Old August 12, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice Ward is an upstanding Citizen
[Medonia] Fourth Stop: Medonia

Mid Ioannes Era XXIV

In her usual attire consisting of a black threadbare dress with a black sash tied across her waist, Alice passed through the gates of Medonia. She spent many moons traveling through the countryside alone, contemplating what she had learnt from the dark city of Vortex.

The wrecked city of Medonia, a city torn apart in the recent invasion. A messy city, a broken city, a city of many opportunity. A smile entered her face when she saw the extend of the invasion. With such destruction, it meant plenty of death and death meant spirits she could charm information out of. Information, regardless of creed, cities or castles, was the key to power.

Alice had heard that the thieves guild ruled the trading scene here and she was comfortable with the ideas of dealing with thieves. If she could find convince the thieves to work with her, she could become a information broker, one who discover secrets and receiving payment in return for every successful deal.

There was another think the Abjurator could do here. A city like Medonia was sure to have people seeking to converse with their late loved one. She kept an open ear for anyone in need of a spirit. Her mouth, she kept shut as she was unsure if this city was open to the art of Abjuration. When she noticed anyone who she thought needed her service she would go forward and ask them, but even then, her manner of question was quite ambiguous. A probing question that may lead to further opportunities.

Alice walked down the messy streets of Medonia, humming a cheerful tune. If only the people knew the words to this tune..
Old August 12, 2017, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is an upstanding Citizen

Alphonsus had a busy Ioannes and it was barely halfway through. He was helping someone he just met to deliver some goods and they were ambushed by bandits. He was part of a ship wreck recovery crew. It was an exciting first half and the elf wished the excitement would continue for the rest of Ioannes. A boring life meant an uninspired bard.

His ears soon picked up a tune. A tune he had never hear before. That was a surprise. He was a trained bard who knew songs that most people had not even heard about and here, he was hearing a simple tune, an unknown tune.

He looked around and soon discovered a girl near the gates, a girl too young to be traveling alone, but one must to judge. The girl might be, in the terms of another middle-aged lady he knew, well maintained.

"Serale." Alphonsus greeted. "Interesting tune thou art is humming. My name is Alphonsus. So what brings thee to this fine city?"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Catching Up
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard

Last edited by Alphonsus; August 13, 2017 at 05:16 AM.
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

An elf greeted her barely moments after she had cleared the gates and he didn’t look like any sort of official or the town crier. There were only two other people who would recognised her as a new comer and introduce himself that fast. The town drunk, which the elf didn’t fit the profile or a thief.

”Serale. Alice, Alice Ward.” Alice introduced herself. ” It is just an old tune I learnt from my hometown. I heard there is a market for people with my skill. People often find the wish speak to their recently deceased loved one, but we all knew it is not really possible. I am good at consoling these people and allow them to recover better. Anyway, what do you do around this parts?”

She hope the elf was a thief or someone who needed her expertise.

Last edited by Alice Ward; August 19, 2017 at 08:40 PM.
Alice Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Legend

”An old tune from thy hometown?“ The elf scratched his chin. He guessed that was the reason why he had not heard this tune before. Very likely, it was a tune native only to Alice's village. "Ahhhh... I see. Mayhaps if we have the time, I could persuade thee to teach me the words."

Alphonsus gave the young human an indulgent smile. He knew about abjuration from both his learnings and personal experiences. Spirits and ghosts were as real as elves and dwarves. He decided to forgo his duty to teach the young this time. It was always better for a youngling to stay naive about such things for a few more eras.

"Thou art good at helping people recover from their grief? I am sure many wold benefit from thy expertise. Many had lost at least one of their loved ones in the recent eras." He said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"As for myself? I have lost contact with the world for quite a few eras and recently decided to become a traveler again. I have only been here for a few cycles, helping the people here as much as possible." Alphonsus replied honestly. There was no reason to hide. "There is only so little one could actually do, especially with all the troubles around here."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 19, 2017, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice felt saddened by the news that the elf was no more than a passerby in this city. Someone who was just trying to regain contact with the world. She was envious of the elven kind for their long live. They could spend several decades in deep study and return to the world without actually aging. If she tried to study for just ten eras, she might become too old to actually travel.

”I will be happy to teach you the tune. It’s very simple. The words are even easier. Just fit any lyrics you think would fit the tune.” She chirped brightly and started humming the happy tune for the elf.

”Troubles? What sort of troubles? Maybe we can do something about it.” She asked eagerly, emphasising on the word ‘we’. Trouble were always good. Spirits, thieves and money were attracted to trouble. She had emphasised on the word ‘we’ to test the elf. Was the elf the type that ran off or was he the type that went looking for trouble as well. If it was the latter, she would not say no to extra help.
Old August 19, 2017, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

"Then i should thank thee first, for offering to teach me the tune." Alphonsus said and listened to the tune. It did not take long before the elf caught on to the tune. It was simple enough, but adding words to it would take some time.

A smile appeared on the elf's face, after hearing the young human's enthusiasm. He did not missed out the emphasis either. "In Medonia, there are all sort of troubles. Illness, missing people, theft and the likes. I am always listening out for troubles and aid these people if it was within my ability to. We could ask around or just keep our eyes and ears open."

He paused and looked at the young girl. "Have thee a place to stay? I would like to invite thee to where I'm staying. A place meant as a bard school and a general training school. We have rooms for trainers and our trainees. Currently, we do have a spare room or two."

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 19, 2017, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice understood what Alphonsus meant. She had came to this town because of it’s trouble filled reputation. She was about to reply at the pause when she noticed the elf was checking her out and almost immediately, an invitation to stay at his place. She maintained her smile and slowly reached for her twin blades hidden behind her back sash.

It might be fortunate she had not decided to lash out at what she thought was, a lecherous elf. This elf was running a training school and was just inviting her to stay there. Her hand continued to her back and pretended that she had moved her hand slowly behind because she had an itch in her back. ”I am actually looking for a place to stay. I could pay you for the room.”

Alice decided it was better to offer payment for the room, in case the elf thought he could take payment in other forms.
Old August 19, 2017, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus did not reject her offer of payment as he needed some income to maintain the house anyway. He did not, however, charge a very high price. "Payment for the room would be good. Why not this, I will charge you this per brightening first. We will be providing two meals as well." The price was well comparable to a room in a below-average inn plus the cost of simple meal. "If you like to offer more, or think you can get a better price elsewhere, feel free to let me know."

Alphonsus knew there was no where in Medonia, or in fact, anywhere in the Empire that she could get such a price for the room she was about to stay in.

If she followed him, they would soon arrive in front of a grand house. The house was one that had the look of one that someone of some renown would be able to afford. The wrought iron gates would open up to a short, cobbled pathway that was wide enough for two carriages to pass side by side. The pathway led to a set of wide, marble steps, with carved stone images of a nightingale either side. The steps would lead to a pair of oak doors. The building itself was reasonably large from the front, with seven windows on the ground floor, and eight windows on the first floor. How far the building went back was not discernible from the viewpoint of the gate. When the bell was rang, out stepped a tower of a male, with an ashen grey looking skin, greying hair, but extremely well dressed.

From the looks of things the male, human in looks, was at least seven feet tall. He walked with a purpose down the cobbled pathway, polished black shoes making loud steps as he approached the gates. "Alphonsus. And you brought a guest." He said, but did not open the gate.

"Yes Terence, it's me and I brought a guest to stay for the darkening or maybe more. Please do open the gates and do you have any news for me?" Alphonsus asked.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 19, 2017, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa

News? No news to report, it seemed. For now, everything was under control and as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing particularly special to report.

Plenty of extra rooms were available for Alice to stay in, so that wasn't going to be a problem, at least.
Sliucha Sindosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2017, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice agreed to the price and they were on their way. As Alphonsus said, she could always negotiate for a lower price if she felt it was possible. Upon seeing the house, she did not think lowering the price was possible.

”This is the school?” Alice asked in awe. ”I was just expecting a small building with a few rooms and a training area.”

”I am not paying extra beyond the price we agreed. I can’t afford more.” She added quickly.
Old August 20, 2017, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus acknowledged what Terence had said and waited for the gates to open up. "Thank you Terence. Likely I will be heading out again soon. Do let me know if anything happened between then."

In the meantime, he turned to Alice and chuckled. ”Don’t worry my friend. Thou art look like one who require a little help, but still have the heart to help other troubled ones. Thou art can contribute to the house in other manner, if it is thy want.”

The door opened and Alphonsus led the young girl through a reception room, a series of steps, a long corridor, more stairs, through the Concert Hall and ended up in front of a decorated locked door. The elf had chosen the room opposite of his.

”It is still too early for dinner. Do wash up, put away anything you don’t need and knock at my door when you are ready.” He nodded at Alice and handed her a key. He went over to his own room, unlocked the door and entered. ”See you in a candlemark?“

OOC: Bedroom description.
Secrets :
The room was something to behold. A four poster queen sized bed was in the centre of the room, a couple of floor standing candle holders at each corner. Beside the bed were a several of bookshelves with many literature classics were amongst some more recent works, including some scores of various musical works. The window drapes had been closed, the same red with gold embroidery adorning the area.

There was a writing desk, and chair on one side of the room, and on the other a dressing table, a large mirror perched in the centre. In the corner of the room was a porcelain bowl, with two pitchers of cool clear water.

An empty cupboard stood at one wall, waiting for anyone to use.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 20, 2017, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa Sliucha Sindosa

Before Alice could respond, the door to Alphonsus' room suddenly slammed shut. Unfortunately, he'd been in the middle of walking through the doorway to enter his room, which meant that he was rather roughly slammed by the door, although this did prevent the door from actually closing. Instead, it simply bounced off his body.

That had hurt. There was no serious damage or anything, but it did sting quite a bit, and he had probably looked a little silly in front of Alice.
Old August 20, 2017, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Legend

Alphonsus staggered backwards. "Ouch." He said, rubbing his nose. The elf looked at Alice's sheepishly when a thought hit him hard, metaphorically. Doors do not slam on their owner without a reason!

He stared at the offending door for a moment and drew out his longknife. He shove hard at the door and held his blade at the ready for any attacks.

"Hello? Anyone inside?" He called out. This time, he thought himself to be rather foolish. It could just be the wind or a servant cleaning his room. It might also be something else. He guessed it was better to be safe than sorry.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 20, 2017, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Adventurer

Alice couldn’t help, but laugh at the comical sight. A grown elf getting attacked by his own door and had took a weapon out to fight back. She was at the receiving end of a few door slams, usually caused by one of her many siblings.

”Don’t kill the door.” Alice laughed. ”See you in a candlemark then.”

She took a curious look into Alphonsus’ room. If there was nothing of interest, she unlocked her own door and open it carefully, just in case she was at the receiving end of a door slam.
Old August 20, 2017, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aelyrian Addict

Alphonsus called out, but there was no response from within. If he tried to nudge the door open once more there would be no issues, and he could see that there was nothing out of the ordinary within his room.

Alice tried her door. There was no slamming shut in her face, though, if only because she could not get it open. She could try the key but it seemed to simply get stuck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: