Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Refuge of Medonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old November 26, 2017, 03:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

All right, they'd managed to get everything cleaned! It had actually taken a surprising amount of time, although Alphonsus got the impression that all the stuff Gror had was probably in excess of what he was going to need for his personal brewing.

"Let's go check up on your malt." It had probably been soaking for a good enough while now, which meant the elf could move on to the next steps.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:30 AM   #47 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

oocSorry to keep you waiting! Didn't expect to get my trip extended, but I am back.

Alphonsus looked around at what he had cleaned and nodded when the suggestion came to check on the malt. He wondered how long had it been since the had left the malt to soak... It could be a candlemark or it could just be ten minutes, the elf couldn't really tell. When he was cleaning up, he never kept track of time.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Caught Up, Hopefully
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 02:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Okay!

Alphonsus' malt was... well, it was still there. So that was good, right? The dwarf felt like it had been soaking for about the right amount of time by now.

"Now, do you recall what we do next?" He'd let Alphonsus try and do things on his own, see if he remembered at all.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus pondered for a while, shaking away the ache from this shoulders. He guessed he might have been scrubbing for a few candlemarks, at the very least.

"I guess we should light a fire under the stove to boil some water first, Master Gror. Then we add the wheat and the malt to allow it to ferment?" The elf tried to recall what was the next step.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old February 17, 2018, 11:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indeed, yes. And from there... well, it was mostly a matter of waiting. It seemed like waiting was really quite a large part of this entire brewing process. Of course, there were specific parts of the process. Get a kettle of water and start to bring it to a boil, adding the grain in to steep while it heated. Then, add the malt after removing the heat, and make sure not to boil over. Hops were added at various intervals and when they were depended on the recipe in question. This mixture was now wort and the process of getting from it to alcohol... well, perhaps they were getting ahead of themselves.

For now, then, they had their malt, yes? Gror could provide other supplies. Time for Alphonsus to make the wort.
Old February 23, 2018, 10:20 AM   #51 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus started filling the provided kettle with water, lit the stove up, waited for the water to begin boiling. He then added the grains into the kettle and waited. Once Master Gror nodded to continue, or when he judged it was long enough, he removed the kettle from the fire added the malt slowly, careful not to allow the water to overflow.

Along the way, he waited for instruction to see when he could add the other ingredients.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old February 23, 2018, 08:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Well, no, that was it, really. Or at least, for the basics. Perhaps there were a few things one could add to try and get different effects, but the dwarf wasn't going to do Alphonsus that much of a favor - every recipe was sacred to a brewery, after all. It was up to the elf to figure things out on his own beyond the basics.

Once the mixture had been boiling for a fair enough amount of time, however, the heat needed to be taken away and the mixture allowed to cool, as the dwarf described what came next. The most important part, probably: fermentation. There were specific containers designed for this sort of thing, and once the wort was poured in, water could also be added to increase the volume. Once everything was inside of the container, it needed to be shaken around to aerate the wort, introducing more oxygen, which was needed by the yeast to operate. Then, of course, one added the yeast. Seal it, store it in a cool, dark place, and... wait.

There was a lot of waiting when it came to brewing. How long somebody fermented the beer was entirely up to them and it produced entirely different results as well. Lots of experimentation was going to be necessary - there were so many steps along the way to get creative with.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
Legend

"So after we add more water, mix everything up nicely, and adding the yeast, we got to seal it in a cool and dark place." Alphonsus repeated at the end of the task. "It's not as hard as I thought it would be, Master Gror, 'cept there is quite a lot of waiting around."

He tapped his chin with his finger as he tried to remember something he should ask. His eyes widened as he remembered. "How long should the fermentation be? A cycle, a month? I doubt it's a good idea to open the cask every other brightening just to check if it was good to drink." He said in a half-joking, half-worried tone.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old March 4, 2018, 03:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"The procedure itself isn't hard. Getting it right, though, is difficult," the dwarf commented with a nod. "It all sounds simple on principle but in truth there's so much nuance to the craft that it's very simple to screw something up somewhere. So don't go getting arrogant about it before you've even finished your first brew, lad."

"How long you let it stew is up to you, although most leave it around two cycles or so. An easy way to check it is to use a specialty cask - many come with mechanisms that will let you see whether or not the brew is still bubbling or not." No bubbling meant that the fermentation was pretty much done.
Old March 6, 2018, 10:28 AM   #55 (permalink)
Legend

A specialty cask, Alphonsus wondered if it was expensive or whether it was justifiable to purchase one in the beginning.

"Thank you, Master Gror. I will keep in mind about what I have learnt this brightening, follow the procedure to the letter, and learn everything I can... Perhaps by reading or from experimentation. I pray my experiments doesn't spoil my stomach." The elf bowed as he thanked his trainer sincerely.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old March 6, 2018, 04:14 PM   #56 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Aye, good luck with it! First few batches you might end spitting out the moment you taste it, but you just gotta keep at it, see what happens. At the end of the day, plenty of people willing to drink piss as long as it's got alcohol in it!" The dwarf laughed at his own joke.

"Did you want to keep your fermenting brew here? Or shall you be taking it with you?"
Old March 8, 2018, 06:06 AM   #57 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus chucked at Master Gror's statement. "That's so true. When people get drunk, they would drink anything with a bit of alcohol within. I guess if it really taste that badly, I could use it to refertilize some brown spot in the garden or perhaps use as a marinating source."

"I think I would leave it here. In any case, I doubt I have the strength to carry the barrel home by myself." He said after thinking it through.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old March 8, 2018, 11:20 AM   #58 (permalink)
Foreboden!

"Very well, we can keep it here and monitor it for you. You're free to stop by whenever you'd like if you want to keep tabs on it, or when you feel like it's ready to open back up!"
Old March 8, 2018, 11:51 AM   #59 (permalink)
Legend

"Thank you, Master Gror. I will be back to have a look soon. Feel free to drop by any time on performance brightenings." Alphonsus bowed deeply towards the master dwarf. If there was nothing else, Alphonsus bade farewell.

During the next two cycles, although Alphonsus promised himself not check in too often, but he felt compelled to see how his beer goes. In the end, he found himself checking in on the beer once every few brightenings to see how the beer performed.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old March 9, 2018, 03:17 AM   #60 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Time passed. There were a few interactions between Alphonsus and Gror - occasionally the dwarf dropped by to watch a performance, sometimes he sent word of the progress noted on his brew. Eventually it seemed like the time was right to see how it had all come together.

The bubbling had stopped and it seemed like the fermenting was more or less done. All that was left to be done was open up the cask and have the first drink. The honor would belong to Alphonsus, of course. Everything that was needed had been provided by the dwarf.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: