Old March 2, 2017, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Aeyr is an upstanding Citizen
[Medonia] What Do You Need From Me?

Early Spring Era XXIV

Medonia had been his home, once. Before the war it had been a proud and industrious city, one that had held generations of his family and the history that had come with it.

Not that he was overly proud of some of that history, himself. Some of his family had been a terrible and irredeemable plague upon the planet. But, such was the nature of family, he supposed. There was little that could be done about that.

Still, there was a pull to the thought of coming home once again. There was opportunity here despite the conditions the city had been thrust into. Survival was prominent in the mind of its inhabitants, sure - but so was growth, trade, and repair. He had heard fascinating rumors of arcane fallout and its effects upon the city, as well as on the flora and fauna around it. With his access to some of the surrounding universities and study in the field itself, Aeyr found himself intrigued by the prospects of work within the broken city. There was much to be discovered here.

He had heard about the glassblower and her influence on this growth. She was the natural person to gravitate towards once he had found himself in Medonia again. Finding her was an initial irritation - everyone seemed to have a different opinion on where she might be at this hour of the day, and apparently she liked to move about from time to time. Weariness and a growing ache in his head left him less amenable to the goose chase that had ensued, but in time he had collected a wide array of descriptions on the woman's physical - and apparently less-than-agreeable social - attributes. By that point he could have picked her out among a crowd from hundreds of leagues away.

He entered the workshop with a few fingers already at his temple, eyeing the bustle of the workers within. His eyes swept the interior, determining immediately which figure was the one he had been seeking all morning, observing with a rather dry amusement that some of those descriptions had been exaggerated.

A long-legged stride closed the distance quickly enough.

"Iseult Fluersdotter," he greeted with a small raise of the hand, "Pardon, I realize you're busy. I was hoping to catch you before you slipped off to another corner of the city. I'm an alchemist and researcher from Port Alyxandrya, hoping to lend my hand to the development of the city. When you have a moment-" he lifted his brows to the work taking place around them, realizing that he would have been thoroughly agitated at the interruption, himself - "I was hoping you would be amenable to a discussion."

He would wait, if such was necessary. He was a patient man - when he had to be.
Aeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Glasstress

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Iseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious Superhero

The glassblower shifted, turning just enough so that she could greet the source of her name at an angle. It was habit, responding to the name, and she looked up with the casualness of someone quite frankly expecting to see someone more familiar staring at her, asking questions related to the surrounding business at hand. Black eyes blinked as she stared at the man across from her, notably surprised that it wasn't an employee, contracted or otherwise, and having a moment where she thought the man looked vaguely familiar. She dismissed it--even having not seen the man she hadn't thought of in eras, it wasn't him. Odd, though, to suddenly feel so reminded. She wondered how he was and if he'd ever figured out how to put his head to rights.

Iseult lifted the bit of charcoal in her fingers off the parchment in front of her, the project she'd been eying up for now abandoned by her attention. It was just as well she didn't have a punty and hot glass at its end, or annoyance might have swelled considerably. As it were, she took a moment to fully process what he was saying, given certain words leaping out at her: alchemist, Port Alyxandrya, help. Her mouth twisted into a thoughtful grimace as she struggled to remember the name of the alchemist whose skills she had use of back in the City of Queens. Not someone she was likely to want to hire again, all things considered. She sincerely hoped that this one hadn't gotten her name from that fool...or else she was going to have to strongly consider simply tossing him out on his backside before things got strange.

"Can I help you with something?" A little purple haired fairy darted in front of the human, hands on her hips as wings fluttered furiously at her back, keeping her aloft and level with him. "Miss Iseult is busy." Her stern look suggested that somehow he might have overlooked some sort of protocol.

"It's all right, Anelene. I think they'll do okay without me for a little bit." The glassblower set aside the charcoal and the parchment on the table nearby, revealing it to be a drawing of whatever it was a black-haired young woman and male half-elf were working on in tandem at the furnace. For her part, the fairy had a bit of an incredulous, shocked look upon her face, as if she couldn't quite believe what she was hearing. "Chayse, any problems, please holler, all right?" The black-haired woman looked up with a grin and a nod before bending her head back to what she was doing.

The half-breed turning towards the interloper as she wiped blackened fingers on the thigh of her pants, an unconscious gesture, by the looks of it, that she didn't really think anything of. She made a small movement of her hands towards her guest, indicating that he go ahead and speak. Doing so, she shifted a little bit away from the immediate working space. She was willing to give him a moment of her time but clearly a bit reserved in just how far she meandered into privacy to give him that time. "You said you're an alchemist," she started, reiterating the conversation so that they might start fresh while she could actually focus on what was being said, rather than being bombarded. "From Port Alyxandrya."

She tilted her cheek. Blonde hair touched with hints of blue shifted over her shoulder, braided so that it might stay out of her face as she worked--a dangerous distraction around hot molten glass. A smudge of charcoal had found its way in a smear at her chin, for all that she seemed fairly unaware of it. She was dressed to work: worn brown slacks and an old white shirt touched with hints of stain, black smudges and even a bit of hardened glass that had fastened itself into the cuff of a sleeve, burning the fabric but having eventually accepting it as it settled into place. "How do you think you can help?"
Iseult Fluersdotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

oocHaha! I love it. He's just so much like that one guy...

The man's stoic gaze studied the grimace that alighted the woman's features as she slipped into thought. He had often been accused of much the same expression under similar conditions, and it was almost amusing to see it echoed now. She didn't seem impressed by his listing of credentials, perhaps a little more hesitant than anything, which didn't surprise him all that much - he would have felt the same. He opened his mouth to say something more when his gaze darted to a new voice beyond.

Oh fairies. That was just what he needed for his headache. A decidedly unimpressed "I doubt it," escaped his lips when she asked if she could help. A frown creased his own brow when she claimed Iseult was busy, a very evident observation that need not be pointed out, but then the glassblower dismissed the fairy's concerns. The purple-haired thing was not the only one to appear surprised.

When Iseult repeated what he had said, his brows dropped and he nodded, intent on making use of the time the glassblower had deemed to provide him.

"I am," he began thoughtfully, eyes drifting to the goings-on of the workplace as he walked beside her. His hands slipped from behind his back into his pockets, his own clothes plain but well-kept enough for a man who took a reasonable amount of pride in his appearance. He was unconcerned with how the workshop might affect this, however, more focused on the task at hand than maintaining the cleanliness of said appearance. Work took precedence, after all.

He looked toward her then, previous irritation of the day melting at the fairness of her question. It was a good question, and one that he had been so confident in that he hadn't seen fit to give it much thought. He tried to ignore the smudges on her face when he met her gaze - he found them distracting, if not somewhat charming in their own strange way, and he was particularly attached to the idea of Medonia, so he tried to focus on the words.

"Medonia is in need of trade, I imagine, and alchemists are not altogether common. My motives aren't unselfish.... I would like to set myself up while the city is new, and I've heard there is a lot to discover in the wake of the war. Craters, odd beasts and plants, gossip of materials affected by all the casting and whatever else performed here. I would love the opportunity to research and experiment, and in exchange, offer what I find... to you." A hand came out of his pocket briefly to gesture toward her, as if she needed some form of clarification.

"But... Medonia was also my home as a boy. I have a personal interest in its success. My services are yours explicitly, no matter what I have on my own agenda, should you ever require them."

Despite his own motivations for being here, he wanted her to know that he would not mind being a pocket alchemist and recorder, someone who might collect and categorize anything of value and make use of the knowledge that arose from that - for the growth of the city, and all that. What he was interested in was the challenge. And besides, with all the opportunities for endless research around him, and with the city only just beginning, he rather liked the idea of settling in to a place where he could work to himself without the bustle of the academy to blind him.

Last edited by Aeyr; March 3, 2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old March 5, 2017, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Glasstress

Iseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious SuperheroIseult Fluersdotter is a glorious Superhero

Iseult regarded him with no small amount of curiosity, a small shift forward and a rolling back of her shoulders demonstrating her curiosity at the tacked on offer to share his researched information with her. The glassblower would have been lying if she noted she wasn't interested. Point in fact, she'd utilized the help and suggestions of alchemists before in some of her commissions...largely because an alchemist was using her own services and also because sometimes commissions required strange alchemical things to help get them off the ground. Her own knowledge of the many intricacies of alchemy was fairly pathetic but her interest had been perked enough that she'd thought of potentially expanding that knowledge.

You could do wondrous things with glass when you combined it with alchemy, after all, and that was something Iseult was always after.

But this...? The possibilities shifted a little bit more...and opened up entirely different doors.

"So..." she trailed off, tilted her head a little as she struggled with just the right words in regards to her question. Or questions. If only she had the know-how to ask questions specific to that little wellspring of knowledge... Trying to sound like she knew what she was talking about inevitably demonstrated that she really had no idea at all. "So what you're saying is that you're looking for a sponsor, to help you get set up in a space, help you buy your supplies, pay for your overhead..." She trailed off as she regarded him, face closed. He seemed far more put together, less off-putting and a good deal less crazy than some of the other alchemists she'd encountered.

If there was ever an alchemist to potentially work with...?

Her jaw shifted and she chewed, for a moment, at her lower lip before correcting the thoughtful change in her expression, rolling her shoulders in a small shrug. "I'd need to see something of what you can do. Do you have anything with you? Or do you need to get things set up first...?" She trailed off, eying him with uncertainty. Was she going to be expected to jump in feet first without any evidence that he was what he actually said he was? She was interested, certainly, but she also liked to think she wasn't an idiot ready and able to be bamboozled! People were getting desperate these days, the war having done to the region and lands to the west what it had. Damned Xet.

Still, her goal was to try to get people the work and homes they needed to bring life back to the city. Basically, her goal precisely was to help people like this one get his feet under him and help make Medonia great again.

"What's your name?" A simple question but one that she felt was fairly important, too. If she was going to help him, after all, a name was pretty bottomline. She was trying to think, too, just what sort of space she could offer the alchemist, if he proved able, that wouldn't interfere with her glass or with anyone else's projects...the fumes being what they were, sometimes.
Old March 5, 2017, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

If Aeyr had any nervous ticks he certainly didn't display any, stance almost rigid in its stillness as she seemed to consider him and his offer. He noted that she was very good at hiding what she was thinking - her brush-over of his garb and features was impressively impassive. He found a brow begin to lift away from the usual stern set of his mouth as he awaited her response.

Her first "so..." had him readying himself for an annoying amount of repetition, something that had him echoing her earlier motion of rolling his shoulders back. At what she said after, however, he stopped - brow softening in a gently acceptance of surprise. She was not only correct, but assuming more than he might have initially requested. That would have been the best case scenario, and he made no effort to correct her, finding the thought of someone helping with overhead one he'd be a fool to pass up.

"Yes, that would be ideal."

Her hesitance and subsequent request was an intelligent move as well, one that had him tilting his head in acknowledgment that he should have come more prepared. He would have respected her far less if she had trusted him blindly, and he felt all the more a fool for having come empty handed.

"A lot of what I had was property of the academies that I was working with, and I have recently been traveling a bit, so I was unable to transport many of my perishable ingredients. I was planning to set up at the inn for now, perhaps commission any glass equipment from you," he admitted. "If you can give me a cycle, I can have something for you. Do you have any particular requests? Anything in the area specifically that you would like me to look into?"

He turned to face her completely at the request of his name, realizing that he already knew hers and had not thought to produce his own. He had jumped right into business, he supposed.

"Aeyr Ealdwine," was his simple offer. He didn't believe in "nice to meet you"s or "it's been a pleasure". No one ever meant any of that, anyway.
Old March 5, 2017, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glasstress

Hands settled at her hips, fingers drumming for a moment as she considered the nature of his request. She'd made alchemy equipment before, knew and understood that it was complicated equipment that required a somewhat delicate and confident hand. Still, the man was clearly looking to get help starting out. Had he the money to do it all himself, he wouldn't be approaching her. She tipped a look back towards Chayse, the raven-haired woman concentrating on her piece, and came to a conclusion. "If you'll need the equipment still, it might take a bit more than a cycle to get everything made for you. You'll want to speak to Chayse, she'll help you with what you want." Meaning, it was a low-grade request and Iseult really did have more important commissions to work on.

Hands lifted, arms settled, this time folding against her chest as she drew herself up to her full-height. In some situations she ended up the taller of the pair but in this situation, her height was his height. "Here's my offer: if what you manage to produce comes out well then you don't have to worry about paying for the cost of the equipment--you can consider it part of our new arrangement. Additionally, you'd get a space to do your work, I'll see about covering reasonable costs for your equipment and supplies. I'd get first access to whatever you work or produce but anything else you sell or make on commission I'd get a small percentage of the sale cost. If this works out, we can figure that out a bit later." Iseult had to admit that she was coming up with a lot of this on the spot and certainly if she was going to partner with anyone they would have to formally sit down to negotiate, draw up a contract, reach an agreement that everyone was happy with. But for now...? Vague outlines would be sufficient.

It certainly helped that her interest was peaked.

"As for...what to look into...?" She trailed off, knowing what it was she wanted for sure but uncertain if the man across from her would really be able to help her. In that department, Iseult was feeling terribly cynical. Plus, she didn't want to send the man on a wild goose chase first thing. That seemed...unfair. No, the vines might have to wait a little while longer. She studied him, really sort of uncertain (when it was all said and done) what sort of thing you might request from an alchemist in the first place. They bolstered things, improved them, sometimes made the impossible possible. Having been given the time to think about her request, she might have actually been able to come up with something...smart? Or something a little less...empty-headed. But here she was, put on the spot.

"There's a lot I'd like to do but..." A small shrug, almost impatient with herself more than anything. "I've been looking forward to getting a better look at the crater where Unicorn Plaza used to be. But...hazards as they are... A potion that might help improve seeing in the dark without a candle or lantern would reduce the need for any open flames or needless use of magic." Not knowing what sort of things were down there and all... "Think you could start there?"
Old March 5, 2017, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

A swift, short nod from the alchemist as he turned his gaze toward Chayse, glad to see that it wasn't the fairy he had probably insulted earlier. That might have made collaboration a little difficult.

At her rise in posture and beginning of an offer, Aeyr turned his full attentions upon the woman again. His own hands came out of his pockets and were then clasped behind him, his mind taking careful note of each of the points she mentioned. Although unbeknownst to the glassblower, he too was determining that a contract would need to be drawn up, each of their points of agreement written and signed upon in ink.

"That's fair," he said of the trade of alchemy for equipment. He knew glass and the time spent producing it was not a simple task, and possibly an unaffordable one. There was a reason he had heavily relied on the equipment offered by the universities. As for the rest? "Of course. I would expect no less of you, Ms. Fleursdotter." What he made and produced was less of a concern to him, after all, than was the challenge of what he learned and discovered from the work. To have a place to study and an abundance of things to study was what the man was after.

The man's own interest was fully piqued at the mention of Unicorn Plaza, which had been one of the locations of note when he had considered the benefits of settling back into Medonia. He canted his head in consideration of her request, the options already spinning in his mind during the silence between them.

"Yes... yes I believe I could. I will see what I can do."

At this the man's head lifted, bringing the both of them to equal height once more. The productivity of the conversation had put him in good spirits. Knowing that to be vastly unclear in his expressions, the man fought for the words to say.

"I thank you for your time, Ms. Fleursdotter. I... realize it is valuable to you."
Old March 5, 2017, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Glasstress

"Of course, if for some reason it doesn't work out then I'd expect payment for the items, some way or another." She shrugged, dismissing concerns about how with an accompanied swoosh of her hand. She wasn't some fiend that demanded soul selling or slavery to work off debts. As it was, he seemed calm and confident rather than jittery or uncertain. That boded well to the glassblower...unless he had some preconceived notions about his own skills that fell flat of reality. She'd found that some craftsmen could be that way...

But she could see within his movements that he was feeling positive. Maybe she'd offered too much after all.

Her mouth shifted into a bit of a wry smile at his expression of thanks. "It's Fluersdotter," she corrected lightly, unperturbed by the slip-up. It wasn't the first time and it certainly wouldn't be the last time she'd needed to correct the odd mispronunciation of her surname. were she not already known for the name, she might have changed it but there it was...the name that artists and the well-to-do knew to call on when they needed something glass and fancy. She could suffer a few mispronunciations in exchange. "You'll find that very few call me Ms. Fluersdotter." Even those that worked for her. "Iseult'll do."

She cleared her throat, moving on from the awkwardness of name correction. "Chayse should be free within the hour to speak to. Use the time to decide what you need. If you'd like to stay around here, you're free to do so...just mind you don't get in anyone's way." Otherwise known as 'if you end up in the wrong spot with molten hot glass all over you, you'll be a very sorry person.' For more reasons than just one. However, it was fairly hot in the workshop and why anyone would want to hang out in a stuffy, low-grade oven unless they really had to...?

"If you need any help from me, I'm usually here or at Emerald River. Anyone here can generally direct you." She stood there for a moment, feeling fairly confident herself in what could be a decent business decision. Good to have an alchemist on hand for a variety of reasons...but the man himself seemed steady. His demeanor felt...good...to the glassblower. Calm, confident, certain, rather than nervous and even arrogant.

She nodded to him. "I look forward to seeing what you can do, Mr. Ealdwine." A small, amused smile as she offered him the same name courtesy he'd given her a moment ago, even after she'd told him not to do it. She dismissed herself from the conversation, turning back to speak with Chayse, both about her on-going commission...and the one Iseult had just roped her into.

What else were bosses good for but to throw you into the deep-end, after all?
Old March 6, 2017, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

Well, he'd tuck that mispronunciation away to avoid that embarrassment again. For the time being, however, the man turned to Chayse and worked with her on the specifics before leaving the stuffy atmosphere of the workshop, retreating to his room where his notes and tomes were stored away.

There, he searched for anything he might have written on particular plants, insects, common creatures, maybe even certain soils or minerals that assisted with enhanced sight in the dark, from whatever work he had done at the university prior to coming here.

The next brightening he'd set out with a small bag with his book and some pencils, and his glasses inside. He wore an older set of plainclothes to avoid getting his nicer things dirty. He kept a dagger on his person just in case, and stopped at the front desk to ask the innkeeper if they might have anyone interested in tagging along as muscle for the day. He assumed that the mercenaries wandering through would have put their names in for work, and it never hurt to have some protection, if the rates were affordable at least.

oocJust throwing up a quick post to get things rolling for the mod.
Old March 7, 2017, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Genevieve Jolliffe is an upstanding Citizen
Shrewd hazel eyes looked up through spectacles at the man asking for protection. The halfling ran his fingers through his dark brown hair and said, "Hmph." He then turned and rifled through a few stacks of papers. He wasn't looking for anything in particular. He just didn't want this human to think that he'd been sitting there doing nothing but waiting for an errant adventurer to deign to talk to him. He had a life. He had feelings. A wife, daughter, and son (hopefully) on the way. Why didn't anyone ever ask for his story? Was his life as front desk manager at this inn with shabby sheets so boring that no one wanted to sing his praises? These adventurer's were all the same.

That thought rewarded the human with another "Hmph," after a significant amount of time had passed. Enough to make the human know that he had interrupted a very busy and very interesting person and hadn't even bothered to get to know him. He was forever being treated like a side character in some moronic story. His pudgy finger pointed beyond Aeyr's shoulder.

A rather tall burly man stood just beyond, with his back turned to the alchemist. He had a sword and an axe strapped to his back. His clothes were a little too tight, but that was just because his muscles were so huge. The man's bald head glinted in the light. He was speaking rather animatedly with someone. When the man laughed, he roared. He was the pinnacle of fitness, and it seemed he had a good air about him too. The cether hmphed at Aeyr again and grunted at the burly man. The man turned to face them, with surprise on his countenance. A simple, "Oh sorry," escaped his lips as he stepped aside.

The halfling pointed emphatically at the person who had been hidden by the muscle man. It was another man. No hair on this one's head either. But his face and head had been marred somehow. Perhaps acid burns... or just regular fire burns, who knew? But the only feature that wasn't completely scar tissue was his bright blue eyes. And they appeared to be completely insane. He was dressed casually. Dual katanas were strapped to his back. Daggers at his thighs. Who knew what else was hidden on him. He was lean, yet appeared to be strong enough.

The human nodded at the halfling. The halfling grunted at the human and then filed this interaction as a win under his belt. Let the alchemist deal with that guy. That's what happened when you treated Front Desk Manager #3 Halfling Type like he wasn't even important enough to have a name. The cether faded into the background, probably never to be heard from again. Maybe to pop up in some other random city, who knew? He liked traveling, not that anyone ever asked.

The mercenary sauntered up to the alchemist and inclined his head at him. "Names Wade." His voice was deep and gravelly. The man grabbed at his genital area, then turned his head and coughed. A tiny bit of phlegm dislodged from his throat, and he immediately spat it on the ground. "What can I do for you?" His voice was much better now. Maybe a little higher pitched too.

Last edited by Genevieve Jolliffe; March 7, 2017 at 07:18 AM.
Genevieve Jolliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Citizen

Aeyr's sharp eyes turned in the direction the strange halfling had indicated, settling on the large burly figure who seemed entirely capable of holding his own in a fight. The more slender man lifted a hand and opened his mouth to introduce himself when the mercenary apologized and stepped away, leading Aeyr to turn back to the halfling in bemusement. Could he, perhaps, have at least tried to be a little more clear on just who it was he was pointing to?

Already irate, the alchemist turned to the one the halfling was now pointing more emphatically towards. A look of shock crossed his features when he noticed the poor state of the new mercenary's appearance, although he was rather impressed with the fact that he looked to have skinny dipped in acid and continued just fine on his merry way. The fact that he was still standing was remarkable, at the very least.

He had weapons, the alchemist determined, and that was enough to give the man the benefit of the doubt when the mercenary suddenly grabbed himself in the nether regions and coughed. The alchemist's face twisted in disgust at this and he turned to the halfling, a "no" already on his lips. I want another one, he was about to say.

But the stupid halfling was already... where did he go? The alchemist looked angrily for him for several moments before turning his scowl back on "Wade".

"I..." He looked around, wondering why the burlier man wasn't looking for any work. Was this really what he was stuck with?

Sigh.

"I... need to collect some items for study, and I need someone to keep an eye out in case there's any trouble. I hear bandits are still an issue in the surrounding woodlands. Is that of interest to you, and if so, what are your rates?"

Not that Aeyr cared if the man was interested in the work. What mattered was that he was willing to suffer through the day with him for a reasonable enough cost.
Old March 7, 2017, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

Wade cocked his weird head to the side, shifted all of his weight onto one foot, and rested his thumbs into his belt appraising the waif of a man before him. "So what? Like a bodyguard? Geez man. Ever picked up a sword? Those bandits out there aren't so bad." In truth they were pretty bad. Not that it mattered to Wade because he usually got drunk with them on the weekends. Mercenary. He was friends with all sides of the story. Not that this spindly fool needed to know that. If he was as smart as it looked like he thought he was, the dude would be able to figure that out on his own.

He sighed and rocked back and forth from heel to toe. "I couldn't do that job for less than..." he quoted a fairly outrageous price that would probably put Aeyr out on the streets for the next few brightenings. And then the man's creepy face broke out into a grin that would make children weep.

Clasping his arm around the alchemist's shoulders, he playfully punched him in the chest. Maybe a little harder than playfully. "I'm just fething with you man. I'll do if for..." he quoted a much more reasonable price. Perhaps a little too reasonable. In truth, Wade just wanted to get out of the inn and see what this little twerp was up to. Maybe he could sell that information to someone else.

"I'll keep you safe to nerd it up all brightening. After that, you're on your own unless you produce some more coin." His words were sincere. While Wade might not have the strictest morals, he would always fulfill his job as long as the price was right. Right now, Aeyr was paying the price so Wade would do right. Later, if his buddies came around and offered more, it might be a different story. Might be.

Wade was growing fond of this guy with his shifty eyes. Shifty eyes meant potential for more. Rich people always had shifty eyes. Who knew, in a few eras when Mr. Shifty Eyes was a big wig millionaire, maybe he would remember old Wade and the way he protected him from his friends. It was a risk he was probably willing to take.

He noogied the man and then released his hold on him. Holding his hands out wide like he was inviting Aeyr in for a hug, he asked, "So whaddya say? Pals for the day?"
Old March 7, 2017, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Citizen

Aeyr's brows lowered to form a distinctly unamused, judgmental glare at the man's attempt at a joke. It was probably terribly obvious by now that Aeyr did not do jokes, as evidenced by the hard stare that remained for quite some time even as the mercenary continued to speak. Especially as the mercenary continued to speak.

The alchemist did not seem to react to the outrageous price. He remained still and silent, focusing all of the death he was capable of channeling into someone through the length of that baleful glare.

Only when the man assumed to touch him did Aeyr's glare turn into something of abject horror. He attempted to withdraw into himself, shoulders scrunching, form jostling at the punch against his chest. He tried to brush the mercenary away, worming his way out of the man's grip as he adjusted his price to something that was far less laughable than the last - and Aeyr hadn't even laughed that time, either.

Gods, even a reasonable price might not be worth this misery. Aeyr sorted his clothes to rights, regardless of the fact that they would likely get dirty out in the woods, and was tugging at the bottom of his vest when his eyes shot up to the mercenary again. No. No, nonono. The man's attempt at a hug was met with a look of dread and absolute confusion. What in Aeternia was going on here? Had he accidentally slept at a brothel again?

"I am not paying you to be my friend," he said emphatically, finding himself pointing in the man's general direction. To busy himself from feeling so put-off, he continued to smooth a hand over his vest and try to avoid meeting the man's ugly eyes. He felt somehow that in doing so, he would only be encouraging his terrible behavior. It was like staring into the eyes of a beast that thought to challenge another for dominance. He was not about to play that game.

"I will only consider paying you anything if you remain at a respectable distance and do not distract me from my work." It was a demand. If the man was not willing to agree to these terms, Aeyr would rather wander off and die somewhere out in the woods - alone. It was certainly a far more appealing prospect than listening to Wade blather on all day.

Last edited by Aeyr; March 7, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old March 7, 2017, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

Wade crossed his legs at the ankle and wrapped one arm around his waist. His elbow perched at his side while his hand covered his mouth coquettishly. His eyelashes would have fluttered if they hadn't been seared off in some terrible accident. Or experiment, who knew? Wade knew. But he wasn't telling. Beware the man who knows too much. "Then maybe lovers?" His head cocked to the side and he sort of jiggled his hips towards the man.

His future employer seemed upset enough at that point that Wade snapped himself out of it and stood like a normal human being. If normal human beings were a walking burn that currently had their fingers laced behind their head and was doing a circular movement with their hips and staring off into the distance, perhaps at a reader, saying "Helicopter, helicopter." Gods, Wade get yourself together!

He nodded and held his hands behind his back. His teeth raked across the scar tissue that would have been his lips and he made a smacking noise... Wade, I'm fething serious. We have to move on. Just behave until we get out of the fething tavern!

"I can do that, not-my-friend." His blue eyes turned back towards the fourth wall that he was completely aware of and loved to break, "I can behave." Good. Now that that's settled.

Realizing that the last time he had touched the man, Aeyr had turned from a plum into a raison, Wade sighed and continued on with the terms of their agreement. "This is the boring part," Wade...

His eyes rolled and since the lids were so weirdly mutilated, they were able to roll even further into the back of his than normal people. "I won't bother you from whatever nerd stuff you're doing. I'll keep a respectable distance. I'll save your scrawny ass from whatever bad guys come after you. Just don't shake my hand, lest you fall in love with me." He sounded like a petulant child. But all things considered, it went smoother than what was originally though.
Old March 10, 2017, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Citizen

This was almost too much. Aeyr wasn't sure why he put himself through this sort of misery. He supposed he could have pursued another mercenary, but his budget was limited and there weren't exactly an array of winners leaping at his feet. He really needed to secure this job so that he would no longer have to subject himself to morons just like this one.

The hip thrusts and rotations were almost enough for Aeyr to turn on his heel and search for that damnable gnome. Where in Aeternia did he even go? This mercenary insane, no doubt unpredictable. Aeyr wondered if he might be killed, rather than any bandits, somewhere out in the forest. Not to mention, watching Wade stare out into the distance talking to no one in particular made him seriously concerned about the honesty of the man's agreement.

But Aeyr was in a hurry to get going. He didn't have time for this, and perhaps there would be enough stimuli in the forest to keep this idiot busy. The alchemist ignored the remarks on his physique and on shaking the mercenary's hand, instead providing him a small down payment in the hopes that it would keep him reasonably well behaved.

"Let's just get this over with, shall we?" He motioned for the door, a scowl on his face and a headache already forming. Daylight was wasting, and he wanted to start picking through the outskirts of town to see what he could find. He supposed he could run well enough, if this man turned out to be some sort of crazy murderer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: