Old March 27, 2016, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

[Dolwoods] Consign Me Not To Darkness [Private]

Summer Era XXIII

The Dolwoods. It was a dangerous place filled to the brim with creatures and an unknown force that seemed to effect arcana as well as the people within the forest. Jade had travelled through the forest many times before and once again, she found herself making her way through. It was not by necessity but rather choice that she strode through the deep dark forest. She had a flying mount, technically she could bypass the Dolwoods altogether and not even blink an eye but she was searching for something in particular within the forest.

Emrys had been sent overhead, flying nearby should he be needed but for the most part, Jade was on her own. She had heard many tales of the Dolwoods, hearing of its dangers and the various creatures that existed within but that did little to scare Jade. She found the forest fascinating. Not only this but she was here on a job as she had been the only one fool enough to take it on. She was sent to find the Enchanted Glade and see what state it was in. If she could find and capture any of the different magical creatures within then she would be given a bonus should she bring it back.

With her warped quarterstaff in hand, Jade entere the forest without much trouble to start. Her body remained tense and she was on the alert should something seek to sneak up on her. She didn’t have Nymira anymore to watch her back and Emrys was above the treetops, she didn’t want his help unless absolutely necessary.

Her attire was well-suited to her surroundings; her boots were worn but capable of handling the rough and unpredictable terrain, she wore a simple corset of deep green, her arms bare and a pair of snakeskin gloves covering her hands. She wore a thick pair of black breeches as it was far easier to maneuver than it would be wearing a dress, a sling was across her waist that held her shurikens as well as some of her reified throwing daggers and to finish it off, a sword hung at her hip. All in all, she had enough weapons to last her should she run into something unpleasant.

The suns had been high when she entered the forest but given the density of the foliage, she couldn’t be sure how long she would have the light. It likely wasn’t the best of ideas to remain in the forest when the darkening fell and she hoped to keep track of time but one never knew.

A hand reached up to lightly brush against the scar that sat across her neck. It was something she had been given when she had ‘died’ after her trip to the heavens. It still burned as though it were fresh the moment she touched it and her had fell back to her side. A constant reminder of the brightening things had changed, in more ways than she likely knew.

Secrets :
- L3 Quarterstaff
- L2 Sword
- L2 Dagger
- L2 Shuriken
- L2 Spellbreaking
- L2 Brawling

- 20 Rose compass shurikens (Steel - warped by Jade's spellbreaking power)
- 5 reified daggers (Steel - warped by Jade's spellbreaking power)
- 1 sword of unknown magical origins (SoF) (Steel)
- 1 warped quarterstaff infused with Thaum essence

Last edited by Jade Alanon; March 28, 2016 at 09:03 AM.
Jade Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

The first thing that Jade noticed upon approaching the Dolwoods was that something had definitely happened here. At the very least, from what she could currently see, something tremendous had struck the outlying areas of the forest. The trees, the foliage, every last plant in the area had been turned into snow-white glass. The Dolwoods now stood deathly still, not a single buzz of an insect or a chirp of a bird, the slight breeze not even eliciting the swaying of branches and leaves in the air.

Regardless of its status, however, the Dolwoods were still as hostile as ever. As Jade approached, she'd feel a sudden burning sensation against her body wherever she had stored her metallic weapons. The shurikens, the daggers, and the steel sword she carried, upon observation, had all rusted over to the point of near uselessness.

At least her quarterstaff was all right.
Old March 28, 2016, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

Entering the Dolwoods with weaponry was a necessity given the dangerous reputation the forest had. Jade had travelled through it before but never when it looked like this. Jade had never seen a forest made of what appeared to be glass and it unsettled her more than she liked to admit. The glass foliage was settled on the outer layer of the forest and Jade couldn’t know whether it continued on throughout the Dolwoods or just in this area. Arcana? Or something else?

It was beautiful and yet very eerie as Jade continued on into the Dolwoods. Her quarterstaff remained as useful as it had ever been but once Jade was within the vicinity of the Dolwoods reach, she found that her steel weapons had rusted over. Cursing under her breath, she stopped to look over her various sharp pointies to find them useless. They weren’t entirely ruined, she was sure she could sort out the rust issue once she left but for the time being, they would do her no good. Thankfully her primary weapon was and always would be her quarterstaff.

As the Dolwoods seemed to be made of glass now, Jade had no way of hiding her weapons as a means of leaving them behind so she kept them with her. She soldiered on through the Dolwoods with the intent of finding the Enchanted Glade inside. She had no reason to back down simply because she had less weaponry at her disposal. She was too stubborn for that.
Old March 28, 2016, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Indefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious SuperheroIndefinite is a glorious Superhero

Quiet, deathly quiet. There was the gentle crunch of glass underneath Jade's feet, and she'd have to be careful to watch where she stepped. Jagged glass everywhere, and the potential for potentially getting a few shards into her shoes, well... it'd be an unpleasant experience to say the least. Perhaps for that reason as well, there was nothing around these parts. What sort of animal might willingly stalk through this death trap of glass?

Well. Perhaps there were a few. Here and there she could see signs of activity, most of it through the splattered blood that remained. Not all were quite as lucky to have evolved to the point of being able to create footwear, after all. Bloody tracks, here and there dried pools and smudges from where perhaps there were fights. A sea of white tinged with red.

There was another problem, Jade found. Glass - sunlight - eyes burning. The further in she headed the worse the glare problem became, until she could hardly see at all.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

There was a deep eeriness to the forest that set Jade on edge. She had gone into the forest believing that she was ready for anything it could throw at her but this was unexpected to say the least. Why hadn’t she heard about this turn of events? Despite the calm on her face, she could feel her heartrate steadily increasing the further she moved into the forest, her feet crunching over the glass. How strong was the glass? Jade had little interest in finding a weak point and going through it, a fall would be bad enough but to land on shards of glass… What an embarrassing way to die.

There was no sound which only made things worse. No birds flying nor small creatures scurrying about. Had the animals been affected as well? Turned to glass? Doubtful as she was sure she would have spotted some glass animals by now if they had. Even still, as Jade glanced downwards in order to watch her footing, she took notice of what she believed to be splattered blood. As she hadn’t been cut, she assumed it was either an animal that had injured itself or another human who had entered before her.

Following the blood trail, Jade came across what she believed to be scenes where fights could have happened. Had the forest not been snow-white glass, she might not have noticed.

Well, this was interesting. It was the only sight of life aside from herself. Jade found it more and more difficult to keep the horrible glare from her eyes, the suns reflected off the glass and made it damn near impossible to see without burning her eyes. Shielding her eyes did little to help so Jade did what could be considered a dangerous move and closed her eyes. Rather than walking blind, she used her staff as a sort of cane, walking slowly and letting it run along the ground. If she came across a bump, she would stop and open her eyes to see what it was in her way. All the while she listened carefully, she was taking a risk closing her eyes and didn’t want to let something sneak up on her.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Right. Just close her eyes, and if she couldn't see them, they couldn't see her too, right? Therefore obviously nothing bad would happen to Jade.

Obviously.

Although to be fair, it was probably hard for anything to try and sneak up on her, given all of the glass around. It didn't exactly help when it came to sneaking around. So far the only sounds of crunching glass had to do with her own footsteps, so unless there was something flying around? Well, hopefully Jade was all good to go.

Tap tap tap. Her staff glided across the ground, out ahead of Jade to ensure she didn't end up walking into anything. Here and there it'd bump up against something like the trunk of a tree, or simply shatter its way through a small plant or something. Speaking of not being stealthy, Jade was really just sort of broadcasting her presence, wasn't she?

...what direction was she going, anyway? Just further into the woods?
Old March 31, 2016, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

One had to question, as she continued on through the forest, whether this was the best idea or not. Perhaps it would have been best to wait until the suns went down beyond the horizon to continue but only a fool would go through the Dolwoods at night. Jade’s desire was to be gone from there before it came to that but it wasn’t looking good so far. The suns glare was incredibly difficult to avoid and without her sight, she was literally blind to whatever might be in the forest.

The glass crunched under foot and Jade had to take her steps carefully so not to shatter the glass beneath. She had to assume that if anything did come near her, she would be able to hear them on the fragile glass but one couldn’t make too many assumptions in a place like this. She didn’t know what to expect and part of her was tempted to leave the Dolwoods behind, whatever money she was offered wasn’t worth her life.

Still, Jade refused to give up. She didn’t like the thought of running and even if she did want to leave, that wasn’t going to be simple. She still had to deal with the blinding glare and the dangerous glass all around her.

Where was it that she was heading? North? South? She lost track at this point as she slowly but surely continued on. Her staff served as a guide to what to avoid and she did her best not to bump into anything all the while trying to listen to whatever might be around her. She would check periodically to see if the glare was receding at all. She wanted to find this damn Enchanted Glade and be done.
Old March 31, 2016, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Jade was heading in a direction.

The glare didn't really seem to be receding at all, unfortunately, whatever direction she happened to be going in just leading her into more and more glass. Had she perhaps already passed the Enchanted Glade? Was there any way to tell? It was entirely possible the place had been turned into glass as well, and there'd be no real way to differentiate it between anything else in this forest.

There was the faint tinkling of crashing glass somewhere to her... right? So, it seemed like she definitely wasn't the only thing in this forest. The only question was whether Jade felt like seeing what was going on over there, or sticking to her own path. Which was, uh, definitely going somewhere soon. Probably.
Old April 1, 2016, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

Not being able to see, not even for a few simple moments, was incredibly frustrating, not to mention very dangerous. Any number of things could occur in those moments when her eyes were closed and given she had nothing more than the sound of her feet stepping precariously on glass, she had plenty of time to consider what those things might be. This was ridiculous, how did she imagine she was going to find the feckin enchanted glade when she couldn’t even see? She could be walking right through it and not even know.

Jade swore to herself as she shifted once more to avoid something that her staff had bumped into. She was just lucky that she was taking it slow so she didn’t trip on anything, the glass would likely prove unforgiving if she met with it face first.

Despite having her eyes closed, Jade was beginning to get a headache which did not help her mood to improve. She halted her steps though when she heard the faint sound of glass crashing somewhere close by. Jade was no tracker but given her eras of hunting things down, she could at least hopefully assess where the noise had come from. It was now confirmed that she wasn’t alone but what had made the noise? An animal or human? Maybe neither, one never knew with this feckin place.

What was she to do? Inspect what made the noise or continue on where she was heading? She didn’t even know at this point, at least going in the direction of the noise might prove to provide her with something while this just seemed fruitless. Slowly turning towards where she was sure she heard the noise, Jade began to slowly make her way towards it. Her staff remained in front of her and her pace did not quicken. She would make an attempt to open her eyes as she moved, hoping to perhaps spy something.
Old April 1, 2016, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Jade wandered over in the direction she'd heard the crashing from, slowly tip tapping her way over with her staff. It'd take a bit, mostly because it seemed the woods had been particularly thick in this area, and she had to navigate her way around numerous trees and other plants scattered about the place without getting herself all scratched up on the sharp glass.

Luckily, it seemed like whoever was responsible for the noise was making plenty of it, meaning that Jade had a repeatable source of noise to follow. Eventually, as she got close, she'd begin to hear voices.

"...all the bloody way out here and it's just a bunch of glass?! How am I supposed to get the... needed for... Arcana?"

More glass shattering, and a second inaudible voice piped up that was quickly covered up by the tantrum the first (feminine, from what Jade could tell) was throwing.
Old April 2, 2016, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

As before, her trek was tedious and slow with the glass forest becoming denser as she moved in the direction of the noise. So far she had managed to keep her balance, manuevering herself around the bits of glass foliage as best she could. She was just glad that she had brought her staff with her or should have had simply left the Dolwoods rather than attempting to traverse the dangerous terrain, especially when the suns were as bright as they were.

While the sound had been faint at first, Jade could now hear it more clearly as she drew closer. The figure, it sounded female, seemed to be in a right state as they seemed to be speaking to someone else. Jade couldn’t discern how many voices they were nor the gender of the others but she was a bit uncertain as to what she should do next.

If her sight was hindered by the bright light reflecting off the glass, surely theirs was too? Jade didn’t know but she did not like feeling vulnerable, blind and unable to know who or what they were.

Rather than continue forward, Jade would halt her steps and attempt to listen. What was it that they were doing? Here to gather something obviously and they ran into the same disappointment as Jade, the forest being glass. But where they dangerous? Jade was still as possible, she made noise coming towards them but at least she would hopefully hear them coming her way if they did.
Old April 2, 2016, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Foreboden!

Close enough to be able to hear bits and snatches, hopefully far enough away that they wouldn't be able to detect her. From what Jade could tell? The angry female had been trying to get the Enchanted Wood for her Staff of Arcana, and with everything being glass she couldn't find the bloody glade.

The other person, also a female, seemed to be some sort of servant or companion, who was just trying to calm the other person down and maybe not smash all of the glass she could hurt herself!
Old April 2, 2016, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

Coming to a standstill, Jade listened carefully to the voices as they spoke. One voice was really easy to hear given the rage behind it. Someone was throwing a massive temper tantrum because they had come to the Dolwoods looking for the Enchanted Glade in order to make a staff of arcana but that obviously wasn’t going to happen. The forest had been turned into glass, surely that made harvesting the wood impossible, unless they believed that the glade had been untouched?

Jade didn’t know nor did she know whether to approach these two women or leave them behind and continue on. All in all, it seemed like a hopeless venture for them all since the Dolwoods obviously didn’t want to play fair. That being said, the woman was an arcanist though Jade didn’t know which sphere, did she have any way of helping her see through the forest?

“Shattering the glass isn’t going to help you.” Jade called out as she slowly made her way towards them. “I can possibly help you find the glade if you have a means of lessening the glare.” It was a longshot but Jade had few other choices. If she couldn’t find a way to get through the Dolwoods, she would just have to try and find her way back out and leave.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Foreboden!

The snap reaction from the argumentative woman was to tell Jade to do something that, unless she was particularly flexible or perhaps had a rather long tongue, wasn't something that was anatomically possible. Very grumpy!

At least the other one seemed somewhat more decent, though. "Pardon me, miss, but who might you be? And what help might you possibly give us?" Introductions, at least, would be nice.
Old April 4, 2016, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

Given the woman’s earlier tantrum, it was little surprise that she wouldn’t be the most pleasant of people. In hindsight, Jade probably should have introduced herself before interjecting herself into the situation but Jade didn’t always have the best people skills herself. She was a direct person who went straight to the issue but that apparently didn’t work here. Still, the woman’s question was valid and Jade nodded in the woman’s direction.

“My name is Jade. As for what I could possibly give you…” That was actually a good question. Perhaps she should have considered that before she approached them. Jade shrugged. “I’ve been in the Dolwoods before and if I was able to see, I might be able to actually lead you to the Enchanted Glade.” If they couldn’t anything to help clear her sight than Jade would be out of luck. “If not, I will leave the pair of you to your frustrations.”

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: