Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Refuge of Medonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old September 18, 2017, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is an upstanding Citizen

Stein [Medonia] A sack of grapes, a bit of yeast and the right amount of time

The Month: Mid Ioannes
The Season: Summer
The Era: XXIV Post Fractum

Alphonsus was composing his latest piece of work when his wineskin was empty. He could continue his composition without any wine most of the time, and he preferred it that way. A sober mind worked better, but not this time. He was currently in the first step of composition. Seeking inspiration. Inspiration came from everywhere, children playing, a flying nightingale and even a broken cup, but Alphonsus was seeking more than the usual inspiration. Like some other bards (or maybe even most other bards)... 'Write drunk, Edit Sober'. At this moment, he doubt he was anywhere near buzz.

The elf sighed and took a look at his pouch reserved for wine. It was getting pretty low and there were at many more brightenings before he was allowed to top that particular pouch up. An idea came to him, but it was not something related to music. What if he learn to brew wine and beer himself? That would surely save him quite a bit of swords.

With the idea in mind, he headed to the streets, looking out for any stores that he might learn from. Worst case scenario, he could just buy some grapes, yeast and a barrel and try making wine himself.

As he walked around, thinking the best way to learn and trying very hard to recall the recipes of brewing wine and beers, he felt a tap on his shoulder. It was one of the gate guards he knew. He looked up and sighed. He had accidentally blundered towards the gates again.

S O F
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit.
[Add little to little and there will be a big pile]

Posting Status: Catching Up
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM.
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Companion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Erion is an upstanding Citizen
Alphonsus turned to face the guard who was holding out a standard Imperial visa for him to inspect. The visa belonged to a black-haired dwarf who promptly crossed his arms upon seeing Alphonsus.

"What'll it be, elf? Ah've already told the lad Ah aim ta start a brewery here. Ah won't be kissin' arse ta beg fer permission. Does yer town need businesses or not?" The dwarf asked in the typical dwarven fashion (which was loud).
Old September 22, 2017, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus took the visa from the guards. The price of fame... In this case, duty. He checked over it and looked at the dwarf. All seemed well. When the dwarf informed what he was going to do here in Medonia, the elf could not help but break into a smile.

"All is well, Master dwarf." Alphonsus said, handing him back his visa. "Welcome to Medonia. You are more than welcome to set up you business here!"

"Do you have any idea where would you be setting up?. Oh, where's my manners. My name is Alphonsus. How do I address you?" He had long decided against using his bard-manner of speech at the gates and with dwarves. The people at the gates would most likely stare at him blankly and many dwarves he met did not have the patience for long flowery speeches.

S O F

Old September 30, 2017, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Companion

Gror regarded Alphonsus with suspicion; the elf was being far too friendly for an elf . . . and he wasn't acting nearly as snooty as the rest of his kind usually did. Still, he did like the sound of 'Master dwarf' . . . it was about time an elf showed some respect. When Alphonsus mentioned that he would be allowed to set up his business, Gror uncrossed his arms, took his visa back, and gave Alphonsus a hearty slap on the back.

"That's wonderful! Now, Ah'd have ta look 'round tha city ta figure out tha best place ta set up shop. Somewhere near water or a well would be best." The dwarf said.

As introductions were made, he replied, "My name's Gror, but ye can keep callin' me Master dwarf. It has a nice ring to it comin' from an elf."
Old September 30, 2017, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus staggered forward a little upon the slap on his back. He recovered and commented with a grin. "A mighty arm you have there, Master Dwarf."

Unlike many elves, Alphonsus had lived the first half of his memories in Aelyria Prime as a tavern waiter, a singer and a drinker... Then he headed to Centripax and dwarves were as common as elves there. He always found dwarves to be good company, except during an all-out tavern brawl. He hated all the bruises after such a brawl.

"Master Gror then." He decided to call this man. He was sure Gror was good in something and that already entitled the person to the name of a master.

"I could think of a few places you might want to set up, but really depends on your preferences." He recommended three places he knew.

Near the docks where many taverns were. There were surely water all around.

Near the constabulary where he worked, the community well was behind the constabulary.

Around an area where the richer people have gathered. Snobbish bunch of people with many water sources available.

S O F

Old October 12, 2017, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Companion

As Alphonsus listed off the areas that might be suitable for Gror to establish his brewery, the dwarf quickly held up a hand to stop the elf.

"Ya misunderstand me, elf. Ah want ta set up a brewery . . . ta brew tha drinks that taverns will sell. Ah've no intention of selling my product to tha public. Those places ya listed off are nice and all, but Ah need a more farm-like location." Gror explained. Although it seemed a bit unorthodox, the idea itself made quite a good bit of sense, because it would allow Gror to focus on the business of brewing. Perhaps if his establishment grew profitable enough he could look into expanding into opening a tavern as well, but for the moment the dwarf was happy to make his product and sell it wholesale to others.
Old October 12, 2017, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus thought for a while. "We could look for the local Aedile for suggestion, Master Gror, since we will still need their permission to set things up officially." Then it struck him. There was a place that might work.

"I remembered seeing some abandoned warehouses near the docks. Think they are large enough to set up all the barrels and brewing equipment? We can take a look there if you like."

S O F

Old October 24, 2017, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

There were always abandoned warehouses, it seemed, wherever one went. But to be fair, this was Medonia, where there was abandoned property aplenty in the aftermath of the Xet attack. Granted, a fair amount of it was also rather damaged as a result and needed some fixing, but perhaps they could find something to the dwarf's liking?

"Ah dunno if tha's the sorta thing I'm lookin' fer, but we might as well go and take a look see." There wasn't any harm in going to have a look, after all.
Old October 24, 2017, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus asked the master brewer some questions as he led the way to the warehouses. "Master Gror, if you don't mind me asking, where do you hail from, and why did you choose Medonia to start up your brewery. Also, if would you be interested in teaching an elf to brew beer and wine? I am always interested in learning how to brew beer and wine, but never had any chance to learn from a master."

If they reached the dock district, Alphonsus would wave his hands toward some of the warehouses and asked if they looked good.

S O F

Old October 25, 2017, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

The dwarf explained that he was initially from Zerdargia, although over the past few years he'd been wandering throughout the Empire on business. He'd been all over the place, doing work, learning a lot of things, and just getting a feel for how things operated outside of the dwarven cities. Different cultures and all that, after all. Medonia seemed like an excellent business opportunity due to the fact that the city was still recovering and there were likely lots of services that weren't back up and running yet - whereas most other large cities likely had rather saturated markets, Medonia was hopefully still a great opportunity for those who could get in early.

As for teaching others to brew, the dwarf naturally needed a bit of incentive to teach somebody who could potentially turn into competition. No offense or anything, of course.

As for the warehouses, the dwarf thought things over. They could potentially be what he wanted, but he also wanted to look over all the options available to him. The warehouses seemed big enough for what he wanted and their location meant that the logistics of transportation could hopefully be easy to figure out, but what if there was something better? He wanted a place where the brewing could be uninterrupted and not easily tampered with, either. Perhaps it'd be best to give the Aedile a call regardless.
Old October 25, 2017, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus listened to Gror's history and nodded. Medonia was truly a land of opportunity, if one were daring enough to take the first step to be the leader. There wasn't much competition at this moment, and dwarven ale would surely be a drawing point. That was what he thought.

"Ahhh... I understand about not wanting competition Master Gror. The truth be told, I may want to have a tavern under my name one fine brightening, maybe a few hundred era down the road, unless opportunity comes bashing on my head. In the meantime, I wish to learn mainly for my personal consumption." Alphonsus decided it was best to be fully honest with the dwarf.

He did have an idea brewing in his mind, something that could both be beneficial to the dwarf and to himself. "To let you know, aside from being the Rotager here, I am also a facilitator in the Music Conservatory. We are always looking for good brewers to supply wine and beer for us during our performance darkening. Aside from that... I have actually wanted to delay asking this until I tasted your beer... personally, I am looking to do a bit of investments. Anyway, do think about it. I could either offer to pay you a training fee and a guarantee I would not set up a brewery and sell it to other businesses... or allow me to invest a little in your business and promote it a bit."

Since Gror wanted to see the Aedile, Alphonsus led the way over.

S O F

Old October 25, 2017, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

There were plenty of ways that Alphonsus could try to convince the dwarf to teach him how to brew, and the offerings he provided were certainly tempting. After all, if they could get a non-competition deal doing as well as a trade deal right off the bat for his business, he'd probably be in decent shape, right?

First things first, though, he needed to actually get some property. Off to the Aedile's, then, and while on the way the dwarf just had a single question.

"The heck's a Rotager?"

All right, two questions.

"Never knew Medonia had a music conservatory. So what, that just a big music hall or something?"
Old October 25, 2017, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Legend

"I think that's the local term for the head of a constabulary who report directly to the Prefects. An Inspector rank elsewhere." Alphonsus explained.

"Not really a music conservatory." Alphonsus blushed slightly. "It is a really huge mansion, with its own ballroom, reception hall and concert hall. We have performance every cycle, and during some of these performance, we intend to provide our guests with a little drinks. If it suits the theme of the performance, I was thinking it would be good to bottle the drinks nicely and sell them to the guests."

S O F

Old October 25, 2017, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Well now, that's mighty impressive sounding, innit?" Alphonsus seemed like a pretty big deal around these parts, although the dwarf had to wonder why exactly such a guy would just be showing him around. They didn't think he was acting suspiciously or anything, did they? Was this racial profiling against a dwarf?

"Well what sorta performances are we talkin' about here?" the dwarf asked. "I'd been planning on going with beer to start, it's the stuff I know most about, but obviously that doesn't work with everything. Bottlin' beers a waste, too - put it in a proper keg and open 'em up into tankards, I say!"
Old October 25, 2017, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus shrugged at the comment of 'impressive sounding'. It was impressive sound alright, but if one only knew the truth. He became a facilitator and a rotager mainly by chance. The reason why he frequent the gates was not in his main job descriptions neither. He was actually there to spot smugglers and any Cadre related activities. In the end, he never caught any spot smugglers and any Cadre related activities. Instead he became the first contact for many people with signs that destiny had something in stored for them. A giant, a abjurator and today, a dwarf.

"It is just my wish to keep the peace around Medonia and make it prosper once again. Hopefully, a city of prosperity which ignore race, creed or religion." He grinned at the end of his sentence. "Wishful thinking, yes?"

"Agreed. Beer should be keg. Its always good to break the keg and finish it before a candlemark is up." That was the life before he began his journey as a bard. Work hard, play hard, get drunk, repeat. "One thing at a time then. After you have your brewery up and going, then you can decide whether to expand your business a little."

"Anyway, what do you think, teaching me?"

S O F

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: