Old September 17, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maahes is an upstanding Citizen

Fantasy Mounts

I was thinking of seeking a valiant steed for my young lionoid paladin to ride into combat. He needs a strong fast mount capable of launching devastating assaults with a lance or spear. A standard war horse with barding would do just fine but I thought I would ask around and get other opinions, I'm sure there are cool fantasy equivalents out there. Maybe a giant lion or gryphon or hippogryph?

Would a lance be an effective weapon with a flying mount?
Old September 17, 2017, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Alphonsus is a benevolent Adventurer

There is a list of monsters here.

You would have IC knowledge of a Shadowstray that might become a good mount (Remember the eagle, the bear and the mountain lion that you fought?
Secrets :
The shadowstray is an extremely rare phenomenon. Little is known of its origins, for most are unaware of the existence of the creature in the first place. It is hypothesized by some that the creature was an accident, one of the early attempts at creating mortality, abandoned by the gods but never destroyed. The name of the animal comes from its black color and its unique ability to "dematerialize"--that is, the shadowstray can switch its existence between two states, a physical, material substance and an ethereal, "spirit" state. Though they are classified usually as animals and not as sentient beings, shadowbeasts are nevertheless extremely intelligent. They are known to lay traps for their prey--the creatures are primarily carnivores--and to have been proven to be extremely useful pets if one can gain their loyalty--no easy task.

Quote:
Would a lance be an effective weapon with a flying mount?
I don't see why not, but I always see a flier is one with more mobility. Hit and run tactics. Arrows and light weapons might be a bit more logical?

But Heavily armored flying mounts... Well, why not right?

Just a odd thought. A lionoid who worship a lion god, riding a lion into a battle. What fun!

S O F | Nature Musicorum
Posting Status: Caught Up, Hopefully
Medonia's Detective, Telath's Bard
Alphonsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maahes is an upstanding Citizen

Wow! The Great Panther sounds super sweet, I think that is what I will shot for. It's everything I was looking for plus some. Thanks Alphonsus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: