Old March 5, 2017, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Genevieve Jolliffe is an upstanding Citizen
[Medonia] Special Delivery

Time Stamp:
Spring Era XXIV

Genie pulled the paper from the confines of her shirt and unfolded it. Her brow furrowed at the man's scrupulous handwriting. Grey eyes looked up at an inn and she shrugged. The man was certainly fond of inns apparently. She had no room to judge. She was currently staying at one. And her home in Jaedaxia was her storefront. Her bed only shielded by a flimsy divider. So if he preferred the confines of shabby inns with dirty bed sheets, Genie would not hold it against him. Such was his right as an independent person.

Her heeled leather boots went to the middle of her calves. She wore black and brown striped leggings. A gray sleeveless shirt was covered by her trusty dusty brown corset. Her merlot colored hair was pulled back into lazy pigtails and topped off by her goggles. She carried with her three brown bags filled with all sorts of wonders; amongst which was a pen that had been commissioned in the winter before she left her home. It had taken some doing, but Genie was certain she finally got it right.

The man had paid for shipping. But given the nature of her gadget, she didn't entirely trust the postal system. And she also thought he might need some instruction on its use. The woman wasn't entirely certain he was all there in the brain department. Their last encounter had been strange.

Genie entered the inn and made her way to the counter. She leaned her elbow on it and smiled at the innkeeper. "Au revoir," she was quite the adept Jaedaxian nowabrightenings, "Could you let Aeyr know that Genevieve is here? Or tell me which room is his? We have some business."
Old March 5, 2017, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Aeyr is an upstanding Citizen
The innkeeper was currently an older woman with gray hair pulled taut in a bun, and her blue eyes were bright when they looked at Genie. Thankfully the woman was not familiar with Jaedaxia's language, and seemed to gloss right over the "au revoir" with nary a second thought. At the mention of Aeyr, however, the woman had to ponder a moment, before an expression of understanding colored her features.

"Oh, that one. I'll let you find him, dear," the woman said, pointing a slim finger down the hall. She seemed none too keen on the business of calling on the man, already familiar with his snarky attitude when his work was interrupted. "Second floor, room number fifteen."

She paused, lifting an eyebrow at Genie before adding dryly, "Good luck with that one." She returned to her work scribbling inside of a book.

Up the stairs and to the right there was a door with a number painted on it, settled in a quiet hall toward the end of the building. Aeyr had specifically requested one that was not sandwiched between two other rooms, because that meant more noise and distractions for him. It was known that Aeyr was not one for distractions.

And so, upon the knock that surely came upon the door, the man paused only a moment before continuing what he was doing. Surely they had learned by now that if he wanted something, he would ask for it. The pause that followed felt well and good until the knock occurred again.

The man sighed. The pen went into the inkwell and his fingers went to his temple, rubbing at the slight bit of gray that had begun to settle there. It'll only take a moment, he tried to assure himself. It was only a matter of time, after all, before everyone who worked here knew just when to come for his bedsheets. Then all would be right in the world.

The young man stood up and trod over to the door, dressed in his usual slacks, vest, and white button-up shirt. A tie was undone but settled beneath his collar, hanging loosely against his chest. A set of spectacles were resting on the bridge of his nose, thin silver wires disappearing into his short brown hair. The bags beneath his eyes had not changed even in the length of time between now and Primus Gaudeo.

The door swung open and the man's mouth opened, expression clearly indicating that he was about to thoroughly tell the arrival off when green eyes widened in surprise. The man froze there, baffled at just what he was seeing, but knowing damn well that there was no one else in the world that looked the way the watch woman did.

"What on Telath are you doing here?" The words came out before he could stop them. Which was... a common problem, he had to admit. But this was more than his brain could handle. "When I gave you my address, I was under the distinct impression that you planned to mail my goods to me. Are you charging me extra for this?"

He eyed her warily, gaze sweeping along the eccentric garb that was impossible to forget. Had he not placed such an importance on personal space, he might have reached out and poked her to make sure she was real. Certainly the nightmares hadn't become so strong that he couldn't tell them apart from reality anymore?
Old March 5, 2017, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

"Yea, he's certainly a strange one," Genie grinned and thanked the innkeeper for the room number and advice.

She made her way up the stairs and to the right and came to his door. She raised her hand to knock and paused, steeling herself for his no doubt rude demeanor. Perhaps the spring had been kinder to him. That didn't mean she wouldn't be on her guard though. The woman drew in a deep breath and set her jaw to where she wouldn't let whatever the first things that came to her head come flying out of her mouth. And she knocked.

Nothing happened, so she knocked again. She didn't want to have to come back and try this again. She also didn't want to shove her invention under the door or leave it with the innkeeper. The innkeeper did seem nice though. Genie looked back down the hall and wondered if maybe she should just leave it with the kindly woman. But then the door opened and those icy words slapped her in the face. Ah good. He was here and he hadn't changed a bit.

The woman cocked her head to the side and smiled at him. "A pleasure to see you again too Mister Aeyr," Strangely, she wasn't lying. She was kind of enjoying this. "Wait until you see it! You'll see why I couldn't trust the postman. He might've stolen it. And then you would have thought I'd swindled you. And no, you aren't being charged extra.

Although, if you would like I can fix those spectacles to where they don't make your face look so mean. I'd do that free of charge."
No mention that the spectacles would be turned into a mask that completely covered his face to save the rest of the world from his severity.

She placed both hands on her hips and stared at him, "Are you going to invite me in? I've gotta show you how it works. I'm not entirely convinced you'll be able to figure it out on your own."
Old March 5, 2017, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

The man's mouth closed at the woman's smile, a flash of confusion lighting the green of his eyes before he stamped it down. He brow creased at her explanation, and then softened at the subsequent intrigue toward her supposed success of his request. His shoulders visibly eased at her assurance that she wouldn't be charging him extra.

As she continued speaking on about his spectacles, the man's head dipped toward her suddenly, his body leaning forward to shoot a look down the hall beyond. His tie lolled in the air a moment. He wasn't sure why he felt the urge to check if anyone else was there - perhaps he was too used to the jests that had been pulled on him during his years in the university. Students were such a thorn in his ass sometimes, and it would seem the habits they had ingrained in him were lingering still.

His head snapped back when he realized what she had said, severe gaze settling back on what seemed too chipper of an expression. "It took me a long while to get these to fit just the way I like them, so I believe I will have to pass."

His lips pursed then, gaze becoming wary as he seemed to appraise her yet again, about to insist that he could determine just fine how a blasted pen might work. Did he look like a dolt to her? Nevermind, he didn't want to know the answer to that question. After a somewhat uncomfortable pause, the man released an internal sigh. He stepped aside, lifting an arm in a stiff gesture of acquiescence. He took a final glance along the hallway before shutting the door behind him.

Inside, the room was almost depressingly tidy. Books and stacks of parchment were settled in fine lines along the tables, and the bed was neatly made. He gestured toward a dresser that held a tray atop it, a pot of tea still hot and fresh with an extra cup placed upside-down beside it.

"Help yourself, if you wish," he muttered, an awkward attempt at peace for the time being, as he hoped she would not make an effort to touch anything else. The thought reminded him of something, and swiftly he maneuvered to a table by the window, which held a picture of a young woman inside a frame. Appearing embarrassed, the man deftly placed it face down.

He cleared his throat, tugging on the tie around his neck and folding it swiftly before settling it on the table, too. He made his way to the chair he had vacated previously, and gestured to the one across from it. He eased into the seat, steepling his fingers as he observed the watch-woman's movements.

"I admit, I expected you to take a longer time of it than this. I trust the work was challenging enough?"

Last edited by Aeyr; March 5, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
Aeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Was he in hiding? He probably should have told the innkeeper as much. That lady had given away his whereabouts rather eagerly. Still, Genie searched up and down the hall with him. Two sets of eyes were better than one in almost all cases. She shrugged at his dismissal of her offer to fix his face. That was probably a good thing. She didn't really want to create a mask with spectacles. Well... actually, now that she mentioned it. It might have some sort of use. Maybe something for farmers to filter the smell of their bovine. She didn't know. The woman did make a mental note to explore that further at some point.

Genie started to shift in the hallway. The man was certainly taking his time in deciding whether or not to be a decent human being. She was half way convinced he'd just shut the door in her face and the mystery would be solved. But then he surprised her and stepped aside, allowing her into his dwelling. Her grey eyes beamed into his with victory as she entered the room.

The next surprise caused her to pause her appraisal of his tidy little room. Her brow furrowed in confusion as she looked at him again. Was there poison in the tea? Warily, she made her way over. If there was poison, she hoped her death would be especially gruesome and completely messy and that her guts would get all over his tidy little room. But tea meant caffeine, and she needed that. So she poured herself some and sipped politely, angling her doomed body towards the bulk of his possessions.

She noticed him hide a picture. She had one of those. The woman understood and decided to not comment or indicate that she'd seen anything. For someone who had just been poisoned, she was incredibly sensitive to her murderer's feelings. Another sip of the tea lingered on her tongue.

The woman took the offered chair and sat, crossing her ankles underneath her. That wasn't exactly comfortable. The woman finished her tea and placed it carefully on the desk. She didn't know why she did that when her bodily fluids were about to be everywhere, but she didn't want to be the cause of the mess. He could hold all that blame on himself. She leaned back in her chair and crossed her ankles on top of the desk, just on the desk not on his diary. This was much more comfortable.

Her frown returned when he said he expected it to take longer. "Listen, I don't know what kind of two-bit inventors you've dealt with in the past, but Genevieve Jolliffe doesn't mess around. You asked for a pen, I'm not going to make you wait forever. And honestly, it was fun. It was a good challenge. Although, I did go through several prototypes and ruined one of my favorite shirts. But it was all in the name of science. I was happy to do it."

Enough bragging though. The pen!

She rummaged in her bag and pulled out the thing. It was the size and shape one might expect a pen to be. Except with a little more girth. Intricate windings and shapes adorned the sides. On one side, in very small lettering was her trademark G3. She twisted it at the middle and a ballpoint emerged from the tip. The woman looked adoringly at her invention with the ink on the inside. "I assumed you wanted black ink," the woman's voice had changed from cheery to almost reverent in the presence of her gadget. She twisted it closed and handed it to the man so he could inspect it.

Secrets :

Old March 5, 2017, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

The man was making careful observations of the woman's face as she sat down and finished her tea. Honestly, he was probably staring - which he didn't seem to realize was quite rude in most situations, green eyes assessing her over the steepled placement of his fingers. That stare was broken when he realized she was putting her feet on his nice clean table, and his stance grew rigid again as his hands fell to the armrests on his chair. He opened his mouth to protest when she responded to his question instead.

That look of confusion returned to his face, one that was becoming embarrassingly common in the watch-woman's presence. His mind was still trying to sort out this talk about ruining her shirt, which led him to recall his ruined pair of pants and how that little mishap had seemed a precursor to his run-in with this strange woman.

All of that was forgotten when she produced the gadget she had brought for him. Attentions suddenly on the pen being turned in her hand, the man silently dismissed his protestations and reached out to take it. His eyes seemed reluctant to leave her, drifting for a moment to the boots on his table, but finally fell to the object that he was now turning in his hands.

He repeated the motions she had shown him, twisting the thing and watching the ballpoint emerge. The typical frown at his brow seemed to ease at seeing it actually working.

"Black ink is fine," he murmured. "Which I assume can be replaced?" Not that he had requested as much, but for her to make new pens each time the ink depleted would not have been very practical for either of them. At least it felt comfortable in his hands, albeit more bulky than the fountain pens, but it was a small sacrifice for something so portable and convenient. Not to mention, it seemed sturdy enough.

"I have to admit, I am impressed." The deadpan of his voice and the unchanging expression seemed to indicate the contrary, but the words were honest regardless. "Do you plan on replicating the invention?"
Old March 5, 2017, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

He was staring at her. Probably trying to discern just how much of the poison she'd ingested. Definitely calculating how much longer she had left to live. Genie would soon cease to exist. She was alone in a city where no one knew who she was. Her family didn't know where she had gone. They would think she'd abandoned them. Aeyr would get away with her murder. Except that he wouldn't because would be determined to haunt him for a very long time. Or at least until she found her dearly departed husband. In the meantime though, her murderer would not rest. Not that it looked like he rested anyway. Genie would have to make sure what meager naps he received were thoroughly interrupted.

Her gaze watched as the stern man fell in love with her gadget. She could tell by the depth of his brow that he was thoroughly entranced. One side of her lips twitched into a grin. At least he liked it. She had taken great care to make sure it was perfect. She didn't want to hear the slew of insults that would no doubt come from the man's mouth in her direction if it had not been successful. Not that she would have heard anything if she'd just sent it by mail. But that was neither here nor there. She couldn't change what she'd already done... yet. That part was coming.

It warmed her heart to hear him say that he was impressed, even if it didn't sound like he meant it. That was his way though; curt, awkward, and very strange. Genie took it as a victory that he deigned to use kind words in her direction. "I might. Though not the same design. I don't like making the same thing over and over. There are always improvements to be made, things that could be done differently," she waved her hand in the air to indicate that the list went on and on.

"That was what I really came to show you," she took her boots from the desk and scooted her seat forward. From within her bag, she pulled three slender ink cartridges. Genie had figured throwing in some free ink to offset the cost of the shipping that she had charged and never actually used would soften the man to the idea of having to endure her presence again. She motioned for him to come closer and hand back the pen. "I can't teach you if you won't let me show you." she spoke patiently as she waited for the man to relinquish control.
Old March 5, 2017, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Citizen

He nodded briefly in understanding of her not wanting to replicate the design completely. There were always ways to improve upon something, to enhance an old design. At least for once she was speaking a language he could understand, and this brought the man's eyes back to her as her boots came off his table.

He eyed the ink cartridges curiously, taking in the particular design and how they might fit in with the contraption that he held. He found himself yearning to take the thing apart just to see how it might tick, but that would have been terribly counterintuitive to either of their goals.

He realized that she was beckoning him, and the man felt himself tense at the need to get any closer to someone than he had to. He was eying her warily again when she asked for the gadget back, but after several moments he released the object back to her and maneuvered his chair closer to the table. He then busied himself with moving some of his work aside, his efforts so deliberate that it might have seemed as though he was stalling for some reason. Eventually he did lean forward, an elbow finding its way to the area he had cleared so that he could rub thoughtfully at his mouth as she gave her instructions.

From behind the spectacles, the man's eyes watched the motions of her hands closely. If anything, he was an attentive student, curious as he was to see how the contraption worked. He was still convinced that he would likely have figured this out on his own, but he did admit to himself that having her show him was probably saving him a great deal of time.

At any rate, it was interesting to see the products of what he had assumed was the woman's scattered brain. If anything, she did a decent enough job of picking up the pieces and putting them together into something cohesive and coherent.
Old March 5, 2017, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

Ahhhh, the awkward pause. Genie was growing quite fond of these tense little moments. It seemed she was getting under his skin just by being herself. It was just the best compliment she could have ever received. Her hand waited and waited for the doodad to be placed in it. When it was finally relinquished and the man finally realized that she wasn't going to bite him, she set to showing him how to replace his ink.

He didn't seem to want to talk anymore. Which was just fine for Genie, because she always had something to say. "I made it super simple for you." "Because I wasn't so sure you'd be able to understand it, otherwise." She flipped a couple of the toggles and the end of the pen popped open. She showed him the inside where the ink cartridge sat amongst a beautiful conglomerate of windings. She pulled it out, a tiny spring was wrapped around the bottom. "It's really important that you don't lose this piece. It's what keeps it in."

She looked into his eyes to make sure he understood. Maybe he needed a demonstration. He seemed bewildered. She removed the spring and placed the ink cartridge back inside. She lifted the pen and the thing fell out from the end where the ballpoint should have stayed securely. "See? Very important." Genie replaced the spring and stuck the cartridge back in, closed the cap, and set the toggles back down. "See? Easy peasy."

Her lopsided grin returned at her own genius as she held the gizmo out to the man. She really hoped he would enjoy it. "Did you want to try?" Doing it a few times under the watchful guise of its creator might have been a good idea. It might be difficult for the man to find the correct toggles. Especially if he hadn't been paying attention and was too busy waiting for her to just die already.
Old March 5, 2017, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

The frown began to return when she insinuated that he needed "simple". But he kept his mouth shut because keeping things as simple as possible was the way things should be done anyway. It was called efficiency. A cursory glance to where he assumed was the wide array of pleats and skirts and whatever else it was made him wonder if she understood that concept. But that was neither here nor there.

He eyed the singular spring that she showed him and wondered why such a critical piece seemed so precarious from inside. His pause as he inspected it was met with a demonstration on what happened should the spring be lost or damaged.

"I understand," he found the need to say, feeling off-put by the way she was looking at him as if somehow he did not.

He took the pen back from her, inwardly intrigued by the manner of its various little mechanisms, although as usual this was hidden beneath a steely visage. He kept his gaze on the pen as he flipped at the toggles she had shown him, finding them relatively easy to find given how simple she had made the thing. It wasn't as if there were a million of them to choose from - or for the right ones to get lost within.

When he did manage to get it open, he took a moment to observe the many pieces that were visible inside of the barrel. He removed the ink cartridge and placed another inside before closing the thing back up again. He twisted it, revealing the ballpoint at the end and then reached out to find a piece of paper.

He tested the pen on the surface. His writing, meticulous as it was, was produced with a swiftness and ease of a man who was accustomed to the motion.

"The cartridges.... I imagine I will need more when they're depleted," he murmured, his eyes still on his efforts of testing the contraption. "Is there a way that I might easily replenish my supply?"
Old March 5, 2017, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Citizen

She watched as he didn't completely ruin her gadget with his hands and smiled. She was a good teacher! Genie smiled at him and nodded. "Not bad at all!" Encouragement was always good for students.

It was around the time that the man asked if there was a way to replenish his supply that she realized she had not been poisoned. So just what was that whole deal with the tea? Was he being nice to her? Was her presence not an affront to himself and all he held dear? Curious.

She gazed at the paper upon which he had written and it was her turn to furrow a brow. "Just how much do you think you'll need? Are you a writer? A poet?" she couldn't think of him as being a poet. He wasn't nearly romantic enough. A writer though, maybe. If he wrote horror stories about creepy men who invited beautiful damsels into their inn rooms only to poison them with tea. She was back on that now apparently.

"I have a store in Jaedaxia," she pulled her own journal out of one of her bags. A pencil appeared from behind her ear. She flipped a few pages. All her sketches and inventions were hidden in this tome. Several pages had been torn out, only to be replaced at a later time. Some had been folded over for future use. She came to a new page and sighed. There was so much potential on this blank canvas. Did she really want to just rip it out and never have the chance to realize its greatest possibility? What if it held the secrets to her greatest inventions?

She looked at the stern man's face and thought no. She didn't want to waste a fresh piece of paper. So she turned to an older worn, page. It had the design for a wind-up cabbit. It was an early design and she didn't really need it anymore. Though it was one of her first and the pang of nostalgia gripped at her heart. There had to be something that she didn't mind parting with in here.

The woman took out the paper that had his address on it from her shirt. She unfolded it and looked at it. But she didn't want to get rid of that either. Genie looked at him again. Now she was the one making an awkward pause. "Feth it all," she cursed and turned to a new page and scribbled her address. With a wince, she ripped it out and gave it to him. She hoped she wouldn't live to regret losing that piece of paper. Hopefully she would still be able to figure everything out without it.

She tucked Aeyr's address deep into the pages in her book and closed it. "Just send for some and I'll send you however many you need," the woman shrugged a little embarrassed at the small amount of crazy she had allowed to seep through her carefully crafted facade of normalcy.
Old March 5, 2017, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

"What?" The man's eyes found hers again finally, and the writing stopped as well. "I... no, I'm a researcher. An alchemist. I take copious amounts of notes. But this..." He looked over his spectacles at the pen in his hand, which he briefly wobbled to and fro. "I would use it out in the field, while I'm taking notes on the go. I can't imagine I will need ink anytime soon. But it will run out eventually?" Again, a solemn look in her direction.

His head lifted back to rights at her mention of Jaedaxia, eyes peering through the spectacles again as her book appeared from nowhere. He frowned at the sad state of its pages, the dog-ears and the wrinkles and whatever other abuse the tome had seen. Not that he hadn't destroyed his fair share of pages from mud and ink and all that. But to see a book in such a state always seemed to pain him.

He watched her with a growing consternation as he wondered what she was going on about with flipping through pages and producing parchment. Finally, as she looked at his address and then back to him, seeming to seek out the paper itself rather than a specific design or set of words, he realized what she was doing. He shifted suddenly, attempting to reach for one of the blank pieces of parchment that he himself had set aside just earlier, when he heard the rip from her book.

He paused halfway through the motion, glancing back just in time to see his address disappear into that large array of pages. He had to admit that he was impressed with how many of them had been used. Noting the pained look on the woman's face, he tentatively he took the paper, eyes skimming the location she had provided him. He had been in Jaedaxia before, its university being one of the most acclaimed ones in Aelyria, and he was familiar with this particular part of town at least. He placed it with the rest of his papers, intent on sorting it away another time.

Her current state of what he might consider 'flustered' had not been lost on the observant man. Her distress at providing her address was starting to bewilder him. He supposed it made sense, given that his own gesture of providing his location had been met with a surprise visit from her. Perhaps she was fearful that she would see his face again. At least that was a fear he had seen in many others, and it was one he understood.

"You need not worry," he ventured uncertainly, leaning back in his chair again. "I imagine I will not find as much time to travel all the way to Jaedaxia anymore. If I call on you, I am sure it will be infrequent enough." His eyes drifted awkwardly to the window, fingers intertwined in front of him with his elbows on the chair. Now that the reason for the woman's visit had been concluded, he found himself unsure as to how to continue. Small talk was not his area of expertise, much less something anyone wanted to partake in with him, and it was usually much easier to tell someone to go when one was already peeved. But the woman had provided him with a useful product, and useful information. And their business relationship was one he would not like to sever, however much of an oddity he found her to be. So it seemed hardly polite to tell her that he was ready for her to leave now.

"Ms. Genevieve, was it?" he finally managed, turning his gaze back to her. "I will be sure to spread word of your work to others." He hesitated, realizing there weren't many people who he would really speak with in general. The offer seemed hardly of use to her.

"Er... thank you," he attempted instead. "For coming to deliver this to me. Did you come all that way... for this?" His eyes flickered to the pen, and then to her again, a hint of incredulity showing through the sternness of his expression.
Old March 5, 2017, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Citizen

His assurance that he wouldn't come visit her often caused the smile to falter on her face. She didn't know why, it just did. Genie didn't have people call on her often. Sure she had customers come in and ask for things from her. But none of them were as fun as Mr. Sunshine on a Cloudy Day. She guessed she would have just liked to be glowered at every once in awhile. "You can visit any time..." it was strange hearing the words come from her mouth, but they'd already ventured forth. There was no way to take them back now... yet...

Thankfully he went on to another subject rather quickly. The matter of thanking her. She was surprised that he remembered her name and didn't call her batty watch woman again. "You can call me Genie, if you'd like. Everyone else does. It's also the name of my shop, Genie's Gadgets and Gizmos." It was the name that she and her husband had always dreamed of calling it. But they'd never had the means to actually bring it to fruition. Her forehead creased a little bit at the memory as she pointed near the top of Aeyr's new pen where the G3 was located. He should be able to discern what it meant after that.

She moved on to his last question. "Yes... I mean no," not talking about gadgets was difficult for the woman. There were all kinds of strange things in the realm of not work that she would rather not talk about. Her hand absently reached into a bag and pulled out a windy toy. This one was a jumping frog. She ran her fingers along the cogs, while she fidgeted it in her hands. Awkward pauses were not particularly interesting, and she found that they weren't the most amount of fun either. Especially when she was the one creating them. That was supposed to Mr. Socially Inept's job.

"It was the main reason, but also I heard there might be some rubble to sift through. Never know what you'll find underneath that stuff." Things were getting really awkward now. Her mind tried to think of an escape. Something had been said earlier that was particularly interesting...

Oh yes! He was an alchemist. That almost explained why he was so weird. "Alchemists and gadgeteers go together like bread and butter. Your goo can make my gizmos do some pretty amazing things. I just started working for an alchemist in Jaedaxia." She didn't really know what else to say about that. The particulars of her job weren't really at her liberty to discuss. She'd probably said too much already, her thoughts returned to poison. But once again, that pesky past is the past thing crept up.

"I was happy to deliver it to you and make sure you knew the importance of that little spring. It wouldn't do for you to be unhappy with your doodad and then spread vicious rumors about how my whatsits don't work."
Old March 6, 2017, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

The man's confusion only deepened when the woman said he could visit any time. He supposed she was trying to assure him, or to be polite... or something. He couldn't even begin to guess at her rapid decline into discomfort. Only moments ago she had been entirely fine with throwing her dirty boots onto his table, as if she had been here many times before. And now... well, it was remarkable how swiftly he could encourage a conversation to devolve. But that was what happened when business turned to... whatever in Aeternia this was. Small talk...?

"Genie." He repeated the name firmly, as if stating a fact, before glancing toward the pen she indicated. At the name of her shop, and at the mark on the pen, a small "Ah" escaped his lips. Yes, it made sense to him now.

He looked up again at her stammer, and at the subsequent silence that enveloped them. He couldn't see what she began to fiddle with, but his brow was lifting in renewed confusion. He found himself somewhat discomfited as well, fingers rubbing idly against one another as they remained intertwined before him. His lips pressed into a thin line and his jaw tensed against the maddening silence of the room.

He nodded gratefully when her explanation finally came, knowing that he had come to Medonia for similar reasons. There was a lot here to discover in the wake of all that happened. He considered what he might say to continue that trail of conversation when she derailed and began to speak about alchemists. He canted his head to the side at her mention of his goo and her gizmos. It sounded like a very poorly strung-together educational segment on the 'hows' of reproduction. If he hadn't looked bewildered before, he was certainly accomplishing that now.

"Are you..." A pause. "...suggesting that you are open to collaboration, Ms. Genie?" The question was a tentative one, as he could not be sure as to where exactly she was going with all this talk of bread and butter. "If so..." He hesitated again, fingers tapping one against the other, wondering exactly what he had planned to say about that. He had collaborated with others, sure, but it was often a relationship born of necessity, and one that few were happy about. Even his work with the glassblower was something very recent and foreign to him. Still, gadgeteers were about as common as alchemists were, especially in these parts, and he had to admit that the possibilities of what might emerge from such a relationship were appealing to him - regardless of how vastly different the two of them seemed to be.

"If so," he finally continued, "then I would be not be opposed to the... consideration."

There. That left things suitably open without the danger of a swift committal. The details of the arrangement could always be explored at a later time, if it was an idea that the watch-woman was truly open to entertaining.

"As for your fear of rumors, rest assured that I have no complaints. Your work has been satisfactory." He had to admit, he was hesitant to believe she trekked all this way for fear of his inability to comprehend the spring. Although he wished to be irate with what he thought might be a lie, something about the excuse seemed almost... endearing, somehow. Good gods, he thought as he resisted the urge to roll his eyes in disgust. Her crazy was threatening to rub off on him.

"So," he said suddenly, stiffening in his chair as his eyes brushed the window again, "I assume you will be rooting about in the rubble then, if you have not done so already. If that is the case, and if you come across anything of particular import - substances, minerals, plants, animals... I would be extremely interested to hear of it. I have been meaning to do some digging myself, but have been busy settling in. I would pay you for any good leads, of course."

It was, after all, her time she would be spending - and his time she would be saving. That was of value to both of them. And if she was not the sort to lead him off to a hole that he could then fall into, perhaps he would be able to discover some unique new ingredients to test and research.
Old March 6, 2017, 06:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Citizen

She nodded, a soft smile returning to her lips, as he very matter-of-factedly said her name. "That's my name, don't wear it out," she didn't say it to him, she just said it because it was something that came into her brain. Sometimes there was so much going on up there that the extra just seemed to burst from her lips. Such were the trials and tribulations of being a genius. A brilliant genius with the imagination to go with it. This was an important distinction to make, even to herself.

"What?" it was her turn to be confused again. Genie wasn't exactly sure what just happened but she soon found herself with a new partner. The world was just full of people that wanted to work with her apparently. She wondered where they all had been hiding for so long. Apparently her exeunt from Primus Gaudeo had been a catalyst for more changes in her life than she would have ever cared to admit. "Sure, careful consideration on one's future endeavors is important. Take your time," she wasn't quite sure what exactly he was considering. But she believed in the sentiment and it seemed appropriate.

She was definitely open for more alchemist friends. The one in Jaedaxia was odd and had called her ridiculous. This one was odd and had called her batty. She supposed that there was some sort of adverse effect of alchemist's goo that caused their brains to see the world in twisted, untrue ways. If Genie could have access to that goo, and make sure that she wasn't the one getting contaminated, the possibilities were endless. She definitely didn't mind having a slew of mad scientists to collaborate with.

"Satisfactory?" her hand clutched at her heart and she grinned at him, "You're going to make me blush if you keep complimenting me like that Mr. Aeyr." She knew her work was better than satisfactory. But with how few pleasantries this guy allowed to fall from his lips, he might as well had just told her she was the best and only inventor on the planet that he would ever trust to make gadgets for him. So it was special in its own weird little way. Genie would take it as another victory.

"Yea, rooting through rubble..." she thought back to the previous brightening where she had found a fork and a very strange woman with some amazing ideas. "I'll definitely keep an eye out for you," she shrugged. It wouldn't be that big of a deal. But why would he pay her for being a good friend? Maybe if she spoke more of their seemingly mutual language- work- she could let him know that... Well she didn't know what specific that he needed to be instructed upon just that the lesson needed to be imparted.

"You don't have to pay me," she began to wind the hopper in her hands. "Just keep an eye out for stuff for me too. Brass, steel, cogs, sprogs," her signature etcetera hand move made an encore appearance. "Spare parts basically. I can make anything out of the right materials. You do that and you've got yourself a scavenging partner."

This talk of work was definitely putting her back at ease. She placed the windy frog on the desk. It kind of sat there a moment and stared at the two of them as if to ask "Am I supposed to be doing something." Genie's mouth twisted to the side. It had been working before. Maybe one of the screws came loose. She was about to check on that, when the thing finally lurched forward and the woman's confusion turned into a satisfied smile. Just a hiccup. It hopped about four, maybe six times before the winder wound down and it stopped again.

"Small things to make toys like that or big things to make gizmos like a flying balloon, I'll take it all." She wasn't too picky when it came to scrap metal and spare parts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: