Old August 13, 2016, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Lewis Dalton is a benevolent Adventurer

Back to Dolwoods

Late Summer

He'd begun to realise what it was to be a shaman. His experiences over the last few cycles had decided his new path in life. He'd murdered and caused damage to a lot of cultivated land recently, but the majority for the bears.

This brightening he entered the Dolwoods for the second time on the rumours of Xenarius shamans living deep within. His only other adventures into these magical woods was full of horrific glass spiders, who shot deadly webbing.

But, he had to re-enter. Word of these zealous Xenites were too tempting. Even at the risk of death, as came so close last time.

He had no idea where they were, but he had to try. There was no other choice. Men and women who had dedicated their lives to Xenarius and their chosen species - the same path Lewis was following - were only potential miles away. He had to find them to learn.

And with that, he took his first step.
Old August 17, 2016, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

Wealth Tier: Steel
Faengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious Superhero

Meles was camped on the edge of the glass forest, the Dolwoods. There was a badger set nearby and Meles had seen a mother and father, and two kits.

Meles entered confabulation with the female, and the world went dark and still. Her presence was rumbles and honeycomb and bee stings, of running and digging, the tang of grubs.

News, sett mother? Meles’ voice was nothing compared to hers. A thin whine, of reedy and lacking intent.

Child. Hunters with steel teeth on the ground. Make tricks, want skin. Her voice spoke of territory, and horror.

I will find the traps, Meles said and suddenly the world slammed back into existance. It always felt that way after confabulation… a few moments of vacuum where it was just her reed-voice and a badger’s honey-voice, and then the sensations of the world slammed back into her. She took a shuddering breath, and eyed the glass forest. There were no hunters brave enough to go in there. She would range the outer perimeter, sniffing out the traps and destroying them.

But first, rest.

~~~

She’d been snapping and collecting traps all day, and threw each one into a nearby pond to rust and be forgotten.

Meles took a big stick and snapped another badger trap, took a step back and started to dig at the pole keeping the trap in the ground with hands tipped in heavy black claws.

That’s when another trap snapped around her leg with an unnatural tick. Pain bloomed as it embedded into muscle and bone and she screamed, a short sharp sound. She spun and found the peg of the trap she’d missed, had snagged her leg, and she dug at the pole keeping the trap in the ground, growling through the pain.

Someone was coming, walking through the woods. She dug faster… frantic.

And that’s how Lewis found the girl, caught in a trap and digging for her life. She was in her late teens, was short and stocky with black matted hair and brown skin. She was filthy from digging, and had snatched up a rock to throw at his head, clutched in long black claws.

She took a look at Lewis, and the claws vanished. “He-help, mister! I… was walking along looking for berry brambles and… I got stuck in this trap!” Real tears welled in her eyes, as blood pooled around her leg.

Was this one of the trappers? Best to play it safe and play dumb and innocent.

Gray Hand ~ Residence ~ Status<-- Busy
Rep red or green as actions merit.
Faengwen Tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

It'd been a long brightening of nothing. Over the last few cycles, the novice shaman had been in contact with several bears. But after all, he was only a novice; an obsessive Xenarius wannabe zealot who had been reined in by the bear spirit guardian. It was a good shout based on the human's obsessive nature.

Lewis had developed a true passion for his bruin friends. It was right, he was all but skillless in battle, but what he lacked in ability, he made up for in balls. Sure, Lewis had murdered to defend his ferocious beasts, but he wasn't a natural warrior.

His life almost guaranteed loneliness; stuck among a forest or mountain, battling civilisation and dangers to bears. But, he was okay with that. He just felt so alone.

On this brightening, Lewis passed through the edge of the Dolwoods, his past experience of saving a bear and himself, from glass spiders stopping him from going much deeper for now.

He let his situne technique tendril out.

And, that was when he came upon the injured girl. Without a second thought, or moment paid to her words, he dropped to her side, clearly a man of the wild from his ragged look, and placed his hands near the trap. "Don't move. I'm going to take this off you... I hate those fething poachers and their bloody mechanisms. You wouldn't imagine the amount of bears..." His enthusiasm trailed off, unsure of who he was speaking to. And, at that, with great struggle, opened the trap, unsure of the girl and her reaction.

Last edited by Lewis Dalton; August 25, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
Lewis Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hero

Faengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious SuperheroFaengwen Tash is a glorious Superhero

There were bears-- three of them. A mother and two cubs, almost at the edge of Lewis’ radius.

Meles stared at the gruff man as he approached, to fast for her taste. Scared her when she couldn’t run, chatting away, she was cornered. She hissed, but then his hands were on the trap at her leg and the hiss of anger and fear turned into one of pain.

As for Lewis, opening the trap was not easy. It’s jaws were clamped tight around her ankle, digging into bone. There would be scars. Lewis’ muscles strained, but he felt a shift, and POP, the mechanism sprung open. In a moment the girl was away, hissing and limping, and trailing blood.

She glared at him for a moment, wavering from pain and uncertainty. “You hate the traps? You ain’t one of them trappers, then?”

She didn’t take her eyes off him and instead stood stock still, as if she could make the choice between fight and flight, though in this case, she could do neither as she bled from her trap wound.

Old August 26, 2016, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

Bears in the vicinity. Cubs too. Always a positive sign. Maybe he'd investigate them a little more when everything was mopped up here.

The sight of blood was nothing to the novice shaman. He'd stabbed children to death in the name of Xenarius for feth sake. Instead, he simply winced at the wound. It didn't look too healthy, but she'd be okay. He hoped.

His green eyes trailed her as she attempted to create some space. He didn't make a move. "I bloody despise them and the poachers. I'd love to butcher them all." Having been part of the wild for so long and away from civilisation, his tact had decreased slightly. "What you doing here anyway?"

Lewis was no harm to the girl. His body posture spoke volumes of that, as did his hatred and resentment for trappers.

Without thinking, he continued, "There are bears in the area. That blood is going to draw them in." And, at such a basic level, not even a bear shaman could guarantee safety when cubs were around.

Last edited by Lewis Dalton; August 26, 2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old August 28, 2016, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

Blood, dripping. He could almost smell it.

"Doing? Helping my friends. My family." Her nose wrinkled as she studied him. "I have to get rid of the traps." She sank to the ground then, evidently deciding that Lewis was not a threat. Her breath was ragged from pain, and she groaned as she started to examine the wound on her bare leg, covered in dirt and scars. The bone was fractured, but no broken, and the flesh torn jagged around the wound. The girl cursed, a foul mouthed string of words that were hard to make out between the groans as she examined the wound, but her head snapped up at the mention of bears, and her eyes narrowed.

She cast around for the stick she'd been breaking the traps with and got to work on making a tight splint for her ankle with a length of dirty linen from a little seabag on her back, so deft and sure it was clear she'd done this before. Maybe even on herself. "If you hate trappers so much, dig up that last trap for me?" She regarded him steadily. "I was going to throw them in the lake so the trappers can't use them again." It was the only way she could think to destroy them. She winced as she tied up the makeshift bandage with a jerk, but blood was already seeping through the linen.

She sniffed, rubbed her nose and stared him down, frowning with all the self possession a teenager could muster.

Old August 28, 2016, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

At the mention of getting rid of traps, Lewis beamed. He knew all about that. Bears were hunted possibly more than badgers. Lewis lowered himself to her level as a sort of mutual trust began to develop. If the novice shaman was honest with himself, it didn't look brilliant and would definitely leave a pretty wicked scar. "So, where do your family live and why on Telath are you clearing traps for your family?"

Lewis watched with great amazement as the girl went about patching herself up. She seemed like a good find; not only was she on his wave length, but she could, maybe one brightening, teach him healing. It'd be fantastic for injured bears.

Lewis obliged her request happily, clear enthusiasm in his actions. "These bloody things make a real mess of my bears. Glad to see the back of this one. I do this quite often too, by the way..."

After disposing of the trap, Lewis kneeled beside her. "Let me carry you. Where are we going?"
Old August 31, 2016, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hero

"My family is wherever I find them," the girl said, tilting her head to study the man before her. "I clear the traps to keep everyone safe. The kids could get hurt." She frowned then. "What do you mean, your bears? You a bear keeper or somethin'?" Her eyes narrowed sharply as she looked at him, suspicion growing, and her jaw set.

She sat, resting while he disposed of the traps, about a half dozen in all. It was just the one she'd sprung and the one that had trapped her leg that needed to Traps were easy to dispose of, but it actually took a while to dig them up an then drag them down an embankment to the lake and toss them in.

When he came back... his words fell on no ears at all. She was gone.

Old September 3, 2016, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

Lewis smiled as she answered; she sounded remarkably like a shaman of badgers. Not that he'd ever met another shaman, but she spoke weirdly enough to come across that way. "I guess you could say that. I can speak to them..." He'd never admitted his foreign abilities to anyone. This was a first.

The shaman was used to disposing of traps. He did it regularly. So, he got to business with haste, hands blackened within seconds. However, upon return, she had vanished. He'd come back beaming, ready to carry her to safety, but she was gone.

"Hello..." He called, as he crept around the area looking for signs of her. Had he been a more advanced shaman, he could have picked her out as it was uncommon knowledge that bears had the greatest sense of smell of all.

But as it was, he cast his searching gaze out, before checking the ground for bloody clues. She had to be here somewhere.
Old September 27, 2016, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hero

oocwow, sorry for the delay. i'm swamped at work, going to try posting weekly but it might be more like every 10 days.

There was no answer. It seemed that the girl had gone to ground, using his absence to escape. It was nothing personal, of course. It was just nature's way.

Clues, right! There was the ground that was all torn up from where the girl had been digging up the traps, and then some splashes of blood leading into the woods.

Before Lewis could investigate if the blood trail would lead him to the vanished girl, he heard other voices-- quiet and gruff, moving amongst the leaves.

"Last brace of traps up a'head." Two men wearing rough homespun and fur rounded a bend in the trail and stopped dead when they saw Lewis.

"Serale, stranger," one called out. The other eased his bow off his shoulder and muttered something to his companion. The man's eyes snapped to the torn up ground where the traps should be and stalked closer. "This your work, then?" The last came out decidedly less friendly.

Old September 29, 2016, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

Ergh. Just his luck. But, the shaman wasn't the kind of guy to just throw his hands up and abandon the game. So, as hazel eyes locked onto trails of blood, he stepped in that direction.

And then, his muscles locked and he froze. The sound of men approaching. He scanned about like a deer in lamp light, unsure what to do and searching for an escape route.

Feth.

As the two blokes rounded the corner, Lewis could be seen bent over, inspecting the bloody trails. He perked up with the greeting, playing as though he didn't know they were there. However, within seconds, the situation turned sour.

He gritted his teeth, watching the poacher unshoulder his bow. "You're fething joking aren't you. Just caught some bitch uprooting these. She messed with mine a few miles down and I've tracked her this far. But, the bugger slipped me. Seems something got her though, because she's left a real trail..." Lewis gestured to the blood.

Eek.

Last edited by Lewis Dalton; September 29, 2016 at 08:17 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: