Old October 14, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Cherjaine is a benevolent Adventurer

[Medonia] Making the perfect store

Timestamp: Ioannes Era XXIV

Half a month after Alphonsus apprehended Lord Jadon and his gang of highwaymen, he received two letters. The first went to the constabulary, an official looking envelope from the Prefecture. It was his letter of appointment, to become a Rotager in charge of a constabulary under the Prefect Hugh Sammo’s care.

The second went to his home, a simple envelope that was quite thick. In the envelope was a letters and a stack of banknotes.

Quote:
Seek out a place that can serve not only as a store for selling your instruments. It must have a backroom as a workshop and a large separate area as a storage area. It is imperative that the shop have a back exit. Although there is not any need for you to seek out a prime location, but this will be your shop and your mean to earn more.

Your first two apprentices are ready for you when you locate a building suitable for us.

Happy doing business with you.
Counting the banknotes, there were enough money to purchase the shop, renovation, tools and crafting materials.
Old October 14, 2017, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

When Alphonsus returned to the Nightingale Conservatory, Terence approached him with a thick envelope. He thanked the butler and quickly adjourned to the sanctity of his room. He was really excited after getting the letter of appointment from the prefecture, and was now there was another letter. There was only one person who would send such thick letter. Rot'i from Natura, giving him a long winded reported of what was happening in Nature Tune. He prayed it was good news.

He opened the letter and saw the bank notes first. He was amazed by the amount of money that land had earned, but when he started on the letter, he felt a little down. It was still good news. Madam Fracois and the Cadre had kept to their word to start a little shop for him. The bad news was, such an investment came with a price...

The new Rotager didn't began his search for a shop immediately. He informed to the Prefect that the 'orders' for him to start a the shop had came when he met him in the evening.

If there were no further instructions from either side, he would spend the next few brightenings looking for a potential shop while he was patrolled. On the brightening of his official rest, he headed to the Aedile's Office.

"Serale! I am looking to for a place where I can start up a shop to sell musical instruments. As you know, some instruments are rather large and if you have any recommendation for a good place with a large storage area and workshop. If there are two doors, that would be great. I don't think it is a good idea for the dusty crafter to be entering and exiting through the same exit as a customer... even though I will be that dusty crafter." He grinned at the Aedile. "I have seen several locations at the The Unicorn Plaza that might fit the profile."

He revealed the locations to the Aedile and waited for more recommendations.

Secrets :
ooc: Old Map

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Injured Hand. Slow post
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2017, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hero

OOC: There is a map of Medonia?
I think your constabulary will be located around The Unicorn Plaza. Tilly’s Bar will be located near the docks and Madam Fracois school is located in the Southeast Quarter

IC: The aedile listened to the request, stating their prices and recommended a few other sites in other parts of town.

Those Alphonsus listed cost around a third to three quarter of the money he was sponsored. The one next to the crossroad was three quarter of his money. The one a few minutes walk from the constabulary and in the middle of the district was about half. The others, in not so good location, were about a third.

For those around the docks, there was one near the entrance to the dock district with a large storage and crafting area. It only cost about half the money given. Then there was another one in the busiest part of the docks which cost only a third.

The aedile also recommended three locations in the Southeast Quarter, ,the racier part of town. The first was at a crossroad with the heaviest traffic. It will cost most of the money. The other two locations cost about half. One was slightly smaller, but it was situated near good traffic. The other was comparatively bigger than the other locations, aside from the first dock location, it was near Madam Fracois’ place, but it was a little out of the way.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

The favourite place he had chosen, the crossroad in the Unicorn Plaza cost too much. The other two locations were not really to his liking, but he needed to show what he needed to the Aedile, thus he chosen the others... Especially the one near the constabulary...

The Aedile did not let him down and revealed a few other places around town. Alphonsus gave the docks area a miss, not wanting his wares to be hawker around the docks. The Southeast Quartersracier?, the area with beautiful gardens, was more to his liking. He was surprised there were two locations that fitted the profile.

"The first location you have pointed out, how much smaller is it?" Alphonsus asked. He didn't want to be too close to Madam Fracois' place as he felt that the cons outweight the pros. Yes, he could keep an eye out on the Madam easier, but it also meant she could keep an eye out on him easier too. What's more, he was not going to be in the shop the entire time, allowing Madam Fracois ease of access to the place.

After know approximately how much smaller the place was, Alphonsus asked for more recommendations. "Do you have any more recommendations around the Unicorn Plaza that would fit my request?" He given the price range to be about half of the sponsored monies, to have a good traffic flow, but a little further away from the constabulary.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; October 16, 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old October 16, 2017, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

The aedile introduced one more place which might fit Alphonsus’ request. It is slightly more than half money given by the Cadre, was located in the Unicorn Plaza, half an hour walk from the Constabulary, and had a relatively good traffic flow. The shop was not too big, only half the size of the other shops recommended, but there was a basement. When the floor area combined, the shop size was comparable to other the other shops recommended. It had a back door leading through an alleyway of course.
Old October 16, 2017, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus considered the last recommended area and found it good. It was near enough for him to visit before the brightening began and when after reporting to the Prefect in the darkening. It was slightly above half the given monies, but he was sure it was more than enough. "That sounded good. I would like to take a look at the place."

After looking at the place, and if it was as described, he would do all the paperwork immediately

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 18, 2017, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

An agent of the office was called out and he brought Alphonsus to the shop. It was as described. Although the aedile had failed to say how much repairs was needed. The stairs to the basement was badly rotted, the roof needed to be re-slated and the place was turned to store room by nearby shops. The agent tutted at the junk and informed Alphonsus if he signed the papers now, everything in this place is officially his.

If Alphonsus was not satisfied with this place, the agent will bring him to the other shops. The others shops were as described. Those places needed minimal renovations.
Old October 18, 2017, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus decided on the shop the agent had showed him first. Although there was a lot of renovation to do, a basement was always good. His plan was to use the front half of the place as a store, cupboards along to wall to display some of his finished product, a table and comfortable chairs for customers wanting customization, and a front desk for payment. The back half would be for crafting. The basement would be for storage only. One of the biggest reason why basement was attractive to the elf was because basements were hard to create. If he needed to extend his shop in the future, he could create a second floor. He thought for a while and decided to ask the cost for building a second floor from the renovator.

"I will take this. Could you direct me to a good renovator or builder?"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 18, 2017, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

OOC: Hope it is alright if I push you ahead at this point.

The paperwork was cleared quickly and Alphonsus was the proud owner of a new shop.

“I am sure someone will be coming soon and speaking of the devil.” The agent said as the door opened. A dwarf entered the shop. The agent greeted the dwarf, gave the completed papers to Alphonsus and headed back to his office.

The dwarf introduced himself, “Bobby. I help a lot of new owners renovate their place. I give good price. Let me know what you need.”

Based on what Alphonsus wanted, he quoted about half of the remaining crowns for repairing the roof, changing the stairs, cleaning the place up and installing all the furnitures and furnishing. It was a competitive price if Alphonsus were to ask around. He even volunteered to sift through the junk and buy anything worth buying.

If Alphonsus wanted a second floor, the price quoted will leave him with very little to spend for material cost.
Old October 18, 2017, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

oocI don't mind

The dwarf builder came at the most fortuitous of time. The Aedile's officer seem to know this dwarf as well. Alphonsus guessed this dwarf must be paying some commission to either the Aedile or to this officer for informing him a job was required. No matter. If the price was right...

"Serale Bobby! Yes. I would need some work to be done around here." Alphonsus greeted the dwarf and told him what he required.

The pricing were quite good, but adding a second story to the place was a bit to the expensive side. The dwarf volunteering to help sell the junk was a good thing too.

"How much would it be to just make half the second story. I can use the other half as an outdoor area or to build it up in the future." He asked Bobby. Turning to the pile of junks, he continued. "Also, it will be great you can try to sell away some of the things here. Take some if you like, but let me have a look to see what I can find here."

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; October 18, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old October 19, 2017, 06:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

“Half a second floor is the same price as building the full thing for your second floor, give or take.” Bobby said. “Sounds good. Let us look through all this stuff together. See what we can use, sell or I keep.“

Bobby started sifting through the things, showing off his impressive strength by lifting heavy objects easily and sorting them out. In the end, there were five piles.

The largest first pile was filled with junks. Stones, metal things, small pieces of wood, empty broken crates and bottles. Bobby say he will only be taking things from this pile, saying they can be used for his personal projects. He also assured Alphonsus he would not be using these such items to build any houses or shops for people.

The second largest pile was a pile of ashes. They used to be rotten things. Chest with food, timbre with ants and more. Bobby started a contained fire at the alleyway to burn these objects out.

The third pile was large because the objects were quite large. They were a mixture of chairs, stools, small tables and even a cupboard. Everything was of different design. Bobby said he will attempt to sell all these items for as much as he can, openly declared he will keep a bit of commission for himself. The money will be used to purchase matching furnitures of Alphonsus liking. Coming to that point, Bobby requested for his wood preference and designs for his furnitures.

The fourth pile was the smallest and it contained usable items just like the first pile. A bolt of cloth, an anvil, tools of farming, blacksmithing, tailoring and more. Bobby asked if Alphonsus wished to keep anything. If not, he would sell them off and try to get tools instrument making. It was not all from the goodness of his heart, though he declared 80% was. Again he openly said he will collect a little commission for his role as a middleman.

The last pile was two locked heavy boxes. Bobby said he could destroy the built in locks, but it was such a waste. He left it for Alphonsus to decide what he wished to do.

“All that settled, I will come back tomorrow with the design. Once in agreement, you make a quarter payment upfront and the remaining at the end of everything. I will have everything done up for you in ten days. That is a promise or 10% refund.”
Old October 19, 2017, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

Without the dwarf help, Alphonsus was sure he would have taken a few brightenings to sort the piled out. Nay, even with brightenings, he was sure the pile would not be sorted out as proper as now. Bobby was a good organizer.

After Bobby informed what to do with each pile, Alphonsus agreed with the decisions.

The largest first pile, though had things he could use for making instruments, were from dubious origins. He wasn't going to sell something crafted with unknown materials. "Take them Bobby, if you promise it is only for personal use and not for buildings."

What could he do with the second pile of ash? It was already ashes. Maybe there was.
"Please help me scatter the ashes around the plant life around here. It will be good for them."

To the third pile and fourth pile. "I am thinking of using teal or oak wood for all my furnitures. They will last very long and good to look at. Color theme wise, wood and green will be good. If the things in the two piles can't be used for the shop, do sell them if you can. I agree that you should take 20% of the selling price." Alphonsus smiled, catching the hint. He also saw that if Bobby sold the items away for a commission, the dwarf would try harder to raise the price.

To the two heavy boxes, Alphonsus decided to seek out a locksmith to open them.

"Alright then. I will see you in the morrow." Alphonsus bade Bobby farewell and went in search for a locksmith to open the two boxes.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 20, 2017, 05:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hero

Bobby was happily left the shop, promising to return the same time tomorrow.

Alphonsus found a locksmith who opened the locks without breaking them.

The first chest contained more chests of varying sizes. Those chests had locks on them, but they were not locked. Each chest contained a key that fitted their own lock. There were fifteen of those smaller chests

The second chest contained a lot of silver swords and copper shields!. It looked that way. On closer look, they were just coin-shaped disc made of iron and copper.

The next day, Bobby returned as promised and showed three designs he had drawn for the shop.

OOC: Describe how you envision the first floor and the basement. You will see that in one of the designs
Old October 20, 2017, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus was disappointed with what he saw in the chests. Empty chests and small metal discs. He guessed he could use the smaller chest to store his instruments.

When Bobby returned the following brightening, he was pleased with one of the design.

He oriented the front entrance of the design to face him, noting it as "south" although he wasn't sure if was compass south. It didn't matter. It was for his personal reference. The back exit faced "north."

The store would be split into two by a thin wall. Another door connecting the two rooms was located at the left side of this wall.

Instead of a general counter, he saw two tables. A long table just in front of the door to the workshop. That would limit entry of unauthorised personnel. It would also serve as a point of sales. The other table was set along the eastern wall. It was a writing table, a good place to talk to customers who wanted customisation. Along the west and south walls were cupboards to showcase his finished instruments.

The east of the back room was filled with the staircase down. The west had a long crafting table good for two people. The central area was mainly empty. That was good for to make larger tables or for testing of his instrument.

Downstairs, the design was simple. Half the room was lined with cupboards. The other half was empty, reserved for crates and large instruments.

"This design to my favorite! Alphonsus declared, passing the design to Bobby. If all was well, he would sign the contract to renovate the place and make the deposits.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 21, 2017, 05:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

Bobby saw what the treasure chests held and said. “Good find. Decorate the smaller chests for instruments and punch a hole on those round discs and engrave your logo on it. Everyone will know where you are from. Advertisement.”

“Good choice, that design.“ Bobby said. He took out the contract. The contract was well and legal, no loopholes to be found. After all was signed and deposit was made, Bobby asked Alphonsus to return in ten brightening time.

There was a one more task for Alphonsus while he waited.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: