Old March 15, 2018, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Jen Neo is an upstanding Citizen

[Medonia] Introducing... Women eating fish!

The “Jade Fin Restaurant” was a new two-story glossy black painted building located in the heart of town. The entire building was artistically decorated with jade-green painting of sea-dragons, large fishes and other sea creatures. A beautiful young half elf in Kimono stood beside the door, welcoming all guests. This type of restaurant was normally out of the price range for our two ladies exploring food, but if it was going to be Illanaís first stab at seafood, it might be a good idea. Furthermore, the signage in front boasted a 25% discount, just for this brightening.

Further away was the famous “Yellow Belly Seafood”. It is a low plain looking stone building with a simple wooden signboard stating its name and a painting of a yellow-tail. The pair would not see any waitresses outside, but they did notice a long queue. This shop might be more comfortable, in terms of the price range, for the two, but the queue was going to take at least a candlemark. It might also be a good idea to visit this restaurant instead, as the “Yellow Belly Seafood” was an established place that many people knew served delicious seafood.

There were a few other seafood restaurant and shops around. They could even visit local taverns, as most taverns served seafood as well. In the end, it was up to them. A new expensive seafood restaurant served customized food? An average priced seafood restaurant with eras of fame backing it? A cheap tavern with questionable quality. Which would they prefer to go?
Old March 15, 2018, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle Sophie is unknown and forgotten
It was going to be Illana’s first taste of seafood and Isabelle wanted it to be a momentous event.

“The Jade Fin Restaurant looked really expensive, but should be real delicious.” Isabelle licked her lips. “And there is a discount, so that is a good thing.”

“The Yellow Belly Seafood must be very good as well, looking at the long queue.” She exclaimed. “And I heard it is rather famous.”

“I would like to see what the Jade Fin offers though and I think we can afford it if we do not order too much. What do you think? Jade Fin or Yellow Belly or somewhere else?” Isabelle asked her companion. She was good anywhere Illana would decide on.
Old March 15, 2018, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana Jidiao is an upstanding Citizen
You don't have to read it all...The only pertinent part of the post is indented at the bottom.

Illana purposefully avoided this district. In fact, she did her best to avoid ever being down wind of it, but now that she was here, she couldn't help but drink it in.

She hadn't expected her decision to try fish to lead here. They passed several well attended taverns on their way from Sophia's home, but Illana had followed the Mer's lead across town. Their conversation covered various dishes the Mer loved or suggested she try... or that's what she assumed the woman had spoke about.

In truth, she only half listened to the Mer smiling or nodding when seemed appropriate. Her thoughts had traveled across the two instances she'd been presented with fish or other bounty of the sea. Neither had been a pleasant experience.

The first involved a large, pale almost translucently scaled creature. Its middle had been cut and disemboweled, some of the entrails sitting beside its large head. Not that she minded the creature looking at her. She loved pig cheek and tongue cutting that directly from the delicious smelling face.

Her Dajmother had prepared the toddler sized creature which was what put her off. It looked edible, and it was apparently clean enough to eat raw as that was how it was served. But the subtle smell of the creature permeated the BenderTemporary dwelling place of the Air'riela. It was only mildly unpleasant. Nothing like the docs which had a disdainful distortion of that smell.

Even now, as they entered the district, she caught the occasional whiff of raw fish, but that was not why she avoided this area. It was a far more pleasurable reason. The intoxicating aroma of food caused her stomach to rumble with a vengeance.

As usual, she'd left for the day without a bite to eat. A woman on a mission rarely through of food first thing in the morning.

The tantalizing allure of spiced infused foods or the provoking whiff of char beguiling ones senses as if daring you to question the chefs reasoning or sanity.
Her nose pulled her from one restaurant to another and back. She'd heard of some while other's simply looked the part of a fine restaurant. She knew even the meekest of tavern food would settle her now vocal stomach, but she wasn't sure she trusted them with her first taste of sea food.

She'd almost forgotten herself in her own thoughts, but Isabelle had turned to her in earnest. "Do you provide any fish to either of these restaurants? If I'm going to spend money at an establishment, I'd like to invest in one that will help you out." As usual, practicality won out over her stomach.
Illana Jidiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle thought for a bit on Illana's question. She did not know where the farm sold the fish, but if she was to guess, it would be to the Jade Fin. The farm did not sell by mass, only a few dozen every month. She believe it was a good guess.

"I am not sure." Isabelle said honestly. "Likely the Jade Fin will be one of the target for our sales, since we usually sell for quality rather than quantity."
Old March 15, 2018, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana hadn't realized just how new to the fish farming business her new friend was, but her answer sufficed. "The Jade Fin it is." Her pocket book would feel the impact of the decision as soon as she saw the prices, but this could be her treat for the cycle... or the year depending on how steep those prices really were.

"If we find the place procures their fish from some other place, maybe we can convince them to buy from you." She winked as she entered the establishment only to be greeted by a well dressed elf. "Serale miss. We'd like a table for two."

In all actuality, she wasn't sure what the proper decorum was for such an establishment. She'd never entered such a fine place in her life, but between the beauty and the divine smells floating through the air, she hoped it would not be her last.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

As the pair approached the Jade Fin Restaurant, they could see the waitress' immediately assessing them. Isabelle could hear a soft derisive snort from the waitress. As they were a few steps away, Illana spotted the waitress' eyes suddenly turned wild after seeing how Isabelle looked like. The waitress was quick enough to compose herself though.

"Welcome to the Jade Fin Restaurant, my ladies. A table for two. Certainly." The waitress spoke respectfully. She took a tiny bell and rang it three times. The sound of a bell ringing twice came back in reply. "A thousand apologies, we were not expecting your... guests to appear so early Might I ask, if you are from La Qui..."

The door opened interrupting the waitress' enquiry revealing a waiter in a black tux. He welcome the two into the restaurant. "Please, follow me to your table, my ladies.." The waitress bowed lightly and smiled as she watched Isabelle and Illana depart.

The interior of the restuarant was as beautiful as the exterior. A huge aquarium filled the entirety of the eastern wall. The aquarium was filled with many different and beautiful sea creatures. The waiter led the two to a table on the second floor. From where they were seated, they could see the entire aquairum with ease.

"My apologies. The other tables are taken at the moment. This is the only table we can offer at the moment... But please, take a look at the menu. If you need any help, please do not hesitate to call me. I will wait over there when you are ready to order, my ladies." The waiter retreated ten steps away after handing them two exquiste looking menus.

The menu did not list any prices, did not show much details of what they could order. It just state they could order the following sets. "Delightful Taster", "Seafood Feast", "Lover of the Ocean" and "Ask for your waiter recommendation based on your wants."

If they looked around, they would notice there was another couple sitting at the corner of the first floor, nearest to the kitchen. They were dressed in the 'Medonian's latest fashion for formal men and women'. A waitress stood ten paces away from their table, but comparing the dressing of that waitress and the waitress at the door, the waiter serving them seem much better dressed.
Old March 16, 2018, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana cast a quick glance between the two wondering if this was such a good idea with the waitress' sudden glimpse of ill-composure flashed, but it was already too late. She was almost relieved when the woman started apologizing. Although, her phrasing seemed rather odd.

Illana was about to deny that they were to be expected or that they were from the outlying island of La Quista, but it seemed it was too late. A man in a rather luxurious tux beckoned them to follow, and she was thrown into a world far above her status.

She'd never been so surrounded by fish in her life. It was breathtaking. Each of the fish in the aquarium beautiful in its own way; although, there were more than one which she would rather not run into out in the open.

When they were finally situated at their table, she was sure this treatment wasn't meant for them. Their view was spectacular despite the waters apologies. She glanced around the restaurant before glancing at the menu.

"Isabelle," she almost hesitated to ask, but she'd rather be kicked out of the place before they ordered than after and having a debt she couldn't pay. She'd been frugal with her earnings, and had a bit saved up, but this place wreaked of coin. "Did you have plans to come here later in the brighting? The maitre d seemed to think we were expected."
Old March 18, 2018, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

Isabelle was surprised to hear the waitress asking if they were from La Quista. Did the waitress know Isabelle when she stayed in the island? She was nodding to the answer when a man appeared and beckoned them to follow. She wondered if people from La Quista had certain benefits around here. Regardless, she allowed herself to be led.

The table assigned was a beautiful place. Isabelle could see the ocean from here. It would be nice, for a change, to eat pipping hot food while in view of swimming creatures. Underwater, she often eat raw food or cold, soggy food.

“I am not too sure Illana. I thought they were simply not expecting guests to come so early, but there are two others already here. Since we are here, it would be rude to just walk away.” Isabelle replied in a low voice. “I wonder if there was someway to ask for the price.”

Isabelle waved the waiter over to ask. “How much would each of this set cost and what are the dishes in them?”
Old March 18, 2018, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

The waiter could sense something between the two ladies, frustration perhaps . He prayed it was not his service or some stain he couldn’t see on his clothes. He had noticed one of the ladies was a Mer. Did Mers eat fish, it would be akin to half cannibalism, wouldn’t it. That couldn’t be the case, as he had seen other mers eating fishes before. Then it hit him, some mers didn’t like to see the exact type of seafood they are eating. That must be the case.

An opportunity came when Isabelle called him over to ask a strange question, followed by a typical question. People didn’t walk in here to ask for prices, especially when there was a discount, though many asked for the exact menu. Then the reason for the price asking hit him again. Of course they need to know the pricing. “My ladies. For the Delightful Taster, it includes a bit of everything, great for the first timer here. The Seafood Feast, as the name suggest, is a feast of all kinds of seafood. The Lover of the Ocean is our special. It is like the Seafood Feast, except better.” The prices the waiter informed was not as expensive as they thought it might be. The Delightful Taster was well within Sterling Wealth, if they don’t mind going on stale bread and for the rest of the cycle. The other two was for Steel Wealth... or living on stale bread for the rest of the season.

”But what I would truly suggest, is something I would suggest to most of my guests. The Delightful Taster with a slight modification. Most of my guests had commented the modification made the taster even more delicious and half the time, they didn’t know they were eating seafood. Trust me, they are. As for the price, if you could put in a good word...” The waiter winked and flashed a charming smile. He hand-signed the price with his fingers, telling them a price even lower than the original pricing for the Delightful Taster before backing off, waiting for the two ladies to make a decision.
Old March 20, 2018, 04:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

"The last option sounds like a nice deal. I think we can afford that." Isabelle remarked after the waiter retreated. "I wonder why he wants us to put in a good word for him. You think he is in probation or did that angered his boss? It might be."

If Illana was agreeable to ordering, Isabelle waved the waiter over.

"We will accept your recommendation, er." Isabelle paused, waiting for the waiter to inform of his name. "I am confident the dishes would be good, (insert waiter name once he had given it)"
Old March 20, 2018, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana relaxed as the waiter spoke. Her unease playacted with the ease manner of an expert in people. She wasn't often so nervous, but the combination of forcing herself to try fish and the unusual greeting at the door, put her on her toes. One could never be too careful without knowing all the parts.

Each menu item grew in grandeur, and in price, but she was ready to pay each price the waiter offered. If she were going to try seafood, she wanted to do it right.

She nodded with a smile at Isabelle's suggestion. Even though she'd agreed to eat seafood, she still wasn't sure she'd be able to stomach the idea. If the modified taster allowed for the image of seafood from passing before her, she'd take it.

"Please let us know the best way of supporting you." Illana added. Who could tell exactly why the man would need such a seemingly small favor.
Old March 21, 2018, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

The waiter introduced himself "Muneris Optimus, at your service." He winked at Illana when she asked what she could do to help him.

The first dish was served within the next five minutes. Muneris presented the dish with the words. "Dinner is served, my ladies. Crabe sur le concombre and a glass of rich, full-bodied red wine with a hint of vanilla, fermented in an oak barrel. Enjoy." He stepped back, allowing the ladies some privacy to enjoy the food. In front of each of them was a decorated plate containing three thin slices of cucumbers. On each of the bite size cucumbers was a cake of smashed crab meat.

From left to right:
The meat was drizzled with lime juice and a silver of thyme laid on it.
The meat was lightly seasoned with white and black pepper.
The meat was infused with beer and a petal of rose laid on it.

Below, a bell rang once and a auburn haired elf waitress emerged from the kitchen, heading to the main door.

Must read oocImagine what you will taste. Bon Appetit!
Old March 21, 2018, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

When Isabelle looked at the food, she was not sure what surprised her more. The portion of the food or the inability to guess what the meat was.

"Well, like let us enjoy our food then." Isabelle said after seeing the waiter retreated. "It should be good."

Isabelle took the first slice of cucumber, brought it to her nose and took a careful bite. A little minty, a tad sourish. She could not guess what it was even after taking the second bite.

"Too sour for my liking, but it has a refreshing taste. I guess this is supposed to stimulate the appetite?" She commented and took a sip of the wine. Usually, it would be too strong for her liking, but paired with the sourish food, it was kist nice.

Taking a bite on the second cucumber slice, a smile appeared on her face. It was definitely the taste of crab and made in the way she liked. She decided not to comment on this, but just a sip of the wine before asking. "What do you think of this?"

The final slice looked pretty. A flower petal on top. Taking a generous bite, she almost spitted it out. Beer! Her eyes opened wide, reached for her wine and gulp everything down, using the wine to push the food down. She carefully left the small remainder piece of the cucumber and meat on the table.

"What do you think?" Isabelle asked Illana after taking several deep breath. "The last piece is not to my liking, but it was because I tasted the extremely odd and bitter taste of beer."
Old March 21, 2018, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Adventurer

The smell took her breath away. That first inhale caught deep in her soul as Mr. Muneris set the plate on the table with exquisite care. "Crabe sur le concombre." Her tongue stumbled over the words as she salivated. Her diet typically consisted of bread with some type of meat less stew containing more potato and broth than anything else. She was used to living meagerly. It meant she could spend her coin elsewhere, but today might just change that.

After a busy morning and an afternoon of socializing, she was famished. Some part of her appreciated the care their cook had taken in preparing this creature, placing it just so on the platter with a deliberate measure of citrus and herb or the speckles of black across another, but her stomach spoke loudly to urge her on. It was a tantalizing and sententious place to be. Stuck between a deep hunger and the precipice of food. She paused with deliberate repose picking up her wine glass and inhaled its fragrance. A soft note of vanilla touched her before taking a draw on the liquid bliss. Had she really been depriving herself of such luxuries her entire life. The glass lingered delicately in hand before she readily exchanged it for her fork.

She hadn't noticed the fineness of the utensil before, but now that it was in her hand she took more notice. It was light. Much lighter than her own clumsy wooden spoon she used on a day to day base. The bright polish reflected the jade decorations with ease, but it couldn't hold her attention for long.

The one with the rose petal seemed like a good place to start; though, it was all she could do from picturing some strange looking fish. The idea wasn't the issue, it was the smell, but this thing on her fork smelled of a hops and something strange, but not unpleasant. Nothing like the fishy smell, as her mother described it to her. Before this moment, she'd thought there was no other smell to fish than that one, rather repugnant smell from her childhood.

No, this was rather enjoyable. Even her stomach agreed. Her taste buds agreed far more.

It was soft and unusually delicate for any other meat she'd eaten. It kind of flaked in her mouth like the boiled meat she often had, but the taste was soft but delicious with the rose petal lingering almost as an aftertaste. She'd done it! She'd avoided the thing for so long, it seemed silly. A smile crept across her lips as she took the speckled piece of light colored meat. Pepper. Yes, she enjoyed pepper, but she rarely spared the expense of using it so liberally... but it was perfect.

Last was one Isabelle hadn't quite enjoyed, but so far, the chef had not missed with anything in her view. She scooped up the last piece smelling the citrus before it touched her taste buds. Sprig of thyme and all. This piece seemed even more delicate than the other pieces, if that were possible. It melted in her mouth, but the thyme gave her something more to chew on. Its fresh aroma filled her senses.

"I never expected this to be so wonderful." Illana exclaimed as she let the flavors linger. "I'm not much of a beer fan either, but I rather enjoyed it. My favorite was the peppered one, but I love peppered meats." Fish was a meat after all. Not that she had ever admitted that to herself before.

"Isabelle," She looked pointedly at the Mer. "What exactly is a Crab? Is it a type of fish?" She knew there were other types of creatures in the sea, but she also knew each fish had a name, just the same as creatures on land do. She was sure she'd heard of the creature, but in all frankness, she'd never payed much attention to the sea or its contents. She was, utterly and completely, a land creature who happened to settle near the vast blue mass. She at least owed the creature the decency to be eaten by someone who knows what it is.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

While they were enjoying their meal, two set of customers appeared. The first set was two young ladies in expensive dresses. Either one of the dresses had enough material to fit a poor family for an entire month. The second set was an elderly looking man. He looked uncomfortable walking in his doublet.

The waiter waited patiently for either the signal that the second dish was ready, or for the two to call him over.

During the waiting time, Isabelle and Ilana have some time to talk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: