowly chased away Grot finally came face to face with something worth his paying attention to. Strung between two trees on the largest spider web the giant had ever seen was a haggard looking orc who began bellowing in its brutish and unrefined tongue the moment he caught sight of the little party. Still, what really kept Grot's attention was the massive spider in the upper corner of the web, looking down at Grot as if it thought it could make him its next meal. FINALLY...something worth killing...better yet, there were lots of them as the spreading dawn glow revealed that the giant was in fact surrounded by spider webs and their owns, all gazing hungrily at him. "PAH!, I could care less about the orc...but these spiders look like a fun warm up!" Grot roared with glee as he put unwound the chain from about his waist and shoulders and the anchor and chain that had been pulling double duty as a belt into his hand.

Swinging the several hundred point lump of metal on its chain, he slowly let it build up momentum, his legs spread firmly apart to maximize his balance before suddenly feeding the whirling mass of deadly metal enough slack for it to slam sidelong into the spider whose web the orc was currently trapped it. Assuming this first attack was successful, the happily engaged Giant would begin systematically exterminating each and every spider in range with the whirlwind of death created by his rotating anchor. Far as he was concerned, there was little chance the surrounding trees or webs could possibly stop the tornado of destruction he would unleash with his newest weapon. He'd killed Gnoggis the destroyer using it mainly as a climbing rope and choke chain other than a few well timed and placed blows....now it was time to use it properly, dealing death and destruction in a wide arc all around, keeping any adventurous spiders back by directing the massive anchor head at them in a blurring storm of metal.

Old September 16, 2010, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

(OOC: Sorry for such a long delay. Been busy with the start of school and a dozen other things.)

"You are a useful man to have around," remarked the mage as the first mauled spider collapsed with its web on top of the screaming orc, leaking its poison onto him and crushing him in their intimate silk coccoon, "Or, well, a more-than-a-man, I guess."

She did not so much as lift a finger, or, as it went with mages, a thought, as the giant swung his anchor and chain around, destroying spiders and their webs in seconds. Though these were giant spiders, Grot was a giant man - spiders, relatively, what, the size of puppies? Puppies with gripping webs and venomed teeth and too many legs? As he progress through the jungle the anchor and chain accumlated a thick covering of spider-guts, limbs, and web. The spiders he left in his wake, not all of them dead, crawled about dismembered, weak, attempting to flee from their destroyer. A few, however, as they saw with their creeping many eyes the havoc that came down, leapt from their webs, or dropped down on thin lines from the canopy above. About a dozen of them encircled Grot and began to approach. There were more behind them, too.

Nothing, nothing for Grot, not with his radial weapon that could take out a row of them at once with one well-aimed swing.

That was when Stumpy piped up, "Lump-head, do you hear that buzzing?"

Finally, the mage was compelled to do something. Grot, who had been quickly advancing through the spider-webbed trees, had left two spiders behind him who were advancing her. They quickly met their immolation, but when their screeches died down the irritating whine of something in the air reached Grot's ears, and then hers.

"Los mosquitos diables!" shouted Stumpy as Grot continued to splatter spider guts across the jungle, in some bizarre language that could've come from Enamoria or the western coast of the Xet Alliance, but sounded a bit like Charismean.

A thick swarm, thick as smoke from a forest-fire, of mosquitos -- ordinary-sized, tiny little mosquitos, were emerging from the trees. Even some of the spiders fled. They came straight for Grot and began with the feast.

"Giant," the mage called to him, "You're going to want to run. Make for water."

The mage herself had summoned a fireball and extended it into a thin layer of flame around her.

The carnage of spiders continued, unabated.
Old November 3, 2010, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

FE FI FO FUM YOU'LL ALL BE SQUISHED BEFORE I'M DONE

For whatever bizarre reason, that happy little rhyme was all that came to Grot's mind as he happily began swinging the anchor around in broad circles smashing spiders to pulpy little bits as he went. Sadly his first swing had unexpected consequences as the poor greenskin stuck in the web was crushed by the pulped remains of the first spider the alabaster skinned giant had aimed for, his shrieking form being coated in the poisonous ichors of the dead spider.

So much for having a guide.

Still, this didn't bother the giant all that much as he continued obliterating row after row of giant spiders as they dropped from trees or scuttled along the ground to attack him. "Los what the feth?" the giant roared in response to Stumpy's panicked cry as the buzzing grew much louder even as he began a deadly low sweeping circular attack with the anchor and chain that should leave any spiders around him a pulpy mess, or at least incapable of attacking him. Snorting with disgust at the mages suggestion even as the thick swarm of bloodthirsty little bugs began feasting on him, flying into his nose and ears and nearly coating his skin with a thick black carpet of writhing mosquito's Grot began scanning the immediate area for water to wash the pests away with.

He wasn't too worried about the little buggers drinking his blood or spreading some disease to him, his skin was as thick as leather after all and tiny mosquito's such as these would be hard pressed to penetrate his skin deep enough to actually drink blood, no, Grot was more or less just annoyed at the carpet of insects trying to coat him head to toe. Slapping great handfuls of the insects into a crushed mess he made his way for the nearest water source he could dive into, happily stomping on any spiders between him and it. "Do something useful and see if the orc lives mage" he growled even as the mosquito's made their way inside his mouth to face a hideous fate of being pulped by his teeth and tongue and he made to clear them out. MMMMM....bug salad.

Old December 6, 2010, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

Fire spread out before the mage, incinerating mosquitos by the thousands and charring the spider that had fallen on the orc. She peered at the orc's exposed head and shouted to Grot, who was standing shoulder-deep with his feet at the bottom of some tributarial stream, "The orc's alive but the spider's poison seems to have gotten into him through the mouth. I think he's seeing very strange things, right now, and then he'll die."

Had her Common been a bit more modern and colloquial, she might have said that the man was watching the Battle of Narim in 3D with elephant-men and the gods of geometry as its eternal combatants.

"But I think we should be able to get through the jungle without too many problems," she said, pointing to the forest spread thick with the spiders' webs. At this point, most of the spiders had backed off, and it appeared as though any future confrontations with the critters would go more or less like this: the wrath of fire and iron.

The tributarial river that Grot had found ran behind a particularly thick set of undergrowth and trees -- many of which Grot had overturned. The stream flowed rapidly and it was deep enough for him to stick his head under, drowning those mosquitos that hadn't made it down his throat for the mage to immolate the rest of them. The water above his head became a few degrees warmer as the air exploded above. The mosquitos, however, had been dealt with.

The mage, now standing on the riverbank, said "Those mosquitos are not fatal for someone your size, but within an hour you will be totally delirious. You will not be able to tell your club from a lion. If we keep going, I might be able to find something for it, but if you go crazy, I can't promise that I will stay."

The spider-webbed forest stretched on for another half hour. It gave way to a swamp-jungle. The bog was waist-deep for Grot. The mage walked on a pathway of solidified fire. Burning coals or rubies. Something, maybe. They'd killed countless spiders on the way. Now there were crocodiles. They were little more nasty than gnats. Stumpy practically crushed open their skulls himself. But the mage had not been lying. The mosquitos must have gotten deep into his over-sized ears, into his brain through the nostrils and down into his more sensitive entrails from his throat. His skin was barely irritated by even the swarms of mosquitos that had landed there, but the effects of their poison was showing. Or perhaps, in the jungle-swamp, the sky was always orange. Maybe the six moons always glowed red and blossomed over and over again like fast-forwarded orchids, opening and in full-bloom and withering within minutes. Maybe Stumpy really was a lion, roaring hell fury as he swung around breaking crocodiles and orcs and tree-piranhas.

In the midst of the swamp rose she whom the locals, whose boats Grot had tripped over and crushed, whose little huts crowded around the edges of the swamp, called the Ghost Witch, the Harlot of the Crocodile-God, the Grisi Harpy, the Eater of the Abandoned. She stood upon her lily-pad throne, splendid and revolting, twined about with the syphilitic vines of swamp-plants, clothed in oversized orchids drooling poison over her skin.

"Traveller, what is your wish?" she asked him, as the trees swirled about like cream poured into coffee, as the water boiled and the sulphurous stars crashed around them. She was a giantess, she was human-sized, she was god-like, she had the head of a frog, the wings of a fly, she was of indefinite form to Grot's eyes, as was all the world around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: