Go Back   Aelyria > Games > Telath > The Aelyrian Empire > Refuge of Medonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old August 8, 2017, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

[Medonia] Gadgets: Learning to make some (Daffydd)

The Month: Early Imperos
The Season: Summer
The Era: XXIV Post Fractum

It was a rainy brightening in Summer, a temporary heat relief for many people in Medonia, but it was a bummer for Alphonsus. He knew well enough that the rain was going to be a short one and after the rain stop, it would be hotter than the planes of Jorel.

Alphonsus had placed all his things on the table and had been staring at them for the past 2 candlemarks. A harp. A longknife. A dagger. A special music box. A crossbow. Other mundane things like food, mirrors and waterskin. The pitter-patter of the rain continued on.

Everything on the table, even the table itself was not a natural creation. It was created by the hands of someone. The elf tilted his head up to look at the ceiling, a sudden thought had invaded his mind. Who first thought of making a table, harp, a dagger, a music box, or a crossbow? What inspired them? He guessed tables, harps and weapons were not difficult to inspire. There were naturally occurring table, natural sharp objects that could become knives and someone accidentally strummed on some tight vines. Nature invented them and men just came in and changed them. It was the music box, the crossbow and the boom-sticksflintlock he heard during the war that intrigued the elf. What was the inspiration?

Alphonsus knew his way around wood, metal and strings. He knew how to make musical instruments and even spent time learning about carpentry. He knew he could make a table or a chair if he had to do it. He might even be able to craft a crossbow. He picked up his crossbow and looked at it. Yes. He could do it. It was the music box, the boom-stick and something he always wanted, a repeater crossbow that he couldn't make. They were also made of wood and metal, but he had no idea where to start.

As the rain let up, Alphonsus smiled and declared in his native tongue. "Rot'i, Amin sinta mani amin naa goien um- a're!"

Rot'i I know what i am going to do today!

'Oh right'' Alphonsus thought. Rot'i his faerie companion was still in Natura.

He quickly packed his things, got dressed and headed to the streets of Medonia. The best was to find someone who could teach him on how to make gadgets. It might be difficult in a war-torn city. The next best thing was to look for damaged objects with springs and other oddities. Hopefully, he could glimpse some insight from them.

One way or another, Alphonsus was on the path to inventions!

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Caught Up, Hopefully
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Icefyre is a malevolent Minion

The gnome was going about his usual business. He had been back and forth through some of the side streets at the back, more deserted streets of the city. There were derelict buildings that he wanted to roam through this brightening. The rain had left a sort of interesting smell of decay, dust, and wet wood, which pervaded the streets. The gnome moved as quickly as he could looking for things of interest. There were bound to be big nob things that he could look to fix, or to take apart, to use to fix other things. He was a busy gnome after all, and the candlemarks would not stop to wait for him to sit and smoke his pipe, that would be for laters.

The gnome walked through a couple of houses, and into adjacent streets. He was busy.

As he came out of one building he nearly bumped into one big nob. He looked up to see someone looking down on him.

"Serale big nob. What doing are you?"

Daffydd / Shhhush!!! It's secret
Posting rate: Look Here for information on my threads and postings
I'm supposed to be the bad guy-Red Rep please
Icefyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus walked out of his room, deep in thoughts, wondering where he could find what he wanted. He was so deep in his world that he didn't notice an incoming gnome! His elven eyes caught something in his path and he stopped just in time to prevent hitting or being hit by a gnome.

"Oh Serale my fae friend!" Alphonsus greeted with a grin of mirth. He had just heard a joke that gnomes were not really 'human' as they were born of rock and the same gnome could become the father of a child and a mother of another, thus they could be cooked in garlic and would taste delicious. He quickly brushed away his cannibalistic thoughts and continued. "I was actually thinking where in Medonia could I locat a master Gadgeteer and Carmelya sent thee into my path. What a fortunate brightening!"

The elf hoped the gnome was not a mystic and read his thoughts about gnome in garlic sauce. That would be bad.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Last edited by Alphonsus; August 10, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old August 10, 2017, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Champion

The gnome was no mystic, which was lucky for the Bard, as he would not have been happy to know that he was being thought of as a meal. But as it was the gnome listened to the Bard explain his situation.

"Master Gadgeteer? I haven't been called that before. Owned a shop here I did, but then "Boom", and gone. I make new place now. Looking to start again. Need to find things to help with the shop, and things to do. You wanna help? Why you look for master big nob?"

Old August 10, 2017, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus listened and nodded sympathetically. The war had destroyed a lot of Medonia.

"I could help thee. I have nothing to do this brightening and a wasted brightening was something I could never get back." The elf said with a smile. "As to why I am looking for a gadgeteer is because I wish to learn. I know the basics to carpentry. I understand how to craft fur, strings, wood and metal into instruments. I just couldn't comprehend how a music box is created, a crossbow is made and more. All those springs and those rounded things with teeth."

He looked at the gnome and his eyes suddenly widened. He had not asked for the gnome's name yet. "Oh yes. I'm Alphonsus, at your service. How do I address thee?" He introduced himself.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 11, 2017, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Champion

"I am Leddnub. Pleased to meet you big nob Alphonsus. Led people call me so Al I call you. Make and learn you want then? That seems ok. Help you can, as ai look for things. You come help look then we go my new place. If you help I will teach how things work so you learn. Come, come. We go find things"

For a little one he had a turn of speed to his movement that would mean that Alphonsus would need to walk at a fast pace.

They set off into the city, doth looking for things. Alphonsus most probably would not know what they were looking for at first, but soon it would become apparent that they were looking for things the gnome found interesting. He would show Alphonsus when he found something that he wanted to look at, or pickup. So by the time they had spent a candlemark, or maybe two both would be carrying a number of items. Some looked to be just junk, but others looked to be interesting from the point of view that they might hold lots of interesting things.

The gnome suddenly stopped being so eager to look around. "So we go to my new place now.

The gnome, even laden with all these objects, some nearly as big as he was, still kept up the fast pace. The new home of this gnome was a building just off one of the main streets in the city. It looked like the shop was not ready just yet for business, but it also looked like, with a few more candlemarks the place would be a store that the gnome could start to use. The gnome put all his things down and then motioned for Alphonsus to do the same, then he motioned for Alphonsus to follow him through to the workshop out the back. This was where the real work was being done. There were a couple of benches and a table along one wall, there was a chest of draws, and a bookcase on the opposite wall of the doorway they had just come through. Next to the book case was a door to the back yard. Against the right and wall were some shelves with all manner of things that looked to be work in progress.

"first things first! Tea! Tell me what you know of things that turn. You know what a cog is?"

Old August 11, 2017, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

"Alright then. Led, thou would be and Al, I would be. Let's us look for things and see what we could do and learn!" Alphonsus declared with a big grin on his elven face.

The elf pride himself to be a fast walker, but this short stuff was even faster. He found himself stretching his legs further than usual.

At the end of a candlemark or two, Alphonsus had learnt what the gnome wanted and had amassed quite a bit of... junk. He was picking up something that looked like a small metallic fishing net when Led called for a stop. The elf looked up, showed the gnome what he found as he nodded in agreement. "Sure thing. Lead the way!"

The new house the gnome spoke of, was really messy. It reminded him of Gel, the instrument maker's workshop. Everything looked like junk and a mess, but it was really unfinished instruments. He guessed it was the same here.

"Tea would be nice!" Alphonsus agreed, and his mind began to retrieve knowledges learnt. A cork is some thing that seal a wine bottle, but that did not actually turn. A cock is something that wake him up every morning with their noisy cockle-doings, and it turned. He doubt Led was referring to any animal. Then the light of understanding entered the elf's eyes. "A cog! Yes. That's the word I was looking for. A circular thing with teeth. When a few connect together, turning one will turn all the others."

That was about all he knew. He knew cogs were used to music boxes, mills and waterhouses, and they turned one another, but how they actually worked, it was beyond the elf's understanding.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 14, 2017, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Champion

Led went to his kitchen just through another doorway, and returned with a kettle. He placed it on top of a tripod. The tripod was put over a small dish, in which were some small coals, the gnome produced a tool that he was able to rotate a metal round part, and a number of sparks came from the end! With this tool he lit some kindling, and moved coals onto it, they must have been soaked in some oil for they immediately took to flame and then lowered to burning and giving of enough heat to get the kettle to boil. After a while the water was ready.

Led used the water, put it into a teapot, added the tea leaves, letting them brew before using a strainer, the tea was poured into two mugs. Led gave one to Al, the other he sipped himself.

"Yes cogs! teeth, Things turn! Think now! If two cogs lined up are, if you turn clockwise one, which way turn the other?"

Old August 14, 2017, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus watched Led prepared tea while he thought of the question. A cog turn clockwise, the other would obviously turn clockwise. He was about to answer when he suddenly thought something was wrong there. The cogs teeth were locked to each other. They can't be turning in the same direction.

"When one turn clockwise, the other turn anti-clockwise!" Alphonsus finally said after thinking things though. "Would that mean the third cog would turn clockwise, fourth anti, and so on?"

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 15, 2017, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Champion

Leddnub smiled, his methods of teaching were to allow the person to find out for themselves if it were possible, for the lessons would be secured in the brain by doing things themselves, rather than him just talking.

"You are right, with each cog add, there a change in direction is. So remember this 'every odd cog = same direction, even cog opposite!' . The gnome smiled, for the first lesson had been learned.

"Now the. Cogs are movement changers, and movement can have another element. That of work! Now if we one large cog have that has, let's easy make things, twenty teeth, and a second cog ten teeth has. How many times turn does the ten teeth cog for a turn of big cog? "

The gnome took another drink from his mug.

Old August 15, 2017, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus mentally fist pumped at his correct answer.

The next question posed was thought in Schola, but he remembered it to be one of the trickier questions. He thought for a while. Basic logic dictates when one made one turn, another should also make one turn, but this was gadgeteering, something that defied basic logic. He wondered if the big one turned once, would the smaller one turn a hundred times. How could he guess. Then it hit him. One had twenty teeth, the small one had ten.

"Twice." He said. "If the big one with twenty teeth turn once, the small one with ten teeth will turn twice."

It was not about the size. It was about the number of teeth!

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 16, 2017, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Champion

Led smiled as he took another sip of his tea.

"ahh, a brain you have! Good this is. Cogs are good for use in making things move. We change directions can and change number of turns moves something will. Means we speed up, or slow down with number of teeth, and size.

Led jumped of his seat and went to a shelf, picked up an object, and brought it back. It seemed to be something to be used for looking through. It seemed to be made from three sections that slotted inside each other.

"This here is a normal spy glass, but Broken it is and Need to make better. You help do this?

Old August 16, 2017, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

A spyglass. Alphonsus accepted the object and looked at it in all direction. There were three sections, each with a slot. He remembered his journeys at sea. The captains used spyglasses and he had used it several times before, with the permission of the captain. He looked through it and there was no changes.

Broken, Led had said. The aspiring gadgeteer remembered a spy glass can be pushed closed or pulled open. He gently pulled it or pushed it. If it worked, he would look through it again, just to see no change in sight.

Whether it can be pulled/pushed or not, he suddenly thought of something. The glass were missing. "I think I can help, but I need three pieces of glass about yeh sizes." He pointed to the three different slots.

"Just a question though, I remembered the glass on some of the spyglass I used before were slightly curved. Not sure if all spyglass had curved glass. Is that important." Alphonsus asked.

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Old August 17, 2017, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Champion

Led now knew he had picked a worthy student for the questions, and statements, were all of the right type.

"Right, you are Al. The two glass in a spy glass, a certain shape must be. For what they do, direct the image to your eye to give better sight. Now I have the glass from the spy glass sections, on the shelves there. But we tinker first.

First thing need you will is a way to see small things, make big. The spy glass gives clues? "

With this the little gnome moved from the bench they were both on to the one across the way from this, and put a contraption on his head. It was a band, and attached to this band were a number of ocular devices. Each was on a different thin metal arm that could be used to bring each lens infront of the wearer's eyes. There were differences in the lenses and they could be combined if needed to see really small things.

"One of these need you! We make one together first, and then you must as fix things we will, or eyes will become bad. So on the shelves you will find various glass. Some the right shape, some the wrong, some bigger, and various smaller ones. To make things big you need curve on outside of lens, not going inward! So have a look and three or four select maybe."

Old August 17, 2017, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

Alphonsus went to look at each of the lenses and tried them out. It was weird. Some made the gnome looked gianormous. Another made him look really tiny. One made only the head of the gnome bigger. He smiled at the last one. He selected a few nice pieces of glass that curved on the outside, those that made things bigger. He did select one that made things look smaller and a tinted one. He was not sure if the glass was tinted or it was just dusty. He shrugged and wipe it to check. If it was tinted, he took it along, otherwise, left it behind.

"Here we go, Led. I took one that made things look smaller, not sure if we have any use for that though." Alphonsus said and showed the glasses he selected to the gnome.

S O F | Nature Musicorum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: