Old September 9, 2017, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Bolthur is unknown and forgotten
[Medonia] Hard Work

Summer, Era XXIV, Imperos

It had been some time since his fight in Nexus Prime. How long he couldn't be certain. What he knew for sure, though, was that it had been long enough for him to drink away whatever compensation he'd received from fighting in the Colosseum. While Bolthur enjoyed a decent fight, he knew he'd need to find a line of work that was more reliable if he hoped to remain in coin. Armed with the ambition of an empty belly, the giant made his way south.

Bolthur had heard that Medonia had been hit by the Xet in a manner similar to Arakmat. If rumors were true, there was little left of the city. It was bad news for Medonia, but in a sense it was good news for the young giant. Devastation usually meant there was plenty of rubble to clear away, and giants made the process of moving heavy things go much faster. Once the debris was cleared away, though, Bolthur could only hope he would be able to find employment helping to rebuild. Although he didn't have any actual experience with construction or architecture, he had already started down the path of learning the trade from his father. If he were lucky he would land a job fairly quickly . . . and if the gods were truly smiling upon him, there would be at least one tavern remaining in the city.

As the giant neared the remains of Medonia, he could only wonder what Arakmat looked like. Ever since his father had told him to flee from the black fog that engulfed the desert city, Bolthur had never returned. He'd heard reports from others who had fled the fog. Nothing organic had survived. His father had stayed, hoping to fight whatever menace was clearly coming. Seeing the ruins of Medonia confirmed what Bolthur already knew; his father had died in the fog. The giant sighed and checked a massive barrel he carried with him for anything to drink, but his whiskey had run out. He dropped the barrel and reluctantly took a drink from a water-skin before continuing in to the city.
Bolthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is an upstanding Citizen

As an officer of the law, Alphonsus was immediately called upon when the people noticed a giant heading towards Medonia. When the elf arrived at the gate house, he noticed the guards were noticeably nervous. It was no surprise, as a giant might mean bad news for the city. The elf did not think that way, however. He had met with a friendly giant recently in Natura and he got used to someone towering over him.

The people queuing to enter the city parted ways to allow Bolthur to go through and that was when Alphonsus stepped forward with three of the other usual gate guards. "Serale Neighbour!"

He waited for the giant to acknowledge the greetings.

"My name is Alphonsus and it is my pleasure to welcome thee to Medonia! As you would know, we would need thy Imperial Visa and the reason to why you are visiting this city? Visiting a friend, just passing through, chartered a ship to take you elsewhere, looking for a home or maybe you have heard of a new school here looking for performers or other music lovers!" Although he had asked quite formally, the tone of friendliness in his voice was there.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Catching Up
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

Upon reaching the city (if Medonia could actually be called a city these days), Bolthur was greeted by what must have served as the gate guards. An elf greeted him with a friendly tone, despite the nervous reactions the other citizens displayed. Bolthur ignored their reactions; being a giant meant living with a certain level fear and mistrust simply because he was a giant . . . and to be fair, he could understand why. Although he would never publicly admit it, Bolthur wasn't opposed to eating other sentient races. But, that wasn't why he'd come to Medonia.

As soon as Alphonsus greeted him, the giant took a knee in order to make conversation easier. Alphonsus wouldn't have to yell, and Bolthur would be able to hear the elf speaking. Upon mention of his visa, Bolthur produced his documentation for inspection.

"I'm hear because I heard Medonia had been hit by the Xet. I was hoping I could help rebuild the city." Bolthur answered. He thought for a moment about what Alphonsus had said about a school for performers. "I haven't heard of any school, but I'd be interested in learning more about it if I can find work in the city."
Old September 11, 2017, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus smile, took the document and passed it to the official gate guards where they did their checks and records. They returned a few moments later and handed it back with a nod. They looked visibly relief that the giant was not here on a hostile mission.

"Bolthur." Alphonsus said after looking at the visa and returned it to the giant. "There is always work to be found for someone with your strength, but best we find a place to settle you first"

The guards stared at Alphonsus curiously. He winked at them and informed. "I should speak in the ways of the common if the duty of Medonia calls upon me. I wouldst speak to thee in the civilised manner if I am training thee or making thee a singer."

He chuckled and turned back to Bolthur. "Well, should we go? I don't think there is much places that could house a giant, so if you don't mind, you can set up a tent in the garden behind my workplace, the Constabulary." Alphonsus had selected that place to settle the hearts of the people.

"After which, we can talk more. If you are interested in learning how to use music to improve the ability of other the workers and warriors, I could train you. In return, you swear will help me with helping the improvement of Medonia during the duration of the training and not attacking Medonia now and forever." Alphonsus said, then as an after thought he added. "And Natura as well."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 11, 2017, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Bolthur waited patiently for the guards to inspect his visa, knowing full well that everything should be in order. He was a citizen, after all. When they returned, they appeared to be considerably less nervous once they learned that he was simply seeking work. The elf, Alphonsus, gave his visa one last glance before addressing him.

Now they were to get down to business. Alphonsus stated that there was indeed work to be found. However, instead of immediately heading off to make himself useful, the elf suggested that Bolthur find a place that could serve as a suitable shelter first. Alphonsus suggested that he could set up a tent behind the Constabulary. Bolthur nodded an agreement, wondering if that location had been chosen so the guards could keep a close eye on him. It didn't matter; he had no intention of starting any trouble, so if it made the Medonians feel safer to have him lodged near the city's guards he wouldn't complain. Then, the elf mentioned something about speaking to him in different ways. Bolthur shrugged his massive shoulders.

"You can speak to me however you like." Bolthur replied, not quite sure why it mattered. However, Alphonsus had made some statements that had raised questions the giant wished to have answered.

"I've no problem setting up a tent anywhere you see fit. But, I think we need to determine the terms of this agreement first. To begin with, I have no intention of attacking anyone (with the exceptions of self defense or in a sporting event). However, I can't promise I will never attack Medonia (or any other location for that matter), because I do not know what the future holds. Suppose another enemy force takes the city. Would I be bound by my oath not to attack Medonia, or should I break my word in order to fight for her freedom? What I can agree to is that I will seek to rebuild this city. And, for as long as I remain here, I will defend Medonia against any who seek to harm her or her inhabitants." The giant spoke slowly, choosing his words carefully. He didn't want to cause offense, but the elf was asking for a rather broad, open ended promise . . . and Bolthur couldn't in good conscience agree to such terms.
Old September 11, 2017, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

"Sounds fair. If someone attack you, I fully expect you to fight back, but as an advice that I give everyone, try to subdue your attacker if possible." Alphonsus spoke, agreeing to what Bolthur said. "And in the case of attacking the city, I was thinking more in the direction of you turning into a bandit to attack the city for your own personal gains. If Medonia becomes an enemy of the empire, I will be standing by your side to attack it."

If Bolthur agreed, Alphonsus would lead him to the Constabulary. There, the giant would understand why it would be a good place to set up his tent. The constabulary used to be a sturdily built inn before the war, and it had a large empty courtyard behind it.

After Bolthur set up camp, Alphonsus invited the 14 foot giant to sit near one of the Constabulary windows while he ran up to the second floor and open a window. "This will make it easier to talk, don't you think? So... Have you heard about what a spellsinger, or in common term, Bard can do?"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 11, 2017, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

Once he and Alphonsus were able to come to an agreement concerning his stay in the city, Bolthur nodded.

"I've no intention of ever becoming a bandit. I can swear that I'll never attack the city under nefarious circumstances." He stated. And with that, the giant was led to the Constabulary. The building was larger than he had expected. Either Medonia had an extensive problem with crime in the past, or the building had served some other purpose before the Xet invasion. However, the building itself still wasn't large enough to house him. He'd been brought here to make camp in the courtyard. It was large enough that he could set up a tent. Bolthur just hoped nobody mistook it for a traveling circus.

Once he'd gotten a tent set up, the giant spoke to Alphonsus while the elf stood at a second story window. He mentioned that it would be easier to converse that way, and Bolthur nodded. Assuming the elf didn't mind running up and down the stairs frequently, it would make conversation easier for both of them. When Alphonsus mentioned spell-singers, though, Bolthur was confused.

"Bards I've heard of. They usually work at inns and the such, entertaining folks. But what's a spell-singer?" Bolthur asked.
Old September 11, 2017, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legend

oocTraveling Circus. Quite an apt description there

"Yes, those that work at inns can be called bards, but strictly speaking, they are musicians or entertainers" Alphonsus said in a straight tone, hiding his feeling against calling musicians/entertainers as bards. He had nothing against them, but a bard was more than just entertainers.

"Bards are more than that," He resumed his usual cheery tone. "Most people do see bards as professional story teller, verse-maker and music composer, but they are also historian, lore keepers and seeker of knowledge. A spell-singer is... How do I explain it. Look at the tree over there." He pointed at a nearby apple tree.

Alphonsus took out his harp and strummed three sharp notes. Nothing happened. "Just played three notes. See what happens if a spell-singer or a Spell song-user do the same thing" He focused on his vis and empowered his instrument before strumming the same three notes. The first note created a small shockwave that shook some leaves down. The second note blasted some leaves out of the tree. The third note caused a few apples to drop.

He allowed Bolthur to absorb what was happening before continuing. "A spellsinger or song users are very much like mages who uses music to cast spells. While we do not produce flashy displays like sorcerers and elementalist, our songs can have many effects. The more well known uses were to empower allies in combat, create a restful sleep, allow workers to work with more enthusiasm and create general bliss amongst the people. We can only use songs to disrupt magical fields, create a zone of truth or like what I have shown, cause apples to drops from trees." He smiled at the last ability.

Although Alphonsus had implied he did not mind teaching the giant music or Song, he had no intention of forcing it onto him. If the giant wants to learn, he had to ask on his own free will.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 12, 2017, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

As Alphonsus explained and demonstrated the differences between musicians and bards, the giant watched and listened. After watching the demonstration, Bolthur was easily able to see the difference between the terms 'musician' and 'Bard'. The giant knew that magic existed, of course . . . but that was the extent of his knowledge on the subject. Seeing it in practice stirred the curiosity within him.

"What other effects can you produce with this type of magic?" Bolthur asked, already beginning to consider the possible uses for such a skill.

oocSorry for the short post, but I don't want to get ahead of myself here.
Old September 12, 2017, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Legend

oocNot a problem. Some post have to be short

"Most of the effects are subtle... Empowering allies or creating a restful sleep. Example of a famous tune, the Anthem of Aelyria. Played by ordinary musicians, they can inspire certain pride and courage onto soldiers in a battlefield. Played by a Song-user, the uplifting effect is hundredfolds, the soldiers can move noticeably faster as a group and hit much harder. Another famous song, the Melody of Concord. It's a soothing song. When played by a Song-user, angry mobs will calm and people generally wished to speak the truth. In fact, those affected would also gain limited truth-sense for a short period of time." Alphonsus explained. "It is said the most powerful Song-user can cause a novice archer to become an expert and plain metal beams to break through the toughest armor."

Alphonsus knew how to play the last two songs of course, but he didn't want to overload the giant too much at the moment.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 12, 2017, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Citizen

As Bolthur listened to the further explanation given by Alphonsus, he reflected on the possible uses of such a skill. However, he was still wary about things of arcane nature. Having no experience with any type of magic, the giant was reluctant to make a hasty decision about learning how to use some form of magic. He was intrigued, though.

After a few moments of reflection, Bolthur said, "I'm certainly interested in learning more about this magic, but I'm not ready to commit to any sort of instruction just yet; I think I would need to see it in action and learn more about it before I could decide whether or not to try to learn such a skill." He paused for a moment, choosing his next words. "I've got an idea that I think will be beneficial for both of us, though. You said that there is plenty of work to be done in order to rebuild Medonia. I propose that I work here for the next two weeks during the hours of sunlight. In the evenings, if you're willing, you can teach me about Song . . . how it works, what it does . . . maybe even show me examples of how it can be used in different circumstances. After those two weeks, I'll decide whether or not I'd like to learn this magic."

It seemed logical. Surely nobody could expect Bolthur to leap at the chance of learning something he had only just seen for the first time. He hoped that the elf would understand his cautious nature, but in truth it didn't really matter whether he understood it or not. The giant wouldn't be rushed into making such decisions without careful consideration. Next, they had to discuss such things as payment.

"Next, I'd like to discuss the unpleasant topic of payment. As much as I'd love to help Medonia out of the kindness of my heart, I can't eat good intentions. What I propose, is simple. For the next two weeks, I will work for the city. All I ask for compensation is food. Any wages I would have earned during this time will be held in my name at the school should I choose to learn Song. In this way, I feel like this arrangement will be mutually beneficial to Medonia and myself. After the two weeks have concluded, we can renegotiate these terms if need be." Bolthur said, hoping that an agreeable arrangement could be made.
Old September 13, 2017, 12:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Bolthur was even more intelligent of a giant than Jen, who Alphonsus considered as quite learned. Jen could not string together any words with two or more syllabus. The elf was pleased at this giant.

Alphonsus nodded to show his understanding. "While it is very possible that I show you how Songs works, and possibly teach you the correct notes and pitching without unbinding you, but it would be just ordinary music. Take heed though, once I unbind you, you cannot learn any other type of magic."

If Bolthur was still agreeable to see how Songs works, Alphonsus continued. "I can bring you around for two cyclesweeks, showing you what I do and how you could help the city. My time is usually divided into working in the constabulary, taking care of my school, and hunting for food. I see if we can find a construction team who could look pass the fact you are a giant." He smiled wanely at the last part, hoping Bolthur would understand. Many people were afraid of giants.

"Payment wise, I can provide the food for your service to me..." Alphonsus said tentatively, thinking how much the other giant ate. If it was any gauge, he guessed Bolthur was going to eat just as much or more. "... and any crowns you earned can be held in trust by the school first. Just hope you understand the food won't be really fantastic."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 15, 2017, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Citizen

When Alphonsus mentioned the unbinding process, Bolthur didn't quite understand what the elf was talking about. Having had no experience with magic before, the term 'unbinding' meant relatively little to the giant. However, this was quickly rectified when Alphonsus stated that Bolthur would be unable to learn any other form of magic if he learned Song. He nodded slowly, reflecting on that point.

"It seems it's a good thing that I'm not making any hasty decisions, then. Are there other magic-users in the city? Before I commit to learning any form of magic, I think it would be wise if I knew what the other types can do as well." Bolthur stated. While it appeared that the giant may have been having second thoughts about learning Song, the truth was that he was proceeding very cautiously in order to make sure he was making the choice that would best suit his lifestyle.

With the topic turning once again to more business related aspects, Bolthur nodded at the remarks made.

"If it takes any length of time to find a construction company to hire me, is there any rubble or debris that I can clear away in the meantime? I don't want to eat for free . . . even if it isn't the best food in the world."
Old September 15, 2017, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend

"Honestly speaking, I can't tell you if there are other magic users. If you like, I can tell you their general effects." Alphonsus informed. He would be saddened if he couldn't take on his first giant student, but the elf had a mentor mindset on him. He wanted the best for all those who approached him.

"Basically, there are two forms of magic. Essence base and Meta-physical based. Essence base are the commons ones we hear. Sorcery to gain the mastery over destruction and teleportation. Elementalism to use the fire, earth, water and air for your own purpose. Mysticism to create illusion and other mental abilities. Thaumaturgy for healing and defence. Druidism for nature like effects. I heard you can learn two or three type of essence magic at a cost, but such mages are often treated as abominations." Alphonsus had purposefully skipped necromancy. He was not personally against necromancer, but he wished that people would leave the dead alone.

"Meta-physical are lesser known and significantly more rare. Ikonomancy is the study of runes for magical effects. Spellbreaking to counterspell and repair damage caused by spells. Shamanism, I don't even know what it does, but they said a shaman is chosen by fate. Last, but not least, Song, which is most famous for buffing allies or hindering their enemies." Again, Alphonsus had purposefully skipped adjuration.

He allowed Bolthur to absorb what he had said.

Onwards to the business side, Alphonsus agreed with Bolthur's thinking. One should always work for their food. "It is going to take time to find one. I might be able to introduce you to certain people, lumberjacks, people in charge of clearing damage roads or fixing roads and other such people. In the mean time, I could find some things you could do for me while showing you around town."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old September 18, 2017, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Citizen

Listening to the explanations given to the various types of magic, Bolthur just nodded his massive head. He would have to ponder the uses and benefits of the various types of magic before making a decision. Sorcery sounded particularly interesting with its destructive capabilities, but Bolthur wanted to build things rather than tear them down. Thaumaturgy sounded like it would be something worth learning as well, except Bolthur knew that he was unlikely to attempt becoming a healer. Besides, who would allow a giant to heal them?

"I think that sounds good. I can be a general laborer until you're able to find a company willing to work with me. In the meantime, I suppose I should expect our music lessons to begin towards the end of the brightening, right?" Bolthur asked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: