Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Refuge of Medonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old September 24, 2017, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Icefyre is a dubious Denizen

[Countryside]Disappearences in the valley? - Adventure Alphonsus,Alice,Illana,Bothur

Timestamp: Autumn Era XXIV

The inn sat at the head of a valley system, roads branching into the hillsides, and forests converged to this meeting of the ways. A sign of oak, swung from chains, stating that the establishment was called the 'The Fearless Guard". Peoples from the local hamlets, and travellers alike would use this as a place to stay, or to catch up on local gossip, or just to share a tankard of ale with friends.

The inside of the inn comprised of a welcome area / bar, with the main attraction, a massive fire place on the left wall. This was where people could request a room, or look to partAke of the inns fare. All manner of alcoholic drinks were on offer including some local brews that claimed to be able to make even the hardiest dwarf fall on the floor. Food was also available, all at very reasonable prices for what was on offer. Around the walls of the room, hunters trophies of various wild animals that could be found in these parts. There were twelve rooms available on the first floor, and if the need arose then for considerably less coin, there was a large room above the stables, and another above the wagon storage within the barn.

The inn had a stables, able to house ten horses, or mules, and associated storage barn for wagons, etc.

This darkening, there was a change to the usual atmosphere in the inn. Everyone was more sullen. If anyone spoke it was in hushed tones. The residents were all hearing the rumours that were being said about things that were happening in the forested hills that surrounded the inn. The inn keeper had sent word to the major cities asking for assistance, because people were, inexplicably going missing, usually when they were heading to the inn, or heading on further down the roads which lead to the city's of Medonia. The inn keeper was hoping that help would come soon as the missing person list was growing with each brightening that past.

oocThis is the start of an adventure for the following PCs - Alphonsus, Alice ward, Illana Jidiao and Bolthur.

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is an upstanding Citizen

Alphonsus arrived at the inn, using the position of the detective of Medonia. He could have asked a constable to come over to check the case, but he wanted to hear first hand information before delegating the task. Furthermore, he wasn't sure that this part of the province was within the constabulary's jurisdiction. What a private citizen did on his free time, was his own business after all.

"Serale Innkeeper." The elf went straight to the counter. "I am Detective Alphonsus of Medonia. What seems to be the problem?"

As this was a semi-official business visit, Alphonsus was wearing his Cold Weather Traveling Attire, but in the colors of the city. His sword was still sheathed vertically behind his right shoulder, his quiver and crossbow hanging on his belt and a flute in his pocket. He was also carrying a backpack containing some rations, water, an extra change of clothes and surprising, a wooden bowl and wooden spoon.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Catching Up
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 24, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice Ward is an upstanding Citizen
The notice had captured Alice’s eyes. Lost people meant a chance for business. There was chances that dead people would be abound.

She arrived in the inn and noticed Alphonsus was already there. ‘Well, wasn’t that a surprise.’ She thought to herself. Her host was a busybody who seemed to be part of everyone’s affair. Instead of heading straight up to disturb Alphonsus, she took a chair by the counter and called for some warm milk. Goat if they have it.

She wanted to listen around first before involving herself.
Old September 25, 2017, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana Jidiao is an upstanding Citizen
oocI'm not sure what the guidelines are for characters that have met but the thread isn't completed, but since I know I'll have finished the thread by the time this thread starts, I'm just going with the idea that Illana already knows Alphonsus. Let me know if I need to change that.

Illana spent much of her time poking her nose in places it probly shouldn't be for the past several cycles, so when she heard of missing persons, it wasn't much of a question of if she would investigate, but when. Fortunately for her, she knew the elf now introducing himself and he'd already made the very inquiery she hoped to; though, he was far more qualified for the task of an investigation.

"Serale." The young woman poked her head around the elf's shoulder, also greeting the inkeeper with a smile. "I've heard you are missing a few people and I thought I'd come see what I can help with." She stepped around the elf.

She couldn't be more than 17 eras and the woven top and pants she wore spoke of Air'riela connections. A jade scarf wrapped her long white hair back and away from her pale face. She seemed of a firm bild, but other than that, nothing about her spoke of an adventuer... save for the plane long sword sheathed and unadorned on her side. "Oh, I am Illana. Illana Jidiao." She added as an after thought.
Illana Jidiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Bolthur is unknown and forgotten
Bolthur had seen the same notice that Alphonsus had. After all, he'd been living and working in Medonia for a few cycles now. However, he hadn't left for the countryside with the elf. The giant was just beginning to gain the trust of the other citizens working to rebuild Medonia, and he wanted to put in a full brightening's work. Besides, Bolthur was a giant; it wasn't unlikely that he would be able to catch up to Alphonsus once he left the city.

Despite his massive stride, Bolthur did not encounter Alphonsus along the way to 'The Fearless Guard'. When he arrived at the inn, Bolthur did what he was usually forced to concerning buildings made for smaller races. He dropped to his knees, and gently knocked on the front wall of the establishment hoping someone would come to speak with him.
Bolthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

The innkeeper looked up as the first newcomer came to the bar and asked what the situation was. He introduced himself as a detective, which, from the innkeepers perspective was exactly what was needed for the problems he had at the moment.

Another newcomer arrived, placed an order for some goats milk, which was plentiful herein, and sat down. Then another arrived, this one knew the detective, so that sort of made things a bit easier on the situation, introductions could be so long winded sometimes as persons found their standing within a group.

The innkeeper was just about to perform his own introduction when there was a tap on the door. The 'tap' nearly knocked the door off its hinges, ment that the innkeeper went to open it. In front of him was a sight he hadn't seen before. A very large body blocked all light before him. He looked up to see the giant looking down.

Bolthur: The innkeeper looked up and shouted "Leave the door there friend next time. I haven't a room big enough for you inside, but if you're looking to stay you can sleep in the barn store over there. The chef, my wife, is going to love this.

So what say you. I am just talking with others inside. Maybe you listen and if you want to help we can all look to get some answers to a problem."

All:

The innkeeper returned, leaving the door open.

"Serale and welcome to 'The Fearless Guard'. My name is Vernell Hale. I am owner of the inn. Thank you for coming.

I have a problem here at the inn. Over the past few brightenings there have been a number of people that have mysteriously disappeared as they have been traveling here. This is making the people in the hamlets of the area very nervous. There are others blaming everything on this inn, which is bad for business. So I have sent messages, and here you are.

I do not have a lot of information about what has happened but if you have questions then feel free to ask and I will give what information I know. "

Old September 27, 2017, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus noticed Alice sitting further away when she ordered her drink. He turned and simply nodded to acknowledge her presence. He had declared he was a detective and he wanted to act as one.

Then Illana came and he looked over his shoulder and smiled. His dancer was here as well.

The elf thought. If only Medonia's giant came too. At that moment, there was a sudden loud knock that almost send the door flying. Alphonsus was surprised that his wish came true the moment he thought about it and quickly wished for a million gold pieces to drop from the roof. Nothing of such thing happened and he sighed theatrically.

The innkeeper began talking not long after and the detective took notes. At the end of it, he scratched his chin with his quill. "Vernell. Are there any similarity between those missing, like all girls, all humans? Do you have a list of those you know missing? Any witnesses you know saw the missing people? Who was the last person you know missing and what he or she was doing? Where were you in these times? Is that vodka strong over there?"

The elf suddenly kept quiet and blush. "Sorry for the interrogating like manner. Habit from work." He hoped he had covered the true reason for his embarrassment. He was an elf who was easily distracted, but a passing bee, a floating cloud, or a stiff bottle of drink. He had tried to overcome that proble, but occasionally, it still popped out.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 27, 2017, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana jumped at the sound the giant resounded through the inn. ”That was unexpected.” She muttered to herself as she saw just who created the rucks. She’d seen the giant around Medonia, often doing some form of hard labor…. Hard was a relative term in his case as he made the hauling of stone appear rather easy. A smile crossed her lips as she thought of the wonderful opportunity not presenting itself. She’d intended to introduce herself to the giant some time ago, but had not had the opportunity. Now there was no way of avoiding it.

Her attention returned to the innkeeper as he spoke on the matter at hand. Recently begun. Relatively short time frame. All associated with the Inn… maybe not associated, but at least destined. People are nervous and the inn is to blame. Each mental note filed quickly away.

Alphonsus beat everyone to the punch, drilling the man with questions. She only half listened to the rambling questions as she reviewed her own trip here from Medonia. She had been alone. She was young. If people were being snatched out of convince, she had been a rather easy target. Her hand lightly touched the long sword at her side and she almost laughed. The strange object at her side was nothing more than decoration, but in this case, its simple presence may have deterred those would be abductors.

”If you have a list of individuals missing, will you include where they were traveling from and what items they possessed on their travels. If they had any weapons, visible or hidden. Any jewelry or coin?” Her questions immediately followed the elf’s apologies; though, she gave him a rather queer look before glancing around the inn to discover this vodka he was so interested in.
Old September 27, 2017, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice returned Alphonsus’ nod with a nod, but did not say anything else.

When the innkeeper began to talk, she sat closer to listen. At the end, she asked a few questions. ”Alice here. This might sound callous of me. Is there anyone reported dead? Any of them stayed in the inn and actually left personal effects?”
Old October 5, 2017, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Bolthur is unknown and forgotten
As the innkeeper opened the door, he quickly explained that there was no room for him inside. That was to be expected, as was the offer to sleep in the barn. Bolthur politely declined the offer to use the barn as a lodging, explaining that his presence would likely startle the animals. If at all possible, he would only require enough blankets to cover himself with, and he would sleep beneath the stars.

After the introductions were made, Bolthur listened to the situation as well as the questions asked of Vernell Hale. The giant would take a moment to ponder not only the questions that the others had asked, but he would wait to hear the innkeeper's responses to them as well before he came up with his own queries. After taking a moment to consider what was said, Bolthur formulated his own questions.

"I have a few questions as well." Bolthur stated, wanting to make sure he wouldn't be interrupted. Once he was certain he had everyone's attention he continued.

You said that a number of people have disappeared mysteriously in the past few brightenings. Do we know how many have disappeared? Also, you mentioned that the missing people were destined here, to your inn. I assume that means you know who the missing people are. But, how do you know they were coming here? Did they have friends or relatives that knew they were coming here? And lastly, you've said that some people are claiming that the inn is somehow responsible for these disappearances. Who is spreading that rumor? Do you have enemies that would start a rumor to sully your reputation?" Bolthur asked the questions slowly, taking his time to make sure they were understood. It was a lot of information to ask for, and Hale had mentioned that he didn't know much about the situation. Bolthur wasn't hopeful that he would get a lot of answers, but it was better to ask. However, now that he had asked them, he wished that he could speak privately with Alphonsus. There were other matters to discuss.
Bolthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 06:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

oocsorry for the delays. RL is such a pain, and then admin of my threads etc. Anyways let’s get this moving.

”I’ll try to answer your questions. I know of five people that were supposed to arrive at this inn as part of their travels. They come from some of the hamlets not too distant from this place. I know that they should have reached here because others have come looking for them and reported them missing. The five were not all human, not all the same sex, or ages they were just travellers, of sorts.
  • Ruben Preston - human, about thirty ordinations. He’s a farmer, going to the fair to sell some produce about two weeks ago. His wife came here to say he hadn’t been in contact and if I’d seen him.
  • Windfhell Rivers - A young Male, only twenty. He is the son of a blacksmith, from the same hamlet as Ruben. He was travelling on to look for work in the large city, or beyond. He hasn’t reported home for three weeks and his parents are worried.
  • Merlara Dapetor - A female elf, a hundred and thirty five, a Bard. She was due to come here to perform but she didn’t show up. The last known place was from another hamlet further away to the north. No one has seen her for over two weeks.
  • Elikas Olosys - A young man, twenty three ordinations, no information about him, other than his brother passed through yesterday looking for him, he was supposed to return to his home five brightenings ago. His home is in a hamlet south of here, he was heading north, but after leaving here he has not been seen or heard of.
  • Foy Brockhouse - a female Cether, who was supposed to visit her aunt in the woods. She had some food and supplies to give her aunt, but she never arrived. This was about two weeks ago.

None had much in the way of items per se, but they were heading too or from here. I’m unsure of any weapons the people may have been using, I’m not sure, but they would have been stupid to travel unarmed

You asked if I have any enemies? Not that I know of. Most people are happy for the welcome rest my inn provides. The rumours are being spread by those that are looking for their relatives and loved ones.

As to possessions etc. There may be some who had items of note on them, but I wouln’t have thought that the items would be worth a lot.

That’s basically all I know at the moment, unless you need more, such as directions to the hamlets and things?

Old October 23, 2017, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

"Ruben and Windfhell were from the same hamlet. I am guessing they are heading north too? Merlara came from the north, but never reached here. Elikas headed north too. This Foy, did she heard north as well? That shrinks our search area down a little." Alphonsus declared after summarising all the clues. "Most likely, they disappeared somewhere between here and the bard Merlara's hamlet. Pray tell, where is this Merlara's hamlet."

"Is there anymore you can think that might aid in searching for these people. Anything that seem small or insignificant, like a influx of people, a rumor of a lone goblin appearance or even a sudden increase in birds and animals in the area."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old October 24, 2017, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

The information didn’t give her anything important, except for the names of the people. Names were useful, but without their love ones nearby, she needed the possessions of these people.

”So, nothing of theirs were left behind?” She asked again.
Old October 29, 2017, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Adventurer

Illana listened to the man's account with interest. Many of them seemed to have gone missing on their travels North. One three weeks ago, three two weeks ago, one only a few brightings ago. With the frequency of the missing, it didn't seem like who ever or whatever the culprit was, cared much about discovery, nor did they possess a desire for any specific type of prey.

It didn't quite possess the earmarks of a predictorial creature as there were so many whom vanished two weeks ago and with five people already missing, it wouldn't be too hard to have found some type of remnants left from a struggle... torn clothing, strew travel equipment of some type, even blood or a gnarled corps. Maybe a group had moved into the area? Maybe a Necromancer needed bodies? Who knew.

Alphonsus appeared to be in his element a she shot of more questions and Alice prodded for anything more. Between the two of them, they seemed to be thinking beyond her, asking what they felt might help solve the mystery. "I'm not very familiar with the area. Directions or a map would be very helpful."
Old April 14, 2018, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

oocMy apologies for being absent, but I am back and we can look to continue with the players available

The innkeeper looked around the inn, and at those that were collected in his place. He shook his head as he spoke. I'm afraid they took their only belongings with them. The only thing I can say is the ones that have left this place, they went of the north road. Perhaps they will have laft clues along they have taken, somehow that may show by markings, or other means... Im sorry I do not have further help to give, but I hope this may be enough.

He raised his shoulders once as he looked to those who were asking for more help. He began to rise, and motioned to the bar...

"If you need some supplies have have some I am willing to share...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: