Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Refuge of Medonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old September 13, 2017, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Luminary

Cherjaine is a benevolent Adventurer

[Medonia] Detective in action or inaction (Alphonsus)

Timestamp: Ioannes Era XXIV

It had been a month since Alphonsus had taken the role of the detective and there was not much going for him. Criminals had decided it was not a good idea to seek out the newly in-charge to tell their sob stories. There were still cases the constables could not handle and that was when the detective comes in.

As usual, when Alphonsus arrived, Inspector Freddy smiled and dropped four case files on the table. “Good. See what you think and let me sign off at the end. I did not sleep well last night, so going to sleep in the bunks. Call me when you are about to leave.”

As Freddy left, David appeared and informed Alphonsus. “Detective. All those four offenders are locked downstairs. I can bring them up if you wish to talk to them.”

Case 1:
John Andrews. Human Male. First time offender.
Broke into a merchant’s house and attempted to steal. The merchant’s servant caught him in the act and he had admitted guilty. Attached is a signed guilty sheet.

Case 2:
Hosea Roveri. Half Elf Male.
Domestic violence case of constant wife beating. The wife had finally reported the case. Attached are several signed sheets of witness’ statement. The constables did not want to handle this case as Hosea was the nephew, twice removed, of the local Perfect.

Case 3:
Tigera Volnus. Human Male. Tavern Owner.
Witness state he was not attempting to stop of fight in his tavern, but started one. He had injured several patron and killed one of them in the tavern brawl

Case 4:
Boom Lucky. Katta Female.
She was caught selling Deepweed on the streets.
Deepweed: Made from dried weed from deep water seaweed. Induced high and enhanced magical concentration by smoking it. Withdrawal includes becoming bad tempered, unable to focus without the drug and possible sudden death.

Alphonsus remembered seeing Hosea and Tigera names on the Cadre’s Notebook. If he were to refer, Hosea’s name was on the eight page and Tigera’s name was on the fifth page.
Old September 13, 2017, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

"Serale Inspector Freddy. Have a good rest and I will see to it everything is done properly." Alphonsus informed.

He acknowledge Constable David's word and dismissed him with a smile. "Alright. I will call them up if needed. Thanks."

It was time to work again.

Alphonsus had took some time to study the notebook and make a point to remember all the names in the 5th and 11th page. He even made a copy of all those names in his personal diary, but spread across a few pages to make it look normal. Tigera Volnus name popped out as one of those remembered name and he thought he had seen the name Hosea Roveri before. Making sure there was no one around, he flipped through his diary and did not see Hosea anywhere. That was good news... Time to settle the cases.

John Andrews was a first time offender that have no gotten away with the loot. If he had stolen from an ordinary citizen house and not a merchant, likely he would be in the stocks without referring to him. Alphonsus shrugged and wrote. Send to the stock for 5 candlemarks. This was nothing serious and he signed off.

Hosea Roveri was a relative of the prefect. No wonder the constables would not dare put in straight to the stock and he guessed that was the reason why his name was so familiar.. Alphonsus was not stupid enough to throw the man into a stock neither. "Refer to the Prefect." It was up to the prefect's job to show an example.

Boom Lucky was a common drug dealer and was well within his job scope to sentence her. 1 month in jail and confiscate everything He decided it was the best sentencing at the moment. He did not want to use the whip, yet.

Tigera Volnus was the tricky one. He had started a tavern brawl in his own tavern. He could have hand waived it away, but he had killed someone. He decided to speak with this Tigera first.

He went over to the door and asked the constable outside. "Bring me Tigera Volnus"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Injured Hand. Slow post
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Luminary

Tigera appeared bound in manacles with three constables. The constables chained him to the chair opposite the table and saluted. “Here’s Tigera. He is quite violent. Do you want me to stay here?”

Tigera turned out to be a middle aged man that was once very strong in his youth. His arms and chest were quite large, but his belly was larger. He looked at Alphonsus and a small smile appeared on his face. He stopped struggling and leaned back on the chair.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Tigera recognized who Alphonsus was and that was a good thing. There was proof enough to know this man was part of the Cadre. He looked at the constables and waved them off. "Don't worry. Go back to your work."

Once they were alone, Alphonsus stood up and started pacing opposite the table.

"Tigera... Tigera... Tigera... What can we do about you." He muttered just loud enough for the man to hear him. "Brawling, we can close one eye, but murder... How do you want your report to be?"

Alphonsus sat back down and gave an impressive sigh. "You know I must mettle out the punishment. Tell me something about yourself. Why should I be lenient?" The elf was giving a big, not-so-subtle hint that he wanted Tigera to say he was from the Cadre directly.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 13, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old September 14, 2017, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Luminary

Tigera relaxed when he was alone with Alphonsus and watched his ally walking around, trying to intimidate him? He also caught the not so subtle hint. Tigera could not be where he was without some good sense. He was in a bad mood and got really drunk the other day. He had regretted it, but what’s done is done.

“Of course the Cadre know who you are, Alphonsus. I just did not know you are in this part of town.” He said in a soft voice to prevent being overheard. Then in a much louder voice for anyone outside to hear, he continued. “I am really sorry for what happen. Like I said to everyone, I did not kill the man. A fight break out and the man slipped after I dodged his punch. He fell head first into a pile of broken glass. You got to believe me!”

That was as close to the truth as possible. The victim did tried to attack Tigera. The victim did missed the attack, but he did not fell. Tigera was enraged at that moment and slammed the man’s head into a pile of glass bottles a few times. It was plain unlucky that one of the shards pierced through the victim’s eyes and into his brain.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus heard the word he was looking for. Tigera Volnus was indeed a protected member of the Cadre, not only that, he was in the know. That meant Tigera might be in one of the higher echelon. That was onehow idea many names are protected? down.

"Play nice for now. Violent behaviour would not be useful at this point." Alphonsus warned.

"Contables! Please bring him out" He called to the constable waiting outside the door. "Bring me all the reports for this case. In any case, call the witnesses in. I wish to talk to them too"

If the witnesses were not in the area, he would read the reports, then heading out to the scene of the crime and see what he could piece together personally.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old September 14, 2017, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Luminary

Tigera was brought back into the cells. The witnesses were not around and needed to be called in. A constable handed Alphonsus the report.

The three witnesses agreed that Tigera had initiated a fight with another man and he started hitting anyone that tried to stop the fight. Only one witness (the one that Tigera attacked first) claimed Tigera had killed the victim by bashing in his head.

The autopsy report revealed nothing much of the victim, except he was intoxicated and had a few bruises on his arms and head. The cause of death was a sharp piece of glass piercing through his eyes and into his brain.

The tavern had several broken tables and chairs and around the counter, there was a pool of blood with many sharp bottles there. If Alphonsus were to spent time slowing searching the place, he discovered a hidden compartment containing moonshine.

ooc: Eleven names on page 5 and eight names on page 11
Old September 14, 2017, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

The search of the tavern did not reveal much. When Alphonsus found the hidden compartment, his heart started pumping faster, wondering what could be within. It was just moonshine. That was not illegal.

The reports was interesting. All agreed that Tigera had initiated the fight, but only one had claimed the man killed someone, and that one person had some sort of motive to frame Tigera. Alphonsus could work from there... He just needed to interview the only witness.

"Send in the first witness. The other two can go back, unless they have something to add." Alphonsus informed the constable once he was ready to 'interrogate' the witness.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 14, 2017, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Luminary

The first witness appeared. He was an adult half orc. “I was told to tell you what had happen. Tigera and myself were drinking quite a bit, then we were talking about something when he just threw a punch at me We fought a little when some people tried to break the fight. That was when Tigera became angry and started bashing people. I was able to get out of the tavern safely when I returned, I saw Tigera bashing some patron’s head onto the bar top to kill him.”
Old September 15, 2017, 04:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus knew enough of rule-lawyering to see loop holes he could exploit. He started asking the following questions.

If the witness decided against answering immediately, Alphonsus bang on the table and said with a stern face. "Answer me now." Then he repeated the question.

Once the witness answered his question, he cut off any explanation by the witness and move on to his next question immediately.

"So you had drank quite a bit, am I right?"

"You argued with him, am I right?"

"So you admitted you fought back, am I right?"

"You ran out of the tavern when given the chance, am I right?"

"You have a motive to frame him, AM I RIGHT?"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 15, 2017, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Luminary

ooc: Nice

IC: The witness started very relaxed when he entered and when the first question was asked, he was still relaxed.

To the first question. “Yes. Both of us.” He was rudely interrupted by the second question.

“Look here. As I am saying.” He was interrupted by a bang on the table and the stern talk. His relaxed posture was gone and he stiffened up.

“There is no need.” He was interrupted again with another bang on the table.

He swallowed hard and nodded quickly. His eyes showed terror. “Yes. We argued but.” He was interrupted again.

“Yes, I fought back.” He was actually cringing in his seat a little.

“Yes, I ran out.” His fingers crossed tightly together

“Yes, I have.” He eyes suddenly widened and shook his head. “No! I mean no! I don’t have any motive to frame him.”

If Alphonsus allowed him to blubber on, he continued saying. “I wanted to sneak back and attack Tigera. Then I saw him standing next to a fallen man with a lot of blood. He must have killed him. He must have.”
Old September 15, 2017, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

On the second question, Alphonsus already noticed the other person had already shown signs of fear or was it guilt. Then finally, he broke. The man had not actually seen the kill. That was good for Tigera.

"And you were so adamant that you have seen the kill... Not only that, you have decided to return to attack Tigera and what? Kill him? And what were you arguing about. Nevermind... Constable!" He roared. He wanted to intimidate the witness further, hoping to force the argument out of him.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; September 15, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Luminary

The witness had seen enough of the world to be composed during such interrogations, but his conscious was feeling guilty twice. That was the reason why he had broke so quickly. Alphonsus had guessed it right. He had returned to the tavern in an attempt to kill Tigera, but when he saw another dead man, he had wanted to use the law to kill him instead.

“No. No! I was not going to kill him. I was trying to buy more time for me to repay my loan to him.“ He quickly said when the constable came in.

The constable looked at the broken man and then at Alphonsus. “Should I bring him out? Rivers, one of the other witnesses wants to speak with you.“
Old September 15, 2017, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

"Bring him to Constable David. Turn out he had lied about seeing Tigera killing. His statement was false and you just heard he admitted to owing Tigera money. I take that as a good enough motive to frame Tigera so he would get hanged." Alphonsus informed the constable. "And bring Rivers in. What about the other witness?"

He wondered what news this Rivers would be bringing. He hoped it wasn't more headache.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 16, 2017, 01:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Luminary

Rivers was a wiry young human with red curly hair. He pulled the chair out with his right hand and took a seat.

“My name is Rivers, I am a fishmonger. I was asked if there was anything else I remembered and I did. I will start from the beginning. I was drinking in Tigera’s tavern like I always did in the evening and there was a loud argument that led to a fight. I saw Tigera and someone else fighting and a few people tried to stop them. I hid behind my table to watch the fight. That was what I told because I was knocked out by another brawler from behind. When I was thinking downstairs, I remembered just before being knock out, the one who died was rushing at Tigera from the back and Tigera pushed him after he charged passed. Then I got knock out.” He said earnestly.

Alphonsus could easily sense that Rivers was an honest man. Rivers’ friend had classified him as a lawful stupid person. He would run a mile just to return one copper, if he had overcharged his customer. His wife had limited him to two beers every evening and he stuck to that for more than ten years, even if someone offered him a free third beer. His only vice was being nosy. He like to watch people fighting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: