Old July 10, 2017, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice Ward is an upstanding Citizen
[Jaedaexia] First Stop: Jaedaexia

Ponutis, Winter Era XXIV

It was the start of a new era and Alice found herself entering the city of Jaedaexia. She started out from her home in the crown city of Telath a few cycles ago to traveled around the empire. Jaedaexia was her first stop. She had only sufficient to purchase a ship ticket to this city of arts and lawfulness. She doubt her form of art was welcome in this place.

Her plan was to begin her journey at Nexus Prime, spending a few cycles there before making an inland southern route to the dark city of Vortex where it was said her form of art was much more appreciated. Then she was to head to the thieving city of Medonia before heading to either Port Alyx or if she could buy a sea passage from Medonia, straight back to the jewelled city of Aelyria Prime.

Since Alice was here, she thought it was best to make the most of it. She needed money to buy a sea passage, but that was a simple task. In every city, there was always people who needed messengers, part timers or other simple task that paid sufficient. It might take her two months to get the traveling fee, but it was alright to her.

What she truly want to do here was to hone her skill or to find some useful contacts. They were not easy, but nothing easy was worth the effort.

The first required her to open her ears, listen to sob stories of those with recent family death. These people knew that Abjuration was illegal, but they did not care and would usually pay quite handsomely. Most of the time, she just hid it under the guise of Necromancy.

The latter also required her to open her ears, but it would be much more difficult. Jaedaexia was known as a city with little crime, so finding a crime lord or a thieving gang here would be difficult. Her own contact in Aelyria Prime gave her many jobs, but he decided to betray her and turn her in for the reward gold. Unfortunately for her contact, she was always wary of people, even her own family. She turned her contact to his rival and took several pieces of gold. She did not know what happened, all she knew was the contact was found feeding the fishes the very next brightening. That was the point Alice had a great yearning to travel. Her rewarder might decide to collect the crowns back from her.

Alice walked down the beautiful streets of Jaedaexia, humming a cheerful tune. If only the people knew the words to this tune.
Alice Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

Jaedaxia was a beautiful city with a vibrant society, one centered around art and expression more than many other places in Aelyria. Gardens and well-paved streets were aplenty here, as were those unafraid to express themselves in a wide array of color and forward fashion.

What Alice might be aware of was that the famous city was also home to the equally famous Candlekings, a well-established criminal organization not unfamiliar with theatrics and dramatic displays of their own. But Alice didn't seem to get any glimpses of anyone who might be a part of said organization, at least not in the span of time she happened to be humming her way down the very busy and very lively street.

What she did come across, however, was a sea of colorful winter garb among an almost garish display of dyed banners along the merchant's row, and a crowd gathered about a particularly animated man hawking a slew of curios and tonics. "See the dead!" he was exclaiming, if one held this particularly fancy rock, or "win 3 out of 4 games," if you used this specific pair of dice. Lucky charms, strange potions, makeup that enhanced one's acting. And all around him people seemed far more keen on watching his exuberant gesticulation than on the price of the goods themselves.

Somewhere among the gathering stood a man in relatively darker colors, his hands in his pockets and his expression decidedly more observant than impressed. His overcoat was a blue almost as dark as his somewhat mussed black hair, his fairer tone making the slight flush to his nose and cheeks all the more evident. He was a younger man, albeit not as young as Alice - perhaps somewhere in his late twenties, or early thirties perhaps. He seemed to watch the lively merchant with an almost calculating expression, soft and distant as it was.

As Alice neared, an elven lady giggled and nearly bumped into the younger woman as she bounced and meandered to the side. She held a glimmering bottle in the shape of a teardrop high above her head. Her companion, chattering away in Jaedaxia's native Charismean language, seemed to be eager to get hold of the prize. The two women fought over it as they tumbled past Alice in a flurry of thick and numerous skirts, momentarily blocking her path ahead.

This placed Alice next to the man in the darker colors, who didn't seem to intend on making eye contact but happened to nonetheless. At catching Alice's gaze, the man's pale blue eyes blinked, and then he managed a short and courteous nod in her direction.

Meanwhile, the entrepreneur continued to gesture and bark away as to the wonders of his goods. And the crowd continued to titter and swoon in response, enraptured by the enigma before them.

Last edited by Adynirach; July 12, 2017 at 08:45 PM.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Darius Debuire is an upstanding Citizen
Darius gave a walked down the street taking in all the sights and sounds it was a good way from his home but he had hear rumors of a job in town. He did still have some money saved up from that dangerous quest the Jalat worshiper had sent him on. He nearly died in that mess! So he could afford the trip but he still needed money. obviously he wasn't a particularly picky mercenary he would take any reasonable job but next time he was going to get more info from his clients. he knew there was some thieves guild in town if nothing else. He could always use another skill because the last time someone hired him to steal something it didn't go very well....
Darius got the item but he had to kill several people on his way out all because that blasted dog woke up!
he saw some human woman rather on the young side and noticed off to the corner another human perhaps they would know something about this supposed job he came to town for he began to walk over to the pair to see what he could find out.

looking for pepole to play with who are fun
Darius Debuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice's tune was interrupted by a hawking merchant selling all manners of unusual goods. She was , at first, attracted by the merchant’s use of seeing the dead, but it ended up as just another gimmick. There was no disappointment, just a moment of anger when she knew the truth.

It was time to move on when an elf threatened to knock her. She quickly stepped aside, but only into the path of another lady who was intending to fight with the elf. Alice stared at both the ladies for a while, studying their looks, memorising them so she could send a naughty spirit to haunt them, but decided otherwise. Raising spirits were tiring and there was just no point in causing harm to these two. She had grown up indeed.

As the two women continued fighting, Alice looked around and made eye contact with a pair of blue eyes. The owner of those eyes acknowledge her presence and out of courtesy, she smiled and nodded back.

”This happen every brightening? People get conned by fake curios?” Alice asked the man.

A strong feeling of being watch came over her. She was attentive to such matter, experienced from looking for ritebounds and people that might want to burn her on a stake for being a witch. She quickly looked over to the feeling’s origin and she noticed a man. A man who was more interested in them than the merchant. She narrowed her eyes for a moment then decided might as well call the watcher over to see what he wanted. She shrugged her left shoulder and beckoned the watcher over.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

At Alice's question, the black-haired fellow's gaze shifted momentarily to the merchant, after which his pale eyes flashed with a slight glimmer of amusement. His hands seemed to shift restlessly from within the pockets of his coat before he managed to respond. One shoulder lifted nonchalantly.

"Every brightening? I couldn't say. But he seems to have gotten everyone in a tizzy." The man's cool tone was spoken with no discernible charismean accent, indicating that he was likely not a native of the city.

And he wasn't the only one who didn't seem to be. Darius happened his way into the crowd just as the merchant began pointing and seeking out volunteers, drawing random strangers forward from the crowd. The onlookers seemed to animate anew at this, eager to participate in the dramatic display. Some waved their hands in an attempt to be noticed.

Meanwhile, it was Darius who happened to be noticed by Alice. As she turned and waved at the man along the perimeter of the crowd, her blue-eyed companion leaned forward slightly to glance in that direction, brow quirking when he failed to tell just who the girl was gesturing to.

"Friend of yours?" he inquired, before pulling what appeared to be a cigarette from his pocket and placing it between his lips to light.
Old July 14, 2017, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

Darius walked over the duo and introduced himself "Seral, how does this day find you? I am a mercenary you see and I had heard word of a job in this town. Don't suppose you might know anything about it? My name is Darius by the way." Darius gave a quick look around "If not I am always down to make new (connections) with people, so long as they have something worth while about them.

Old July 14, 2017, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

In Aelyria Prime, there were many salesman that sold protection charm made of rabbit foot, cure-all medicine that cured nothing or pixie dust that was actually shaved glass. A con artist in Jaedaexia and people that bought the lies every brightening. In one of her favourite phrase. ‘What ever floats their boat’

Darius introduced himself as a mercenary who don’t mind work in a new town. That was what she was doing too. There was no kinship though. Darius was very likely a sword for hire. If he busk his business, there was going to be takers. If Alice were to busk her business, there was a chance she would be jailed, or worse.

”Nope, don’t know him. Just saw him watching us. No secrets here, so I invited him over, unless you have some secret to tell me?” Alice asked cheekily to Aydnirach.

”So Darius. What kind of fun tale have you been to?” She decided it didn’t cost her a single sword to be nice. Maybe Darius would turn out to be a underworld godfather of some sort.
Old July 14, 2017, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Model Citizen

The cigarette caught light and the paper flared, red embers giving way to a trail of unnaturally light blue smoke. The man grunted softly at the girl's explanation, eyes flickering toward her when she implied he might have a secret. A corner of his lips curled upward at that, eyes flashing mischeviously even if he didn't respond. What manner and what amount of secrets he held were left to the imagination when the stranger in question made himself known.

The blue-eyed figure's brow quirked again, this time at the - vysstichi? He seemed a little taken aback by seeing one around these parts. He waved out the match, let gravity claim it, and then stuffed his hands back into his pockets. He then puffed on his cigarette for a moment with a ponderous expression, as if he wasn't quite sure if he should involve himself in the conversation beside him or not.

At last, after a casual exhale, he offered a slight snort of amusement. "Do I know anything about an obscure job that could be tacked up on any board in this massive port? No. Are you implying that I should know you?" It was the only explanation he could think of, for the man to assume he might know just what he was looking for. Even more so when the mercenary went on about connections.

"Oh?" A glimmer of amusement could be found in the human's eyes again. "I must ask, Monsieur, what makes someone worthwhile to you? I have already failed at providing a helpful answer to your question, and I imagine those folks are the ones with the money to spare."

Both brows drifted toward his hairline as he jutted his chin in the merchant's direction, and at the crowd that had gathered about to offer him some of their hard-earned coin. "You seem entirely unintrigued by the show," he observed as he turned his gaze back to the two. "Not in the market for magic goose down and lucky cabbit's feet, I wager?" The corners of his eyes crinkled a moment as he took another drag on the strange cigarette. A jest, given he was already aware the girl saw the merchant's promises as a con.

Once his eyes had shifted first to the girl, and then back to Darius, the human canted his head. "Adyn," he offered, before seeming to sweep some of the humor aside in an attempt at being helpful. "What work, exactly, are you looking for? There is a lot in this city, I imagine."
Old July 14, 2017, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

Darius gave a smile at the smoking human "No i have no interest in such things I have been around the block a time or two and I know a scam when I see it." Darius stated with a curt wave of his hand. "As for Secrets I have many, as for people who interest me money helps, as well as welcome sword to help me get the job done." when he was asked what kind of job he was looking for Darius gave a big smile "Any thing that pays that i think I can handle, Don't suppose I could bum a smoke and light?"

Old July 14, 2017, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Adventurer

The merchant, why would anyone be so gullible? If someone wanted to seek luck or find ghost, there were real magic they could learn or hire someone to cast on them. Lucky rabbit foot, the rabbit was not that lucky with his foot.

Alice grinned at Adynirach. ”Would a wild wolf, the king of the forest, be interested in a the daily life of a Human King? That is how much I am interested with those things. Name’s Alice, by the way.”

She turned to Darius. ”Have you seen the supernatural? I don’t mean magic or you know,” She paused and whispered. ”Necromancy.” Resuming her normal tone of voice, she continued. ”There is nothing special about that, just another puppet master controlling a toy. I’m always looking out for interesting things, like real spirits, ghosts and ghoulies. If I can learn something real from it, maybe I can write it and sell it. People would love it.”

Turning back to Adynirach again, she asked. ”How about you Adyn? Any haunted places ‘round here? Maybe we can all go and have a look. These same people might pay us just to see it. Maybe we can sell something that you can see ghost with. Can call it ’Vision Water’. That sound good, ya?”

Alice chuckled. She was trying to hide the fact that she really wanted to find somewhere haunted behind the chuckle. If anyone had dabbled with abjuration or had hired an abjurator, the term vision water would be very familiar to them.
Old July 14, 2017, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Model Citizen

"Mm," Adyn grunted, softly and somewhat halfheartedly, at the response Darius gave. Adyn had the freedom to pick and choose his work more selectively these days, and his time of random mercenary jobs nabbed off the streets had begun to find its end. Still, he shrugged and produced a stick of Sparkle for the man upon his request, even if he was often more inclined to keep his expensive goods well within his pockets.

At Alice's mention of his favorite beast, and at her philosophical observations on the merchant beyond, the human tilted his head in acknowledgment. Her name, too, was stowed away into memory.

As Alice turned her attention momentarily to the other man, Adyn produced a match for him. At the question that was subsequently asked of him, he offered a thoughtful "Hm?". He slowly shook his head.

"I've been gone from this city a long time, mon ami. Not much of the local rumor is well known to me anymore." Yet he chuckled at her thoughts that this jittery crowd would be easily swayed by what they'd turn up from such an adventure. "I imagine you might be onto something," he mused, tone wry. The glint in his eyes was trained upon a couple that slipped past with what appeared to be dream catchers in their hands.

"Perhaps our merchant friend is more familiar with the spooks and haunts in the area," he said then, shifting his gaze back to them both. "Where do you imagine he gets all that unholy water and ghostly tears?" He winked.

"But really," a gesture toward the general crowd - "Ask the locals, if that's what you're after. If anyone has a job or a story to tell, it's any of the lambs within this crooning little flock. Pick your poison, Capitaines, and see what comes of it."

At this, his hand gave a small sweep before disappearing back within his pocket. The other pinched gently at the cigarette as he gave another drag, eyes narrowed against a wintery breeze. All around them there was a variety of people young and old, some alone and others gathered in groups by now.

Yet amongst the crowd, and around the perimeter by now, there were also figures who seemed uninterested in the merchant, or to not even have anywhere in particular to go. They seemed to shift and meander, to observe everyone around them, and every now and then, to glance at one another.

Relative to the boisterous and colorful nature of those who'd gathered, those few individuals didn't seem to belong here.
Old July 15, 2017, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

Darius lit the cigarette and took a drag he wondered something for a moment, and shook his head. It was still hard to talk about that subject with anyone let alone strangers, yet the woman seemed to be offering and he was originally from here any way....
Darius decided it was worth it and motioned for the female human to come closer. "So I don't suppose you can talk with the dead can you?" It was a simple question. But it had a very complex reason behind the asked question. "If you can then I might have a favor to ask of you, I can pay you a little if I get what I need." Darius left it at that for the moment and took another drag of his stick.

Old July 16, 2017, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice looked at the two smoking men and chuckled. She could not see any reason why men love to smoke and drink to insensibility. It was not that she don’t drink, she drank wine, ale, rum, whiskey and can stomach quite a huge amount of it, but she could proudly say she was only drunk once and that was with her mother. She did wondered many times if she had inherited her mother’s adamantine liver.

”If those unholy water and tears were real, I doubt he will be selling them so openly here. He might bribe the local constables, but I half expect priests and their soldiers would have long appeared to confiscate all his goods.” Alice answered to Adyn’s suggestion to ask the merchant and chuckled once again.

”Who knows until we actually find one ghost.” She replied to Darius. ”Once we find one and find out that we can talk to it, maybe can learn from it. Where it hides it treasure or such stuff. We can even..”

What Alice was going to say, the two men might never find out unless they asked again in time yet to come. She had spotted some other men who were more interested in them than in the merchants and unlike Darius who was openly watching her, they were hiding the fact that they were watching.

Her lips split open to a great smile suddenly and spoke in an animated voice. ”I have an idea, but it’s a bit noisy here. May be we head over there so we can talk a little bit more?” Her eyes though, was looking to the side where those men were.

Hopefully the two men caught the hint. Even if they didn’t, moving to a quieter spot would reveal anyone that was trying to follow her.
Old July 16, 2017, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Darius's drag on the cigarette had a strange result - a warm, fuzzy feeling went through his body and his tongue began to tingle. Sparkle wasn't a typical cigarette, but a product of Ziel Aerca, one of Sliucha's brand of recreational drugs without the side-effects of tobacco.

Adyn's jests about the merchant were met with some few chuckles from the lady, reactions that assured him that he wasn't being taken at face value. This encouraged him to ease somewhat at least, after which the vysstichi beckoned the woman closer and seemed to whisper something to her. Adyn merely puffed on his cigarette, shaking his head slightly as he turned back toward the crowd, allowing the two to become acquainted as he went back to observing the scene.

Yet he, too, seemed to peer questioningly at the figures who seemed out of place, strange blue smoke wafting past his face as his eyes narrowed in their direction. At Alice's sudden exuberance he turned his attention back to her, brows lifting questioningly as he glanced between her and the figures in question.

"Are you in trouble, mon amie?" he asked, voice laced with humor. "Or perhaps you are the trouble?" Regardless, he stepped in the direction she was indicating, curious as to whether or not she recognized some of the faces beyond.

Meanwhile, there was a certain shift in the merchant's display. He, too, seemed to look toward the shifty figures in the crowd, and encouraged the bystanders to gather 'round more tightly as those figures formed some sort of perimeter along the outskirts of the gathering. He seemed just as aware of the changes in atmosphere as Alice had become.

Something was about to happen, it seemed, but what could it possibly be?
Old July 18, 2017, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

Darius had all ready noticed the people paying a little to much attention to them and followed the other two and stated in a voice just loud enough for the two to hear "If they are following us then we just need to get some where that we can deal with them with out attracting attention. Clearly he should try talking with them first but if that fails well..."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: